What was the moment like when you realized that you were retarded, Sup Forums? For me, it was cracking open this book...

What was the moment like when you realized that you were retarded, Sup Forums? For me, it was cracking open this book. I felt pretty proud of myself for getting past all the math for my CS degree, but this book has crushed any ounce of pride I had...

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist]
gba3d.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

trying to install gentoo for the first time thinking it'd be like installing arch

arch is like installing linux mint or ubuntu but without the gui

Thinking I was good for learning Ancient Greek, then looking at Sanskrit.

Literally the hardest thing I've ever seen.

I can't even understand the goddamn Bitcoin whitepaper

I have felt that way often since I started programming a year ago.

However, if you keep trying you can understand a lot more than you might think. You just have to get used to feeling like an idiot for long periods of time until you crack the problem any get that delicious "I'm a genius" high that lasts a few minutes.

Learn Hindi first, why the fuck would anyone jump straight into a language for priests.

>transferred into the college I wanted to get into originally
>literally every CS class I've taken is a constant reminder that I'm not smart at all
>stopped trying to get help cause whenever I ask an earnest question, I'm met with holyFuckYoureRetarded.jpg
>only friend is a guy I met back in high school, who's pretty much in the same boat as me, except he got into the school first try
The "big fish in a small pond" meme is true, learning your limits is the first step to being happy. Almost every day I spend there, I just want to kill myself.

When I found out that being successful in academics and being a normalfag weren't mutually exclusive

what are you having trouble with specifically

am I a retard for not getting what you mean?

When I went to university I realized you could both be academically successful and have a social life. Where I came from these were exclusive.

Where did you come from? I'm honestly intrigued.

india

So that means studies there were harder? Explain yourself.

Some ex-GDR ghetto in Germany.

Same question then, what was harder there than it was in university?
What changed?

when I got a job

I thought I was smart in college since I got good grades all the time without too much difficulty. Turns out that I did that not because I was particularly intelligent, I was just good at school. I'm good at taking exams, solving canned problems, and doing that read-between-the-lines shit. (Oh, the way to solve this assignment is going to be X, because the chapter we covered in class this week was about X)

Then I started wagecucking and they wanted me to make decisions and solve problems and build new things independently without being told what the solution was going to look like and how I was gonna be graded on it, and I was completely lost.

Trying to take a math grad class. Commutative algebra tore me a new one.

only if you're retarded and have difficulty reading a 5 instead of 1 page guide

I failed to install Arch and succeeded in installing Gentoo.

>he gives a shit about proofs
Math is toolbox. I don't know need to how a tool works to use it.

It's not that I'm incapable of successfully installing it. The feeling of retardation to which I am referring is due to the realization
>The point is to have an optimized system. I'm just following a guide and don't know what the fuck I'm doing, so even if it works, I doubt this is true optimization. It'll take a long time for me to be able to configure my kernel without following a guide

that is just difference in the philosophy of
each project

Arch favors simplicity
Gentoo favors efficiency

you can install also Gentoo without knowing or learning shit [wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist] and you can install Arch while customizing everything

>install also
*also install
I'm fucking illiterate.

Hasn't happened yet.

Understanding error correcting codes (farther than just 2 bits of error).

im not sure what you think "normalfag" means and i dont really know either, but in my experience the most unimaginative students usually get the highest distinctions, girls especially. girls, or really anyone that reads and stares at their notes (straight from wikipedia) in a whispering monotone for 10 - 20 minutes after the time limit during presentations will get A+++++. People that use a lot of words that aren't even theirs are cool and normal. I know because i've gotten to their marks and I have dozens of their USB sticks, ok? people who use "go getter" and "team player" in their resume can jobs anywhere without so much as even talking to a manager or making a phonecall, because theyve got facebook connections or something like that. What I'm saying is, and I dont know how you feel about it; that you should probably go back to India if you've got your degree, because you're wasting your effort on us. We deserve to die. If you work on a project in India you'll be getting more done probably, there will be less bullshit.

Just what I think.

why did you assume otherwise in the first place?

>fizz
>buzz

bump

Last few day's I have been feeling really retarded because I'm having so much difficulty programming something to do some simple analysis on a time series of data. Like I'm even struggling with dealing with the changes in time zones and daylight savings time.

Doing M.Sc in Computer Science. I tried taking a physics class in information field theory.

Made me want to quit and become a janitor or something similar.

> on chapter 3
> no CS degree

shit's easy compared to the art of computer programming

>What was the moment like when you realized that you were retarded

Wayyy too many moments
>Can't do calc 2
>can't do Physics2+calc2
>Can't make a 3d raycaster, even with raycaster open source code to mimic and look at

why do i even try

>What was the moment like when you realized that you were retarded, Sup Forums?

When I was told that my little brother was getting tech related job offers while I'm still a NEET at 28. He does seem to only have a fraction of the knowledge I have yet he's about 100x more extroverted which seems to count a lot more in the real world.

>He does seem to only have a fraction of the knowledge I have
Like what? Seems like he's actually doing something while you're reading useless junk just to shitpost on Sup Forums that you know it without ever using anything seriously.

I wonder if when he was teaching that class if he actually gave them problems like the exam problems and how many could actually do it.

He's doing something web related with Ruby on Rails. I'm trying to make my own video game from scratch with C++. Just fuck my shit up senpai.

don't be a shitty programmer who wants to make a game...

Αre you into computer graphics ? I'm trying to get into graphics programming and I feel I'm all over the place. I even want my thesis to be a small 3D engine in opengl , that will feature a simple scene with a character etc. If only I had a mentor...I feel lost and I miss things in math,c++ programming AND software engineering and design cause I clearly got no clue how to reach my end goal of little "game" thing.

Do you do well with the questions he gives at the end of each chapter? The material itself seems straightforward, but then I get to the questions and feel like an idiot.

You should be able to mostly do the warm ups.

The homework problems are supposed to occupy you for a week.

The exam problems often have shit from later chapters on them. So they aren't really fair. They should be as hard as homework problems when you come back to them from a later chapter.

When I started trying to learn template metaprogramming in C++.

You probably learned all the math you needed for this in high school (just some basic trig).

I'm not 'really' into comp graphics, but I wanted to learn how to do it myself because I thought it'd be an interesting thing to get into

I've been trying to learn it via gba3d.wordpress.com/
but this shit is so confusing.