Chrome Won

According to former Mozilla CTO; Andreas Gal:
"it’s pretty clear that Firefox is not going anywhere. That means that the esteemed Fox will be around for many many years, albeit with an ever diminishing market share. It also, unfortunately, means that a turnaround is all but impossible."
>andreasgal.com/2017/05/25/chrome-won/

Other urls found in this thread:

guidingtech.com/59385/battery-conserving-mac-browsers/
makeuseof.com/tag/safari-vs-chrome-os-x-browser-right/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-tabs/
robert.ocallahan.org/2017/06/webassembly-mozilla-won.html?m=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

^Former CTO who pushed Firefox to the side in favor of worthless IoT projects like FirefoxOS

Firefox has been digging it's own grave for a very long time now. The general public has now embraced the botnet.
>Mozilla f----d up hard

I was with firefox since 2006, abandoned that thing it degenerated into few months ago. I don't care now, let it rot and die.

It triggers me so hard that people unironically use the piece of shit called "Safari" over Firefox.

It's from "all devices" which I assume includes mobile. All browsers except safari are crippled on iOS.

Safari is really efficient on a Mac. Smoother response, less CPU, less battery than the rest of the browsers. Firefox became a nightmare and would drain your system down if not plugged in.

Wonder how long it will take until Canocial replaces Firefox with Chromium, as per-installed browser in Ubuntu?

The eminent death of Firefox when it's hits 57 (and ditches gecko for web extensions) is the end of an era for me. Then the last part of the old web is dead.

where's my 0% market share waifu browser?? :^(

Listed under "chrome", just like all of it's forks.

>Smoother response, less CPU, less battery than the rest of the browsers.
That's not true, user. I'm a webdev and we have to test our webaps on everything available, which includes PCs, adroid phones, iPhones and Macs with all the available browsers.

Safari on Mac works slower than both Chrome and Firefox, takes more resources and is generally less stable.

>former Mozilla CTO; Andreas Gal:

Hmmm... I wonder who is helping to fund his current projects... rlly makes u think.

Why does having the largest market share matter? Just make it a browser for power users.

>and ditches gecko for web extensions
lolwut

I'm about finished with my CS degree and everything I used to like about computers is going away at high speeds. How short sighted I was.

Not on my Mac it doesn't

Firefox was so bad when I had multi-tabs surfing Sup Forums, I would hang and the wheel would appear until I quit.
It also uses more battery and CPU, that was easy to tell. Don't know how you test it, but we are experiencing very different results and the internet would agree with me and not yourself.

be the future you want to see

I don't understand why so people keep going on here how firefoxs keeps fucking up. Fucking up what? It's a browser, it browses and that's it. Some five years ago I used oper 10 or 11 until it couldn't load captcha no more and then I switched to firefox. Almost nothing fucking changed.

>plugins and customization are pretty much the main reason people use Firefox
>the devs fill FF with useless shitty UI and features that no one asked for, breaking plugin compatibility in every update and turning a functional design into a Chrome-like mess
>somehow surprised when people turn away from Firefox
really makes you think

Firefox needs a search page that's #1 and then they can spam get firefox now forever as they make a comeback.

Yeah but muh marketshare. That's what's really important with a web browser. It's not browsing that's important but knowing that *other people* are using your browser.

no it didn't. chrome is the worst browser
stop posting your shitty blogpost

only important to the ceos because search shekels

Placebo

anyone elses firefox been using crazy amounts of memory the last week or so?

That hasn't been the case for years

Literally how

Apple blocks other rendering engines. The "other" browsers are just reskinned safari.

They're not crippled though, they're just all Safari with different UIs.

There's a couple of problems. The javascript engine in safari's webkit is slow and inefficient, the rendering engine is slow and lagging behind on HTML5 compliance. I think Apple's blocker thing only works in Safari also. They also don't allow addons so Firefox for iOS is almost completely useless.

delusional

All but the adblock are problems with both Safari and other browsers, so the other browser's aren't crippled in comparison to Safari in those respects.

>They're not crippled though, they're just all Safari with different UIs

That is exactly what makes them crippled. Last time I checked, Safari was somewhere between IE8 and IE9 in standards support, and used -webkit- prefixes for everything that ever used those prefixes.

But in comparison to Safari they aren't crippled.

They're crippled compared to their desktop and android counterparts. The intentional limintations introduced by Apple have removed all reason for anyone to use them so people don't.

>limintations
limitations*

Fire him and get someone competent

He obviously doesn't want to work on firefox

But we're talking in comparison to Safari, not non-iOS browsers.

They're crippled because they're not able to work at 100%, they have to work at Safari's "100%". It's like letting an average person compete against professional runners but you tie everyone's legs together and they all have to hop to the finish line together.

You're fucking dumb.

They should quit their stupid diversity and code of conduct and other political bullshit and make performance and stability their top priority again.

Also rip out some of the bloat.

Do more social justice

What's worst is people on a technology board using a browser which integrates botnet as a feature.

Seriously what other viable option is there? I am using Firefox but still don't want the google botnet.

guidingtech.com/59385/battery-conserving-mac-browsers/
>Safari beat all the other browsers on the Mac in terms of power efficiency. In fact, it really wasn’t even close. Some of the other browsers had higher energy impacts without video than Safari did with video.

makeuseof.com/tag/safari-vs-chrome-os-x-browser-right/
>Indeed, studies have shown that Safari can provideup to an additional hour of battery lifecompared to Chrome, which is significant when you’retraveling with your laptop, doing work on an airplane, or even if your power goes out for a night.

Post empirical evidence instead of "here's why you should listen to me" tier comments.

That curve for the chrome users is Apple levels of data faggotry

I'm saying it works slower, you're providing an evidence it has lower power usage while working slower.

Was that a refute? I didn't quite get it.

Taking more resources equates to more power usage idiot. Seems you can't into basic arithmetic either

Edge is the future.

>turn a good browser with original ideas into yet another shitty Chrome clone

>be surprise when people rather use the original than the shitty copy.

I still use firefox because it is the only browser that has the cookies or whatever it's called to sign into sad panda.

Instead of trying to sign in again, I just transfer my firefox profile from the appdata folder on to my new PC.

I unirroncially use Opera daily

Japanese love Halfus though

It also equals working slower, which was my point. I can't give two shits about a browser having less power usage if it throttles itself down to do so.

>Fucking up what? It's a browser, it browses and that's it.
all browsers are more or less the same in javascript performance, really, kys if youre post any benchmark, theres some exception to some situation but lets move on

then theres the whole tinfoil concerns, chrome and chromium have binary blobs and communicate with google...

aside from just security from unpatched exploits, but all browsers have active teams patching up exploits, except for thoserunning old opera12 i believe...and idk about firefox-forks like palemoon, and chromium forks like otterbrowser, and other browsers with little or solo maintainers.

what lures many to firefox are the extensions (and in the lack of those, i guess would be the freedom from google), from about:config and noscript, to librejs and greasemonkey, it was supposed to let you in control, not the website's hostile code, or http headers, or https best practices... but with every update firefox devs keep neutralizing your hability to control stuff.

its so fucking infuriating because they are clearly doing this on purpose, from some fucked up LGBTFeminism maternal perspective, they recognize its too easy for any user to search an about:config entry to change something, that Might cause harm if not used on a browser profile for some specific use, then they just delete the check for that about:config, then we have to resort to fucking with the RDF files.

some stuff you have to add a new entry in some rfd file for each domain, instead of a about:config entry that would make it generic... mozilla corp wants to decide for me the risks i take or not

To be fair there's no way to tell between Safari and other web browsers on iOS, they all have essentially the same Useragent string.

This is why I'm running on Pale Moon now. It has everything I used to want in Firefox.

Maybe if they didn't go full SJW and focused on the software instead of politics, they'd still have a business.

He already was fired in 2014, kek. And anons thinks because of this Firefox is shit now.

I don't get this FF 57 is bad meme. You haven't even used it yet. It looks nicer aesthetically from what I've seen of it plus all of my extensions will be working on it. So what if you have to wait a short amount of time for a port for something?

you guys are all plebs.

nearly two megabytes, that's fantastic

Every version of the mobile browser is worse than the last. What the fuck is wrong at mozilla

15 rupees have been deposited on your Google account

You do realize you could just use Iridium or Brave.

Should have go their own way, serve their own customer (who loved them) and keeps all the uniqueness. Now Firefox is just another browser and to be honest quite disappointing, I have use firefox since the very first version and seeing it all, sometimes I wish we can have if back before they tried to copy chrome version-naming.

I hate the way chrome handles history, wish there was a Firefox like browser without those issues.

> (OP)
>>plugins and customization are pretty much the main reason people use Firefox
>>the devs fill FF with useless shitty UI and features that no one asked for, breaking plugin compatibility in every update and turning a functional design into a Chrome-like mess
>>somehow surprised when people turn away from Firefox
>really makes you think
What about palemoon etc?

Maybe if they focused their attention on making Firefox better, this wouldn't be happening. Instead, Mozilla's throwing away all of their resources on side projects that no one gives half a fuck about and SJW bullshit.

> fit a curve that has chrome accelerating off beyond 100%

>palemoon
Furfag intentionally broke the compatibility with old FF addons too. His shit is even more useless than vanilla FF.

cool fidget spinner

>chart shows all devices
>android phones come with Chrome preinstalled, and it's used even inside of apps, so you can't escape
>iphones come with Safari preinstalled
Go home, Pajeet.

I don't have any problems with my addons and some are pretty old.

I still use it even though the dev said on the forums at one point "javascript is not dangerous, leave it enabled, it's fine"

well wangblows comes with IE installed
explain how it's going down that hard?

>Edge is not IE
As simple as this.

They've been directly bribed by Google to promote their agenda really hard ever since Google stopped to pay for being the default search engine on the start page. Mozilla have no money to fund the development other than Google's, so that was the offer they couldn't decline.

No fucking shit.
Firefox alienated their core userbase, and they NEVER had any chance against Chrome on its turf.
Firefox is the last of its kind. When you could develop a browser for the sake of it and keep up. Google has an agenda, they want to become THE internet. You can't fight against that singular goal especially with that much money behind it.

>former Mozilla CTO
Aka someone useless who took $500k per year from our donations, helped firefox become cancer, never programmed anything and pushed useless projects like firefoxos.

>your browser
>doesn't respect your freedoms

Yea but the code that runs now is much more diverse

because there will never be a port of many addons of course
things like classic theme restorer
down them all
tree style tabs probably neither
and other that require more than basic features will never work on web extensions

What things from CTR do you need?

I really don't get this CTR meme. Pic related is what Nightly looks like with the compact light theme.
What's the problem with it? There's some ugly padding in the top left corner that appeared in the recent builds but that's easy to remedy with a single line of CSS.

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-tabs/ someone already made a mostly functioning tree style tabs replacement.
The api required to disable the default tab bar is not implemented yet though so both will be visible.

I never used DTA so I can't talk about that.

Mozilla is also working on a small icons (compact) mode for Photon.

>tabs on top
>no unified close tab button
no thx

>tabs on top
The url bar is a part of the tab so it makes no sense to put it above the tabs.

>close tab button
Keyboard shortcuts.

>url bar is a part of the tab

I understand that. Tabs on bottom breaks the 'tabbed folder' paradigm, but skeuomorphism a shit and I should be able to drag it there, it's just a piece of fucking CSS, why take the time to remove that option?

>Keyboard shortcuts
I still spend a lot of time browsing with my dick in my hand.

>Safari surpassed firefox

The age of men is over.

So what do we use?
Is there any alternative to FF that won't die in the next five years?
It's shitty but there's little we can do about it.

In the past you'd shill for FF on sites that people use when they're first introduced to the net. These days it's facebook and it's too late.

in b4 facebook browser

Can Chromes GUI be customized like Firefox's yet?

>Chrome
>customize

Apple has these things called private APIs, they often contain code to interact with the os and the hardware at a lower level or provide faster implementations of certain functions. Often they are the only way to access certain hardware features or optimizations. Apple won't let you use them though, they are exclusively for apple to use and if you try and submit an app to the store you will get rejected if you used them. This ensures no one can ever beat apples own software because they force you to implement things in software that could be hardware accelerated and so on. This is why all other browsers are crippled on iOS. The OS libraries that are needed are off limits to everyone except apple.

But Mozilla won

robert.ocallahan.org/2017/06/webassembly-mozilla-won.html?m=1

I don't know about you but about a few months ago FF has been crashing at least 3 or four times a week for me, I'm going to switch to something else quite soon, if I remember to. I don't browse enough to make it an immediate priority, but it will happen at some point.

Why do I have to care about total user base?

I only need very little extensions and people underestimate how much can be done by very few.

Even something as small as K-meleon is still getting updates.

It won't die.

How's Seamonkey and it's compatibility with FF addons?

Absolutely this.

I used firefox for years and always loved it. I even hung on through australis and the dropped xulrunner support because I thought anything was better than going full botnet. The performance got worse and worse until it was unusable on my machines, even after wiping out all my addons and completely deleting my user data. They tried and failed to become a chrome equivalent by adding features we never asked for.

I was the most loyal user that they could have asked for, and their bloated, bug-ridden shit software finally compelled me to switch to chromium after years.