Who are high end desktop platforms for?

Who are high end desktop platforms for?

They're unnecessary for gaming. 7700K(>120Hz) or R5(60Hz) does that fine, more threads are not needed.

For streaming/personal video editing you have R7.

If rendering is your actual job, you render on a server (cluster), not the desktop PC. You're also looking at Xeon, not Threadripper or Skylake-X. Same goes for virtualisation and so forth.

So is the only use case epeen enhancement?

define "high end"

HEDT as in Threadripper and Lga2011. Binned server CPUs for consumers.

Well, many professional tasks need high end computing power that doesn't necessariky mean a server.

Like Modeling, Rendering, Video Editing, Simulations and scientific calculations.

There are many things tou can do with a high end desktop.

A server may not be the most optimal way in some cases.

Maybe you want each PC to have their own independent rendering and then the final project can be done in farms, for example

Render farm is still the cost-efficient answer.

As such, is HEDT for users with more money than competence?

It's so you can have the widest CPU around.

Unironically installing Gentoo.

Didn't they tell you that when someone asks on Sup Forums you tell them to install gentoo?
Because it makes gentoo compiling faster.

Now that I think more about it, it's clearly mainly for marketing. Users tend to buy their products from the manufacturer supplying the top dog on the market, even if they'd end up with a mid-end model.

For example, people avoid Rx 470 in favour of 1060. Obviously nvidia knows what they're doing when 1080 Ti is the best GPU!

I certainly don't need an 18-core CPU, but CPUs can be better than GPUs went you need accurate maths.

Why do we keep having to go over this? Are you Sup Forumsirgin retards really so uninformed or unimaginative that you can't imagine a use case for a PC outside of video games?

Nice reading comprehension, fgt

if an e-cafe can run a dozen or so thin-clients from one machine and save money - e-cafe's

Shut the fuck up Satan.

More threads is always better for rendering, encoding, machine learning, number crunching/data analysis, and a bunch of other workloads. Price for 16 core Threadripper will probably be similar to what Intel's been charging for 8-cores for years so it's not like this is crazy expensive. Now, the Core i9s on the other hand....

Nice reading comprehension, fgt

>widest CPU
you mean THYCCest?

[spoiler]we need someone to do a wide version of amada![/spoiler]

>why would you want a car other than a prius?????
>the speed limit is only XX anyway so you can't even go fast LOL upvote me guys XD
Stupid, dumb, nigger scum.

Because I have a small dick. Sue me.

Want to commute? Prius.

Want to haul? A truck.

Want to go fast? Racing car on track.

Want to off-road? Buy an off-roader.

Sports cars and SUVs aren't the real deal, but serve as status symbols. The HEDT of car world?

Can't help you there, my artistic skills are nil. I can still post more Amada, though.

Comfiest CPU.

THYCC
Engineers want moar cores. Also not everyone has a need or budget for a server farm. The chip isn't for you, move along. It doesn't mean it's useless. AMD didn't pull this out of their ass, they asked their customers what they wanted.

>i dont understand the appeal so it MUST be only for status
I knew I would trigger one of you /n/ fags

>it's clearly mainly for marketing.
No. This is retarded. They wouldn't put that time, energy and money into a chip for a marketing stunt.
Get fucked and go to bed.

it's for all the stuff you listed.
but more
and faster

It's worthwhile to do something with rejected server CPUs, since apparently people buy them.

God damn you're retarded.
That's more /o/
/n/ hates all cagers as a principle

How are these binned server chips?
Kek

/n/ or not, he's a mentally ill control freak that wants everyone to be as boring as him.

Of course people are free to buy them for whatever reason, but they're a compromise of a product for any practical use.

then you buy a proper workstation or build one with proper components not some hyped gaming cpu that is actually inferior to xeon workstation cpus

When I worked at vmware, the engineers there all had esx workstation boxes, same deal when I worked at a big data company, there were a lot of desktops form factor computers used for work.

Was thinking of getting a threadripper for my desktop because muh vms.

a huge server cluster is only cost effective at a certain size of a company. I worked at a smaller high tech company that had 100 people, getting 75 high end desktops and having one desktop support tech was more cost effective than getting a datacenter and a sysadmin.

Literally every car is a status symbol, sometimes the status is low.

Agreed
Kys
Shhh, that's too logical. He can't handle logic.

Unless they meet specific needs.

Because new cars don't offer the latest in safety tech and fuel efficiency, right? Who would want that nonsense.
Get fucked you drooling retard

>drive by wire introduced to save a few shekels for automakers
>it has 1 second of throttle lag
>marketing department: "Goyim, this is a safety feature. The delay is actually intended, trust us, we're the chosen people."

Can you fucking read? You are not addressing what I said at all.

Besides, buying a new car for fuel efficiency is the height of retardation, you will never ever make your money back during the life of your new car when you buy a car to save money.

Cars are status symbols, end of story, they are not investments. Sometimes your status is low and you drive a junker or something that goes from A to B, or you are trying to convey high status with luxury brands with a lot of safety features.

> electronic circuits
> noticeable lag by humans
lolno
I bet you think carbs is better than fuel injection too.
Cars can be investments, although that's rare and specialized. Usually they are not investments nor are they intended as such. I hardly think a Toyota Camry is a status symbol.
>poorfag is mad

>he thinks that status symbol automatically means high status.

nigger please

I want a Ryzen TR for daily x265 encoding.

GAYMERS BTFO

>what is processing time
>t. never drove a car
so /n/ it is

make -j 54

"You're a big CPU."
"For you."

>compiling code and not having it take 2 hours
>3d rendering
>video rendering
>intel compiler
>virtualization

Nobody asked for Bulldozer 2.0
The main complaint about Ryzen is its single thread performance
If only it had better IPC or was able to go beyond 4.1 with reasonable cooling, then it would truly btfo Intel but in its current state it simply doesn't

>If rendering is your actual job, you render on a server (cluster),
Bullshit, I use real time raytraced viewport all the time, often I have 10gb of textures or have to bake out procedural textures all the time. I can't wait for them to be copied across a network. Intel and 4 core morons made my life miserable for the last decade, xeon pricing and clock speeds are garbage, the 2p workstation xeons are always inferior to the best i7 they sell you, could typically buy 2x 6 core xeons and it would only beat the 6 core i7 by 20 or 30% due to low clocks and shit scaling. Of course 2x xeon + 2p mobo was 4 times more expensive.

I will take as many highly clocked cores as anyone will sell me, don't care about TDP.

everything is now designed for atleast octocores because of SoCs, think again

You sunk my battle ship.

>steering by wire
>brakes by wire

jesus, now steering and brakes? It's like they're purposely making cars unsafe to soon ban human drivers

yep, this boy right here has both

I also know the Alfa Gulia has brakes by wire but I'm unsure if it's steering by wire

Just end it already

>Everything
Anything which has to respond to user input immediately is absolute hell to multithread.

>have 10 people in company
>build a render farm

Lmao

Because I:
- can
- want to
- have money to do so
- no reason why I can't

Its the same reason I have an AR15 and STi. I am neither a solider or will be racing or drifting, but I wanted nice things.

Its not your money so don't worry about it.

>If rendering is your actual job, you render on a server (cluster), not the desktop PC
A server is the same hardware in a different form factor.
If my work is 3D graphics, I can use the same desktop PC for modeling during work hours, gaming during off hours and rendering in the night. There's a price bracket where a high end desktop CPU makes sense for that purpose.

>You're also looking at Xeon
Single-processor Xeons are pretty much the same CPUs but with ECC support (not everyone actually needs ECC) and for double the price. Multiprocessor Xeon configurations that beat high end desktop CPUs are in a completely different price bracket.

Are you seriously suggesting a render farm as a "cost efficient" solution for tasks that can be realistically run on a single 6900K?

Freelancers, selff employed, youtubers, small businesses, individual workstations.

You cant just hit a local store and grab a fresh Xeon off a shelf.

>mfw there's a 24/7 store where I can just go in and get a xeon

I'm going THYCC this summer for compilin', VM using, and being able to drop >64GB in my workstation.

>WAH! STOP CARING ABOUT MARKET SEGMENTS WHERE INTEL IS GETTING BTFO'D THE FUCK OUT!

adobe still think two cores are enough for anyone (maybe because that's all you get in a memebook pro)

>They actually named it threadripper
>Living up to the meme
Top fucking kek

>Also, AMD fags really this autistic to photoshop a meme.

Did someone say memes? Perhaps you'd like some mayo with that?

If I delid you would you die?

But intel literally turned around and shit out more cores in response to AMD

Pretty meh senpai

This is a joke, right? You pull this out of wccftech's asshole?

the butthurt is real

Higher perfs always better unless intel is just shilling lower perf to protect their server margins

alot will move to cloud based processing anyway

Well, there wasn't much to improve on IPC anymore so going for more cores seems reasonable.

On the other hand AMD has a lot of catching up to do before even announcing something called "thread-ripper"
I mean is there even a usage scenario where an 1800X is fully utilized ? I don't think so.
In fact many people already turn of hyper-threading to get more single thread performance out of it.

>SUV
>as a status symbol

>I mean is there even a usage scenario where an 1800X is fully utilized?
not if you're a Sup Forumsermin

>so going for more cores seems reasonable.
Until you realize Intel's arch can't scale for shit while Zen is designed to scale.

>I mean is there even a usage scenario where an 1800X is fully utilized ? I don't think so.
Anything that uses a shitload of cores like 3D rendering, video encoding, compiling, etc.

If you don't need all the damn cores, just get an 1600X. Or a 7700K if you need that 25% of single core performance to really matter.

>640k ought to be enough for anybody

Some people would like to be able to turn off/suspend their computer rather than leave it on for the whole day. It also enables versatility for the users who do multiple things and allieviates network dependencies. Particularly important for a lot of people who work in engineering. We build the models, mesh, and set boundary conditions all on HEDT but we also want to make models in a lot of other programs, COMSOL, ANSYS, star-ccm, elmer, abinit, openfoam, ... The cluster is a good back end for final projects when you set the mesh size real fine but not really when you're working on multiple models in different programs.