Vim vs Emacs

What editor does Sup Forums prefer

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jonathanslenders/pyvim
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Friends don't let friends be autistic.

Emacs + evil-mode

Vim for the moment, then I may graduate to Emacs + evil

Daily reminder that Emacs doesn't support tabs. In fucking 2017.

vi, like a sane person.

I tried Emacs, but I was already so used to Vim that the bindings made me go spagetthi.

Someday I may try evil.

Vim for quick reading/editing of config files and console usage. Emacs for everything else.

>Daily reminder that Emacs doesn't support tabs. In fucking 2017.

Are you fucking retarded?

Atom

I'm pretty sure emacs has had tab support longer than vim.

Lame

where is that nano fellow?
also nano for quick config, neovim for real stuff

Vim

It's always available, even on a fresh install, or on some oddball UNIX system.

It has buffers. Which you can switch between. And at their most basic, they can be used THE EXACT SAME WAY AS TABS. You fucking retard.

nano user here.

give me some reasons I should use either.

im seriously wondering, is there a real reason I should switch?

>Vim
ive seen distros only with vi

>Vim
>It's always available, even on a fresh install, or on some oddball UNIX system.

cat

Emacs + evil-mode is god tier

I mean one could use 'ed' too, but are we not men? Why use what our cavemen forefathers used?

Notepad++

As a grown man, don't have much time to waste learning a different same thing

emacs is more capable but vim key bindings are just better.

Notepad. You know why has never been changed since Windows 1.0?

Because it is most perfect piece of software ever compiled. There is no need to change.

Spacemacs Evil-mode

Atom, with Vim keybindings.

I just love Atom's file icons.

Sublime Text. No contest.

neither are used when writing cool code

just a few years ago there used to be much more debate on this, but just like in the real world, it's largely died down.

by and large, most of Sup Forums uses vim. but no one is really that autistic about it anymore.

because really emacs over complicates stuff and isnt an industry standard. you have to know vim in the workplace but you don't have to know emacs

emacs shorcuts is aids

Somehow I prefer emacs workflow although I think vim is a better pure editor. It's hard to explain. I've been using evil-mode and it's nice.

ed(1) is the standard text editor

False but vi is

Sublime > atom

This my good sir
Sys link dat shit for ez open
Unless on a server then vi because it's always installed

brackets

I like Vim, emacs makes no sense to me.

I vastly prefer Vim, however for one of my classes I have almost no choice but to learn Emacs (based in elisp and has deliverable org files). The class uses Spacemacs, and I use Vim mode, but I've never seen a Vim mode that works properly. They always completely miss the deeper functionality beyond "hurr I use j as a down key because I have down's" and regularly fuck up doing modes by getting confused whether we're in insert or normal modes. Learning two editors beyond an open a file and make edits, save, and close level of ability seems irritating to me.

>using proprietary software

Emacs > sublime

Who /GNU+Nano/ here?

vim and atom because I'm not edgy

>using a javascript based text editor
>basically using a web page as a text editor

kys

Visual Studio Code is comfy as fuck and I have no reason to try either Vim or Emacs.

I nearly started using nvim but the silicon valley guy said he used Emacs so I might go with that.
I'm worried about fucking up my hands though.

>thinking js engine can only work for the web
topkek

using some webshit technology is still way better than using propietary software

it's like tailing daily baths in mud vs swimming through pig vomit

this

Atom

The eternal debate....

Fuck it is , for Kek's sake get a modern fucking editor instead of using a meme editor from 25 years ago.

Spacemacs.

Taking advantage of both Vim and Emacs.

Vim, because I've never used Emacs, and most people I've come across hang shit on Emacs

Vscode :^)

The debate doesn't end there tho
GUI or Terminal?

I'm a newbie to vim.
I've installed nerdTree, what should I do next?

acme for ide, sam for editor

why would you use this over just vim?

write some code

vim because I learned it first.

I don't really have any problems with vim aside from disliking vimscript, but at the same time I am curious on something:
To anyone who uses some variant with vim-like keybinds, what are the differences and how difficult is it to transition? Did it help somehow?

I've seen weird names like spacemacs and evil mode, neovim, etc., but never really understood why there's so many of them and what they all do.

cat

evil mode - vim like keybinding and behaviour for emacs
spacemacs - emacs with pre installed theme and plugins running evil mode by default (basically emacs with someone config)
neovim - vim codebase cleaned, better defaults and plugin management incorporated

the flexibility of elisp

Edit master race

Emacs

>starting off by installing plugins
how stupid can you get

plugins are for dorks anyways.

Learn all the keys?

notepad2 by flo

i started using gvim recently cause sublime started to be to slow and i saw some cool vim things.

it's pretty cool, when i learn how to move around/search files faster, and how to edit multiple places at once i'll be set.

never tried emacs - how's it differnent from other editors ?

uninstall nerdtree and use netrw

Kate.
Vim was a waste of time for me.

I'm a vi clone conneseur.

I'm currently mostly using neovim at work.

But at home I'm actually playing with github.com/jonathanslenders/pyvim

if you want your left pinky to be in the shape of number 5 then use emacs

the vim logo could beat the crap out of the emacs logo

Which one is easier to copy-paste stuff?

ed is the standard text editor.

GUI except when CLI is necessary.

Literally notepad.

Emacs.

C- to start selection -> move cursor using key shortcuts, arrow keys, or god forbid, mouse -> C-w (to cut) or M-w (to copy).

To paste: C-y. If you need something you copied earlier, use M-y to scroll back through them. Not sure how it handles that when copying from other programs.

(Note for newbs: C- is a Ctrl-based key combo, M- is Alt-based.)

gvim