What's the real benefit of IoT? All I see is risks

What's the real benefit of IoT? All I see is risks

more automation.
it would be fine if any of the products considered encryption even once.

Mass surveillance. The more devices in your home capable of recording video or audio the better. Never getting updates means NSA doesn't have to write exploits that often.

Mass surveillance, analytics, data collection, under the guise of "Manage all your home appliances from your phone!"

or weren't WAN-facing for no reason
or actually updated their fucking firmware when they are

encryption isnt necessarily the issue the issue is with how most IoT devices upgrade their firmware. The lack of security when dealing with IoT devices makes it fairly simple for anyone to access the device's firmware and alter it any way they want

Many literally just keep ftp ports open which contain the device's firmware file. This allows literally anyone to download/upload firmware to the IoT device. I have a samsung smart TV that was purchased 6 or 7 years ago which is just like this. It connects to the internet and has an open port where a firmware file can be uploaded.

"The future". You control your lights,TV, fridge, dildo, AC, doors, car, rice cooker, and so much other shit remotely.

speaking of this shit, I just got comcast internet at home here in the states.

comes with a free remote control with a built in microphone.

you have to pair the remote control to the cable box. as soon as you do it enables the microphone for easy 'voice commands'. no way to disable.

I ended up disassembling my remote and unplugging the microphone.

"The future" where products stop having useful buttons and instead everything is controlled through shitty apps.

You can pretend you have someone to talk to

>Paying for cable
????

>I'm a NEET so everything should be free for me!

Apps are fine, don't mind the camera, speaker, and GPS permissions, they are there to enhance the customer experience.

Cable is how you get to the internet, my friend.

>wake up on saturday
>bed detects I get up and tells toaster I'm coming
>toaster makes toast & adds just the right amount of butter determined by how rough a day I had yesterday (determined by how long I slept among other factors)
>ready by the time I get to the kitchen
>sit on chair in front of TV
>chair tells TV to turn on
>phone rings
>tells TV who's calling
>don't get up
>chair detects I'm still sitting and tells phone to redirect to voicemail
>voicemail listens to message
>friend is coming over later with the latest animu bluray or something
>tells microwave to prepare to pop corn around the scheduled time
etc.
As for the risks, if all your traffic goes through your router and never leaves to go to someone else's machine, there are none.

in america your TV watches you

yes user.
all of your daily information will be collected on a regular basis down to the smallest detail such as when you wake up and what you eat for breakfast.

None of this will ever be sold to analytic corporations in order to target you more for advertising.

how fucking bonkers does one have to be to willingly give up all privacy for an autonomous toaster

this shit still doesn't make any sense to me. 17 replies and nobody yet has a real answer to the question in OP

Automation as an afterthought.
Old solutions were expensive and required a lot of forethought, like programmable lighting used to be done by do a special wiring of the house, so you could control these things.
Now you can get a light bulb with wifi in it instead.
I think the old way was much better, but I get that it was expensive and you basically had a all or nothing option where the new solutions is more expensive on the case by case, but overall, it is a lot cheaper.

And this requires internet why?

The whole point of IoT devices is to allow you log everything you do, this can be useful for many things:

For example, have you ever gone to a restaurant with the plan to order a specific dish, but when you arrive they don't have it? With IoT you would know and could order your food before your autonomous car takes you there.

Or when you go to Doctor, he would have the list of things you've eaten, medications, blood pressure and how much you exercise. Instead of having to make some quick measurements and having to trust what you tell him. Ending in a better treatment.

Of course your health could also be used to determined your insurance price, which is bad.

Or your netflix habits could be used to determined what are you emotionally vulnerable to and use that to brainwash you.

Or your info could be plain and simply be used by the government to determined how good or bad of "citizen" are you to see if they have to kill you. You know 1984 stuff.

>I didn't read past the green

>Fucking illiterates do you just not take the extra two seconds to see that I literally answered ALL of your concerns in one gosh darn sentence?
>Here, I made this green too just in case you fucking cunts can't read anything unless it's OO PRETTY COLOURS

>being this butt devastated
>loving every laugh my lad

>>I didn't read past the green
Sorry, I assumed it was on-topic. You're regular text doesn't say it doesn't require internet, just that it shouldn't send info out. That doesn't necessarily mean no internet going capabilities, so my question is still valid. Unless you mean it doesn't have any way of going on the internet, in which case it's not IoT.

- higher prices... a regular toaster costs $20, one that posts pictures of your toast on Instagram costs $200
- higher failure rate... the more shit they put into devices, the sooner something will break (aka planned obsolescence)

We should be thinking of IoT (Internet of Things) as IoT (Intranet of Things) which alleviates the issues of privacy as well as semantics of what counts as IoT.

>We should be thinking of IoT (Internet of Things) as IoT (Intranet of Things) which alleviates the issues of ... semantics of what counts as IoT.
Absolutely not, it would only introduce them. Nobody uses IoT as Intranet of Things, because it's redundant. It means one thing, and one thing only, you're literally the first person to even think of it like that.

>I trust that if every device, appliance and item within my house were to record, log, and analyze everything I did all day long this would only be to my benefit and this information would never be sold off to corporate analytic groups or the NSA

Yes, i like to dream too user

I agree with this post.

just because you want IoT to mean something doesnt mean it means that.

If you want an intranet of things, move to North Korea, I hear they have very nice nation-wide intranet and surely your internet of things devices will just become an intranet of things device after you move there

Do they have a shared drive for anime on their intranet?

100% game changer

If I unplug my router from the internet, my devices are still connected to each other. My laptop can talk to my server, my desktop can talk to my laptop, etc. That's an intranet right there.
If I add a "smart" toaster running some BSD designed by me, for me, and can still talk to my other devices despite the lack of internet, that's a thing that's part of the intranet. What should we call it? IoD (Intranet of Devices) because IoT was taken?
How are they going to get it if it never leaves the house?

im being shunned from my engineering colleagues because im very opposed to technology like iot shit and smartphones and such
it baffles me that so few actually consider the risks and privacy concerns of such stuff

>If I add a "smart" toaster running some BSD designed by me, for me, and can still talk to my other devices despite the lack of internet, that's a thing that's part of the intranet. What should we call it? IoD (Intranet of Devices) because IoT was taken?
IoT, because all you did was remove the internet from an internet device. Assuming your analogy isn't retarded at least.
But in that case the original security issues still hold. It's like saying smb 1 is secure because you can just block access to it. You're just placing security at another device, the device itself is still insecure in principle.

But then my question still stands, even more so actually. Why does it require internet (if you're just going to disable it)?

>What should we call it? IoD (Intranet of Devices) because IoT was taken?
"Thing". The only reason for the prefix of "Internet of" is because IP adresses for everything is a fairly recent thing, connecting to an intranet isn't.

>How are they going to get it if it never leaves the house?
how are you going to control if it leaves the house or not?

You would have to unplug your access point or use a hardware firewall that you would have to configure to block each and every IoT device from accessing external resources

Anyone and everyone who finds this enjoyable must be disabled.

>designed by me, for me
Which means that it'll be designed to not "phone home" to someone else's server; it'll only talk to mine.
>Why does it require internet
It doesn't, that's the entire point. It only needs to talk to the other devices in MY home, so I could even hardcode in an internal IP to use.
Read above.

>It doesn't, that's the entire point. It only needs to talk to the other devices in MY home, so I could even hardcode in an internal IP to use.
Then why give it fucking internet capabilities? What the fuck? Or are you again not talking about IoT?

I'm not talking about the botnet of things, I'm talking about a toaster that can talk to my bed, my couch, my TV, etc.
Most normal people (i.e. not pedants who browse Sup Forums) would consider that IoT even if they knew it never called some company's server.
Unless you'd prefer I use "TTCTTMBMCMTE" for the sake of clarity instead of "IoT"

>I'm not talking about the botnet of things
Okay, so your analogy was retarded, and you're off-topic still. Fuck off then.

>Most normal people (i.e. not pedants who browse Sup Forums) would consider that IoT even if they knew it never called some company's server.
Stop introducing semantic arguments.

so your solution to stop IoT devices from datamining you is to buy and use as many as you can, but only after you permanently disconnect your home internet connection from the outside world?

sounds like a lot of trouble to safely use NSA equipment desu

>permanently disconnect your home internet connection from the outside world
Which does nothing.

IoT doesn't need a home internet connection to work.
It can talk to your neighbors devices which will likely be internet connected, or it can use city wide IoT infrastructure (if your city has it, which is only a matter of time).

To open up more weaknesses on your network

>Stop introducing semantic arguments.
That's exactly what you're doing. "It's not this extremely specific definition of IoT that only I use, so it's off-topic."
Pedants don't add to conversations, they argue about terms used and force everyone to clarify what they say, which is really the only thing off-topic here.
I'm talking about appliances that aren't general purpose computers connecting to other appliances that aren't general purpose computers. Whether or not the definition of "IoT" REQUIRES connecting to an external server, appliances that aren't general purpose computers that connect to other appliances that aren't general purpose computers fit the most important 90% of the definition of "IoT" devices. I'm not talking about the price of eggs in China, I'm talking about something that is at least 90% related to the topic at hand, at the very worst.
Meanwhile, what are you doing? You're arguing that it doesn't count as IoT, which adds nothing to the conversation but "nuh-uh, don't talk about it" even though what OP asked for was what benefits IoT brings, which is what I posted.
Stop being off-topic and thinking you're helping.

>That's exactly what you're doing.
No, everybody said IoT means Internet of Things until you extrapolated it to also mean Intranet of Things for some fucking reason. The only reason this thread exists is to discus why these internet connected devices that are vulnerable to botnets and the like need to exist, your devices are irrelevant. Go make your own thread.

>IoT means Internet of Things
So your argument is that "Internet of Things" is literal, and requires the internet to function.
Let's assume that's true, and that a term's etymology is also its definition. The OP asks:
>What's the real benefit of IoT? All I see is risks
The benefits I posted in are the same benefits regardless of if they connect to the internet or not. This is on-topic.
You, on the other hand, keep arguing about whether or not the devices I describe count as IoT or not. That is off-topic.
We can instead argue that, if the benefits of internet-connected devices can be achieved without internet connection, why do we need those internet-connected devices.
But that wouldn't be on-topic, would it? OP specifically asked for benefits of IoT. If we do anything apart from listing the benefits of IoT, we're off-topic.
Or, we could try not being retarded and have a real conversation about the topic instead of a conversation about the conversation.

>You, on the other hand, keep arguing about whether or not the devices I describe count as IoT or not.
Not really, I just want an answer for my question, which you evade by saying they're not IoT. So either answer my question, or stop being off-topic. I'm not trying to argue semantics here, you keep bringing it up.

The whole definition of IoT excludes intranets.

Unless you live in a Faraday cage there is nothing stopping your devices from communicating with your neighbors devices.
That's the whole point.

Are you the OP? If so, the answer I already gave is "obscene amounts of convenience."
If not, what question are you talking about?

IoT is fucking stupid why the fuck does my toaster need wifi or a display?

Do I really need to repeat myself for a fifth time? Fine, why does this require internet?

>So your argument is that "Internet of Things" is literal, and requires the internet to function.

Not him, but with enough devices IoT will form a global "inter-"network on its own.
Technically no need for internet connections, although traditional internet and IoT will be very much linked together of course.

It doesn't. That's obvious.

Then why does it have it?

Wall-e

For datamining, also obvious.

That's not a good reason.

>internet of things devices require no internet
what did he mean by this?
wouldnt that just make it a 'thing' tho?

Not for the people using the thing, but for the people who made it, that's a good reason.
We could instead use the devices I describe, which only talk to your own appliances for the exact same features.

>Not for the people using the thing, but for the people who made it, that's a good reason.
Why? I don't see how that could be good.

but it talks to 'your own appliances' using the internet. sure, call it 'intranet' it doesnt matter. its still using IP protocol.

Consumerist tripe. Insecure, unsafe, etc.

Data is more valuable than oil these days.
Oh no, it's using the internet to... talk to my own house.
How terrible.

>Data is more valuable than oil these days.
No, not to the company, to the user.

Wait, no, I misread. I disagree then, I find that a shit reason.

The point is that it being internet-connected offers no benefit to the user, but companies make it internet-connected in order to get the data.

Yep, see e.g. smart meters and the advanced metering structure

For toasters it isn't so interesting. But let's say you are manufacturer and you use predictive maintenance which tells you to oil a machine before it breaks so that you don't have to stop your production.

>For toasters it isn't so interesting.
Okay, so why have it then? The rest is irrelevant to the case at hand.

>tap my credit card at the register instead of fondling with cash for 30 seconds
this is progress
this is shit

>Implying I don't block any ports or IP addresses other than my own.

>claim that IoT doesnt have to use internet
>admits it needs internet

>tap my credit card at the register instead of fondling with cash for 30 seconds
Does that count as IoT?

No, he meant that as an example of stuff in general being better than IoT. The card is dumb and the register probably connects to an internal server first.

So we still have zero(0) tangible benefits to IoT.

thats because there is none you worthless fuck

well whys theres so much dick hard written shit about it then im fucking confused help me out

You know how people can write shit?
You know how corporations employ people?
That's how.

because its the new thing and people are always going to hype the new thing no matter how fucking pointless

You're the Richard M. Stallman of your group. Now pick dead skin off your feet and eat it and stay comfortable in the knowledge you are always right.

that doesnt even make any sense

It allows Electric $atan reading our minds