SystemD

if you Sup Forumsuy are so worried about botnets, why do you use a distro with systemd on it?
systemd code is ofuscated and you can't even read it.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/systemd/systemd
lwn.net/Articles/576078/
cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/NEWS?id=2d1ca11270e66777c90a449096203afebc37ec9c#n1852
bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72759
bugs.launchpad.net/ecryptfs/ bug/507150
git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/Minimal-install-guide
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Polkit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

B-but I don't, user. OpenRC works very well and does everything I want!

Is there an established distro that does not swallow the Red Hat/Poettering cock?

wich distro are you using?

Gentoo

Oh yeah, I will waste 20 hours to finish installing. Sure I will.

I use Devuan, no systemd trickery in here

It's open source. Please show where the malicious code is.
github.com/systemd/systemd

>systemd code is ofuscated and you can't even read it.

Do you mean obfuscated, you illiterate retard?

>can't read it
>t. brainlet

Spaghetti code that only RedHat PAID DEVELOPERS can maintain, it precedes a blackmail this company could pull off anytime, like selling patches like grsecurity.

>systemd code is ofuscated
You can't read C. Not very surprising from a retarded anti-systemd hipster trash such as yourself. Fuck off

Slackware, friend.

>systemd apologist shitposting again
He is ignoring all arguments to defend Lennart and his team of cucks.

Systemshit was only adopted because POLITICS infected distros like Debian and Arch.

Same happened with pulsecrap.

Systemd is free as in freedom software. allthough I don't use it because I like. gentoo

Systemd's software is not free as in freedom because RedHat controls all development, and that is why I don't use it.

did they ever fix it

Same here

Look at this faggot pretending to understand any of the half million lines of undocumented C code that systemd is made of.

OpenSSL was open source too.

>Pulseaudio

No.

Instead you will waste 40 hours shitposting and doing nothing of importance.

>OpenSSL was open source too.
Don't bring C's problem to systemd

>OpenSSL was open source too.

Are you one of those code ninjas that are yelling for 5 comments for each fucking line of code?

Daily reminder that systemd is FOSS (Free & Open Source Software) and that it is good software that fulfils the needs of modern devops, sysadmins, regular users and even application developers. Since work on systemd project restarted in 2010 and it's initial inclusion in Fedora Jan 2011 it has gained code contributions from over 700 developers worldwide and became the default init system and session manager in every major GNU/Linux distribution since 2012. Developers from each of these have commit access and have helped to design and shape systemd to fit their needs and unify core system between distributions over the last 5 years.

However as great of an improvement as it has proven to be it has attracted many paid trolls and mentally ill Linux users who spread lies and FUD about it, a large group of these single out developers and attack them with constant trolling, abuse, stalking and even death threats. Many of these 'people' are from the *BSD camps; after Linux usage and contributions sky-rocketed 15 years ago they have been on a constant mission to cause trouble, including making threats of violence and rape against people who create GPL licensed code.

There are also thought to be many of these people on the payroll of Microsoft to try and destroy strong powerful FOSS projects by negative campaigning. Fortunately as usual for Microsoft their FUD and paid shills turn up 4 years too late and don't have technical arguments, making it obvious what they are: paid trolls.

"I think your attitude is pretty typical of systemd detractors, and that attitude is exactly why systemd is making a victory sweep across all major Linux distributions;

Since you are in total denial of any existing problems with sysvinit, you are of course unable to suggest any alternative to it, or begin any coherent work on an alternative to it. The denial also suggest a lack of technical insight into the problem, and the pathetic lack of any alternative development work also suggest a lack of technical ability to make such an alternative.

This seemingly leaves systemd detractors with only one option; negative campaigning. So they have wasted years of slandering Lennart Poettering and other open source developers and companies, and whining, ranting and trolling on web forums, but without any real technical argumentation.

Using derogatory terms, like "bloat", or "Windoze crap" aren't technical argumentation, just like copy-pasting unattributed quotes from random sites about "Unix philosophy" doesn't convince anybody serious either.

You are also alienating people who may have been sympathetic to developing alternatives to systemd; who wants to join a bunch of anonymous people who rant like lunatics, and who seems to enjoy smug negative attitudes against other open source developers.

So to sum up; you are just a loud minority who conducts negative campaigning, seemingly without any ability to gather people to construct a positive alternative to systemd. As long as you deny any problems with sysvinit, and deny any positive merits of systemd, you will be unable to analyse the situation and therefore paralysed into inaction. This of course will mean, that Linux distro after Linux distro will switch over to systemd. Enjoy the future with systemd on every Linux distro; your negative attitude made it possible."

"I remember being severely disillusioned by this in my early days. I read some article that explained how a "spell" program can be written to report the spelling errors in a file. It uses 'tr' to split into words, then "sort" and "uniq" to get a word list, then "comm" to find the differences. "cool" I thought. Then I looked at the actual "spell" program on my university's Unix installation. It used a special 'dcomm' (or something like that) which knew about "dictionary ordering" (Which ignores case - sometimes). Suddenly the whole illusion came shattering down. Lots of separate tools only do 90% of the work. To do really complete work, you need real purpose-built tools. "do one thing and do it well" is good for prototypes, not for final products.
The thing that annoys me most about systemd is that I didn't write it first!"

- Neil Brown
lwn.net/Articles/576078/

"The problem for Gnome and KDE is, that systemd is vastly superior to anything out there, and that it will help them dump loads of hard to maintain code, and give them easy access to make powerful distro-agnostic programs.

systemd provides a common, uniform Linux plumbing system that makes life easier for all user program developers. So of course Gnome and KDE will start to take advantage of systemd, why shouldn't they?

The main problem with those who for some reason or another doesn't like systemd, is that they are incredibly lazy. Instead of actually getting together to make an alternative development stack to systemd, they rant against Poettering and spew empty platitudes about "UNIX philosophy".

The most pathetic example of this anti-systemd laziness, is of course "ConsoleKit". It has now been unmaintained for +1½ years, but it is a crucial piece of infra-structure for any Desktop. But instead of either maintain it or make an alternative, anti-systemd people just rant against Gnome for no longer making it a priority to support this piece of abandonware. All rant and no work.
[...]
Yes, that is true last time you checked, and next KDE edition (KDE SC 5/Plasma 2) will of course also run on *BSD. But with reduced functionality on all non-systemd systems, compared with the systemd version.

This is not because of some sinister conspiracy, but because systemd offers easy use of many nice features that KDE and Gnome (and LXQT etc) would like to use, and non-systemd systems doesn't provide.

The point is exactly, that systemd is a very nice uniform Linux plumbing system, and that DE's are starting to take advantage of that."

"I’m trying really hard not to suggest launchd here (so I won’t). The idea of registering everything up-front with a broker and then letting IPC / timers / HW events start things from there (in cascade fashion) is still the right architecture. Even the linux die-hards have essentially grasped the necessity of systemd (even though they’re going to hate on it for awhile longer)".

- Jordan Hubbard, FreeBSD co-founder

"I don't personally mind systemd, and in fact my main desktop and laptop both run it."
- Linus Torvalds, ITWire Interview.

SystemD isn't a botnet by design. It's still free software, and you CAN read the source code.

Anyways, go use Devuan. It's not that hard.

Probably void.

>he doesn't use GNU Shepherd

>being this retarded

Wait- what's wrong with systemd?

idk user im still waiting for people who complain about it to show me something wrong in the code

Same I combed through it but couldn't find anything odd

These images only make systemd look bad ass.
I'd happily join those people.

Nice appeal to authority RedMumbai shill.

>just change the defaults XD

It's funny that when it comes to systemd, its supporters usually argue that it "just werks".
Yet, if "just works" is considered to be a prime argument for them then they'd be using Windows instead of GNU/Linux.

We all choose to use GNU/Linux because we like how it's structured, we like it's philosophies and the flexibility it gives us.
This means that _design choices_ are very fundamental to what makes GNU/Linux so great.

So we should look at systemd from a design perspective. Is it a good decision to make PID #1 a monolithic too-big-to-fail piece of software that even fucking kernel developers themselves claim is too complicated to understand?
The "unix way" is a vital design criteria for important low level system software. (for end-user software it doesn't matter as much)

Think about it this way:
If we had programmed our software in the past like systemd is today, then it would be impossible to replace our old shit. We'd be stuck with our old crusty init systems and systemd wouldn't even exist today.
How amazing is it that systemd was able to so easily step in and replace the init systems across every major distro in such a short period of time? The fact that it was able to do that is not a credit to systemd, it's a credit to the "unix way" that our old software was so easily interchanged.

The danger here is that systemd exploited the unix way to replace our old sotware, and now it _doesn't_ follow the unix way meaning that in the future it's going to be impossible to replace it.
Look at how many components it has swallowed up (pic related is just the tip of the iceberg). We're going to be stuck with this shit for 50 years because it doesn't follow the unix way and replacing it is going to be an unimaginably monumental undertaking.

But now Lennart and army of his cocksuckers go "fuck unix philosophy who cares XDDDDD"

That GIF pretty much sums up system haters: Childish, their first thought to attack something is with children's sock puppets.

>not even trying to refute an argument
>t-t-totally not p-paid do to it i s-swear

it was worth it. best operating system I ever used.

totally works guys i swear we learned from our partners at Microsoft™

So don't use a distro that uses systemd and stop crying about other people's choices like a huge faggot

Does the developers of systemd got paid to fuck it up and make it to asimilate everything on purpose? so that would hinder linux getting more market share?

I actually don't use a distribution with systemd.
But the second these distributions started coming out of the woodwork and attracting large quantities of experienced users and administrators systemd shills came out of the woodwork and started screeching like banshees
>REEEE it just works!
>Ur just 2 dumb to learn it X-D
>leave Poettering alone
>works on my machine!

>and stop crying about other people's choices like a huge faggot
And you stop pretending like it was your choice and not something you just "went with" like the gullible parroting idiot you are.

Poettering works for RedHat.

It's in redhat's best interest to turn GNU/Linux into an steaming pile of smelly shit only they are able to maintain so they can charge people money to unfuck their systems.
The second systemd was in semi-working state every project controlled by redhat (like GNOME project) started piling in systemd dependencies so you couldn't get rid of it.

I don't like the philosophy of Lennart in general, or systemd on my server. But on my desktop, I actually do like systemd, it's just great for being lazy and at home I want to be lazy and don't really care about much, I keep my data on my server.
I do wish it was less integral as I believe the systemd cabal is a negative force overall in linux.
Lennart wants to streamline but I believe he's too focused on the standard user, but WHY the fuck do we care about the standard user if they need poor standards set to come over? He acts as though the standards set by other operating systems are inherently more intuitive, and doesn't consider people only like it this way because they are used to it. It can just as easily be fine any other way.
Stupid and dumb.

I'm new to Sup Forums but what does systemd do that's good?

cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/NEWS?id=2d1ca11270e66777c90a449096203afebc37ec9c#n1852

>just don't use brightness, we'll remove the support in the next version and put it into gnome :)

archbang

>pulse
this is a shitpost

>we're totally not paving the way for Microsoft takeover :)

Here is what happens on a stock Arch Linux system, powered by systemd, when a non-root user tries to restart the system:

$ reboot
Failed to set wall message, ignoring: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files
Failed to reboot system via logind: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files
Failed to talk to init daemon.

In contrast, here is the equivalent error message on a system powered by runit:

$ reboot
init: fatal: unable to create /etc/runit/stopit: access denied

And on the oldest and best, Slackware:

$ reboot
reboot: must be superuser.

>just google the problem XD

>use wrong command
>complain it doesn't work

initlets in a nutshell

See kids?
"Truth" is the magic spell that makes all the scary systemd-shilling monsters from your wardrobe dissapear!

>bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72759
>Reported: 2013-12-16 15:32 UTC
> Bug 72759 - Systemd user manager interferes with ecryptfs - private directory not being unmounted
>bugs.launchpad.net/ecryptfs/ bug/507150
>2010-01-13
>This isn't really a duplicate of bug #313812. The home directory is not being unmounted. Bug #313812 concerns the key-ring.
>Sorry I didn't mention this before but this problem has existed for quite a while and still exists in Ubuntu 17.04.
>2017-05-22
7 years, and systemd still doesn't unmount ecryptfs directories. People that install Ubuntu on their laptop, check "encrypt home directory", and get their laptop stolen will have their files readable in plaintext, because of systemd preventing unmount.

>go to download devuan iso
>17GB
>mfw I installed slackware instead

Wait, what's wrong with systemd again? Give me 3 compelling reason why I should uninstall systemd

No, educate yourself, or at least read the thread, or fuck off and remain ignorant.

>lalalalala can't hear you haha now entertain me with hundreds of posts proving me wrong to which I will undoutbfully reply something along the lines of "I don't care works for me :)"

>17GB
You can do a minimal install, like with Arch: git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/Minimal-install-guide

Uh? I can see no arguments there

>polkit blocks reboot
>blames systemd fault
>hasn't checked wiki

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Polkit
you're welcome shitlord

>just google the problem
ah yes the mighty systemd where noone troubleshoots because it's impossible

>can't figure out how to run a script as root on startup
>makes this thread for the 500th time

Void has runit though

pls respond

Void

>imlying you read the whole linux kernel

go fuck your dick with shit

He said extablished

It got fixed BEFORE poettering decided to pitch in with his opinion. Which makes it all the more impressive

i dont

sysvinit

the answer is literally in the wiki link you've been provided with

pls respond :^(

void uses runit. OpenRC usually means gentoo, but very occasionally Arch.

They don't even understand the meaning of the word botnet, it's just a buzzword on Sup Forums.

how long until someone that can actually program like linus steps in and fix this whole init mess like he did with git?

Yeah, the "just google the problem" attitude of systemd is the problem and I pointed it out.

No amount of smug tumblr faces is going to change it friend.

arch isn't for you. go back to windows pleb

bring huge complexity and dependency just to start and stop programs bringing a whole new job field. in the future there are going to be system administrators and systemd administrators

I maintain a fork of Debian unstable with sysv-init + OpenRC

>literally
>imugr
You reek of reddit

>yfw graphical toolkits now depend on a init system
>gnome requires systemD

hmmm
what did redhat mean by this?

do you have to write all those init scripts yourself since upstream doesn't provide it?

if only you read more

they are all compatible with legacy .RC
thats what OpenRC was designed for.

example of the configuration files comparison

I don't get it

The one that makes Arch weebs salty because they'll never be tech literate enough to use it.

Why are we not just let the kernel have a table where services can register and solve their dependencies and start up order by one rc script

I don't even know what the advantage of systemd is, when you fuck up your fstab it won't boot and you'll have to manually fix it

Ubuntu?

Tried Void Linux yesterday.
So I installed a package that pulled a lot of fonts as depedencies.
xbps ran fontcache update on each and every font package installed. Arch certainly only runs fontcache updates in the end.
So I thought that these Void Linux shitteres don't know what they are doing and went back to Arch.

all of the .config and .rc files are smaller and theres decades of tutorials on .rc init files on the net

the majority of these are designed to work with OpenRC by default

Now tell us what happens in the background when your shhd.service is interpreted and executed.
Oh right you have no fucking clue

but the pic has nothing to do with rc or openrc

with systemd nobody has a clue since there is no documetation