Just finished uni in America and returned home, lads. Frankly...

Just finished uni in America and returned home, lads. Frankly, I'm surprised by just how much better their standard of living is than ours. How is it that America went from a backwoods colony of ours to the world's sole superpower while the globe-spanning British Empire experienced near total collapse? What was the cause and why have we not achieved the same success as of late? Will Britain ever experience America-like standards of living and levels of power/influence ever again, or are we destined for the dustbin of history?

bump

Because ours was the only major power left virtually untouched during both world wars.

Also you ceased Empire status the moment you lost the Suez Canal to the Kebabs.

t. proxyburger

>Will Britain ever experience America-like standards of living and levels of power/influence ever again, or are we destined for the dustbin of history?

your country can compete with USA in terms of living of standards but if you're talking about UK becoming a country as influential as USA, then it's just out of question. your country is past its prime like any other great powers like the Ottomans, France, Spain, the Netherlands, Portugal, Persia, Egypt, Greece etc.

this era is all about economic dominance or military supremacy, countries with vast land that are full of natural resources such as China, Brazil, or India are better recognized than any of the great European powers for the past centuries.

isn't it enough that your country achieved the status of a 1st world country and its government can provide the citizens the benefits they needed?

britain was pretty much bankrupt after ww2,and when india and israel gained independence,it was all over,all the profitable colonies left and moneyholes stayed

We were bankrupted by two world wars. America turned up late to both of them and were very far away from most of the action so they didn't suffer as much as Europe.

What exactly do you mean by standards of living?

Sorry, lad, not a proxy. Spent 4 years living in America and the difference is pretty clear. In most areas (other than amount of holiday time) their standard of living is far better than ours.

Wages, housing, climate,ease of doing business, general wellbeing, community cohesion, etc.

>proxy
It's just a britbong shitposting for worthless (OP)s

>shitposting

I'm simply being honest

It's not that great, I went to Yellowstone and had a massive allergic reaction (they think it was the sulphur in the air?) and they charged me a small fortune.

Didn't pay most of it but I can't go back to Wyoming.

>I didn't take out a travel insurance policy while traveling in a foreign country where I have no medical coverage
>I blame that country when I get billed for medical care because of my oversight

Wew lad

Did you not take out travel insurance? What a fucking mong.

The problem, OP, is that Britain is just a tiny island, but the USA is not, allowing us to expand. It's like a goldfish, it only gets as big as its pond allows. If it gets bigger than that it'll just end up killing itself in the end

That tiny island once ruled the world, lad.

bump

And it got too big with its britches. You did the good thing of spreading your seed and letting it grow into the three anglo giants plus another tiny pair of islands off the coast of Australia though.

I've been to both, and can say that you're full of shit.

Each state is a different country so that will dictate your views of the US. The wealthiest parts of London are nicer then the richest parts of Manhattan and more expensive $/sq-ft.