Light laptops

I need a lighter, more efficient laptop. Currently lugging around a Fujitsu Lifebook AH532, I love the thing but it's a fucking brick, and the battery life is like 2 hours now.

My requirements are:
>light
>portable
>good screen
>decent trackpad
>long battery life
>good linux support
>$200-300. Ideally $200, but I'll pay a little more for quality.

I'm currently trying to decide between
>buying a chromebook and putting linux on it
>getting a Thinkpad x220 or x240

Any opinions here?

Other urls found in this thread:

fusion5tablets.com/uk/lapbook/10-6-full-hd-lapbook-with-windows-10-notebook-pc-1920-1080-ips-intel-quad-core-2gb-ram-lightest-laptop-computer.html
rath.org/ssd-caching-under-linux.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Go to Dell's outlet site and get a Latitude E7250 for like $300.

unironically pic related, also if you want a better screen you can upgrade it to a 1080p one

2015 MBP
/thread.

Had one at work and they're fantastic

I'd prefer a linux laptop though. Also, would you really get one for that price?

Recently snagged a 14" HP notebook for 200$ brand new. Surprisingly fast and super light. I live boot a ton of Linux distros so I know it doesn't have some secure boot shit. Only catch is the SSD is only 30gb. Windows takes up 20gb. Still it was a perfect replacement for my last laptop. Loved it

install Linux on MBP

Just saw a Dell inspiron 11 and looks p good. know anything about it?

Shit, don't buy.
Used business class laptops only

Posting from an X220 I bought for $100. Just do it

how?

Honestly Chromebook with linux is the best option. Very cheap, linux runs great despite low end hardware. Never had any issues with batterylife on my Thinkpad 11e Chromebook.
Just take care in your choice, most are ok but I would make sure that the model you pick up has an x86 cpu and upgradable ram/storage as well as being generally sturdy.

jumper ezbook 3 pro

>Sup Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

you can order then via amazon or aliexpress, tutorials are easy to find on youtube. haven't done it myself because i'm okay with the built in screen, but since i've added/switched other parts in my machine it can't be hard.

Just a friendly reminder that X201s has comfy 16:10 1440x900 screen (which is shit anyway because it's ThinkPad).

I love mine desu

x220 is great if you don't mind the abysmal 1366x768 resolution.
With the 9 cell battery, depending on your workload, you can get 8-10 hours of battery life out of it.

>>getting a Thinkpad x220 or x240
get a x230

Aquire an Asus C201 Chromebook
Slap Libreboot on it
Install an FSF-approved distro
????
Profit!!

X1 Carbon is also an option. I'd you get an X240, remember to factor in about 20 bucks to make the trackpad usable.

the MBPs have surprising shitty linux support.

>bought for $100
Huh?
I thought it cost 250$ at minimum.

>x230
Backlit chicklet keyboard

Of the eleven Thinkpads I have, the T440s would most closely meet this requirement. The X230 would would also be a choice. Both are light and have new enough hardware that they are efficient but still powerful enough to be useful.

The X230 can have a classic keyboard swapped if you're brave enough.

I would say go XPS 13, it's fantastic and has an amazing linux compatibility, but I don't think you would find one at 300

It's not even bad. But yes you can replace it with the classic one and x220 palmrest

it has been replaced by the x250, is it better?

Skip the x240 unless you're willing to do the trackpad swap. (Which honestly might be a good decision, I Imagine the shit track pad keeps the prices low.

I have an x220T. If I'm being honest, it's a tad heavy and bulky. It's still an excellent machine, but I like it.

I just got a gpd pocket and love it!

If it's cheap and cheerful you're after OP, I've been using one of these for the past few months with no problems.

fusion5tablets.com/uk/lapbook/10-6-full-hd-lapbook-with-windows-10-notebook-pc-1920-1080-ips-intel-quad-core-2gb-ram-lightest-laptop-computer.html

Wait, you can get the X220 trackpad on an X230?

>2gb Ram

That processor is a joke. A 1080p screen makes it worse!

Not OP, but is there any reason I shouldn't get a 2013 Dell Xps off ebay?

Get an X301 if you don't need graphics performance. It's thinner than the X220, has a 13.3" screen at 1440x900 (much less claustrophobic than a x230 and a better ratio) you can get an ultrabay battery to go with the regular 6 cell for a total battery life of around 7 hours, and it's cheap as chips while still having great build quality.

X220 is pretty good. You have to keep your eye out for deals though. Mine was $120 for i5 2540m, IPS, 4GB DDR3L (1333MHz), biometrics, 320GB 7200RPM drive, 720p/30fps camera/mic (some just have a piece of cardboard in there) and a 9-cell as well as a sheet battery (it was heavily degraded though). Buy the i5 version and not the i7 unless you need USB3.0 (uses much less power), always go for IPS. I bought $120 in upgrades; 256GB mSATA SSD, USB3.0 ExpressCard, 4 more GB DDR3L.

Touchpad is shit under Windows (freezes, not sure what the issue is) but is much better and more sensitive under Linux - gestures all work as well. fprintd is not that great and is much more strict than in Windows. Benchmarks show that SB mobile > IB mobile likely due to throttling. Processor runs a little hot when I got it, but I reapplied paste and it's much better. 1366x768 is pretty abysmal and the screen has thicc bevels but Matte IPS is crisp as hell.

Really good Linux battery life. Most X220s come with degraded 6-cells so expect to pay for a 9-cell but mine came with a pristine 9-cell so I got lucky. Use laptop-mode+pm-utils+powertop and a few udev rules to maximize unplugged life, almost all features work; also an SSD helps greatly. Together you can get ~12hrs of life on browsing/word processing. Decode is very expensive though, HD 3000 sucks. Good build quality, but it isn't that light compared to other laptops of its class.

HP EliteBook 9470m

>some just have a piece of cardboard in there
What?

>gestures all work as well
What gestures?

I'm gonna butt in on your thread as well.
Moving to England soon.

> Looking for a cheap and robust laptop.
> Size doesn't really matter, but I guess larger is better.
> Preferably with a 1000-series GPU.

Any tips?

Can confirm for , that it is worthwhile to do this. No regrets.

Keyboard swap and then a mod to the EC for some keys, and it's great.

Well, the track pads are the same. But you can get the palmrest. Hardly a difference though, you can just bend some tabs on the x220 keyboard to get it to fit.

>>long battery life
>install Linux
lol

Yeah, some laptops don't come configured with the camera and instead come with a placeholder in where the camera is. I don't remember if the think light is attached to the camera or if it's separate.

Flicking, circular scrolling, tap and drag by default. Obvious necessary features like side scrolling, edge detection, palm detection, two finger scrolling, tap (with pressure sensitivity) and bottom scrolling all work. Touchegg enables 3/4 finger taps. Pinch is the one I can't get working though.

It's better to get x220 the upgrade to 3rd gen CPU.

i got a 2012 zenbook ux31 off ebay for $175 with

>1080p touchscreen
>128g SSD
>8g RAM
>i5 4200u

the battery was swollen and it went bad soon after though, haven't even replaced it since i don't use it on the go

>Flicking, circular scrolling, tap and drag by default.
How do you configure those?
I'm using xfce and only two finger scrolling works for me.
>tap (with pressure sensitivity)
WHAT?
This X220 we're talking about right?

>This X220 we're talking about right?
Sorry, what I mean is that you can adjust THRESHOLD pressure, NOT that it can respond to gestures with pressure. You can use xset-props to change this. I'm not aware of whether or not touchegg can configure this, but no, it's not like Force Touch from Apple.

>How do you configure those?
>I'm using xfce and only two finger scrolling works for me.

Use synclient. It comes with the synaptics driver. All the options can be found via "synclient -l" and you can set it for one X session by doing something like "synclient CircularScrolling=1". Just append that to the end of a config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and you're good.

Just buy an used Dell XPS 13 on ebay.

>256GB mSATA SSD
How much did it cost you?
And is it better to get smaller SSD?
Like 32GB/64GB?

>$175

Impressive, user

It was the MyDigitalSSD BP4e (it's discontinued now), around $75 at the time and it's still running after about 2yrs. Sadly, it's bottlenecked by the SATA2 interface on mSATA, but I wanted to keep the mechanical drive; perhaps I will replace it later on with a SATA3 SSD.

>And is it better to get smaller SSD?
For block caching or for storage? On Linux I couldn't imagine needing more than 20GB of space for programs/kernel, I don't even use 4GB between /boot and /usr though I do use meme-tier "lightweight" ricing via i3. I don't know how to utilize it using bcache for mechanical drives though.

rath.org/ssd-caching-under-linux.html
May be a good place to start if you're interested in Linux bcache.

ThinkPad W700ds