Wtf i love pulseaudio

wtf i love pulseaudio

pulseaudio is fucking amazing when it works desu

thanks op
i missed stuff like that after transitioning to linux

You just made my day a little bit better, OP, thanks. I was just stressing over my kmail not working anymore. At least I can put my soundcard to work on Linux now.

Should I install pulseaudio now?

Pulse is good but that typical Linux ui is painful

>Thread #937 about pulseaudio being garbage and breaking shit gets created yesterday.
>Red Hat shills decides to make a thread to counter damage control.
>Starring pulseaudio in GNOME™ window

Friendly reminder that if you care about the quality of your music or want high fidelity playback you have to remove pulseaudio and install JACK.

Isn't the author of pulse audio the same guy that wrote LOLSYSTEMD?

Nice.

Does JACK have a graphical eq like in OP pic and set different volumes for each program?

Fucking based

Arch?

Ya

>tfw no PPA for ubuntu

What is this player?

Guess it's time to install Arch... or Antergos/Manjaro

It's Baka-mplayer. Despite its name, it's not a front-end for mplayer but rather a front-end for mpv which is why it's listed as mpv in PulseEffects.

Fuck this I'm installing antergos

If you can't compile it from scratch, what are you doing in Sup Forums? I checked the github page, it's not hard.

Yes. And much like systemd, the status quo it was replacing at the time was fucking horrific. There were like a half dozen different sound servers that all were shitty in different ways and never worked right. ALSA only played sound from a single process at a time unless you had a sound card with hardware mixing.

I think dmix existed, but either it wasn't common or its use wasn't common knowledge, and only patches the "I want to play sound from more than one application at a time" problem and literally nothing else. Do you still have to set up dmix by hand these days? Is there a single distro that has an ALSA + dmix configuration that works out of the box for most sound cards?

Why Linux decided to leave the problem of sound mixing to userland is anybody's guess. Then again, kernel-mode mixing isn't all roses either, since Vista's rewrite of sound to support per-process volume control also killed independent MIDI volume control.

well, they could've switched back to oss which they only abandoned because it went close source (it isn't anymore).

still don't know why a closed blob for GPUs is ok but when it comes to sound "omg we need something else no matter how shit it is, most important is it's FREE!!!". now we got shit pulsaudio on top of even shittier alsa.

PA shit the bed for anyone else recently? Hoping there's an update fixing my issues next time I upgrade. Performance took a hit and speakers are clipping/cracking. I tried troubleshooting, but nothing I was doing had any discernible effect. I know it's something with Pulse since it competes with my browser for core usage.

The reason why people choose ubuntu over arch is because they don't want to compile shit

all that pre processing should be done in the application and it should provide plain bits for /dev/dsp

It has been years since i had any problem related to pulseaudio, probably the last time was 2013. There's a lot of claims about lag and other things but personally i haven't found any of those.

Those are MS paid faseflaggers

probably.

>he fell for the meme

>Trash
Yes, it must be

Link to thread about Pulseaudio being cabbage?

not him, but i've been using jack and pulseaudio together for a while now

instead of "pulse > alsa" it's setup as "pulse > jack > alsa"
so volume is handled by pulse as usual in this setup
i did it like this because not everything supports jack directly

I lolled. But then again I remember when pulse audio was still new. The comic wasn't far from the truth.

>ubuntu ships with broken pulse once in 2008
>people STILL ON ABOUT IT 9 years later

Are you upset?

pshhaudio

Not really related, but linux sound is what saved me a fuck ton of headache when my headphone jack broke and was permanently stuck as "plugged in". hda-jack-retask did the job. Windows has shit. Theres the realtek config, but doesnt work for everything.

This is still true, though....

this

Nice setup user. What distro are you running? How much of a pain is this to setup?

>EQ bands just slightly different from the typical third octave setup
triggered

just arch
wasn't hard to setup
just install calf, jack2, qjackctl, pulseaudio-jack
configure pulse to have/use a jack sink
configure jack to use the (alsa) sound device you want to use
run calf and qjackctl
add/configure whatever calf plugins you want
can use any other jack plugins as well, doesn't have to be calf

the thing in op would probably be easier if it does what you need it to do, when i set this up all i could find for pulse native was a simple EQ and nothing else
reverb is great for headphones, and a compressor is great for poorly-mixed internet videos

Thanks a lot, user. I'll look into it.

missed something
also need to 'hook up' calf between the pulse input and the alsa output in jack

Oh shit. I remember fucking around with jack when trying to wire up a midi keyboard. It eventually worked. Thanks for posting the wire-up. It'll save me a half-hour of faffing about.

>No Satan Maximizer

what is the actual application of this in daily life or do you just install it and think its cool and then never use it again?

Is this kind of connection management supported by pulseaudio?

It's something I like about jack, but no enough to warrant changing my sound system.

you can pick which sources (programs) go to which sinks (output devices) in pulseaudio, separate to one another, if that's what you're after
there's a bunch of virtual sources/sinks like the one in op which you can effectively route through using just pulse

Anything as high-level as tat jack connection kit? Also, splitters.

sndio is superior

i really appreciate the auto-mute thing in alsa adds a nice level when using headphones

not really sure, i haven't looked that far into pulse
it's probably flexible enough to implement something like what jack does though

Do you not listen to music?

What is that theme/DE? It looks very neat.

I like the popping sound guns make in games when I set the treble high. However it makes YouTube sound bad will pulse audio help with this

How ever you set the treble high - just return it to default. If your speaking theoretically and not currently using an equalizer, then yes - the EQ in pulseaudio will work how you adjust it.

Do keep in mind that you will get audio distortion above zero decibels. You will have to play it by sound if you do not have a way to monitor this.