/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=Install Firefox on Linux
freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-display-managers/
jide.com/remixos-for-pc
davmail.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who's the guy next to Richard? Wozniak?

is amdgpu/amdgpu-pro not shit yet

Blog post with details on my Debian -> Devuan migration, it might help someone.

Forgive this shameless self-plug, I forgot the previous thread was about to hit limit.

Anyone mind giving me some advice about using makepkg on ARCHISO? I want to build AUR packages on my live disk but makepkg bitches about being root and arches will bitch if everything isn't root.

post more feet

Hi guys!

In order to install xfce on arch do I just need to pacman -S xfce4 then startxfce4?

Arch is for advanced users only.

and this is an advanced concept you shitposter. There's no longer a root flag for makepkg it literally won't let you do it and ARCHISO breaks if you try to su nobody and fakeroot doesn't supported nested bullshit.

Ah, the classic "pretending to be retarded" shitpost. Ironic, because only retards resort to it for entertainment.

wow writing a couple of sentences on a terminal you can copy from the archwiki makes you an advanced user?

This is why linux won't ever get good. Enjoy your shitty pride on typing on a computer. It doesnt compensate for your fat, pimples and lack of gf. I'll clone the vm and try them anyways so that I can tell everybody how easy it is to run arch and they do it too.

Soon you won't even find comfort in Gentoo until you compile your own SO... which you can't because you're just an script kiddie who can only type things other thought and created before this "advanced user". Don't make me laugh retard :)

GNU/Linux*

Can I ask why you switched from debian to devuan? The only changed you mentioned was the UI, and not in the positive.

Replying to yourself because you are starved of (((you)))s is pretty desperate.

>you will never compile your own SO (significant other)
>you will forever rely on pre-compiled robowaifus
It hurts.

It seems that you are offended because you find those as real issues and can only think of it as a false flag attack?

LOL, the worst part is that it just happened for real.That retard isn't me. I wanted to install xfce and that's why I asked but it seems I'll just have to take some time and google it.

If you feel your accomplishments diminished by me making it more available to other people as soon as I get it working sorry, but fuck you as well elitist scum.

Stereotypes are real it seems, what a joke. Also what the fuck are you guys doing on a friendly linux thread if all you can tell people is that you are "leet" and an "advanced user" (lol the cringe) instead of helping?

tumbleweed or stretch?

>using google

get a real distro

Not that guy, but I also recently made the switch. I primarily moved to Devuan because init related tasks and scripting is impossible with systemD, also my PC now boots up much faster which is always nice.

I also appreciate the professionalism of the Devuan developers. I hate the way Debian brings it's SJW politics into the distribution, which is partly why I moved away from it early last year.

I simply wanted to get off the systemd train. I'm also no longer happy with the way Debian seems to be heading.

That thing about the UI is a bit relative. If I've been using thunar instead of spacefm as my main file manager so far it's because of the xfce flavour - in terms of features and usability spacefm is generally superior. And I don't think installing just libsystemd0 in order to get thunar integration is a big deal, I'll probably do that in a different system.

The biggest change is probably replacing lightdm with slim. Slim is simpler and less user-friendly. For example, it lacks buttons for choosing session type and shutting down/rebooting (it lacks the buttons, not the functionality). But in fact I usually had problems with lightdm - I'm pretty sure the shutdon functionality was broken more often than not - whereas slim works just fine and looks arguably better. You guys would love slim, it's the kind of thing Sup Forums would cream its pants over if Sup Forums ever used the GUI and used a display manager rather than startx.

Bottom line, I was willing to make some compromises in order to switch to a system that I would ethically agree with more and feel more comfortable using, yet in the end I've had to compromise very, very little. There have been some net practical bonuses, too.

Stretch is frozen and will release as 9.0 within months. Tumbleweed has more breakage and fewer packages than Arch.

I just installed this myself from the net install image, it's great.

Googling itself while having access to a dynamic ip isn't bad, doing it while using an account could be, but in the end their privacy practises are even better than other companies such as facebook, or even your employer who doesn't care about security and stores your curriculum and other sensible data in an insecure way.

Unless you go the hippie way in a country which doesn't enforce basic laws such as the need to have an ID, your information is going to leak anyways.

Slim > LightDM by far.

>everything is botnet anyway, lets just give in

>googling
You could, you know, just use a different search engine that at least isn't known to be part of PRISM. Try searx for example.

that woun't help you much, google is huge, google analytics is everywhere
then there are facebook like buttons tracking you and other stuff like that
it sadly isn't that simple to break out of the botnet

What do you guys use for making automatic vps backups?

The other guy here but you can actually block those with some filters on ublock.

Still impossible not to get your data leaked but I don't care that much.

How do I change the amount of lines the scrollwheel travels in X?

>using facebook

such as?
>inb4 archk

it will still be called stretch when its released, its what i meant and it will be released as debian 9 "stretch" tomorrow same way debian 8 is "jessie"

im normally a debian user but i guess im getting memed into using kde and thats best used on suse as far as i know
does it really break that much?

You don't need to have a Facebook account to be tracked, son. Every time you visit a page with a like button, you load stuff from facebook servers and after a while, they have a neat browser history connected to your IP.

uBlock master race prevents this

what's wrong with gvfs?

user, as a openPepe user I tell you to stay away from this bloated distro. There is simply to good reason to use it, even the KDE integration is just a meme. From my experience, arch based distros do an even better job with KDE. Right now I'm waiting for Devuan Ascii to get a bit more mature before finally moving.

Nothing that I know of. I simply wanted a 100% systemd-free install for this machine and as a learning experience.

Is there any difference in speed if you boot from USB instead of DVD?

Hey guys!

I tried installing ubuntu 17.04 gnome from a usb stick but at the end it said it couldn't install the grub program on any partition. I turned my pc off and now it can't boot, leaving only a "Invalid partition" message, either with or without the usb inserted.

Should I just format the usb stick and configure it to install the distribution again? Should I be worried?

I have a dell latitude e7440 with an SSD.

how do I install a tar.gz on mint?

I want to manually install firefox 54 because it's not in the repos yet

lmgtfy.com/?q=Install Firefox on Linux

It is entirely possible to make thunar volume handling possible without sudo priviledges.

Are you starting your graphical session with startx/xinit or via display manager?

that's not very FRIENDLY

optical media has very shitty random access, it was always meant for sequential read and writes.

Yes, it will be slower

He literally did half the work for you, how's that not friendly?

Slim hasn't been updated in years. It doesn't work well with the latest features offered by logind. Enjoy living in the past.

Are you literally retarded? There are official instructions on the Mozilla's website, you don't even have to dig deep for those.

If it's a single user system I see no point in having to use a display manager, you're just wasting resources.
I'm using openbox via openbox session on devuan so details might change if you're not using the same thing.

My .xinitrc
# load .Xresources on X startup
xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources

# start openbox-session with consolekit session
exec dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session openbox-session

My .bash_profile for automatically executing startx whenever I login on tty1
# startx on login tty1 (sysvinit)
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]; then
startx
fi

I have no problem with mounting priviledges on thunar and on pcmanfm (which in my opinion is the superior choice) so everything is just as it was on debian the before I ditched it.

I'd say it's an EFI problem. I don't really know much about it since I don't have hardware that new.
You don't have to be worried, you just might have "problems" installing a distribution. Worst case, you go back to Windows.

He's retarded enough to fail at using an internet website (notice his tripcode and username). Why do you think he'd be smart enough to perform something as simple as installing Firefox?

Which BSD should i install?

I think PC-BSD is best yes?

>If it's a single user system I see no point in having to use a display manager, you're just wasting resources.
Some people prefer the looks.
I am pretty sure that display managers set up more things than just giving you a pretty box to log in. See freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-display-managers/ and all the things it has to do in terms of session establishing.

>and all the things it has to do in terms of session establishing.
You're absolutely right but there's nothing a display manager does that you can't handle by a one liner in .xinitrc

>It is entirely possible to make thunar volume handling possible without sudo priviledges.
I know, I've been using thunar that way for years. Is it possible with no systemd dependencies, though?

I'm using the slim display manager.

Resources used up by a display manager are negligible on any hardware that isn't 20 years old
It's just extra work with no benefits, akin to disabling extra agetty instances

New to ubuntu and having an issue with virtualbox, it just doesn't want to fucking go away.

I have uninstalled it multiple fucking times but it keeps remaining inside of my apt, so when I try to update the little fuck gives an error with the release version for zesty.

>Resources used up by a display manager are negligible on any hardware that isn't 20 years old
Says who

>It's just extra work with no benefits, akin to disabling extra agetty instances
Work you do once do you won't have to keep a feature you don't need many years forward.

How different is debian to arch in terms of management?

I've always used arch on every device for homogenity, but I want to get into the orange pi meme and place a few mini-servers across my house.
But they don't officially support arch arm.
This doesn't matter that much to me, but I'm just so used to the arch wiki, and my install script is completely arch based, so it needs to be configured.
What also bothers me is that it focuses on stability, which makes it sometimes out of date to recent configurations.

So how is the configuration placement?
Is the arch wiki good enough for it, or is there like a debian wiki that should be used?

What are some distros that work well with a 4k tv?

I did a live demo of a few ubuntu flavors and all 3 of them had framerate issues, as well as poor scaling options. I tried kubuntu, ubuntu-budgie and manjaro-xfce. The resolution I can live with but the framerate seems to stick at 30hz.

Devuan Jessie 1.0 is pretty great, if you wanted to give it a try

>apparently used arch or any distribution for years
>apparently doesn't know that it's all the same software that runs on them and which means it behaves the same

>So how is the configuration placement?
If software expects configuration files to be in one place, it will expect that across distributions unless the distribution needlessly changes the software to use new directories which is ridiculous.

Yes Debian is ridiculous.

>Says who
sddm uses 10 megabytes of ram on my setup and it doesn't use any cpu when idle
In worst case scenario it'll get swapped out to never to use any actual ram
Plus/minus ten megabytes is both very small amount in comparison to any typical desktop application, hell, even X11 uses 10 times more ram, and very small amount in comparison to typical ram amount on even a budget or old hardware

Unless you're running on embedded or really ancient hardware, disabling display manager is literally pointless ricing

>unless the distribution needlessly changes the software to use new directories which is ridiculous.
That actually happens more often than you think
You can't copy /etc or /var from one distro to another and expect things to work

Give examples. What config files are even in /var? None as far as I know.

>He still uses a gnu+linux distribution

If your TV has a 'game mode' it might help. Nothing you can do from the OS side. TVs and proper monitors are very different.

Exactly

The location of the config files for openvpn on arch and debian aren't the same for example.

I use some install script for it, and on arch they require manual moving for openvpn to detect them properly (arch needs them in the server subfolder)

>pls pls ask me about my flavour of the week distribution i just installed!!!!11
Okay, what is it?

Thanks. it's jide.com/remixos-for-pc

a really stupid question on ubuntu:
why can i open some applications (ie firefox) just typing 'firefox' on terminal and others i can't?

Because firefox is the name of the executable and the executable is within your PATH. Look up what PATH is.
Which program can't you open?

If you're considering switching to Linux but need access to Exchange email+calendars, install this handy little program and use Mozilla Thunderbird with the Lightning addon. I'm actually using it myself for work now.

davmail.sourceforge.net/

>mfw GNU/Linux with a lightweight WM while everyone else is dealing with Win10

Every window manager is "lightweight". If your computer has trouble running a window manager, then you have bigger problems.

Compared to Win10 even Awesome is featherweight, and that's pretty chunky by WM standards.

If your window manager needs more than 0.01" to init it's bloated.

>proprietary Android
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING

Your time is over. Go away stupid GNU.

I had a similar thing happen to me installing ubuntu 16.04. I think you have to go into the Bios and disable the autoboot or something like that, so you can choose which system to boot up. Then you can choose to run Ubuntu from the usb (not install it, just run it) and once you're running it you can install grub.

Cant remember every detail, and it took me a while, but googling every single error led me in the right direction.

>Dr.
>Honorary doctorate
pick one.

whats a SO?

See

it was sublime text and some other stuff i can't remember

>actual-rms-quote
Nope.

/var/ doesn't contain config files, it contains "variable files", apart from ephemeral caches and logs it also contains various databases. If you host a jabber server, users configuration will be stored in /var, not in /etc

Most programs don't have hardcoded paths at all or they can be changed during build configuration. This exists to support multiple installations of the same software, support multiple platforms or just give more freedom to package maintainers.

The downside of it obviously, is lack of any agreement between distro maintainers on where and how files should be located, apart from usual fhs stuff (and even it is not always agreed on)

Sublime is proprietary shit and who knows how you installed it.

i'm a noobz, but yeah its easy and better than notepad++ imo
i've tried emacs and it was pretty hard

There are other Notepad++ like free text editors. Geany comes to mind.

Try gedit or nano, then learn vim (run vimtutor in the terminal), then learn emacs.

Or at least use atom.

>Or at least use atom
Atom is literally worse than notepad.exe in Windows

but it isn't proprietary, which makes it already better

Sorry. The snack bar is currently closed

It can't open large files, which makes it literally unusable

What are some cool terminal commands?

im pretty sure if I tried to recompile my GF it wouldnt work out well for me, heh ,and her

top kek

echo $((++i))

echo $((++i))

echo $((++i))

echo $((++i))

echo $((++i))

Iterate safely and super fast over things.
for i in $(ls);do echo $i; done

Quickly search a text document.
cat my_file | grep something

When something doesn't work add
sudo su command and it might fix it.

>When something doesn't work add
>sudo su command
>and it might fix it.

do you have to type your password twice?