Are Macs a good value proposition

compared to PC over their entire lifetime?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201624
pcworld.com/article/2856052/grueling-endurance-test-blows-away-ssd-durability-fears.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

resell is higher, but pc's are more upgradable and last longer for the same money

Only if you don't value your life.

>buy mac
>cant afford house insurance

>rent
>insurance

Yes. Mine still work flawlessly using the most labor intensive gear like apogee hardware

build a desktop or buy a used business laptop

Nothing says "Ghetto Rig" like old assett tags on your laptop and plain vanill pressmetal case on the desktop.

That's a thing ya dip

i have a 2012 imac with an i3 that can barely run yosemite

like it literally lags for ~10 seconds when i open chrome and videos stutter all the time

it actually ran fine until i updated to yosemite, so idk what was up with that. i might downgrade but i really dont use it so its kind of whatever. i would have put it in my moms house to use, but not the way it is its too slow.

if you like OSX you can build a pc that will run hackintosh perfectly, which is probably a better bet

Yes!
I paid €1200 for my MB Pro in 2011, I get €750 back if I trade it for a new one :)
Also Macbooks last much longer than Windows computers:
10 different hardware configurations made for 1 operating system in the same factory
vs
10 billion different hardware configurations made for 1 operating system in more than 100 different factories

Huh. So someone paid you $750 for a 6 year old laptop (to probably resell for even more) insteqd of getting a mid-level laptop with up to date specs and better performance. Are Apple fans really this retarded?

Well I got my $3200 MBP for $700 in 2012.

I would say it's an incredibly deal. Resale value has kinda tanked on eBay though.

>apple has far simpler product line
>still manages to be as bad as dell with 50 different product lines

Christ Apple is a fucking joke.

Year 1: Buy PC and Mac of comparable specifications

>$1K PC
>$3.5K Mac Pro

Year 3: Upgrade

>$300 PC processor or GPU
>$3.5K Mac Pro

Year 5: Upgrade
>$600 PC processor, motherboard, misc (ie drives, cooling)
>$3.5K Mac Pro

Total cost to keep up with modern technology:
>$1900 PC
>$10,500 Mac Pro

> for the same money

For less money actually

>Macbooks last longer than Windows devices
Haha, funny story

support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201624

>Apple has discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products with no exceptions. Service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products.
>When applied to Apple Retail Stores and these operating regions, products on the U.S. vintage list (all models) are considered obsolete.
>Vintage products are those that have not been manufactured for more than 5 and less than 7 years ago.

tl;dr if you own any Apple product from 2012 in the civilized world or 2010 in America, Apple will actively hunt down and deauthorize any service shop that tries to fix it.

>Apple will actively hunt down and deauthorize any service shop that tries to fix it
Who the fuck even goes to official shops?
They are 3 times more expensive
I ways to to either general electronics stores if I need something fixed by soldering on the pcb or buy the shit myself and repair it at home following ifixit guides

That's a complicated issue, actually. The issue is mainly that Apple won't ship repair parts to repair shops they're partnered with. And even the 5-7 year span is better than what you can expect in terms of support for most OEM Windows PCs. And, for what it's worth, that just means that the non-standard, laptop-specific parts can't be serviced anymore. Basic stuff like HDDs and RAM can still be serviced -- and is serviced all the time -- on 2012 and older Macs.

If you're well outside of warranty, it's not too bad of an idea to DIY repairs, but if you're in warranty, you want an authorized repair shop. Unauthorized repairs not only void your warranty, they actually render your device completely ineligible for service.

Don't cherry-pick the Mac Pro. It's an embarrassingly bad product that Apple has literally publicly apologized for. If you want to make a credible argument, you should be talking about one of the MacBooks, or at *least* the Mac Mini.

You'd be amazed how well old MacBooks hold up. I know I was, when I first saw it.

RIP in peace Tibby

>what is renter's insurance

Time to move out of mommy's basement

Why would anyone buy a Mac desktop?

I think this is what you meant to post:

Year 1: Buy Surface pro and Macbook pro
>$1200 surface
>$1300 mac

Year 3: Upgrade
>$1200 surface
>$0 mac (still running fine!)

Year 5: Repeat year 1 steps.

Is this an American thing? You guys pay fees for everything

Funny you say that because my Surface is running just fine, updates actually helped battery life
Meanwhile my roommate's Macbook Air overheats while playing Youtube videos

What windows laptop rivals this?

No that's not American thing. Even here in communist Finland we have it.

What shitholes are you guys renting where landlords don't have good home insurance?

The landlord's policy covers thier shit, not yours...

As I said, shitholes with shit insurance policies

User of a mid-2010 MacBookPro. It has served me well for ~7 years but even after all the upgrades i did it's starting to get pretty obsolete.

The upgrades were:
- ssd instead of original hard disk
- ram maxed out (8GB for this particular model, unfortunately)
- replaced DVD reader with a 2.5" hard disk for storage

It runs Yosemite and Windows 7. Haven't tried windows 10 on this machine but i wouldn't update either system for fear of slow downs.
Also can't run most games. The video card doesn't support directX 11 on windows so it's a bummer.

If you want to get an apple laptop i would advise against anything post-2012 because they're a lot less upgradable. They started soldering ram and in some cases ssd's to the mobo, which is madness.
New macs are just shit. Avoid them like the plague. The next computer i'm gonna get will be a laptop from XMG. Hopefully it will last as long as this one but get less obsolete over time.

most modern* games. It runs older titles just fine, just don't expect to run anything new at more than low graphic settings.

In defense of soldered SSDs, the current crop of SSDs are so fast that the interface is now the bottleneck. You could replace the SSD with something that offers more storage, but you couldn't make it any faster. Also, wear tests indicate that the SSD will most likely outlast literally every other part of the laptop.

>Also, wear tests indicate that the SSD will most likely outlast literally every other part of the laptop.
really? you mean those SSDs or SSDs in general? I once heard that, being somewhat of a newer technology, they usually last about 4 years. I never looked into it myself though, is this something? are you implying the laptops won't last 4 years?

MTBF is often listed at approx. four years, but actual failure rate statistics indicate that the realistic lifespan of an SSD is far, far longer.

pcworld.com/article/2856052/grueling-endurance-test-blows-away-ssd-durability-fears.html

>Haven't tried windows 10 on this machine but i wouldn't update either system for fear of slow downs.
Nah, win 10 is faster for laptops, from personal experience.

Also, for what it's worth, I work at an Apple repair shop, and while I have seen a *fuckload* of Macs with dead HDDs, I have never, not even once, seen one where the issue was a hardware failure on the SSD's part. Corrupted filesystems, yes. Hardware failures, never. And, remember, Macbooks have been coming with SSDs standard since 2012-2013.

From my thinkpad user experience pre 2014 macbooks are actually better, lift the back panel and you can change everything.

Air ruined everything

get a mac mini and tear it open, best purchase of my life

Not everyone can live with thier parents forever user...

If your device is deemed obsolete, how the fuck is it going to be in warranty
And if it is in warranty and you broke it, warranty won't cover it anyways, so why go to official support

>1.4 GHz i5
user...
Even the MBA has a Master cpu...

Not "someone" an official Apple reseller. And yes, it probably gets sold to the second hand market for a little more but at least I don't have the hassle.