Microsoft Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID

Microsoft is releasing a keyboard with Fingerprint ID.
How come Apple didn't put Touch ID on their standalone keyboards with the release of new iMacs?

youtu.be/YDpGtDzAw4I

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/pdf/1609.04327.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what is the point

Straight to the Us government

for the NSA to get your fingerprints, duh

t. tinfoil hat autismo

My Thinkpad already has a fingerprint scanner running Lincucks!

>hidden fingerprint scanner
>fucking fingerprint symbol on the key

You can use it instead of having to type your password, makes things easier and faster.

It isn't even subtle even more. I, for one, welcome our new big tech government cabals knowing every aspect of our lives

Looks like a pencil dick from the thumbnail.

Is everything dicks to you?

(Related to the pic)
Deep paradox

I know that Apple's Touch ID saves your fingerprint in a chip Secure Enclave, meaning it's encrypted on your iPhone or MacBook Pro and is never seen by Apple, don't know how Microsoft does it tho.

Not everything.
Sometimes it's balls...

If your system is compromise to that level then you are really fucked anyway. Fingerprints are extremely easy to get, IIRC a german hackergroup was able to reproduce (and make a fake copy) the fingerprints of a politician from just some photographs shot during a speech.

Even if Apple saves it in the Secure Enclave that doesn't mean they don't send it to themselves.

Are you functionally retarded user?

just botnet my shit up

It makes your PC less safe.
You can change your password, but you cant change your fingerprints.

I doubt people using Windows care about safety All a password does is prevent someone from just taking a seat on your chair and scrolling through your shit before you come back.
They're not encrypted, you just pluck the drive out and read them same as any old installation of any OS that's not encrypted by the user.
Resetting a password on windows takes absolutely zero effort when you have a physical acess to the machine.

In fact any machine that someone has physical access to is by definition compromised.

Biometrics are the worst.

>Companies datamining finger fucking prints and combining them with Internet of Things/IT machines.

This is profiling out of this fucking world. And fucking dangerous.

>fingerprint ids get big
>government releases new pass with fingerprint ability
oh goy yes give us your fingerprints

>In fact any machine that someone has physical access to is by definition compromised

thats where you're wrong though. Remember that terrorist guy's iphone that the fucking US GOVERNMENT couldnt hack?

>fingerprint ids get big
It's already big for like 20 years now

>Remember that terrorist guy's iphone that the fucking US GOVERNMENT couldnt hack?
They did and they did it easily and even announced it publicly.
They wanted Apple to provide tools for them so they could spy on everyone and their mother, not because they genuinely had trouble decrypting the contents of the phone.

before
>"GIVE US YOUR PASSWORD"
>"lol sorry i forgot"

now
>"GIVE US YOUR FINGERPRINT"
>"b-but muh constitution"
>cia chops off your finger

FBI vs Apple was solved when FBI bought an iPhone exploit from an italian hacking company. They bought use of the exploit but not actually what the exploit was.

Pretty sure the exploit has been patched.

But yes, their motive was to get Apple to be legally required to let them hack into everyone's phone, and not just 'this' phone on demand. They wanted the legal ruling for that.

Have you read arxiv.org/pdf/1609.04327.pdf ?
Some dude worked out how to do it just coz.

I type 120 wpm. I have a feeling detecting a fingerprint would take longer.

when logging in with your fingerprint big brother doesn't only get to know your fingerprint, he can also tell when you're using what and what for. that's another level of information beyond merely having your fingerprint stored for reference.

>How come Apple didn't put Touch ID on their standalone keyboards with the release of new iMacs?
Because their business is to sell you shiny hardware not gather your data for the NSA

On the side and away from the keyboard, not on a key that you can accidentally press.

>Because their business is to sell you shiny hardware not gather your data for the NSA
Apple already puts Touch ID on MacBook Pros and iPhones.

Apple have already released a standalone fingerprint scanner for their iPhones when the TouchID dies.

>microsoft
>using non changing biometric identification/authentification
>secure

>scotch tape
>keyboard
>fingerprint
>never changes
>identity thefts best friend

OP is asking on the standalone keyboard. For better or worse, fingerprint readers are already in many mobiles and a good chunk of business laptops