Why does Sup Forums hate Unity again?

Why does Sup Forums hate Unity again?

It used to carry amazon botnet, after the backlash canonical turned it off by default, but you could just uninstall it since the beginning. Is a pretty ok de, but it's dead as they said they would change to shitty fucking gnome.

windows controls on left

Customize it.

It's a meme you dip

because it's dead ;_;

Why Gnome and not KDE, mate, XFCE or something else? Why fucking gnome?

>KDE
I don't need 49253085034 options
also I prefer a DE that doesn't crash

>mate
I'm not stuck back in 2009

>XFCE
my computer isn't from 2009

Sup Forums hates it because everyone else in the linux ecosystem hated it. that hatred stems from this: Ubuntu used to ship with GNOME, back when GNOME looked like MATE. When it started shipping with Unity, everyone was up in arms about it, in the same way that everyone freaked out about Windows 8's UI.

this post is ironic. as Ubuntu returns to the GNOME ecosystem, everyone who's new to Ubuntu is now upset. The people who were angry about Unity before probably already use something else, or are angry because they don't like the way GNOME looks now. They probably use MATE.

>Why does Sup Forums hate Unity again?

Because of its lack of customizability.

For example, all those icons on the left side:

#1: You can't move those icons anywhere else. And after all these years, they have yet to publish a single coherent reason why you're not allowed to.

#2: My brain doesn't respond to icon pictures -- it respond only to words. To me, a bunch of icons are just a meaningless, unorganized mess of colors. When I select functionality, I can only do it using a list of words, like a traditional menu. That's just the way my brain works. I need to be able to configure that.

The Unity designers believe the completely discredited and idiotic idea that customizability "confuses" users. In reality, the only problem is that their UI designers aren't smart enough to figure out how to implement customizability in a way that doesn't confuse users. In other words, Unity is simply the product of second-tier, less-talented designers -- so there's no reason to consider it.

i don't want a smart-phone/pad interface on my desktop

>My brain doesn't respond to icon pictures -- it respond only to words
So, you have Unity because of your autismo?

hate

>My brain doesn't respond to icon pictures
Its not their fault you have autism.

I don't actually hate it. But I think the whole problem is all kinda misunderstood.
It's heavily based on gnome, so it is natural to imagine that Ubuntu would prefer to change to gnome, in order to preserve this familiarity to the new users (keeping in mind that Ubuntu is one of the main distributions that new users choose to begin with), it's pretty easy to get used to.
Unity is a very weak de. It was always full of bugs, in all of it's versions (search for scope loader, if you disagree).
Unity was never good enough to be Ubuntu's main de. I really think it's time to use KDE. Gnome shell is only good because it makes you really fast. But the gnome de, with all the apps is shit as shit can be

>ubuntu was always full of bugs
>recommends KDE
wew

You can't customize it.

>implying

You can make them appear on the right as well with a custom theme.

Because it's dead abandonware

>Dicksword
Spotted the idiot

>picture with controls on the left

?
???

Are you mentally challenged?

>asks a question
>gets spoonfed with a simple answer
>still somehow mad for no reason
Nice projection user.

welcome to Sup Forums

It's garish by default

>I don't need options
Gnomefag detected

This doesn't work on modern versions of ubuntu.

correct
I don't want to spend 437530475 hours tweaking every little aspect, if it can just werk out of the box

>It used to carry amazon botnet

I remember when Sup Forums say Amazons ads in ubuntu is ok, meanwhile the same ads in W10 are "attack privacy"

i don't hate it, i actually like unity and hope the fork will keep it alive. it's great for smaller displays, i can navigate it with keyboard only if i want to and it just werks.

You may be able to with custom themes and/or a third party program.

no and no

Because gnome exists.

Then just backpedal to an older unity version if you're so concerned about 3 fucking icons geez...

or I could just use a proper DE, like KDE

KDE is boring

given the bajilion configuration options I'm sure you could find something you like

also it isn't written in JavaScript, which is a huge plus

because its really close to unity, but not abandonware. As i post in every thread if canonical wont be able to get us close to unity experience with extensions the company is dead on the 'making software' part.

>everybody's a critic
>Ubuntu is most mainstream linux so attracts more critics as a rule
>Sup Forums hates anything that people like, looks aesthetically pleasing and is even remotely user-friendly

I left it for GNOME because the taskbar annoyed the hell out of me after a while and is completely superfluous to a desktop computing experience. It doesn't need to be there at all.

>ugly as shit
>can't configure it
unity is for homosexuals

shit

>used to

I would rather live in a terminal than use what you posted.
Also:
>graphical package managers

The fuck you on about idiot?

this /thread.

Because it's a simple, attractive DE that normies could easily get behind after an hour of use. Sup Forums doesn't like anything simple or that normies would be attracted to.

this. I've actually learnt to do the exact opposite of what Sup Forums told me.
>use Ubuntu
>learnt Java and JS
>stay away of hipster-tier shit like Gentoo, Vim or Rust

Good for you. I disagree that Vim is hipster-tier though.

it's ugly

>bar with icons on the side
>ugly colors

gnome is the best desktop environment

Pretty much.
Fags crying about it are probably running T40s with 1gb of ram

Just half arsed, I've donated to Canonical in the past and I'd rather my money go towards making the core OS more stable/usable.

Because they don like DEs that look and behave like fucking windows

Geez, if you cunts miss that copy-pasted pajeet garbage just go back to 7 and shut up.

That theme shouldn't be the default
But the fragmentation is the main thing

THIS.

Then how can you explain why I switched to xubuntu and never came back?

>Ubuntu is most mainstream linux so attracts more critics as a rule
You don't have to hate popular things to notice how fucked up are shortcuts on unity. Also unity-tweak-tool became abandonware that breaks unity in the last 2 LTS releases, so configuring it is a pain in the ass. I moved to gnome ,i rather deal with HUGE TITLE BARS than with unity opening menu every time i try to use AltGr to input special characters.

GNOME has the backing of Red Hat

wew lad someone's mad
kekek

At which point did this Happen? Ubuntus Amazon Integration was disabled before Windows 10 came out.
Also: The thing in Windows 10 invading your Privacy is the Telemitry, not the Ads.
They are just another annoying reason to switch.

GNOME is such a piece of shit, goddamit, and kde is so resources consuming filled with bugs, there really isn't much option now. Why does gnome have to suck so much? Goddamn window title + up bar take 1/5 of the screen height when Unity is so sleek. Also the fucking corners that pop up menus.

>His IQ is below 50
>Is an anime faggot
Wow what a surprise..................
Pic related, it's you

wtf how did u find a picture of me???

dont talk shit about desti-senpai you faggot

No system likes change.
Capacitors resist change in voltage.
Linux users resist change in desktop environment.
Changing from gnome to unity was not a popular move.
Changing back to gnome is not a popular move.
No change will ever be positively received by everyone.

I don't

if you maximize a window it still won't be on the right side