/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous threads: 60655017

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Sup
packages.gentoo.org/packages/media-video/mpv
gentoo.org/downloads/
touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters
youtube.com/watch?v=gB1N00wj3bw
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode
snapcraft.io/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org/software/bash/manual/
thefanclub.co.za/how-to/how-install-blackmagic-design-davinci-resolve-125-ubuntu-1604-lts
forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=50
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

there already is another thread
SAGED

->

Sage is not a downvote, fellow redditor.

no its to prevent the thread to be bumped
wich I did because there already is another thread

okay

why even reply in the first place?
many user will thought this is the real one because of the reply count
kill yourself, dumbfuck

>dumbfuck
Friendly thread.

bump

D E V I L I S H

Install Void

Short example how to use parallel; downloads all attachments ITT, with max 4 processes/jobs (for 4 cores):

curl -s 'boards.Sup Forums.org/g/thread/60672804' | grep -o 'i.4cdn.[^ ]*/[0-9]\+\.[a-z]\{3,4\}' | parallel --gnu -j 4 wget -nc -nv

OLD THREAD STILL ALIVE

Hi FLG,

I have linux Mint 18 installed on my computer.
I have an android phone.
I want to install android apps onto my android phone from linux mint.

Can I do this and if so, how?

Thanks.

KILL YOURSELF

>not using api

Just an example for parallel.

API solution:

Sup Forums-dl() {
board="$(printf -- '%s' "${1}" | cut -d '/' -f4)"
thread="$(printf -- '%s' "${1}" | cut -d '/' -f6)"
wget -qO- "a.4cdn.org/${board}/thread/${thread}.json" | jq -r '
.posts
| map(select(.tim != null))
| map((.tim | tostring) + .ext)
| map("

this is great
thanks

What should i name my new hard drive? Other 2 are storage drive and media drive after what they store, but idk what this ones primary use will be

so is this another docker?

it would be cool if i could test some code from git i would normally not trust or dont want to install all the dependencies for

is that what it's for?

How bleeding edge™ is Gentoo? When a package is released from upstream how long does it take to reach their repos? I'm thinking of switching, and very updated packages are something my autism cares about a lot.

packages.gentoo.org/packages/media-video/mpv
stable: 0.18.0-r1
testing: 0.25.0

>not using *9999
do you even bleed?

>not writing his own ebuild
do you even bleed?

>writing his own ebuild
>when theres already one available for mpv
top kek!

So I was using this script to batch convert my flac files into opus but when I noticed a small problem with a particular album. If the song name has a period in it, the script will cut the name off there for the renaming. How I can make it checks for more periods in the song name and only cuts when it finds the last period?

for i in *.flac;
do name=`echo $i | cut -d'.' -f1`;
echo $name;
opusenc "$i" "${name}.opus";
done

>update computer, including kernel
>reboot
>kernel panic
>reboot again
>works

Is my hardware dying?

WWhats the best cpu + gpu / system for linux? I know it doesnt run well with amd cards and likes to be botnet free

name=`basename $i .flac`
you can ommit ;

Why is it using 50gb? it is encrypted but that dont make sense now

du -s /run/media/nazrin
never trust gui

Ok, friendly friends. I'm new to linux and more or less decided on Ubuntu. Which image should I donwload? LTS or the newest one? I can upgrade the newest one manually after the support expires, right? Or maybe the newer one is bloated piece of shit? Pls halp.
My main uses gonna be internet browsing and programming.

gentoo.org/downloads/

I`m downloading packages, in the process of installing archlinux distro, I receive a message:
>error: failed retrieving file 'file' from arch.nimukaito.net: Could not resolve host:
But it`s still downloading the files, what went wrong, or did it just searched for other host to download it anyway?

botnet free? other than using a fpga i don't see what could guarantee you to be botnet free.

the best actually is probably intel + nvidia.

both are the most optimized and x86 will give you access to native gaming.

Newest one, always.

>bloat
Stop using buttwords, no one will take you seriously.

all it says is 24, im probably doing something wrong

It downloaded it from a different host in your mirror list.
I suggest manually editing the mirrorlist file after you're done installing and only using a few, handpicked hosts with the fastest download speed for you.

Ok, so I have some experience with linux, but more command line experience since I've been using the terminal on OSX and now windows (with WSL). On both systems I have fish, tmux, ranger, and I'm a heavy vim user.

Given that, I would like a distro that's not botnet, fairly lightweight in that it should not even have a WM installed since I'll be going with either i3 or AwesomeWM. Is Debian a good choice?

sounds like you need to edit your mirrorlist

10-4.

df -h

Much obliged.

Happy to help. Welcome to Arch !

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /dev
tmpfs 7.9G 74M 7.8G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 7.9G 1.5M 7.9G 1% /run
tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mapper/fedora-root 50G 4.8G 42G 11% /
tmpfs 7.9G 20K 7.9G 1% /tmp
/dev/sda2 976M 101M 808M 12% /boot
/dev/sda1 200M 8.3M 192M 5% /boot/efi
/dev/mapper/fedora-home 236G 1.9G 222G 1% /home
tmpfs 1.6G 32K 1.6G 1% /run/user/1000
/dev/dm-4 917G 77M 871G 1% /run/media/nazrin/Cheetara

it didnt have anything before, fresh drive

This means the files on the hard drive are 24 Kb

all its got on it is a single folder called Test with nothing in it, bit large but close enough

I'll switch to that some day.
Thanks.

>/dev/dm-4 917G 77M 871G 1% /run/media/nazrin/Cheetara
>77M

There. I think that's negligible. I don't know much about file-systems, but I think that's the space where it keeps data about inodes and shit. Or similar, which is normal.

What can I do when the
>ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/x/x /etc/localtime
Fails do to the symbolic file already existing?

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/x/x /etc/localtime

due* to the
I tried using nano on the file but it`s not something I could really edit.

Yeah, I received the error:
>In: failed to create symbolic link `/etc/localtime`: File exists

still a 50 gb usage is reported, though idk it its actually being used or not. i get that 1TiB is about 934GiB but the disks reported as 980. reckon its just a gui error? i hope so but am doubtful

Yes. You can also try an Ubuntu mini.iso install.

Most gentoo "packages" include a 9999 version of the package, which fetches the latest sources from the devs and compile that.

touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters

take your choice

so? delete /etc/localtime baka senpai

i was considering marisa, but then i thought touhou names should be reserved for users so i decided on thundercats for drive names

That`s wizardry, thanks!

>but it`s not something I could really edit
Are you sure you don't want to use sudo?

I deleted and made another one, it worked like said, but thanks!

Yes.

Which Radeon drivers are best if I play games on Steam?

Also, thinking of switching to Gentoo but only worried about compile time for firefox. How long does it take?

some people are saying its overhead thats pre allocated. 50gb really though? seems insane to think on top of a hdd not being 1tb ever i lose 5% of my hard drive to basically nothing. does NTFS do the same thing?

If you have a recent GCN-based Radeon card (e.g. Rx 200, Rx 300, RX 400, or RX 500 series) then you have two options:

Free amdgpu driver which is widely available. I hear it has better OpenGL performance than the proprietary driver (but I can't check myself right now, sorry).

Proprietary amdgpu-pro driver which is officially supported only on Ubuntu LTS, RHEL/CentOS, and SLED/SLES. It has good OpenGL performance and really great Vulkan performance. My FPS gains have been around 50% on Vulkan (tested on Talos Principle with RX 460).

quote your variables
stop using backticks, use $() instead

Thanks. I have RX 480 and I mostly play DOOM these days so I will go with the proprietary driver.

Anyone wants to help to complete it?
Font is Open Sans Bold.

You can download it straight from AMD's site and the installation is pretty straightforward.
Also, contrary to what is mentioned in the release notes, you *don't* need the LunarG Vulkan SDK to use Vulkan. At least not on Ubuntu. I haven't tested on CentOS.

I got myself some juicy NMI watchdog soft lockups, what did I do wrong?

is gnunet alternative for irc?

install gentoo, its the best os for gaming due to official steam support

That's very little information and even then it would be hard to debug.
But if you have an Intel CPU, the first thing to do is to check if microcode gets updated on boot.

if youre going to go for the proprietary driver it is my opinion to set up a windows partition and install games to that.

I installed arch following this:
>youtube.com/watch?v=gB1N00wj3bw
After I booted, put my passwords, the first command I typed, as the video explains is:
>df -h
To check the filesystem, then it got me stuck on soft lockups.
I haven`t started messing with kernel yet, yes, I am in an intel i7 gpu, GT540m graphic card.

steam games usually prefer the proprietary driver. Try the libre drivers (radeon for old cards, amdgpu for not-so-old cards) first thou.

whats the beat way to switch a hdd and an ssds data around?i want to move my arch install onto my ssd and my windows install onto the hdd.

I have arch with kde plasma 5 and want to install lxqt.
Do I need to uninstall kde first?

no, you change from login manager

You can try this and see if it helps: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode

Aye, will do.

It's not 50GB, it's 77MB.

im talking about the first post i made. it makes sense reserved space wouldn't show up under df - h if thats whats going on.

I can't get this shit to work. It keeps writing every flac into a single file named ".opus"

>one package manager to rule them all

snapcraft.io/

I'm too lazy to participate, but you always could put 'portability' or something like 'cultural preservance' on the right side, since you can port old DOS games to modern platforms and extend them, like with C-Dogs.
Based R. Westerman.

>snaps are universal linux packages
>Linux packages
>Linux

zcat /usr/share/doc/pasta/g/rms/interjection.txt.gz

for i in *.flac ; do
opusenc "$i" "${i%\.flac}.opus"
done

black magic of parameter expansion

Hey guys, during instalation I have wireless connection simply by editing netctl, but once I but it`s no longer present, even though I edit it, the internet doesn`t connect.
Does that mean I have a particular driver during instalation, which I have to install once again for it to work during the boot?

Spent the past 2 hours banging my head on my desk and all I had to do was parameter expansion. I really need to learn how to bash script.

Get the free PDF: linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Then you have the reference manual when you quickly need to find something: gnu.org/software/bash/manual/

Thank you.

Can anyone try installing Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve on their OS?

I tried Ubuntu, Manjaro, Fedora, and Solus, and all gave me the same issues, something about libssl.

Here's two different "guides" if you would like to try.

thefanclub.co.za/how-to/how-install-blackmagic-design-davinci-resolve-125-ubuntu-1604-lts
forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=50

The installer is a shell file.

Is there any stamdard utility that can strip ansi escape sequences from strings? I want to get rid of some color sequences. Currently using sed with a stupid regex.

How do you know programming but not linux?

Is linux-libre in the repo? I refuse to use propietary drivers.

x200 running Ubuntu. I've got 6GB RAM installed and 6GM swap. free -h shows that 1.2GB of memory is used but none of the swap is used. /proc/sys/vm/swappiness is set to 60. How can I utilize the swap space? I've got a program that requires a minimum of 4GB RAM and it won't be available if I'm running firefox at the same time.

Swap is orders of magnitude slower than RAM, so of course your computer tries to avoid using it if at all possible (even with swappiness of 60). When the RAM starts to get full though, it will start using the swap as needed. You don't have to worry about it.

Sed *is* basically the standard utility.

Not to say you couldn't use perl, python, awk or other tools, but even then it's generally going to be ideal to use regex.

> it won't be available if I'm running firefox at the same time
No, it should just start utilizing swap at that point.