Program --> App

Program --> App
Sysadmin --> DevOps
Server --> Cloud

Why do we silently accept this?

App has been used for 25 years. What's wrong with it now? Is it because it's being used by normies? Are you a hipster or something?

>Server --> Cloud
this one really brings my piss to a boil.

App gained prominence with smartphones and you know it

App has been shorthand for application/any program with a gui since executive thought Microsoft Fried Chicken was the cool new thing.
You must be 18+ to post, OP

Why should I care about a title/name when it's the same shit underneath?

>I need you to write this program, ask the sysadmins for our server credentials
>>Okay

>I need you to write this app, ask devops for our cloud credentials
>>Okay

Same amount of work, same level of understanding, no higher level of confusion.

I personally hate the latter 2 but who cares since I don't have to use them, even people that do understand what I mean when I use the actual terms. I don't know why anyone gets mad over "app" since it's just shortform for "application" which actually seems more appropriate than "program" half the time. It's all business terminology anyway, who cares other than marketing and management.

Would've been better if smartphones adopted "applet".

You're either young (~20) or you didn't get into this hobby/field until recently. I know that much.

Ask any normie pre-2007 what an app is, and they couldn't tell you. Do you know what "prominence" means?

>Ask any normie pre-2007 what an app is
Can I borrow your time machine young man? Do you know what "hipster" means?

So, when devs used app, it was ok. Now that normies use app, it's not ok. Are you legally disabled?

OP is presumably referring to popular usage of the terms. I don't know any professional that refers to a server as "the cloud"

>the state of being important or famous.
This is a highly subjective term, "famous" how? "App" was common in the workplace forever, then it became common for the consumers as well. What's the problem with this and why should I care that we don't have to make up stupid shit anymore for the consumer?
>No our phone doesn't run "apps" it runs UniqueEnterpriseNotAnAppBrandName!

Ok, I'll give him that. Cloud IS dumb, only because its bullshit marketing that sounds more friendly than "our Arizona data mining server farm".

the path to entry no long requires technical skills

normally this was bad then the majority of the net was technical

now its flooded with useless information that creates a cycle

instead of that useful information floating to the top it sinks to the bottom

how do you expect the youth to hold standards and protect our interest on the net

My clueless managers do.
All the fucking time

>microsoft sales presentation
>guy spends 30 minutes talking about business intelligence, big data being hosted on their cloud platform
>all my 3 managers greatly impressed
>they ask for my input
>no fucking idea wtf i just witnessed
>I ask him to draw a flowchart
>mfw he basically spent 30 minutes trying to sell us web hosting

Non-tech people in tech corrupt everything around them. They are clueless, but they spout buzzwords with such conviction, that they seem to know so much! And they're speaking pure gibberish, so naturally you don't understand them, and it makes you feel like a retard. Then by the time you realize that they've been spouting bullshit this entire time, it's too late to call them out on it and the decision has already been made.

Data > Big Data

Apps/appz has been shorthand for applications for 30+ years

>Programmer -> Software Engineer

>z
God I don't miss this

Sup Forums is even worse
Spyware --> Botnet
Malware --> Botnet
Phoning home --> Botnet
Proprietary software --> Botnet
Backdoor --> Botnet

>Proprietary software --> Botnet

this but unironically

>coder

>Internet of Things

this one triggers me

There is no only "Spyware" If system have vulnerability it will be used in as many ways as possible, so if I can leave rootkit with backdor on victims machine I'm doing this and spying on user, just in case.

you are missing the new one:
surveillance --> machine learning

isn't that "big data"

aka personal information

What about deep learning?

DevOps is sysadmin?

> why

app stands for application not applet you retard

This is the only one that really makes me mad.

Person I disagee with --> Cuck/Redditor

I've been building programs for two straight fucking years while our servers screamed bloody murder from windows 2003 for upgrades.

We hired another guy six months ago who also writes web app extensions of our ERP, and because management is shit no one has use the apps among 200 people overall despite hiring two guys to build stuff all day long.

One day I will be able to do proper system administration.

What does pajeet wrangling have to do with sysadmin?