Distrib war

Been using linux for years (debian) time to get technical. What ""advanced"" and minimal linux distrib should I install?

Knowing that...

>I don't give a fuck about having package manager with a cutting edge versions, slow update debian/ubuntu style is fine
>I'd like to try something different from apt

Here the options I have considered...

>Arch
+wiki
+not apt
+Aur
-Shitty community
-Cutting edge packets
-always broken
-systemd

>Gentoo
+not apt
+dank memes
-Cutting edge
-systemd
-I don't have time to compile shit

>slackware
+NOT(!!) systemd
+no shitty community
-no community at all

>crunchbang
+Not cutting edge packet that always break everything
-That's just debian, that's not how I'm going to learn more stuff...
-Does that shit even exist anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
bunsenlabs.org/
slakfinder.org/slackpkg .html
slackonly.com/
sbopkg.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gentoo has systemd free use profiles.

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (packages) not found in the grimoire (repository) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Fedora, unironically

>>Arch
>+wiki
>+not apt
>+Aur
>-Shitty community
>-Cutting edge packets
>-always broken
>-systemd
broken packages are a meme, use ArchBang

following up on this, arch's userbase is bad but the community is actually really wholesome with the Arch Forums and Wiki having fixes for common bugs.

+no shitty community
-no community at all

Then....?

I like Manjaro because it smoothes over the worst of Arch's problems while maintaining most of the advantages, like the AUR. It uses separate repos that hold back some of the more buggy bleeding-edge packages 'til they're ready.

From there, it's more about choosing a WM or DE you want to use.

I recommend Void or Bunsenlabs

actually there is a bit of a slackware community
##slackware on Freenode
and theres a mailing list

Gentoo doesn't use systemd by default. You have to explicity use it. By default it uses OpenRC.

You can also use a useflag to prevent programs compiling in systemd support.

I am advanced GNU + Linux user. And I can confirm that.
Source Mage is all I ever wanted.

>Crunchbang
>-Does that shit even exist anymore?

Check out Bunsen Labs if you're interested in CB:bunsenlabs.org/

"The project is a community continuation of CrunchBang Linux."

Void Linux if you don't want to be a systemd cuck.

Arch of you want to easily install any program and are a systemd cuck

Fedora if you're an adult

>Arch
nice for a while, but when an update breaks your system in a critical moment you're going to be crying.

>Gentoo
The only "downside" is compiling packages from source, if you have a relatively decent machine however, this is no issue.
Also, Gentoo by default does not have systemd.
Last thing here, the community is incredibly helpful, your initial install will take some times and you might need some handholding if you are not well-versed in *nix architecture and concepts.

>slackware
I wished it didn't have a shitty package manager.
And you are right about the community.

>crunchbang
Avoid.

Also, since why not, here's a few other ones.

>Manjaro
Arch without the bleeding edge and autism inducing installation procedure, but you won't learn shit.

>Antergos
Basically just a rebranded arch with an installer, pretty meh.

>Devuan/Trisquel for the rms meme
Outdated packages and doesn't have proprietary WiFi drivers, avoid.

All in all, install gentoo, I did and it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Someone wrote an extension to slackpkg called slackpkg+ which will handle multiple repositories (installation, updating, etc) the exact same way as the official repo. slakfinder.org/slackpkg .html

I suggest using the SlackOnly repo with the official repos if you are using slackpkg+: slackonly.com/
Essentially SlackOnly is precompiled and prepackaged versions of software on SlackBuilds.org (like Slackwares version of AUR).

Alternatively, if you rather build software from SlackBuilds.org yourself, sbopkg is a great tool:
sbopkg.org/
sbopkg will sync all of the SlackBuilds, keep them updated, etc. Really nice.

I don't doubt that slackware is better now than it used to be.

I just found the only distro I need, and went from aggressive distro-hopping to running the same install for almost 4 years now.

gentoo is the way, Sup Forums was right.

I'm not trying to convert you or anything, I'm not a zealot for any distro. I just wanted to make sure that if anyone in this thread is basing their decision off of this thread, they know what they should know.

And you are right about that friend.

I liked slackware, mostly because I felt like I needed to get something that's comfy but feels "advanced" enough to satisfy my autism I guess.

Good on you for shedding light on the current status of the distro tho, kudos.

Not sure why you are considering slack at all.
If you haven't noticed, slack hasn't seen a new release since last year.
Slack is dead.
Just use arch - systemd if that is a real issue for you. Just
pacaur -Syu openrc openrc-sysvinit openrc-arch-services-git && \
pacaur -Rdd systemd libsystemd
Not that hard.

Are you fucking retarded?
Slow release cycles doesn't mean dead.
The time between 14.1 and 14.2 was like two years. Not dead.
Packages in the official repo are receiving updates. Not dead.
Slackware isn't bound by a release schedule like Debian. A release comes out when there is a reason for one to come out. And so far, there hasn't been a reason to release a new one since last year.
Alternatively, you can follow Slackwares -current branch. Every release is forked from -current.

>no tinycore
>not running rice on RAM

i went slackware

mainly because i am a card carrying reverent of the church of the subgenius

praise bob ! (kek's earlier form)

Drebian isn't boundby a release schedule.

>gentoo
>systemd
>cutting edge
???

>Arch
>-always broken

no

Guix or nixos

>-always broken
meme
>shitty community
what do you care? just use it

>Gentoo
>-Cutting edge
Gentoo has a concept of package stabilization
>-systemd
Gentoo has systemd-free profiles
>-I don't have time to compile shit
You don't actually do this by hand and compile times are relatively small on modern hardware

I don't think you've done your research before posting

>gentoo and systemd

yeah i'd be on edge and cutting my wrists too

Devuan & Gentoo are great, if you want to try Arch just use Antergos. The only thing you will gain from installing Arch is a brief learning in how to use Nano/Vim.

Why do you fucks install system dicks on a Gentoo machine?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Alpine Linux

+Minimal
+No systemd
+Not apt
+Don't have to compile shit
-small community
-smaller repositories

OP here.

I thought that Alpine was for server. Is it really usable as a desktop ?

Any void users? How is it.. looks like the perfect Linux but there is just no documentation or info on it.. ( current arch user)

For desktop you have to be sure to enable some of the less stable repositories. I want to say XFCE is the haviest DE available.

The wiki has a guide for setting it up. The only thing I remember having to do much config for was audio.

I ran it for a couple months on a netbook before going back to arch because there were some AUR packages that made my life easier.

Be aware that it uses BusyBox, so some of the command line tools are slimmed down and have different options.

>Be aware that it uses BusyBox, so some of the command line tools are slimmed down and have different options.

Yeah, I use it for docker images, I just can't picture it as a desktop OS.

>-Cutting edge packets
How is that a negative?
>-always broken
LE ebin meme xD

Use fedora WS with i3.

>Arch
>always broken
Learn to use it instead of saying it doesn't work.

I'm used to debian and updating my system like once a week.

Updating everyday and waiting on IRC for a solution to a clipboard bug in firefox is not my jam.

I have no idea what the fuck are you talking about.

Hello, retired NSA agent. Has your son got that promotion yet? Tell Peggy I said hi. And oh boy, that Trump character is something else

Will you post one of your retro computers, or one of those elaborate and neat QBASIC programs you wrote?

TALK TO YOU LATER

unironically install a bsd on your facebook machine

I don't know much about this bug, it's just a friend of mine that told me he spend the day on arch's irc to fix it.

It wasn't possible to copy or paste anything in firefox, but maybe it was a GTK bug or something else...

I'm not against rolling release, but with at least some delay so that I don't install un-tested packages.

Does fedora include SElinux by default? That's something I'd like to try.

Install Gentoo.