Laptop overheats

So guys since my laptop is overheating quite often what do you suggest me to buy to help it stay cooler? Are vacuum coolers (pic related) a meme? Should I buy a base fan instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/qmRRxY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>base fan
Literally does nothing. It's

I never heard of those before, they look cool but who knows, you could go RMS style and blow a room fan on your computer

also that pic is retarded, it looks like its sucking hot air out of the laptop and cooling it for the room

shouldnt have bought a trash laptop
stop gaming on it, disable gpu dedicated gpu, underclock cpu

take it apart, clean it.
If that's not enough put new thermal paste.

ya if you using your laptop like a dignified person at a desk, but im using laptops on beds and couches, not having it on cloth, and elevated slightly makes a huge difference

never done the paste, but they sure can clog up without you noticing if you never look

I am not even gaming, it's just pretty old and now that it's 35°C outside it overheats really fast, I tried cleaning it already but it didn't helped much

usually bad thermals are just flawed laptop design

anything that isn't venting out the back was designed poorly

Open it up, clean it out, replace fans replace past, replace pads.

Oh wait you probably don't even own a screw driver. Just go guy a new one!

Serious response: sell your laptop on ebay and build a desktop pc

It's actually easier than you think and you could end up spending as low as $200.

Here is a good $300 mini-itx build (small enough to carry with one hand):
pcpartpicker.com/list/qmRRxY

Buy some canned air, open it up and blast the dust out of the cooling fins.
Dusting REALLY helps.

I'd love to know how the fuck you plan on using a base fan on a bed or couch.

Stick the laptop in a plastic bag and submerge it in cold water.

Forgot pic related is the mini itx case I have. It's very compact and turned sideways you can put a monitor on top.

As for the monitor just go to your local thirft store/goodwill store. I've seen hdmi gaming 1600x900 res monitors with speakers as low as $30 there.

Some of them are made purposely for that use

Heres years of trial and error in a nutshell.

Disassemble it, clean out any dust build up on the fan and cooling fins connected to the heatpipe. Remove old thermal paste and clean it up then apply new thermal paste just enough to cover the die. Put heatsink on then remove it to double check if you put enough then clean it and reapply the same amount. Once all assembled again chain power profiles. Set max CPU speed to 90% on a general purpose profile to disable Turbo feature. Set a bar minimum profile that has everything run at it's slowest speed like 40% for CPU and set iGPU/GPU to maximum battery life. And set fan profile to active for all profiles. If possible for your specific laptop tryout third party software's like speedfan to see if you can set manual fan profiles then set it to 100% for >50c

Thanks a lot man I will try

mini-itxfag here again: dusting your laptop won't do much OP. You're probably trying to do cpu intensive tasks that only heavy duty laptops like the XPS 15 are designed to do. The cooling on most laptops is barely enough to maintain the base frequency on 100% load.

On a desktop not only can you upgrade the heatsink for cooler temperatures but stock heatsinks will cool the cpu at max frequencies under 100% load and still leave you with ~20C° of thermal headroom so the cpu won't suffer from overheating even during the summer.

Change power profiles*

I should also mention I've blown enough on these "laptop coolers" to be able to buy another laptop. I've tried all the exhaust fans and pads. You'll see maybe 1 degree change at idle but once you do anything on the laptop it's useless

Keep ambient temp low with ac

>applying thermal paste then dropping the heatsink then lifting up the heatsink again then putting it back agin

Don't ever fucking do this.

This. Set you ac to full blast at 50C°. So what if it costs you $200 worth of electricity a month or that a small desktop has a ton of thermal headroom even under max load, amirite?

this. purchased some thermal paste last spring and it worked like a charm. make sure to ground yourself before touching anything. also, who needs all 12 screws on the back?

>to double check if you put enough then clean it and reapply the same amount.

read full sentence. Its good learning method for novices who are unsure if they put the right amount

Take the bottom off, clean all the dust out of the fan, reapply thermal paste. That'll def help. You can also get a cheap cooling pad

>it looks like its sucking hot air out of the laptop

That's the point ya dingaling

Only an issue if the paste has dried out a little
Air bubbles are a meme

ur mom is a meem lmao rekt

Reapply thermal paste
Recently did that on a Vostro 1000
Temps went from shutting down under heavy load (95C IIRC) to 68C
Don't worry about how you apply it, as long as there is enough on the chip, temperature differences because of air bubbles will be minor

>... and cooling it for the room
don't stop reading after half a sentence

why not

that's what it does, it's a mini AC unit ya dingaling