Imposter Syndrome

Do you Sup Forumsuys suffer from Imposter Syndrome?

Other urls found in this thread:

sharecare.com/health/schizophrenia/people-schizophrenia-know-are-sick
academia.stackexchange.com/questions/11765/ive-somehow-convinced-everyone-that-im-actually-good-at-this-how-to-effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Everytime I feel the signs of imposter syndrome building up I just talk to a normie for 5 minutes and instantly feel better about myself

I wish it was just imposter syndrome. I am incompetent and I know it.

don't you have to be good tho?

I'm so-so at software development, but I'm moving into management so it doesn't matter much.

Nope. I'm usually the most competent person in a room filled with my colleagues.

The chart doesn't really make sense...anyone can explain? specifically why is the imposter syndrome BETWEEN or a BLEND of these two things?

Is it being good at something, but underneath your self-assured confidence you really don't feel it's worth a shit...?**

**i.e. you impress somebody, but deep down you know it's not THAT impressive, but the thing is...even that puts you farther ahead because self-scrutiny is valuable skill, it's you sucking that gets you practicing....

I have a weird problem where i know i'm competent, yet voice in my head keeps talking shit at me.

No, I am an adult. I know my strengths and weaknesses.

no

Nah, I have so little desire to work that it shields me from Imposter Syndrome.
I'm proud if I do something by barely doing shit.

>yet voice in my head keeps talking shit at me
I hate him so much. He's the reason why I can't enjoy cute disabled girl hentai anymore, because he just screams YOU MADE HER LIKE THIS SO SHE CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU.
Fucking cunt.

"Imposter syndrome" is just another label of millennials..

The more you know, the more you understand what you NOT know. There are basically 4 stages of knowledge:
a) not knowing and not being aware of ("programming is easy")
b) not knowing and being aware of ("oh shit, there is so much to know")
c) knowing and being aware of ("not bad, I can do FizzBuzz in 3 langauges!")
d) knowing and not being aware of ("I've programmed a lot of things, I can't even remember how much")

Impostor syndrome actually only applies to the last group of people: programmers that are really really good but always feel unsatisfied with their skills.

But most of the time it's people of the second group that claim to have "imposter syndrome": people that just realized they only know a tiny part of what there is to know.

You have to realize this:
You don't have impostor syndrome, you just realized that you suck. And that's great, it's part of the process. Even Linus Torvalds probably had a moment when he realized: "Well yeah, I'm pretty bad."

You have to accepts that you suck and then get better. Every day you suck a little less. And after decades you might feel that you are an OK-ish programmer.

people who have imposter syndrome don't know they have imposter syndrome; that's like a schizophrenic acknowledging they have schizophrenia

>a schizophrenic acknowledging they have schizophrenia
You can pretty easily tell you have schizophrenia

well, nobody would have psychotic episodes if they could call them as such now wouldn't they?

That does not follow.

>You can pretty easily tell you have schizophrenia
yeah is that normal that a big red panda tells you to kill your famili?

I don't know what that chart means, but I do know that I am the only real person. You robots can't fool me

sharecare.com/health/schizophrenia/people-schizophrenia-know-are-sick
>they truly believe in their delusions

by virtue of being schizophrenic, they cannot know they are schizophrenic. likewise, by virtue of having imposter syndrome, you cannot know you have imposter syndrome; that would be contradictory.

not that guy but you might be taking a different meaning to "imposter syndrome"....so I ask, what symptoms would the person afflicted with imposter syndrome exhibit if not for knowing they had it?

>schizophrenic people are constantly undergoing psychotic episodes

You can't have impostor syndrome if you're actually a failure.

>having a voice in your head
Consider seeing a psychiatrist.

You can tell perfectly well if you have schizophrenia. You can even recognize the onset of a psychotic episode if you've had a few before.

academia.stackexchange.com/questions/11765/ive-somehow-convinced-everyone-that-im-actually-good-at-this-how-to-effect
imposter syndrome: essentially, not recognizing that you've accrued knowledge that qualifies you for a position
knowing you have imposter syndrome: recognizing that you aren't recognizing that you've accrued knowledge that qualifies you for a position, i.e. recognizing that you've accrued knowledge that qualifies you for a position

it is not possible to both recognize and fail to recognize something. perhaps the syndrome is only active at certain times. in this way, it does not make a perfect analogy to schizophrenia:

for many schizophrenics, especially those who have not been helped, schizophrenia is not episodic, it is an enduring state. you guys are most likely referring to those who have been helped. even then, there is a big issue with schizophrenics taking their medication, enjoying a higher quality of life, believing that they are now better, stopping their medication, and succumbing to schizophrenia again and refusing help the same way they did initially (because to them, they don't need help).

the point i want to get across is this: many students who aren't feeling well attribute it to imposter syndrome, but due to the reasons mentioned above, this is not likely. instead, it is more likely that they aren't feeling well because
1. they aren't doing well, or
2. they are doing well where they're at, but they've heard they're at a poor place education-wise and students at other institutions are learning more
in each of the above cases, they shouldn't feel well about where they're; claiming "imposter syndrome" just allows them to feel that their mediocre accomplishments corroborate their inflated ego.

That's ego, retard

Nice analysis.

What?

The voice in the head==ego

Well there's no voice in my head who talks to me about being incompetent or fapping to hentai. I thought that was a hallmark of schizophrenia.

I hope you know that talking to you is pretty much always torture for the normie right?

I feel like pretending to have imposter syndrome should be its own disease

Munchausen syndrome

TFW you have dunning kreuger instead

starting to realize

*krueger

I was diagnosed with IS during a government job interview process which included a physiological battery test. Every time someone tries to compliment me for some skill, I deflect the compliment and make up an excuse to demean it's merit.

"Wow, you got your master's in 4 years?"
"well it was at a public university, and the program wasn't that intense."

"I can't believe you remember that obscure mythology fact"
"it's not as obscure as you think. I wouldn't be able to call myself a fan if i didn't know it"

that program you wrote has literally doubled my medical coding efficiency"
"it's just a little script, and the only reason i knew how to write it was because i used to suck at icd10. i wouldn't be passable without it"

Every now and then I can get braggadocious about an accomplishment, but it feels more like I'm acting out a character trying to make people laugh rather than feeling proud about what i've done.

I'm working for $15/hour because I absolutely suck at job interviews, and can't figure out a way to hype myself up enough to not completely self-ridicule myself during face-to-face meetings. But I can't being myself to list it as a disability on the employment forms because then I would spend my entire time at the position hating myself for thinking i only got the job out of pitty.

It goes beyond having low self-esteem, and it sucks. I can hang out with my friends and have fun, no depression. but whenever anyone needs help, i shy away because i don't feel like i'd be able to help them as well as someone else would. i can't drive in a car-pool because i always feel like there's someone else in the car who's a better driver than me, and we would be safer if they took the wheel.

IS locks you into a false mediocrity of your own design. And it's really hard to break away from your own mind and better yourself.

>taking it literally
Autism

i wish redditors would stop spreading useless meme terminology around so casually like that. it's probably some very vague phenomena yet redditors mention it constantly and say YEP THAT's ME RIGHT THERE (100 IQ achieving individual working junior dev position)

Imposter Syndrome is a helluva drug. Obligatory XKCD. [Citation needed] for why this isn't a real phenomena that every retarded noob-level-skilled person goes through