I would like to know what foreign ears think about the Portuguese Language, especially the one spoken in Brazil

I would like to know what foreign ears think about the Portuguese Language, especially the one spoken in Brazil.

I am writing an essay about the language and would like to spice some part of it with a poetical flavor. But I don’t want to base myself only on the impression that I have of the language, or the impression that the Portuguese-language poets have. For example, there is a sonnet of the poet Olavo Bilac that offers a pair of verses that I find very beautiful:

>Amo o teu viço agreste e o teu aroma
>De virgens selvas e de oceano largo!

Which can be freely translate as:

>I love your wilderness lushness and your aroma
>Of virgin jungles and vast oceans.

But I want some more unbiased impressions. I would like for people who are not used to the language to hear some of it on this songs and tell me what they honestly think about the language:

youtube.com/watch?v=E1tOV7y94DY
youtube.com/watch?v=g6w3a2v_50U
youtube.com/watch?v=cT8MhMJTBQg
youtube.com/watch?v=dRq92vqrVjg
youtube.com/watch?v=1g_p4Xcn5CE
youtube.com/watch?v=JIFWpMzwUnc

So, what do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ybcvlxivscw&feature=youtu.be&t=43s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Please Brazilbros help me out. Can someone confirm that the language being spoken in the background of this clip is indeed Brazilian?

Sounds like a weird Slavic version of Spanish desu

Yeah bro. Nice video btw

Yes, it's portuguese, but there is no sound, so I'm judging by what's written in red.
I like slavic languages, so I'm okay with this.

Not OP.

Definitely agree. I work in an area where many languages are spoken and this is how I spot Portuguese.

I have heard people say that more about the Portuguese spoken in Portugal, and more differently about the one spoken in Brazil. Something about Portugal accent being more heavy and strong, and the Brazilian one lighter, filled with more sunlight.

Wouldn't say it sounds filled with sunlight, it sounds harsh, like german but different word bank. Luckily the girls are super thick and qt, so that is quickly disregarded.

I think is terrible.
Like a horrible version of Spanish.

youtube.com/watch?v=ybcvlxivscw&feature=youtu.be&t=43s

it sounds slavic because you strain all your vowels with a 'y-' in front of them

don't do that just speak normally

but that's the normal ;_;

Sounds like the unholy offspring of Italian and Spanish

Not OP, but I also have a question to gringos: what do you think about the Brazilian English accent (for those who have already heard a Brazilian speaking English)?

I find the Brazilian Portuguese to sound like a retarded monkey version of Portugal Portuguese. I know it's a meme answer but that's really what it sounds like to me. It literally sounds like you took the elegant Portuguese language and turned it into a joke, like a child's imaginary language.

From what I understand it seems like most people tend to disagree with me on this. Maybe that's because was familiar with PT-Portuguese before I heard the BR-Portuguese.

I know that Cervantes considered portuguese to be "lovely and sweet". He had artistic sensibility, so I guess his opinion has some value

That's what I think about Norwegian, trashy version of Swedish.

Did I hurt your feelings?

It sounds slavic

I thought my Brazilian friend was the Caucus Mountains or some shit

was from the *

Not him, and I dont get mad with your opinion. I just think that things like:

>I find the Brazilian Portuguese to sound like a retarded monkey version of Portugal Portuguese

Are not very polite. Why call us monkeys in a discussion about language? Every thread people put a "brazilian =monkeys" in some phrase.

But other than that, thanks for your contribution.

Certa vez li a opinião de um estrangeiro de que português soava como "a conversa de passarinhos".

It's even more nasal than French and Mandarin.

Meme spanish.

A language that is similar to portuguese is old classic Latin. Look for some online vídeos: its actually quite like portuguese. I also wonder how English would sound to most people if we were not used to it from birth by hearing songs and watching tv and films. It sounds more harsh than Portugueses.

In the songs OP posted the language is definitely pleasant enough. It sounds very similar to Spanish, but more nasal and I can't really put my finger on it but there seem to be like a different type of "melody" compared to Spanish.

Spoken Portuguese (from random youtube clips) I must admit, is not appealing to me. Some of the sounds sound very foreign to me and almost a bit Arabic. And of course it being syllable timed sounds wrong to someone like me that's used to stress timed languages. It sounds very fast and a bit "flat" as a result.

This is my initial reaction, I'm sure that with time I'd be able to come to appreciate it more.

Portugese sounds like a gay Frenchman trying to speak Spanish

>Portugese sounds like a gay Frenchman trying to speak Spanish
Well, considering Portuguese is phonologically closer to French than to Spanish... yeah, kinda accurate.

When I pay attention to the sounds instead of the meaning, English sounds to me like someone put a potato under the tongue and is trying really hard to speak with no vowels.

>old classic Latin
I kinda disagree, they don't sound similar at all. Sure, if you pay attention you'll realize the vocabulary is pretty much the same, but everything else is alien.

I would like to share that when I try to search stuff on Google using the voice command it usually writes random stuff in Russian. Also, Americans and Canadians almost always think that I'm either speaking Spanish or Russian when they hear me saying stuff in brazilian-prtuguese.

As an American living in NYC I hear a lot of languages but Portuguese is the most recognizable one. Outside of NYC there are richer Portuguese immigrants from Portugal itself and their version of the language almost sounds like its not interchangeable.

Portuguese especially Brazilian has weird infliction and starts and stops a lot.

We were discussing about something related in another thread, mutual intelligibility in different PT dialects. (That one didn't consider European Portuguese, though.)

The difference can be huge or small depending on a bunch of factors... but in general, they can be interchangeable, specially more conservative European accents. (Alentejano specially, or Galician if you consider it as the same lang as Portuguese.)

>portuguese
>speaks like a spanish

ayy