/pcbg/ PC Building General

post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/ - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX400/500s)
>1070 - if on sale/can't afford 1080
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/pCxWvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/6W92wV
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/B2hf7P
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/vYnzyc
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/h3qt6h
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/7C3P6h
pcpartpicker.com/product/XZCrxr/msi-b350m-mortar-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b350m-mortar
pcpartpicker.com/product/6T7CmG/gigabyte-ga-ab350m-gaming-3-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-ga-ab350m-gaming-3
pcpartpicker.com/user/viperbear/saved/TV8GXL
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999222&cm_re=foam-_-11-999-222-_-Product
pcpartpicker.com/list/djN9d6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can I get some feedback on my build, about to pull the trigger. It is intended for 1080p 60fps gaming on medium-ultra settings depending in the game.
pcpartpicker.com/list/pCxWvV

I think you'll be happy with it, but I'd get a modular UPS personally

pcpartpicker.com/list/6W92wV
Basically what I'm looking at starting, the Mobo and ram (yes I want 16) are just what I pulled of Logical Increments so I'm open to changes, I only ever lurk when I'm building or buying parts so how is the 7700k with 1080 ti for 4k?

Great. Shills will tell you to get AMD and you should if you are doing other CPU intensive stuff aside from gaming otherwise 7700k and a 1080ti is probably the best you can do for gaming unless you get a 1800 instead.

Don't fall for no source benchmarks. Do your own research as well.

>SHILLS! EVERYONE'S A SHILL!
no. It doesn't work that way. Call me when Intel can produce a good product without price gouging.

The 7700K is only worth it if the only thing you do is game at 1440P at 144 FPS.
For anything else, AMD Ryzen does everything else better, and doesn't perform that much worse in games.
If you only game, it's prefectly fine.
If not, Switch to Ryzen.

My only complaint about the build beyond that is the power supply is fucking overkill. A 600/550 Watt would be perfectly fine

>no. It doesn't work that way
It works that way when morons in this thread start posting benchmarks without source and then entire thread devolves into shitposting when someone ask for a source and the moron refuses to provide one. This has happened multiple time already.

I went for Ryzen over Intel because I do more than just gaming. I like to have a lot of tabs open and things running because I'm autistic or something and I don't want my house to burn down. Plus I'm probably gonna get into editing down the line. Don't really care about the hyper gaymen sound shit headphones because that's gay as shit. Other than that I just like the keyboard and mouse.

Updated build from plz r8

How important is it to reinstall your OS if you're changing motherboards? Sup Forums says you will get significant problems if I keep my current installation.

Nice build OP

1080 ti can play a fair few games at 4k 60fps, but it's not really a huge 4k card like the Titan XP. Still fine.
i7 is fine as well. Ryzen is good too for different things. Pick whatever you want depending on what you need. People make a big deal out of it but a lot of it comes down to brand preference and the fuckers on this general love memeing over it.
RAM is fine, you could get cheaper ones at lower frequency and it won't really affect performance, but if you really want 3200 then it's only around 20-30 bucks more.

Some recommendations besides that:
- Get an aftermarket 1080 ti. iirc founders edition ones tend to have worse thermals
- Power supply is overkill, you can get PSUs just as good for much less. Look for around 550-600w like the other user says, gold and fully modular, you can save like 60+ bucks.
- That case just looks really expensive. Not my specialty, buy what you want, but it just seems very expensive, you can get some killer cases for less I think.

Depends on your OS. W10 is actually very good at swapping between Mobo. And so is W8. W7 down or Linux? Best to reinstall your OS.

Yeah it would really only be gaming, I read reviews saying that mobo is frowned on? I don't care about frame rates of 60, so it can do 4k at 60. As the
>SOME
In the OP is the first thing that has made me wary. Ryzen has also screwed my perception up.

Thank you my friend, although i am not OP

Ryzen's AM4 platform just needed some time to mature. 90% of the problems have been ironed out by now.

More of a couple years ago I understood it as the i7 was "da best" and now the Ryzen is turning against the memes

I would recommend getting the 6GB version.
I'm using 3.2GB of my 4GB Rx 570 while playing doom at 1080p Ultra, and check the reviews of that monitor, for that price you should always be sure.

Oh it´s you again. looks great. just remember to check the QVL memory support for that specific MoBo. And remember to get some intake fans. (or maybe your case comes with some?)

just seems like you´re overspending IMO. that case is too freaking expensive, and so is the PSU. Consider ryzen if you´re not gaming above 120Hz, since the plataform will last a few years of updates and the higher core/thread count will ensure future gaming performance.

Whats a good AM4 mobo under $100?
I'm doing a full system upgrade and I want to get a good mb without spending way more on something I will never fully use
I really only care that it has GPU passthough support and 2 PCI-e lanes

slots*, even

What RAM to buy to get the best perfs on my future Ryzen 1700?

pends on mobo

Whatever, budget for mobo is 400€ max

Sup Forumsamer girl builds for June 15

>$480 - ANY 2017 title @ 1080p50 medium settings, even better in some titles
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/B2hf7P

>$840 - ANY 2017 title @1080p60 high settings

>$1000 - ANY 2017 title @ 1440p60 medium settings

>$1390 - ANY 2017 title @ 2160p60 low settings

If you want better CPU overclocking, go with an X370 mobo, get an aftermarket cooler, get a gold certified PSU.

Need a HDD? Go with Hitachi.

is zotac a good brand for gpu? I remember seeing some user's cryptic comment in previous thread.
>zotac
>:^)

There's nothing wrong with the Zotac brand. It's very popular.

Anyone that says otherwise and doesn't supply proof is a shill.

good build. Personally I'd go for a 120GB SSD and then buy the extra HDD later when I need it.

Why are Gigabyte products so garbage?

3 fan Gigabyte G1 1070 is louder and hotter than 2 fan EVGA SC2.

pcpartpicker.com/product/XZCrxr/msi-b350m-mortar-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b350m-mortar

or

pcpartpicker.com/product/6T7CmG/gigabyte-ga-ab350m-gaming-3-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-ga-ab350m-gaming-3

Cheaper one.

Can you explain to me the logic behind a 250GB SSD? Is it notable at that price point?

250GB is manageable for light users like myself. I keep several older titles and two modern titles downloaded. I also have space for all of my normal files and programs.

I no longer recommend HDDs, they're slower, will not last as long as the current SSDs, and are less reliable. I would only pick up an HDD if you cannot afford a 250GB SSD, or if you needed mass storage.

In that case I'd recommend any sized Hitachi 7200rpm HDD.

>Get an aftermarket 1080 ti. iirc founders edition ones tend to have worse thermals
Should I go Evga or Asus?

Either, or you can go with a Zotac. You're not going to get a bad card from any of these vendors.

Doesn't really matter, you can research yourself about the specific cards, im sure benchmarks exist. I know what EVGA has a great warranty policy.

Case comes with two but they suck ass. Any recommendations on fans?

t. intel shill

I currently have an Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz and i was wondering what kind of performance i would see with an upgrade to a G4560 as in the OP post.

Small, go with this

>$840 - ANY 2017 title @1080p60 high settings

They cost exactly the same so it's really down to personal preference.

Ok. Because i am a fucking autist when it comes to this shit. What should i be looking out for when it comes to putting this into an existing build?

Well the Core i7 950 is too old to update. You will need to assemble an entire new machine for a noticable difference.

This build is $840, and will run twice as fast. The video card matches the CPU in performance. Plenty of PSU wattage for some CPU overclocking.

pcpartpicker.com/user/viperbear/saved/TV8GXL
The build is now $30 less!
This probably won't really be built until the fall, so we'll see how the 1080 ti price goes. I'm also still iffy between 7700k and 1700x for 4k@60. Maybe I'll just go 1440p whatever.
Thanks for your shilling and input I'll be back in a few weeks when I go through a second guessing crisis/panic when I start ordering parts.

Hey, if you wanted to look at a second opinion

Choosing between these two.

MSI.

Fuck well alright... I just went out and got a new case i guess i will look into that.
This is my current build btw

Nice! Don't get rid of that old Intel chip. That's a 1st-gen i7 right?

>Ryzen 1400
genuinely curious, shouldn't you go with 1500 instead since the price diff is so small?

He absolutely can, however; the 1500X would bottleneck the GPU.

The 1500X is best matched with the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

I believe so. This build is good?

Yeah, that's still a nice machine IMO.

Oh well fuck it's almost 6 years old. And people have been telling me to "Upgrade that peice of outdated shit".

but this build here pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/vYnzyc
uses both Ryzen 1400 and GTX 1060 6GB. am I missing something?

I forgot to ask, How common is it to build for 4k and dial back and fourth to 1440p for different games? Knowing I can just do that would make me a lot less silly.

The 1400 is a shitty rec, I agree. The 1500X is like $20 more and a solid 10-15% more powerful due to the higher clockspeeds and more cache. The 1600 at $220 is the real winner though if it's attainable.

You're thinking too narrowly. Just because he'll be bottlenecked by a 1050Ti doesn't mean that it automatically makes sense to NOT spend 40 more dollars for 50% more cores and threads. A good handful of games will also benefit from more threads. 1600 or bust. If the 1400 and the 1500X were say, $140 and $160 respectively I might agree, but they're just too close in price to not spring for the 1600.

Obviously the Prime.

My bad! I meant the 1500X is best matched with the GeForce GTX 1070.

If you would like that instead
>$1000 - ANY 2017 title @ 1440p60 medium settings

Uh yeah I was going to say.
Nvidia driver doesn't have the same issues on the 4core Ryzens that it does with any 6+ core CPU.

A 1500X @ 4GHz is +/- 5% gaming performance of the i7-7700(non-k), which paces well with the 1070.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999222&cm_re=foam-_-11-999-222-_-Product
Is this foam any good, or is there better sound dampening foam for the money?

Why is it obvious?

The Gigabyte one has more USB ports and more SATA ports so I'm going to go with that one
Thanks, user

ahh ok thanks a lot. so to roughly sum it up:
Ryzen 1400 + GTX 1060 6GB => med-ultra 1080p60
Ryzen 1500X + GTX 1070 => ultra 1080p60, med 1440p60
I'll keep that in mind. I wonder where I can get list of CPU-GPU pairings like this.

I want to upgrade to VEGA when it comes out, do you think a 650 watt PSU will be enough for it?

Yes

>Ryzen 1400 + GTX 1060 6GB => med-ultra 1080p60
>Ryzen 1500X + GTX 1070 => ultra 1080p60, med 1440p60
This is complete newfaggy nonsense. These boxes you're putting the CPU/GPU combinations in won't even be valid in year, maybe less when Vega GPUs comes out.

1600 or bust. Stop listening to anyone recommending a 1400 or 1500X.

With 4c/8t, in 3 or 4 years you'll be like someone with an i5-3570K getting wrecked with CPU bottlenecks while the person who sprung for the 3770 or 3770K is still cruising. This is even more of a no-brainer because the 1600 is only a few $ more. Forget the 1400 and 1500X.

They're all price points, user. You get what you can for the dollar you can give.

But here's a build satisfactory for you

Is the Rx-470 coupled with an i7-3770 enough to run dota 2 at Ultra 60f 1080pps?

Plenty

I know you're making recommendations by pricepoint and I'm trying to tell you why that's always been a lazy and shortsighted way to make builds. This is precisely why logicalincrements has gone to shit.

If you can't afford a 1600 then you need to figure out a way to trim $40 off the rest of the build. This is usually so fucking trivial I just cringe every time I see some lame 1400/1500X build paired with a bunch of fat that could be trimmed.

6 cores and 12 threads for $220. You're crazy if you don't buy a 1600.

is a 1060 a significant upgrade from a 970, or would I be better off spending the extra $100 for a 1070?
or should I just wait for 11XX/Vega at this point, hell I've got this far and it still works mostly fine for modern vidya
I just want to get a 4k monitor at some point, and I want to be ready for AC7/Monster Hunter World when they finally drop

Go with the 1070

>is a 1060 a significant upgrade from a 970
nope

Good luck getting a non existant product

just get a ryzen 5 1600

msi

>1600 + Stock
Or
>1600x + Cryorig H7

Mainly gaming, minor overclocking planned. 1600x is cheap right now, so I'm considering moving up if it's worth it.

Stock will do minor overclocking fine.

What sites have reliable reviews and benchmarks (pls no shill)

pcpartpicker

How important is CAS in memory? Is it worth paying another $30 to go from 16 to 15?

CAS is important, but does not make a large impact. It's mostly prestige for a lot more $$$.

And no.

Is a Cryorig H7 much of an upgrade from a stock Ryzen 1600 cooler?

pcpartpicker.com/list/djN9d6

I'm getting the parts for my first decent pc ever, but i know nothing.
This is what i've assembled with the help of some kind anons.

I want to be able to play any game on the market and stream while doing it, other than that it'll mainly be used for watching chinese cartoons.
At current i can barely run skyrim at low res and lowest settings, i want to play modern AAA titles like witcher 3 like everyone fucking else.

I want to optimize this build as much as possible because poorfag, but i'm not willing to give up the power i need to do any of that, so if it takes me a while to get the cash together, so be it.
It's already down to 2k from 2.5k.

Again, i've never built a PC before because i haven't had the cash, so i don't know what else i might need. I didn't even think about fan controllers until i saw the listing, and i don't know if i need one or not, or if i can just plug them in and let them run.

Might as well just get a 7700k if you're planning to spend this much.
You may not even need a fan controller. You could get pwm fans instead and control with your mobo, or 3 pin with adapters.

Another user said 7700k overheat and so aren't good for overclocking.
I live in a hot area anyways so it wouldn't be ideal.

Also, what exactly does this mean and should i be worried about it?
>The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6Gb/s ports are disabled.

Did this user suggest a Ryzen instead? Similar performance and cooler.

Yes, but i'm worried about the potential issues of mixing AMD and intel.

>potential issues of mixing AMD and intel.
wut.
They use completely different motherboard sockets.

Driver issues when using an AMD card with Intel processor?

nope. No issues. The drivers work on Intel systems. They just work better with AMD systems. Mainly because Intel isn't going to send prototype processors to AMD to work on driver development.

What? No issues.

He apparently lives in a hot place, so a Ryzen would be the better idea.

Alright then, i guess. Which card would you recommend as an alternative to the 1080 or 1080ti?

None. Unless you wait for Vega those are the best cards in the market right now unless you buy a Titan X

There aren't any alternatives because AMD right now doesn't have any high end GPUs in the market, they're all mainstream budget cards. Vega isn't out yet, Voodoo is dead, and Navi is a long way away.
Either wait for the end of the month since there's rumors of new rx570 and 580s being stocked, or get a 1060 6GB for now.

I think Ima get shit for this but

I have a "Thermaltake Chaser A31 VP300A6W2N White SECC ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case' will a 1080ti fit? When I upgraded from a r9 285 to a 970 the room in the case got a lot more cramped and I want to make
Sure it'll fit :/

How is logicalincrements these days?

Why don't you measure it yourself and then check vs the specifications?

shit.