/pcbg/ - PC Building General

post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/ - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX400/500s)
>1070 - if on sale/can't afford 1080
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/n7DKD8
ark.intel.com/Search/FeatureFilter?productType=processors
pcpartpicker.com/list/hcfCWX
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/B2hf7P
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/vYnzyc
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/h3qt6h
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/7C3P6h
youtu.be/7ebtf66fL4A
pcpartpicker.com/list/9L79d6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Haha

At exactly the same price, which mobo is better?
ASUS B350-F Gaming Strix or
MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
The anus one is slightly more appealing to me, but then it has no PS/2 while the msi has one combo port
does ps/2 even matter today?

oh wow

just post the sauce already

olol
>b-b-but Skylake-X will suck at gaming

just wait for threadripper

top jej
>b-b-but muh Ryzen meme "efficiency"
You can always count on the AMDrone to say "just Wait (TM)"

Like just wait for Vega?

top kek
>can hit 4.7GHz on any core
>matches Kaby Lake in single-threaded performance
>b-b-but muh paste
AMDrones BTFO once again

Like just wait for Ryzen

>4.7GHz on ALL cores at 1.25V
Threadripper?
More like Deadshitter

>1500$ CPU winning against 400$ CPU
and?

are you quite done? Still waiting on your sources.
BTW, how's that new Intel game, "Cash Grab"?

>Performs only 54% more than stock R7 1700 yet is 330% of it's price and requires a cooler on top of that
Nice prices intel, can't wait for threadripper

What is a good motherboard for use with 7700k and Nvidia 1070?

It's $999, retard

Yeah. They even bundle it with free game called "Delid This™ 2: Toothpaste Strikes Back".
Very good deal, yeah.

gasoline and a match. Might as well beat the components to the punch

Somebody update that CPU recommendation list and include the Core i9s for total world domination
They taking over
You don't even need to delid to hit 4.7GHz.
1.25V nigga

Does anyone have any idea what this could be for? Its coming from the front end cables of my Spec Alpha and its the last thing to plug in (also are case fan connectors supposed to be this loose?

Stop shilling your i9 when it's not even out, it didn't take anything overr

That's clearly a SATA power connector, it could be for a fan controller or LED power
Buy a Core i9, nigger

Was thinking of getting a 1080ti but now leaning more towards a 1070 since I only need/can go up to 60fps with this monitor + I've read some shit about a 1080ti being bottlenecked by the CPU (don't really get what that means).

I play GTA:O, PUBG, FO4, games like that etc. but will probably end up playing a bunch of other games too.

Currently I can get most settings on high for most games but would like to push to ultra.

1070 the way to go? Not gonna wait for Volta since I want better performance now, plus I could always sell and upgrade later anyway.

At 1080p, the 1080ti goes so fast that the CPU can't catch up. That is a bottleneck. Go look up benchmarks. You don't need a 1080ti to play GTA, PUBG, FO4. 1070 will do just fine. 1060 even if you lower some settings.

He's got a 1440p monitor though.

I'd go with a 1080 (non Ti) for 1440p ultra if it were me, especially if you already feel crunched by the 970. user above is correct that you may be CPU bottlenecked in some games causing intermittent FPS drops as your system chugs. You could pop in a 4770 or 4790 some day to alleviate this.

>not even optimized for Skylake-X yet
Nice cherrypicking. I didn't even have to cherrypock my charts because 90% of them were positive towards the 7900X.
AMDRONE
BTFO

still waiting on that source faggot.
Just replying with "google" is a copout that invalidates everything you say.

Building a little ITX Home server with an i3 probably (specifically looking for mobos that have m.2 and a processor with AVX2)

Have ISP's been known to block incoming port 22 traffic or should I just host my ssh on another random port?
I have AT&T Uverse

Been looking at the H170M and H110M mobos

The fact that the 7900X MSRP is $700 less than the 6950X is proof enough that intel is the only one getting blown the fuck out with these chips.

help a newfag out (make the build cheaper and suggest better parts if you can)
>Ryzen 5 1500x
>Sapphire 480 Nitro 8gb
>MSI B350 Mortar
>Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR4 8gb (8x1)
>WD SSD 120 gb (idk which model)
>Corsair CS550M PSU
I might get the Thermaltake Core V1 case and buy a 1TB WD HDD after I build this (for current-gen gaming)

I'd reccomend collecting all your parts into PCPartPicker so it's easy for everyone to analyze the price of them and such

pcpartpicker.com/list/

I'm in the market for a new cpu. The i7 7700k is on sale right now but there seems to be problems ocing them. What do I buy and when. Not getting ryzen. I don't do knock off brands.

Ryzen

>Not getting ryzen
Why?
>I don't do knock off brands.
What?

Leave this thread if you're not here to listen to our advices. You're not the only one to say something retarded, say "trust me i know this better than you", and ask for help in the process. It's very stupid to think you know better than us while asking us help at the same time.

Stop with this AMD/Intel bait shit. You're all just trying to start another fucking meme argument and everyone knows it

Intel's only worthwhile CPU right now are the 7700k (in some cases) and the g4560 (in case of budget builds), so i guess you'll have to settle for a g4560

>Temperatures were definitely a concern with Cinebench and Terragen pushing 100°C with our 240mm AIO liquid cooler. As a result, while stable and potentially tameable under custom water-cooling, we decided to go for 4.6GHz for benchmarking
As expected, the 7700k thermal problems now on HEDT CPUs. Sasuga intel.

Ryzen is shit and you need to kill yourself or leave if you think it's better than Intel for one second. It's a good budget cpu and that's it

Nobody needs 100 cores

>Nobody needs 100 cores
He says just as the 10 core $100 7900x just got it's first benchmarks released
Please leave this thread.

>$100
$1000

I'm not talking about X series you queer

i like ice cream

I'm in the market for a new 1440p monitor in the 600 euro range. I mainly use my PC for programming and watching 16:9 content.
So I've come across the following monitors: Iiyama ProLite XUB3490WQSU-B1 and Iiyama ProLite XUB3490.
What do you guys think on using a 21:9 monitor for programming? What about the monitors?

Can somebody rec me a good parts list and setup for buttcoin mining? Turning over a huge profit isn't even a big priority for me, I just think it would be a fun project and if it makes me money than even better. Its not really something I would even build now since gpu prices are so inflated, so don't worry about budget.

pcpartpicker.com/list/n7DKD8
Unfortunately, I don't know if the WD SSD is a 2.5 or a M.2. Also, please recommend a case for this build preferably by Thermaltake or CoolerMaster. Any help is appreciated

>Buttcoin
Nope. Go mine Etherium

Cheapest PC I could build that supports GPU passthrough?

I want to upgrade my i7 920 finally, but I'd love my new PC to do GPU passthrough.

Wondering if it's worth buying second hand parts to test it out, before I jump in to an expensive rig though?

thoughts?

Just needs vt-d i/o visualization
ark.intel.com/Search/FeatureFilter?productType=processors

What it will be used for ?
noone can tell if pc is good if you won't tell him what it will be used for
:P

hopefully bannerlord
until then nothing

>Pentium
KYS
get more memed

pcpartpicker.com/list/hcfCWX
PURPOSE: Gaming
BUDGET: 3K
Am I spending too much on some parts ? Can I make something equally as good for less ? Any general tips and info will help alot. Im just aiming to make it future proof.

If you're buying relatively soon (next 2 months is my semi-educated guess), not only will any RX cards be expensive, but almost impossible to get. You could opt for a GTX 1050Ti. Won't match 470 performance though.
Comes down to whether or not you wanna wait, want to use 1050Ti as a holdover card and sell it later, etc.

>hopefully bannerlord
m8

I need non nvidia for kvm hypervisor
but yeah I plan to wait, 500 bucks is a lot of money to spend
I'll probably go ahead with everything but the gpu and keep tabs on ebay for my gpu
I have a psu already
soon (TM)

Get a PNY ssd instead, and with only 120 gb you won't have much space left over. Might as well get an HDD now for storage or a bigger ssd.
Good luck finding that gpu, either get ready to wait or grab a 1060 6gb.

As far as cases go, just get whatever size you want and the look that appeals to you.

I'm upgrading my FX6300/RX 270x build to a Ryzen 1600/GTX 1060 6GB build. Shit is gonna be fucking cash.
HOWEVER, the situation with RAM and Ryzen mobos confuses me a little. I get that Ryzen's "Infinity Fabric" avails itself of faster ram to actually intra-communicate faster, and for that I want some high-speed ram. But I've also read that most boards and the CPUs only officially support 2400MHz speeds, and everything over that is overclocking. I wanna get 2666MHz or 3000MHz RAM for the build, but am I gonna get rekt with lack of support or something?

>AMD + Nvidia
Nigga, what the fuck are you doing? Especially with 1060. Get 580 for fuck's sake.

Are gpu prices inflated right now? I'm thinking of building a PC for my nephew but if the market is bloated maybe I should wait.

1800x is a very cost inefficient CPU when you can get a 1700x or even a 1700 and overclock it to reach almost identical performances
D15 is good but very pricy, you don't need such a beefy cooler for overclocking. If you want you can settle down for a $60 or even $40 cooler and you'll do just as well overclocking, though the thermals will be worse but not bad by any mean.
Why the crosshair VI hero?
Why an M.2 NVME SSD, do you do any productivity stuff?

>Get 580 for fuck's sake.
Implying it's in stock anywhere and user can get it.

eth and buttcoin mining is popular again

The market is permafucked until the next generation of cards comes out. Way too much demand for the current measly supply.

apparently also needs motherboard support and gpu support!

If I'm being honest most of these parts I found on that logical increments website. Should I switch out the MB or SSD ? I dont do any productivity stuff.

I mean if you can point me to one I'd be happy to.
Until then, what specifically is gonna happen? I've seen people say this but the only explanation I've seen is fanboyism being offended ("what do you MEAN you support both companies based on which provides the best product for your situation!?")

i just got a gtx 1080 ti, and tested a few games in 4k. all is well except something was making hell of noise, and it wasn't the gpu, it was actually completely quiet. it was my cpu fan, which is a noctua 14cm, set to silent. the cpu reaches 75c and the fan is ridiculously loud. it's a 6700k. is this just normal and i am supposed to live with this noise or did i mess up with the thermal paste possibly? and aren't noctua cpu fans supposed to be pretty quiet even at high rpm? my case has three fans, two in and one out and they are set to low rpm so they weren't making the noise, and airflow should not be an issue, and room temp is 20~

I'm running a 1600 and 1060 right now, it's fine.

Where the fuck did you find an rx470?

literally most motherboards support this now-a-days

anybody have an aida 64 extreme key they're willing to share

Gtx 1070 Armor OC and i5 6600k is my plan for upgrading, I got the 1070 on sale so I'm just wondering if the i5 6600k is a good idea.

>Armor

What's the price of the 6600k you wanna get?
Unless it's at $140, it's not really worth it.

logicalincrements has completely gone to shit over the past year. Don't use it.

My current one should, but fucking ASUS fucked the BIOS up. ASUS P6T is mine, but same goes for so many others

My recommended part lists at different price points. Want to do better CPU overclocking? Invest in an aftermarket cooler and X370 motherboard.

$480 - Play ANY 2017 title @ 1080p50 medium settings
>Pentium G4560
>8GB (4x2) DDR4-2400
>250GB SSD
>Geforce GTX 1050 Ti

$820 - Play ANY 2017 title @ 1080p60 high settings
>Ryzen 5 1400
>8GB (4x2) DDR4-3200
>512GB SSD
>Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

$1,000 - Play ANY 2017 title @ 1440p60 medium settings
>Ryzen 5 1500X
>8GB (4x2) DDR4-3200
>512GB SSD
>Geforce GTX 1070

$1,390 - Play ANY 2017 title @ 2160p45 low settings
>Ryzen 5 1600
>16GB (8x2) DDR4-3200
>512GB SSD
>Geforce GTX 1080 TI

Can't afford an SSD or need mass storage? Hitachi.

Yeah, get a much cheaper mobo like an msi b350 pc mate, asus prime b350 plus, or such
and don't get an NVME ssd

I noticed its not the strongest of the 1070s but anythings gonna be amazing compared to my old GT640.

Probably going to wait until a sale of 200 or under, but I've been waiting a long time to upgrade.what would you suggest instead for my Z270 mobo?

I suggest you don't get a 6600k and go for an R5 1600 + B350 motherboard instead as it is both cheaper and performs better

Get 2 sticks of 2400 RAM.
You are heavily gimping the already weak CPU, which will already bottleneck the RX470, with 1 stick of 2133. That's like a 20% perf difference in some cases and is worth spending the few bucks more for.

My recommended part lists at different price points. Want to do better CPU overclocking? Invest in an aftermarket cooler and X370 motherboard.

$480 - Play ANY 2017 title @ 1080p50 medium settings
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/B2hf7P
>Pentium G4560
>8GB (4x2) DDR4-2400
>250GB SSD
>Geforce GTX 1050 Ti

$820 - Play ANY 2017 title @ 1080p60 high settings
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/vYnzyc
>Ryzen 5 1400
>8GB (4x2) DDR4-3200
>512GB SSD
>Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

$1,000 - Play ANY 2017 title @ 1440p60 medium settings
pcpartpicker.com/user/horsejumper/saved/h3qt6h
>Ryzen 5 1500X
>8GB (4x2) DDR4-3200
>512GB SSD
>Geforce GTX 1070

$1,390 - Play ANY 2017 title @ 2160p45 low settings
>Ryzen 5 1600
>16GB (8x2) DDR4-3200
>512GB SSD
>Geforce GTX 1080 TI

Can't afford an SSD or need mass storage? Hitachi.

Forgive me for the stupid question, but how are you able to connect an HDMI cable to a video card that has an HDMI port and have the wire through the case?

>Can't afford an SSD or need mass storage? Hitachi.
or any other HDD brand since they have about the same reliability.
Hard mode: no Backblaze links/charts

if you have $1400 to use on a computer, why even save at that point? just get a proper cpu and ssd, it will still be below $2000
then play any title at maxed 4k 60 fps

4c/4t will heavily bottleneck anything more powerful than a 1060/RX580 in newer games.
Heck, even in some older ones it'll still bottleneck them, like Metro Last Light and shit.

You have to be tarded to buy a $400 GPU with a 6600k unless all you play is Arma3.
1500X might perform a bit worse in older games, but it's better when it matters. 15 less FPS average in CSGO is meaningless compared to making sure you stay above 60-90fps minimum in newer games.

Not sure I'd buy an Nvidia card with a 6 core since their driver is still fucked up.
Would wait for Vega if you want to spend over $1100 on a PC.

Why recommend R5 1400 when it's way slower than R5 1500X which costs only 17$ more?
512GB SSD is nice but in >1000$ builds you should focus on CPU/GPU more. 250GB is enough for most users.

is it even worth it to spring for a AM4 r5 when the LGA-4094 socket is right around the corner?

Bump

???
R5 is either 4/8 or 6/12. LGA-4094 socket is meant for Threadripper CPUs, so unless you need min. 10/20 it's not meant for you.

>lga 4094
What?

>Not sure I'd buy an Nvidia card with a 6 core since their driver is still fucked up.

no. it was never anything to do with nvidia. a ryzen specific patch for rottr fixed it on nvidia gpu without any driver.

youtu.be/7ebtf66fL4A

pcpartpicker.com/list/9L79d6

My gaymin/streaming build so far
Been years since I looked at pc parts, but I think I've got something that'll last for a while.

Any suggestions for changes? Thinking maybe switching out the WD for something else since I heard iffy things about them, and still not sure if the cpu cooler is overkill.
Also the video card'll probably come later.

anybody has any clues?

So how do you figure out the exact minimum PSU wattage for a build?

You most likely seated the CPU cooler wrong, it shouldn't reach 75c during gaming
Replace thermal paste and make sure you put the cooler properly

If you'd like a completely different part selection for a little less; I'd suggest

Going to stream and play extremely well, throw in a Hitachi HDD for your streaming footage. Use the selected SDD for everything else.

If you want to do high overclocks, I'd go with an aftermarket cooler and X370 motherboard, if you only want to do minimal overclocking; the B350 and stock cpu cooler are fine.