Why is Taiwan still allowed to exist...

Why is Taiwan still allowed to exist? It's been long determined that the People's Republic of China won the Civil War and therefore represents all the Chinese people.
Someone alert the "Taiwanese people" that they should give up already since no relevant country today will recognize their government.
>inb4 "t. Zhang"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_Relations_Act
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because America supports Taiwan.

Thisen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_Relations_Act

I exist to buy shit in Thailand.

you're joking, but I'll answer you anyway.

this

You can argue about why. Some say it's for moral reasons (The ROC is now a representative government with more respect for human rights than the PRC). That may be a SMALL part of it, but it's mostly for geopolitical reasons. Considering that the ROC was a dictatorship until the early 90's (although they started the process beginning to liberalize in the early 80's), and the US still supported them before that, it can't be all about "we support them because they are a democracy".

The thing about international alliances/agreements, if you don't follow through with long-term agreements, the value of your promises decreases significantly. The US is/was trying to fulfill their agreements/alliance that they originally made with the Chinese nationalists who they allied with against imperial Japan in WWII. The US obviously didn't want to ally with Mao's communists since we believed in monolithic communism at the time, so we thought that they would naturally ally with the soviets against us.

What kind of ally would the US be if we abandoned the ROC just because of rapprochement with the PRC in the 70's? What would an American promise or security guarantee be worth? Even less than it currently is (not much after Ukraine/Georgia).

There is also the matter of Chinese "containment". This is more a theory concocted by the mainland Chinese because of their own paranoia. They believe that the US is creating a series of hostile coasts and archipelagos (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, but not Malaysia for some reason). They believe that the US wants to be able to blockade all naval traffic to and from the Chinese coasts (where IIRC ~90% of their population lives). China is a huge IMPORTER of energy and food. A naval blockade would be an existential threat to them. This is a big reason for their "aggression" in the West Philippines Sea (AKA the South China Sea).

>Taiwan
>a EE.UU puppet
> muh rights

>There is also the matter of Chinese "containment". This is more a theory concocted by the mainland Chinese because of their own paranoia.

Chinese foreign policy has done a much better job than US foreign policy in creating an "encircled" China. There is no reason why China couldn't have good relations with their neighbors. They act with hostility toward their neighbors, forcing them into an alliance with each-other or the US.

China is already linked economically and linguistically to Taiwan. Much more than the US is. If China renounced the possibility or reunifying with Taiwan through military means (they haven't). If they promised to reunify peacefully, and followed through with more of their promises, the US would have a harder time keeping military ties with Taiwan. If China stopped threatening Taiwan, they could have a US/Canada style relationship.

what do you mean?

If Republic of China won civil war you won't support china either, democracy is a meme in international politics.

IDK. The EU has a larger economy than the US, and we don't talk about them as a military (they're not) or economic threat. I agree that style of government isn't everything in international politics, but it does influence things a little. Especially popular opinion, which can be mostly ignored, but not completely ignored.

Do people in USA learn mandarin from the American born chinese?

I think most chinese,even CCP hating one,don't want china to split under warlords or fighting over memes like russians during russian civil war, the most realistic one wins I guess.

All schools teach Spanish.
Some teach Spanish and French.
Even fewer teach Spanish, French, and Latin.
A tiny minority of (expensive private) schools teach Mandarin Chinese (taught by an ABC, or legal immigrants from China/Taiwan/etc).

>One day the very unstable PRC will collapse, and Taiwan will return to the open arms of the mainland Chinese. They'll then let Hong Kong vote to join the UK.

I dream this sometimes.

you're right about K-12 education, but nearly every college (public or private) teaches Chinese. Even my local community college does.

>They'll then let Hong Kong vote to join the UK.
implying HK won't become a Singapore-esque city-state.

We made you ;_;

Come home my son ;_;

Brexit 1st.
constitutional-monarchist Anglo federation 2nd.

>constitutional-monarchist Anglo federation 2nd.

you yanks would never accept that

canuk ausnz might tho

nah we don't need a union with the US, their too fucking crazy. we're perfectly happy watching from a distance as they kill each other

Because the EU isnt unified and will never stand against the US.

And also because the US has already turned most of the EU into their vassals.

This shitty meme about "democratic peace" needs to die.

If China turned democratic, they would still want to have the South China Sea for themselves, because 90% of their oil/food-imports and trade run through the malacca strait.

And if the democratic US murdered all the way to Hawaii and the Philippines to Manifest Destiny, China of course would as well.

If you didnt notice already; the Chinese Identity died in Taiwan.

You have weebs there who insult KMT veterans as "Chinese Refugees" and would rather join Japan.

It would be a hard sell because of our anti-monarchist founding, but I think it's possible. The queen is extremely popular in the US. Dianna was very popular before she died. If a royal married a popular American celebrity, I could see Americans feeling "included" in the monarchy, like it isn't just some foreign family with silly titles/ceremonies, but something that Americans are part of.

Having a monarchy to focus on would fix a lot of the US political system. Instead of paying attention to politician's personalities and private behavior, and ignoring policy, we could pay attention to the Royal's personality/private life. Maybe then we'd focus more on politician's policy positions (or I'm being too optimistic).

In terms of sovereignty, is Canada really any different from Puerto Rico? Pretty much an American state that doesn't pay taxes or have political representatives vote in D.C.

我說中文
Japan is a better choice(if japs want us)then Estados Unidos desu.
KMT failed due to incompetent in economic issue.

>

>West Phillipines Sea

Funny that you say that when the Philippines don't even own Scarborough shoal.

>pro-USA
>half those countries

The reason China is pushing so hard right now is because imports through the SCS are existential to them.

Why do you think America invaded Iraq twice?

>It's been long determined that the People's Republic of China won the Civil War
Clearly they didn't if ROC still exists and governs some of it's old clay

Cause USA said so. Get over it bitch.

My public high school had Spanish, French, German, Latin and Mandarin. They all have AP tests, so a fair number of schools have the courses. Japanese has one too, but from what I understand it's taken mostly by actual Japanese

Nobody will want to clean up the shithole left by the commies.

You don't speak for me or the rest of the Chinese people.

If you, and the rest of your ilk filth traitors want to join Japan, then do so by yourself.

Let's make things clear. The sacrifices made by the Republic of China to win the war of aggression against the Japanese was done so for the CHINESE people.

If you try to mandate that China merge with the Japanese (after we kicked their asses and forced them to surrender to us), then you better prepare yourself for WW3 (aka annihilation), again.

Anyone who votes for independence is actually a subversive agent of the Japanese empire. They don't actually want independence. They want to rejoin the Japanese.

Fuck. That. Shit.

It's never going to happen. If you want to be Japanese so bad...Do so in Japanese territory.

Not Chinese turf.

It puzzles me too

Stop claiming our islands.TIA

Get over it Jap sympathizers.

You lost the war.

One theory that I had explained to me (in great, drunken detail) by a Taiwanese kid who hasn't spoken a lick of anything but English in ten years had to do with an extrapolation of the One-China-Policy.

There is international interest in Taiwan/China as separate entities when it comes to trade relations, but to allow the potential for reunification and separatism in order to prevent a continuation of the civil war that led to Taiwan being its own de facto country.

Basically, he thinks that while China and Taiwan claim to be "China" they view each other as estranged provinces of their own political entities, but the second Taiwan says "Fuck it, you keep China. We're going to be Taiwan," it's a formal declaration of secession, which may push relations back to the point of warfare and invasion.

>1.an unsinkable American carrier
>2.a chinese province
>3.a Japanese tourist area
3>2>1
God I hate ABC so much

Chinese people?
You mean those who were rich to get American/Canadian/Australian passport represent Chinese people ?

My family was dirt poor when they immigrated here.

Our success here was created through hard work.

Fuck off you piece of shit.

Ah, the great game of real estate!

>If a royal married a popular American celebrity
Because it worked out so well last time a royal wanted to marry an American celebrity

Too hot, I got herpes there.