There are people on this board who built a gaming PC and don't use windows

>there are people on this board who built a gaming PC and don't use windows
Is there anything more wasteful than buying expensive enthusiast hardware and then crippling it with linux compatibility drivers that don't even take full advantage of your hardware?
What the fuck do linux users even need GPUs or 8-core CPUs for, other than compiling gentoo 8x faster?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/PCI_passthrough
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_gaming#Proprietary_games
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bitcoin mining, faggot.

Also,
>what is software dev

I have transcended.
Multiple GPU passthroughs for multi OS hooked into a KVM switch & multimonitor setup.

Most kind of dev jobs can be done easier on windows or mac.

Linux is only the third option when there's a very specific set up that you need.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/PCI_passthrough
:^)

meant for

Don't shitpost using Ai. Thanks.

>Most kind of dev jobs can be done easier on windows or mac.
Software development is the smoothest darn experience on linux.
Small quality of life stuff like copy on select and middle click to paste your buffer make it a breeze.

The OS does not obfuscate anything from you so making small changes to a program is quick.

Who's that?

Found the non-dev
Linux is the best thing that has ever happened to software development followed closely by Mac for frontend work. Without helper tools such as Docker or VMs simulating a *nix environment, coding in Windows is a fucking nightmare.

Molecular Dynamics.
>> 8 cores
Pathetic. When I'm running sims I use no less than 20 cores.

>What is dual booting

sounds like hacky workaround shit

>powerful hardware is only for video games
end your own fucking life right now.

its amazing the lengths people will go to in order to not use Windows. Windows is that bad. Making people turn autistic and shit just to get away

what else would you use it for?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

winfag intelligence, everyone

holy shit lol. please go back to Sup Forums you underage little faggot and never come back. you do not belong on this board.

please name one thing you would use high end hardware besides gaming and memecoin mining and let's assume you're not theoretical bio-physicists

>be me
>have R9 380X
>no 32bit windows drivers
>switch to linux
>have AMDGPU-PRO drivers, card runs at full potential
>games perform better because cpu time isn't being wasted by the botnet
Feels good man.

>games
>Linux
What are you playing user

This is me. Old vga monitors for winshit at a beautiful 5:4

Dota 2 and CS:GO are the only ones that I play which are graphically intensive.

lmao they can't name ONE thing

there's literally no use for high end hardware outside of gaming for 99.999999% of people

>the average intelligence of a Sup Forums poster

Why the fuck are you using the pro drivers?

I used my gtx 970 to transcode my blu rays because torrents always go for compatibility instead of optimal transcodes. I'd do cryptocurrency mining but that apparently needs a lot of hardware and electricity.

THEY CAN'T NAME ONE THING A NORMAL PERSON WOULD USE HIGH END HARDWARE FOR BESIDES GAMING

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

aren't the proprietary drivers always better than the open source ones?

*of a Windows user
ftfy. don't lump is all in with wintards.

windows users are dumber than mac users. you literally can't dispute this fact.

answer my question faggot

>and let's assume you're not theoretical bio-physicists

Are you retarded? The number one thing to use powerful workstation hardware with Linux is to do physics simulations. There are a lot of people here doing STEM degrees, just so you know.

>there are people on Sup Forums doing advanced biophysics research and simulations

There are, retard.

mac users aren't even dumb. they use a proper Unix system, and they have experience working with package managers. Winfags just literally can't stop installing hidden bitcoin miners and getting BSODs.

you're delusional

based valve, thanks to their aborted linux OS, actually have pretty decent linux support

Return to brainlet.

>crippling it with linux compatibility drivers
This wouldn't be a problem if drivers were open-source from the get go. So even more reason to use Linux over anything else, to help improve the situation.

you shouldn't assume that everyone is an unemployed fat manchild just because you are. This is a technology board, after all.

Nobody mines bitcoins anymore retard

That's Nvidia shit. And you are too young to remember why. AMD got their shit together and went all in on the open source drivers. Pro is not for you.

I'm assuimung that everyone here either has a regular job or is an unemployed manchild
if you believe there are actual scientists browsing this shithole, you need to have your brain checked

>what is software dev
you don't need beastly hardware for that

You clearly grew up in the boonies if you expect all your anonymous peers to be be either mechanics or unemployed.

Won't help with nvidias proprietary blobs, but they did need a working product for enterprise users, aka the ones with the money.

>mechanics
I didn't say that
by regular jobs I also mean programming, electrical/computer engineering, etc..
most of those don't require you to have high end hardware
what I'm asking you is to give me an example of something that does require high end hardware

It performs better on linux.
Wish more ports got that same kind of love.

Bless valve and their SteamOS endeavors but they ought to not keep twiddling their thumbs while Microsoft is creating new barriers to gaming...

t. macbabyfaggot

Password Cracking, Image/video processing, neural nets, and that's not even getting into server level software where you have to have thousands of threads running at any given time

Lots of people got into Sup Forums in high school and once you're here you can never leave so they became scientists and still browse.

There are other types of engineering, particularly ones that involve real work physics. If you're designing something, you'll want to run physics simulations to see how it plays out. Lets say you're trying to come up with a new jet turbine design, you'll want to run it through physics simulations. Maybe you're studying fluid dynamics, you'll need the hardware to run simulations.

In fact, there was an user who posted here the other day requesting some assistance to understand how a jet turbine works, he claims that he was in the USAF and was studying engineering. Despite the widespread retardation on Sup Forums, mostly due to an influx of Sup Forums, there are people here who need their computer more that just for games or spreadsheets.

>Password Cracking
lmao
>Image processing
no
>video processing
you don't need hardware people use for AAA games for that
>neural nets
valid, but most people don't train neural nets
>that's not even getting into server level software
>on a desktop
heh

Don't buy expensive hardware...

get a gcard that runs well enough and play linux supported games.

proprietary makes the baby RMS cry but you have to start somewhere...

some people would say "ascending" is using a GPU pass-through but meh ... it's still just a windows box.

i refuse to use windows anywhere but work. (where i'm forced to)

thanks for an honest reply

>I don't do these things so nobody else does
>>Sup Forums

>Password Cracking

don't put words into my mouth faggot

Dirt rally ... dirt rally will push any top tier gcard at a large screen size and high res

need some juice to run that game... how sim people play it anyway

>password cracking
and he tells other people they're underage

they always provide these at schools

you dont need to build your own, its wasteful desu

>There are people on this board who built a gaming pc and didn't take the minimal effort to become part of the dual boot master race

Yes and No. Nvidia still works best with pro drivers but AMD decided to take off their retard helmet and properly roll out open drivers for linux.

Why no 8gb ram user? Seems like an awfully nice gpu to limit with 32bit anything.

yeah?
and what do you do

>Is there anything more wasteful than
How about bitching about how other people spend their money instead of making yourself better ?

pls don't use ai-chan to shitpost thanks

Its literally just giving a VM control over a pcie slot.

>What the fuck do linux users even need GPUs or 8-core CPUs for
GPGPU, multitasking, compiling, virtual machines, video transcoding, etc.