Finding Linux Software

Where do you go to discover Linux software that you didn't know you needed?

Other urls found in this thread:

appimage.org/
bintray.com/probono/AppImages
gpo.zugaina.org/Browse
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Try to compile anything

I just put randomly generated sets of 3 constants and vowels together and google them. Sometimes cool shit happens. Found zfs last Tuesday.

>search startpage with generic keywords
>open source: check
>actively developed or at least not dead: check
>not bloated with dependencies to build, or non-essential dependencies are well documented: check
>does what I require: check
>google
This is a technology board, please upgrade to a free search engine.

Go #linuxmasterrace on snoonet, start a stupid argument about how linux suck they will show you awesome stuff because you are wrong

I don't. If I need something done I ask Sup Forums-sama to recommend something that does that. If I can't identify a need then I don't really need it, and if I don't need it then it's bloat.

>free search engine.
But what if I want to actually find stuff?

Startpage gives you google search results, but depersonalized and anonymous (i.e. non-botnet).

alternativeto.net type in what you want replaced or want

Why are freetards so hostile to anyone that does not do everything the same way they do?

Why can't people just use an OS? Suddenly they have to change everything they do.

Shit's eerily similar to intersectional feminism, where they want you to suddenly become vegan just because.

Get fucked

> If I can't identify a need then I don't really need it
That's where you're totally wrong.

Wrong. Startpage is botnet. Only YaCy is truly free.

portage

>Why are freetards so hostile to anyone that does not do everything the same way they do?

We took the red pill very long ago.

underrated

>implying any service that doesn't charge money to use will give you something without a catch
Honestly your best bet is to use an anonymization service where you can get a random IP address, and use it to perform a google search with personal results turned off, scrape the results, convert the links to non-google tracking links, and open them normally. Realistically, just turn off private results if you care.

is the new Jackie Chan Pajeet movie any good?

join an irc channel and ask

>service
at least look up what yacy is before you make assumptions

appimage.org/

Nice. But how is it safe to download shit outside a repository?

lel, do you know the guy in charge of your repository?

Ubuntu is a multi-billion brand. I'm sure they're paranoid about everything security related and triplecheck everything.

you are very naive if you think all their mirrors are totally under their control. a nsa agent could access a mirror and use a script like

if client.ip = ...
send infected package
else
send normal package
end

if an appimage has a backdoor or something, it's the developer himself that is blamed and blacklisted.

bintray.com/probono/AppImages

They check package signatures provided by Ubuntu.

>being paranoid about the NSA
There's so much to worry about and so many bad actors but realistically the NSA is never even one of them. If you even have a problem with the NSA that actually says a lot about your activities not theirs.

isn't zfs IBM owned proprietary thing?
can it be used on any linux distro?

>They check package signatures provided by Ubuntu.
and how they do that?

>There's so much to worry about and so many bad actors but realistically the NSA is never even one of them. If you even have a problem with the NSA that actually says a lot about your activities not theirs.
that's not what the leaked documents say

>>They check package signatures provided by Ubuntu.
>and how they do that?
When you download a package they check if it's corrects and give you a warning if it's not.

>that's not what the leaked documents say
At least they have documents and some oversight unlike many other spy agencies of various regimes that are also part time criminals.

gpo.zugaina.org/Browse
Found warsow and xonotic from the games-fps.

OMG Ubuntu and MakeUseOf have great articles on Linux software

It's made by sun and opensourced long before the cuckoldry of oracle. openzfs is available on linux.

that doesn't answer the question. how they verify if a package is correct or not? how the hash is retrieved?

>xonotic
Truly one of the only video games worth playing

>how the hash is retrieved?
From Ubuntu servers.

Zero argument.

see if client.ip = ...
send infected hash
else
send normal hash
end

>consonants and vowels

We just call those letters, user

Hopefully it's not so easy to do like you imagine.

kek

just surf the arch linux wiki

I think about what I want my computer to do that it doesn't do and then I Google around to see if someone was written a program to make the computer do it.

First post best post.

when you do apt-get install x, the package manager download the package then verify if its hash is the same as the one from the release file which contains the hashes of all packages. The release file is also retrieved from the mirror.

How about Sup Forums? one of the packages that took me a long time to find is called "command-not-found". It takes the generic "gparted: command not found" error message and instead outputs a much more useful error message

Command 'gparted' is available in '/usr/sbin/gparted'
The command could not be located because '/usr/sbin' is not included in the PATH environment variable.
This is most likely caused by the lack of administrative priviledges associated with your user account.
gparted: command not found

or it'll tell you if you just mistyped the command

No command 'gpatted' found, did you mean:
Command 'gparted' from package 'gparted' (main)
gpatted: command not found

I mean lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that the linux does not have. You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

>The release file is also retrieved from the mirror.
Its hash is checked? Then doesn't matter where it's retrieved from.

>spy agencies of various regimes that are also part time criminals
scatterittothewinds.jpg

there is a .pgp file that is also on the mirror.

fuck off cuntface

>have something I need to do, for example edit an anime
>google "linux image editor"
>find one that looks decent

emerge -s [search term]

> If you even have a problem with the x mass surveillance
>leaks left and right