Hi Sup Forums

Hi Sup Forums
Some time ago I thought I was cool and decided to protect my BIOS with an admin password. Problem is, I forget it. After some searches, I found that my only hope was to open my computer and remove CMOS for some minutes. And so I did. Problem is, I just can't see a CMOS in my motherboard. Can someone help me locating it?

>pic related is my motherboard

I'm pretty sure it's the one that reads 'Swapnet'

Where?

Ha! I did the same thing. I tried to reflash the CMOS by removing the battery but it didnt do anything. I found out how to type in a default manufacturer password and it removed mt Admin pass. What brand is the BIOS? And what brand is your motherboard?

I can't locate the BIOS either but if I were to guess I would say that ITE thing. Also the motherboard is Asus X541uv main board

Ok. Boot your laptop up and enter the bios and tell me what date it is showing

OK give me some minutes, I need to build the laptop. Tha is for the help

Remove the CMOS?
Are you sure?
They probably meant remove the battery. The CMOS is inside the BIOS chip, it's its memory, it loses its data when it has no power. That's why most computers have a button battery inside.
In case of laptops, they usually run from the battery. Since you ahve already removed it, I'd say you are good to go.

If you have a multi meter look for something with power going to it, then trace it.

When I tried fixing my stupid mistake, removing the battery did nothing. Afterwards I found out CMOS data is stored as flash settings so removing my battery did nothing

give it back tyrone

06/27/2016
00:01

Op here, yes it was the battery. My fault

Sure it doesn't have a non-volatile flash CMOS?
Maybe it has pads on the board that trigger a CMOS reset?

Hmm thats odd. Try and removing the CMOS battery and all power and see if that sets the time to the time of factory setting. Actually if you can please also show me a picture of it

Well, this isn't 2011 anymore, lot of shit uses non-volatile memory for CMOS nowadays, sometimes on the same silicon as the BIOS itself. The battery is just there for keeping time.

That's the main reason why I created this thread, I can't locate the CMOS battery. Also, it's odd that it asks me for the password before entering the BIOS but if I press backspace I'm able to enter it in read only mode. Do you want a picture of the BIOS?

You need to somehow reset the clock. And yes show me the bios so I can see if it is the same as mine

This is weird. Now the clock is back to normal

take the laptop back sheldon

Change the date to 2009-01-22 and when you try to type in the password press Alt-R and then type in L1A92LDA

It is the exact same as my system but it the date was at 2009. I cant remember if there is a factory reset option in the bios if so try that

SHIIIT it worked. I just can't thank you enough, I entered as admin. Now, how do I reset?

take it back deiter

Np. But what worked? Did you put in the factory password? What is it you mean by reset? But yea you really should take it back

I did the 2009 thing and restored to defaults, everything's fine by now. Much thanks

Glad it worked. Now go take it back Ramirez