vocaroo.com/i/s0AEVtbHTYNc
youtube.com/watch?v=gvKPter9ftE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

focus on other things

rolling rs not so important if you can't get the grammar right

better be the foreigner than the idiot

>I cant pronounce a fundamental part of the language
Sorry senpai. Its over for you

It's one of those things that you have to learn as a little kid, it's not the same trying to do it grown up.

I know I'm considering switching to French it's so frustrating

Learn Portuguese instead. BRs don't roll their Rs.

French's R is even harder to make for most people, and overall French is just harder in general.

press your tongue just above your teeth, push air until you get it to slap around like you're making a fart sound
then, learn to do it more subtely with each vowel and consonant. its a bit different each time

rubbish, lots of people learn to trill later and there are a plethora of guides and videos on how to do so

french r is just the sandnigger h

Absolutely false. This is what people trick themselves into believing in order to justify giving up.

No. It is a voiced uvular fricative.

Here is the thing:
French's phonology is significantly harder than Spanish; it has many new vowels you will have to learn how to make (many of which may sound identical to you, and will require a long time to differentiate), its own share of new consonants you will have to learn, and also the spelling is an awful indication of how the word is pronounced.

Overall, if pronunciation is enough to make one give up out of frustration, you will give up even faster with French.

Just learn whichever language you are more interested in, because they both have their share of obstacles that you must overcome.

Thanks for pointing out the proper term. Turns out that it is in fact the sandnigger r that is the exact same as the french r
Also french pronunciation is babby tier, try anything that inherits from sanskrit

Work on your tongue more.

We do, just not as much.

Use as much air as you would pronouncing the sound 'F'.
Don't press your tongue too hard on the top-front of your mouth, try to imagine flicking it up into the continuous air stream, like a flag almost. Also make sure the sides of your tongue are touching the top side of your top teeth.
You'll also need to practice it if you want it to sound good/achieve the sound. Sounds a bit ridiculous, I know, but practice it when you're by yourself e.g house, car, shower.

I'm learning BR portuguese, it's actually easier than spanish, well for me.

Try and imitate a frog ribbeting

You use French R don't you?

Guttural R is a lazy R.

What do you mean by this ?

He's wrong, standard Arabic uses Spanish r.

this

What does he mean by this

Been trying to it for a while and I can't do it. Doesn't help I had a speech impediment growing up, still makes saying "r" difficult.

Let me upload a vocaroo OP.

ر

I mean you're an Arab and should know this.

vocaroo.com/i/s1LVc4WrzOwd

here it's explained to OP.

>helo mister burger
top kek
good shit my colombian friend

Oh ok

Err...you maori.

>this is how Congolombian posters sound like

so much vigor

youtube.com/watch?v=tkc_uGZvEGM

>No. It is a voiced uvular fricative.
bless u

"Ribbet": vocaroo.com/i/s0IFa8EWcJsK
"Arse": vocaroo.com/i/s1x0ViHpQrlJ
Do this for practice: vocaroo.com/i/s04w3cTuU2ph

I learned by saying 'butter' in an American accent again and again really quickly.
The 'tt' sound in the middle (which Americans pronounce more like 'budder') is the singular Spanish 'r' sound, and the rolled r is that sound repeated very quickly.

The tongue is in a different position though.

just don't give a shit

fuck spanish

learn german or latin

>learn german or latin
Latin has the same r as Spanish. German has either guttural r or Spanish r.

>Flapping or tapping, also known as alveolar flapping or intervocalic flapping, is a phonological process found in many dialects of English, especially North American English, Australian English and New Zealand English, by which the consonants /t/ and /d/ may be pronounced as a flap (tap) in certain positions, particularly between vowels (intervocalic position). In some cases, the effect is perceived by some listeners as the replacement of a /t/ sound with a /d/ sound; for example, the word butter pronounced with flapping may be heard as "budder".[1] In fact, both /t/ and /d/ are replaced in such positions by an alveolar flap (or tap; IPA symbol [ɾ]), a sound produced by briefly tapping the alveolar ridge with the tongue.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapping

No.
It is in the exact same place.

t. linguist

>mfw figured it out at the age of 5 when mimicking my mom's friend who could roll her R's

It's practically second nature.

>mfw I grow up in a region of France who sometimes rolls their R

The downside is that I roll them in English also

Where? I was told that practically nowhere still rolls them in France.

Also, how is the rolled R viewed in France? As a rural peasant feature, or something exotic?

How the fuck can you not roll an R? Are you reta- oh American, alright.

Burgundy

It's something you use to sound silly, only old people and drunkards do it

Nice. I know how to make that trilled alveolar R, but I am still working on the voiced uvular fricative that is used in Standard French. In my opinion, the trilled R is much easier to learn and use, so it is a shame that Standard French does not use it anymore.

in English there are no rolling r's, only silent r

Also about rolled r, it's still in usage for singers because it's used to project more power, Édith Piaf and Barbara tended to use it a lot

Of all three types of "r" I know (rolled, guttural and the Spanish "j", German "ch" or Russian "x") I think rolled r is more pleasant sounding but can sound annoying if used to frequently.

I agree. When you say guttural, do you mean the Standard French one? And which language uses the German 'ch'/Spansh 'j' for R?

lmao retard cant roll r what a stupid burger lmao

>Ribbit
Dear god New Zealand.

Yes by guttural I meant standard French.

"Third" r is used frequently in German (doch, achtung...) and in Russian where it's associated with the letter "x" next to a stressed vowel if I understood correctly. X next to an atone vowel is an "h" like in "home".

>German "ch"
>Russian "x"
Not an R

Every time I see this face I have compulsions of murder

I see, thanks. Another interesting thing is that the R from Standard French has actually begun to replace the trilled R in Breton. Most Breton speakers today use the French guttural R. Actually, for that matter, the guttural R from French has spread throughout much of Europe, like in German, Danish, European Portuguese, etc. From what I understand, this spread occurred because of the prestige that the French R held, as French was associated with wealth and the aristocracy.

Not an argument

it's sorta like blowing raspberries. Press your tongue against the roof of your mouth like when pronouncing the r in ram, then sorta mess around blowing air until your tongue flaps or vibrates back and fort.

Ignore the part about ram, it doesn't work. This is actually a lot harder to teach than I thought it would be.

*not an argument

Also because the french r is easier to say

Alright look at me, I'm the linguist now.
To roll the r you simply need to become aware of your tongue, lift it so that the area right behind the tip of your tongue is touching the top part of your mouth cavity, right behind the teeth, where its still wrinkly, before it "dips" upwards, then blow a bit of air, not too much, through your tongue but keep applying moderate pressure on your tongue's position so that it flaps rapidly, that's how you roll the Rs.

No it isn't

Seriously though, German "ch" is a voiceless palatal fricative while Russian "x" is a voiceless velar fricative. Neither are actually rhotic consonants.

el colombiANO

I can't do that neither and everyone thinks i'm silly everytime i try to do it

>americoons
>failing at the simplest tasks

I figured it out early in highschool during Italian

>tfw can roll my R naturally
vocaroo.com/i/s125hk5d6uSA

You sound like a goblin

The eternal finish

You were funny and that's all that matters
Go on and do more vocarro

Uh, i'm not the one that did the vocaroo, i can't do that sound

What is a rolling r?

The non-retarded (non-American) version of r.

Guttural R > English R >>> Rolled R

I suppose I can do those easily. The soft r's of other languages are weird and difficult. I hate to pronounce words like "throw, through, three".

>Guttural R
Literally a form of speech impediment
>English R
More like Down's R.
>Rolled R
The only correct answer.

>vocaroo.com/i/s0AEVtbHTYNc
:3c

youtube.com/watch?v=gvKPter9ftE

classic spanish banter

rolled R's it's what differenciate real men from faggots

>muh irrelevant troll language
top accents from around the world in terms of scoring mass pussy are all anglo. english r is the most elegant and fluid of any r

LETS SEE FUCKING PIECE OF SHIET IN ANY CASE CALL IT OLIVE LANGUAGE AND YOU CAN MAKE THE FUCKING R IF YOU PUT YOUR TONGUE ON YOUR PALATE. GO FOR IT.

irrelevant>sounding like a retard

>if a language gets me laid it's the best brah

Why are you this whipped?

In Dutch it's dialectal.

I couldn't roll my R's for a long time, and even didn't realize some Dutch people did. I assumed it was just Turkish and Moroccan immigrants, but apparently I live in one of the exceptions where we use just the throat R (Limbourg, North Brabant, parts of Zealand, Brussels and the Hanseatic cities of Overijssel, )

I literally considered myself disabled when I couldn't. Thank god I can now.

GOAT explicación mi amigo boludo.

ahahahahhahahaha you stupid bitch

Yes, it is. If you actually spoke a language where those r's where relevant you would know this.