>win32 api wrapper

Linux also has
Snake
Ninvaders
And tron.
All in the repo
There you go there are your games

stop teasing Microsoft shitposting shills department, they get bucks for this

Linux has more and more ported games. Steam is in Linux. Or just go to Gog.com and put all the Linux games. 14 pages. 651 games for Linux at least. And not exactly Tron and Snake.
And Wine is more and more powerful and can run powerful things. Like Shadows of Mordor.
I want to make some gaming tests in Linux. Just to see. I'm a bit tired of Windows and his problems.

Currently playing Hollow Knight on Arch lol you faggots.

>Linux has more and more ported games.
True, too bad it's not the ones I'd want to play

>Steam is in Linux.
Steam is shit

>Or just go to Gog.com and put all the Linux games. 14 pages. 651 games for Linux at least.
That includes games running via DosBox

>And Wine is more and more powerful and can run powerful things.
Still the best bet for playing games on Linux

>Shadows of Mordor
Is available on GNU/Linux without WINE.

Keeping gaymers away from Linux is a good idea. It's also a good idea to ban Windows user-agents here to keep gaymers away from Sup Forums.

>Arch
Reddit Linux, no thanks, I'd better stick with Gentoo.

That is an emulator

Wine is not an emulator.

wine on linux is hardly any different to win32 on NT

Super Tux Cart is the only game I need.

Wine Is Not A Game (WING)

>expecting anyone on Sup Forums to know that win32 is an environment subsystem

This is linux admitting that windows has the best games.

i wouldn't be pointing it out if i thought they knew it already

>Not playing the Tux flagship game

>an emulator is not an emulator
What the fuck does this mean?

Aside from money, why is it a pain in the ass to make linux play games?

It would be so much better if I didn't need to use windows.

it was originally "WINdows Emulator", but changed to avoid confusion
it's an emulator in the basic definition of the word, "to act like something else". but in the context of computing, emulator usually refers to machine emulators, software which emulate the hardware of another machine
wine is not a machine emulator like qemu or virtualbox

It isn't that hard. But if a developer uses/likes very specific game engine then it's limited by that engine. That's why Fnaf had Windows and Android/iOS ports, but not GNU/Linux port. It's not something tied with developer's skill or money.

A method to run Windows games that use Windows APIs by emulating the said Windows APIs on Linux.

an emulator runs a process inside of a virtual environment

wine translates low-level commands on the fly to interface directly with the process

imagine it like this:

you want to talk to a french person.

an emulator would be a room that when you are inside it, you can suddenly speak french fluently.

wine is like using google translate for every sentence you say. hence why it works most of the time, it's buggy and falls apart often

That analogy is completely shit.
In both cases you're translating shit constantly. That's what emulation means: Translate instructions for another machine to instructions for your machine.
The thing is, most Windows executables run on the same hardware as linux does: x86. You don't need to do any hardware-level translation. All you need to do is translate the OS library function calls and filesystem to something that is compatible with linux.
A proper analogy would be:
An emulator is when you're literally translating what you're saying to another language.
WINE is when you're merely speaking with another accent, and you need to provide the environment for your words to sound slightly differently.

Wine Is Not an Emulator, it's a compatibility layer.

Currently playing Stellaris and it runs on Linux way better then on Windows, my dudes.
But I kinda miss some autistic games like Eve Online or Diablo III, where you can just turn your brain off completely after hard day at work and just farm while listening music and sorting your music library. I can use Wine, I guess, but it sounds like becoming a faggot.

This tends to be a case with quite a few games run under Wine. I wonder why that is.
Is there a chart with games that run under Wine and FPS and such?
I'm sure I remember seeing one years back.

The most I used to run under Wine was AWicons, some little Icon making program that was really neat. (2005~)
I still have it. I run it in a Sandboxie sandbox since it has a trial and I am too lazy to crack it. Easier to just copy-replace the whole sandbox by script automatically. Not changed it in 10+ years.
Also Brainwave Generator. Replaced that with sbagen.

i think i see what the other guy was trying to say

think of the room being the machine, where a different room constitutes a different architecture
lets say the rooms are designated for particular language-speakers, english room, french room etc

an emulator like qemu would be like creating a small "french room" inside an english room, which french speakers can use
and wine is more like a french person being in the english room proper, accompanied by a translator (wine) in order to properly use the english room

stellaris has a linux native version
though it works great in wine as well, i've used both

Just install Windows, play gaymes and get out of this board to Sup Forums. You are a cancer. Sup Forums must be decontaminated from gaymers and pajeets.

And yet 80% of them are wine ports, even steam games (excluding Source2 games). Rocket league, Don't starve, Terraria, they're all wine ports. Since this is emulation it will result in a shittier performance. Significantly shittier, at least 20% worse. There are few native Linux games.
I'm a Linux user and I game on it, so take it from me.

It's not. UE4, Unity and GameMaker can compile a native Linux game. Developers are just lazy or retarded.

>linux don't have X game / X software
>WHAT IS WINE xDDDDD
>try wine
>nothing works
>visit wine forum
>only about 0.01% of software are actually supported and working
>BUT JUST USE WINE XDDDDDDD
nice meme

>Since this is emulation it will result in a shittier performance. Significantly shittier, at least 20% worse.
[citation needed]

>This tends to be a case with quite a few games run under Wine. I wonder why that is.
wine can be very competitive when it doesn't need to translate direct3d (for example, if the program use opengl, d3d9 with gallium nine, or simply doesn't use hardware 3d at all)

Whats going on, have underage finally embraced linux and have gotten bored that quickly

Decontaminate yourself. There is nothing bad in playing games. It's just a relaxing hobby like growing vegetables or something. If hating games makes you feel more adult than you are, then you are probably in your teens. If so, take care about your future, not about Sup Forums.

Compare killing floor on linux and on windows. It will get a 10 times lower framerate. It's a wine-port.
And what citation do you need? An emulation is ALWAYS slower than the real thing. At least on the same hardware. You can't have something running directly/natively run worse than a mere translation.
Here;
youtube.com/watch?v=yBI5tsa1inY

True, but many that don't and pretty good ones. And if you don't like Steam, is still there. Don't matter what you want but the options that are there. I'ts like saying "There's any RTS because I don't like Warcraft, Starcraft and Age of Empires"

I didin't knew that! Great!

wine literally stands for wine is not an emulator

not really, JIT/dynamic compilation is a thing, you can do stuff runtime you can't at compile time

>Metal Gear Rising Revengeance works perfectly on Wine
>But I can't make my Xbox controller work with wine

This is extremely frustrating, does anyone know how to make it work? The controller works perfectly for anything not Wine related btw.

no its no
>wine
>is
>not
>an
>emulator
winae

Are you literally a motherfucking faggot?

>triggered linuxtard

>An emulation is ALWAYS slower than the real thing.
you realize you're responding to an example of a case where wine is running a game faster than windows, right?

Fuck up, autist.
I bet you don't even watch anime.
Call yourself a Sup Forumseek? GET OUT.

downloaded killing floor, the windows version
running it with wine
seems to run well enough, the game is very much cpu-bound, which wine is generally good with, since wine doesn't emulate a cpu

cpu: fx8320 @ 3.9GHz
gpu: hd7850, 2G

>Wine
no wonder it has no fucking game, whores prefer champagne.

Wine is not for Enjoyment

I used to play war thunder, it has native linux version, ran just fine, for whatever reason ping was even lower than on windows (same machine and same connection)

>Tfw dark souls 1 ran better on Debian WINE than native windows

>This tends to be a case with quite a few games run under Wine. I wonder why that is.
Because not even d3d9 is completely finished and it just puts out stubs for not implemented functions. Basically giving more fps at the cost of missing effects. Be it a tonemap or some aliasing, things you don't really see if you don't put the windows native one and wine one side by side.

here it is with the directx9 renderer, all maxed out
still cpu-bound, hanging around my refresh rate (72Hz), despite vsync being off

>try to play starcraft
>error: fsfdsfsdf.dll is not supported yet

Wine runs at 50% the efficiency of even the worst windows installation

>Food analogy

video games are the artform of the 22nd century

>playing free-to-play pay-to-win game on a free-to-play free-to-win system

hmm.

>wIne iS nOt An emUlAtoR

looks like it was vsync'd anyway
forced it off in my driver, notably faster

I installed Linux just for this

>vsync
vsync always drags down performance without any noticeable improvement. It's like if you have screen tearing, you already have bigger problems that vsync wont fix

vsync is meant to fix screen tearing
you have problems if vsync doesn't fix tearing

Wine is not an emulator.

only with gallium nine desu

not much of an exception considering how many dx9 games there are
and i only needed one example to counter his "always runs slower"

alcohol is not a game, kid

Oh cool, does it runs directx 11?

Yep

>i pull out numbers from my ass

Do you even know how Wine is made? It's basically a reimplementation of the Win32 API, so it's not even a surprise that some API calls on Wine perform better than on Windows.

On the other hand, performance drop in gayming is more of a matter of either poor driver quality or unsupported DirectX call (no translation to recent OpenGL calls so they have to rely on software implementation of the call). Also, the kernel parameters may have an influence on latency and I/O blocking, which impact performance. Servers and gayming rigs should run with different kernels for optimization;

It's starting to.
Overwatch and deus ex director's cut work now.

That's just dark magic that sets up smokes and mirrors try to make games run.

store.steampowered.com/search/?os=linux
> 7880
> linux has no game

Why is it so FUCKEN HARD to play H games on non-windows machines?

Is it?

this is like needing a dongle

:/

such as?

it natively has War Thunder though.

>Since this is emulation
How to spot false flagging wincucks.

Wine is NOT an emulator

nigger what about those who use linux with agent spoofers?

I'd drink myself into a stupor too if I had to deal with Linux for games.

This is pretty much required given how many sites completely shit them bed if they look at your user agent and see anything other than Windows. Nevermind that the site works fine and there would be no issue in the first place if they hadn't tried to do anything different based on the UA.

barely any games are optimized as well on linux though. it's a rarity

i never got wine to work with any game

i have difficulty breathing

What's your stance about Funtoo?

i too drink lots of alcoholic beverages just as a "game" op

Buggy shit. Gentoo is better