/pmp/ Portable Media Players

Personal/portable music player thread /pmp/

Useful guide(s) & News
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Rockbox 3.14 released, battery life for Sansa clip claims to be doubled for some
• Got any? Want them included in the OP of future /pmp/ threads? Then post them itt!

Why use a pmp and not a phone?
• Aside from this tired old bait, dedicated devices are subjectively more comfortable when you want a dedicated player with a large storage capacity
• you want a small player for physical activities
• you want a dedicated player in situations where you don't want your phone tied to any cords

Previous thread >>???

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/
shop144392449.world.taobao.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nice! Is this going to be a thing now?

What are the chances of Microsoft opening up on the Zune software so we can finally get some Rockbox support on there?

chinkshit represents, i need to get a SD for this thought.

Who else /cowon/ here?

my phone has replaced everything and sometimes I think it's kind of a shame that dedicated devices for a lot of things are no longer needed. when I look at old sony walkmans, minidisc players, etc. it's sad to think that they're totally irrelevant now. sometimes I want one just to have one because of how cool they look, but I know I wouldn't use it when I can have just have one device in my pocket that fixes it all. I miss that era of industrial design with dedicated hardware buttons, knobs, now it's all just touchscreens.

I'm using this. the battery life is as advertised. I was using a clip+ before but the battery died in less than 5 hours. I went nuclear with this one.

The firmware is shit tier and even though I can put a 64GB SD cards, it only plays 4000 songs.

I miss rockbox. Too bad it's dead.

Forgot the pic.

$50 sony nwz I bought years ago
Had never failed me

I still keep mine around for home use

Phones aren't that great in the battery life department though

My nigguh. i don't know what to get after my Z2 because it seems like spending 600+ is what you're in for with cowon.

just use your phone like a normal person

The key advantage of a pmp is having physical controls you can use without having to look at your device. Touchscreen pmp are the stupidest fucking thing.

My pick for most my pick for best-feeling device.

Bruh that's what headphone controls are for.

My headphones don't have controls.

Nobody cares about your autistic needs. Most people have headphones with controls.

Eat a dick, you retard.

>Most people have headphones with controls.

I was always kind of amazed at how long my MD player would run on just a single AA battery, especially since I remember the days of CD players that would go through a pair of AAs in no time at all.

I recently dug it out of my closet (pic is not mine, but same model), and even got the software and drivers working on my Win7 desktop. LP2 still results in reasonably decent sound quality. Still, though, it can't compete with the convenience of my Sansa or my phone.

Best PMP coming through

Wait, I meant to upload this one.

Got the Plenue D, M and M2. Cheap option = D, best value option = M2.

I still have my Sony MD deck in my component stereo. A buddy of mine who worked for IBM back in the early 00s had a deck in his car, was convinced it was the next format.

If there was a way to read MDs on a PC, it would have been incredible.

dude thats a sweet camera. what is it?

reporting in

What would you guys recommend for a device that works with a music library manager that does normalizing, set song start end times etc

Itunes does all that but I fucking hate the apple sync shit is obtuse.

That's not Fiio X5 3rd gen + Foobar app.

What if you have a huge amount of songs? I think it is better to use a search function (like the one in VLC for android) rather than using the "next" button in a pmp

You don't need a touchscreen to search your library.

Right, but if you are looking for a specific song. It will take some time, doesn't it?

You just enter the song name like you would with a touchscreen. Only difference is you're not using a touchscreen.

So there are pmp with some kind of keyboard?

Maybe, I'm just talking about using the physical controls to control an onscreen keyboard.

What is that? I love the robust look!

best player coming through

cayin n5

Thoughts on X1?

Mine died after one side of the lock on the charger died and it got stuck in it and ripped out the charging ribbons.....

>Previous thread >>???
rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

how much was it?

My J3 doesn't hold battery charge like it used to and i've been looking into replacements. Is the Sony NWZA17SLV any good?

iphone

Yes. I'm using the A-15 (same player just less internal storage) and it's fantastic. If you're in Europe you'll want to run NWSDTestTool to remove the volume restrictions though.

My sansa clip is getting old. Particularly, it doesn't seem to hold as good of a charge these days. Is there a good replacement? Or would it be feasible to replace the battery?

You just need a Li-ion battery that fits.

How come yours has a camo skin? How long does your battery last? When i have an sd card plugged in it only last about a day. Without sd card it lasts 80 hours

Is there a smart watch that can be used as a pmp? I been looking at some smaet watches but they only are useful to my if they play story and play music on my wrist. The moto360 look good but is like only 1 gig

I use a dragonfly black on my desktop to drive my dt990 250ohm and hyper clouds. I unplug it from it's usb extender in the morning on the way out the door and keep it in my pocket connected to the usb otg and my Sony XBA-H1 iem's.
I use it with USB Audio Player Pro on my Galaxy s4 with it's 128gb sd to play my flac.
It's not perfect but it didn't cost me anything and while the dragonfly is really inadequate for the dt990's it is night and day with the IEMs they sound much better.

its a ""collector edition""" i think that is the same as any Ruizu, well i had it for two months and only recharged it once, so i will say that 80 hours too.
I haven't tried it with a micro sd.

what's a good MP3 player to buy right now?

I'm in the market for one, I'd like it to have bluetooth compatibility for my headphones, a good battery life, and sd card support.

My nigga

~$300

neil gaiman wrote a book about norse mythology? That's like if Varg wrote a book about jew mythology

Yeah Zune have a search feature and depending on the Zune you could just type using the touch screen or main button

I think for 100 bucks there is nothing better, maybe the top quality of the X5 is another case but this bastard have an excellent chips

I like how it looks

Does anything beat a Clip+ with Rockbox these days?

purple headphones link?

picked this up on a whim not knowing what it was. best random purchase ever.

I have a Fiio X1 I would like to use more, the problem here is that I mainly listen to music on my computer anyway, where nothing like it is really needed.

Basically everything from later years. I don't get why Sandisk's crap is memed so much, they're way too light and shit.

I gave one of these to my sister. Opened up the package, charged it, installed Rockbox and loaded some songs on it before putting it back in the package and giving it to her.

Then I gave it away for a box of cigarettes and condoms.

Fuck you Tim! Hope mom and dad kick your ass! I told you to get an iPhone -.-

She actually wanted one though, to avoid wasting phone battery when not needed.

Just bought an 160 GB iPod classic for my car.

It's a pain when your car infotainment system supports ipods but not Bluetooth Music Streaming..

I still regret using my classic, the back gets ruined with any movement.

why though? you can use a phone that does this and much more for a cheap price.

only one that springs to mine is the clip zip: better display + rockbox support

also to add all the points in op are nonsensicle. you can have large capacity on any phone (sd + large base)
you can choose to use flight mode or similar and have a long battery
you can use a strap for your phone when running, and shouldnt listen to music when do excersise anyway

>airplane mode

congrats you turned your phone exclusively into an mp3 player.

my point

Copied from another thread, phonefags get out

>I'm sat here right now with my phone and MP3 player. There are multiple reasons as to why I will always use a dedicated device for music.

>1) Battery - Since I use my phone for other things, the battery is unreliable and unpredictable. I'm not adjusting my phone usage just so that I can listen to music, whereas my MP3 player can easily last 50 hours on a single charge, it's currently on 75% and I haven't charged it since Sunday. My phone is on 7% and would be pretty useless if I wanted to use it right now for listening to music.

>2) Storage - Again, I use my phone for other things, so storage is unreliable. I could carry around multiple SD cards but that would be a hassle, if I want to use my phone like I would normally do and listen to music I would have to switch cards every 20 minutes.

>3) Sound quality - Dedicated devices are better, no real explanation needed there.

>4) Physical buttons - It's much easier to navigate blind, and just generally easier to navigate.

>You can not argue with these points, trying to just makes you look retarded.

holy shit this has to be bait since all those points are weak as fuck.

you can get sd cards that are 256gb now days
you can get phones with batteries that last two days with frequent use, and portable batteries exsist
quality is the exact same
last point is granted, but you can still bind controls to volume buttons (as ive done) and power button if you have a case that allows it

>Quality is the same
That's clearly not true since they have a miniscule amount of space and cost for the DAC and amp their sound capability will always be a shit compromise with a weakling amp and a DAC from furby or some shit

all good dacs sound the same, a/b blind tests between similar priced things show this, and even in onboard motherboard vs dacs no one could tell the difference. There was even a post on headfi about this a long time ago

Why would they use a good DAC when 99.99% of normalfags don't care and they can save a dollar per phone

by turning on airplane mode to get "more battery life" you're losing all of the extra features you would have gotten by using a phone for music, at that point you just have a really big, really fragile mp3 player

>you can get sd cards that are 256gb now days
I have one in my MP3 player. It's over half full. I have a 64gb one in my phone that it is filled up every few weeks. I archive the files onto a 4TB harddrive. So yes, storage is an issue.

>you can get phones with batteries that last two days with frequent use, and portable batteries exist
So carry something around that is just as big as an MP3 player as a backup battery? My phone doesn't even have a removable battery. I like my current phone enough to not warrant getting a new one for a while.
>quality is the exact same
No it isn't.

>you can still bind controls to volume buttons (as ive done) and power button if you have a case that allows it
Sounds awful.

get a bigger sd card, i have a 128gb in my phone and take my videos and pics off it once a week). I think its got 50gb of music on it.

>Sound quality
>He thinks his $20 sansa clip mac beats my $1.3k iPhone 7 plus red edition limited edition payed in ca$$$$h

The same issues will arise. If I put 200gb (which continues to expand) of music onto my phone, my phone will have less storage for what I want to use it for. Again, I am not adjusting my phone usage just so I can listen to music.

Generally speaking the Sansa Clip won't. It's pretty average on sound quality and has an audible hiss, but I don't use a Sansa Clip.

that doesnt adjust phone usage, it adjusts sd card size. If youre telling me that youre going to have more that 192 gb of music on your phone then thats just ridiculous, but you can still get a 512gb card.

Yes it does. If I am unable to store files on my phone it's rendered useless. Having less storage means archiving files more often which is a hassle. I'm sorry my needs are different than yours.
512gb cards are more expensive than my MP3 player and phone combined, so no it's not an option. The first point 1 is still a valid reason too.

Waiting on dac stats.

Aren't all Sansa's slowly dying by now?

all that shit taste in one pic

Search for dz9 on aliexpress, or get them from the source (1+8 model) shop144392449.world.taobao.com/

Ive also got a pair that are 1+3 from the same seller, theyre the red and blue pair

Uploaded wrong picture

I still wish Microsoft would just open source all the Zune HD code they had and dump it for anyone to make use of. The hardware was great, the display was great, it was a very capable device but as usual it was crippled by Microsoft's stupidity in locking it down on so many levels.

Would still love to have a 64GB Zune HD and I look for them on eBay from time to time, pretty rare these days and whenever they do get listed the owners almost always want a shitload of cash for 'em, like $250+ which is crazy fucking insane but I understand why they ask such prices.

Damned shame, it really was, had so much potential and just didn't get a proper chance to survive.

Fuck you, Microsoft, fuck you.

Man if only they did, shame Microsoft is still ashamed of the Zune. They didn't like the Zune brick appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 either.

Since I have an older model iPhone (was a given to me). It works ok as a phone and looking shit up on the go.
But for music, it is absolutely horrible to play any kind of custom music on it.

So I use cassettes, as they give me the highest level of control.

Compact Cassette is pretty cool, albeit inconvenient.

dude dont bait.
it ruins the thread

You can still use old stuff but I understand where you're coming from, I still mess around with cassettes but it's just a bit annoying to have to record stuff in rel time and just the fact that belts deteriorate so you've got ot deal with fixing that

QUESTION TIME /pmp/;

What was your VERY first portable media player ?

Mine was the Sony Walkman WM-EX122 (or possibly one of those kid walkmans that came with a microphone attached) still have fond memories of making mixtapes using my dad's Cassette deck and stereo radio for that walkman though. Sony wasn't kidding about these having MEGA BASS either.

Some toy cassette player; then later a Panasonic discman-thingy, still have it, but it skips too much to be usefull.

I don't know the exact model but it was a JVC CD player, one of the ones with that inline remote that you'd plug your headphones into.

Bumping this