How efficient is a VM?

How efficient is a VM?
I know it can't really use a GPU but what about CPU/RAM efficiency?

I wanted to use the supposedly incoming ryzen APU build a chep HCPT machine to stick it to living room TV to watch movies and play some stuff with a controller and remove my turboshit 775 billion watts
seedbox integrating it in a 24/7 VM but I don't know if a VM can handle it in the same way as native hardware

Someone have a similar setup?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2xpxkhitk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

depends on your hypervisor, nigger.

why do you need a vm to do any of that

>I know it can't really use a GPU
It can, I have two GPUs passed through to VMs right now.

>but what about CPU/RAM efficiency?
What do you mean? the hypervisor's overhead is negligable, it reserves like 300MB for ESXi 6.5

>I wanted to use the supposedly incoming ryzen APU
Wont work on ESXi unless you disable whatever AMD calls their implemention of hyperthreading.

What the fuck is that, is sounds like star trek, I'm using VMware but could use anything, its just a headless debian machine right now

Because you can't use rtorrent and games in the same O. S otherwise

Use Linux as your host. Use KVM. Pass a GPU through to the VM if you want to game.

why?

>SteamOS

So the issue here is amd?
I could go with a pentium 4560 but only two cores

>Linux as your host.
N. O

>So the issue here is amd?
No one cares about AMD chips which is why it is horribly broken.

>I could go with a pentium 4560 but only two cores
It has VT-d so you could pass through a GPU

install gentoo

No games

>N. O
Neat-O indeed.

Why not?
It seems like the sane thing to do

It's fine to do this, used to run a pass through setup with Linux host until I realized freetarded shit is gay and just used windows on bare metal

while I don't know nor care why your sexuality is threatened by linux, there is several benefits to doing it this way.
You can isolate the system so unwanted behavior is limited to the game you play, (eg removing of software you want to use)
You can also take backups and transfer the system if you get a new computer without any problems.

Still waiting for AGESA 1.0.0.6 to try out passthrough.

>type 2 hypervisor
>benefits
lol no. and nothing you listed can not be acomplished on a type 1.

meme passthrough is currently broken AF on ryzen so enjoy your endless tinkering

>AMD VM
No, just no

Plenty of boards already have it, did you buy some Msi or gigashit board?

So you want a Windows host playing video games and videos and a Linux guest running a torrent client? Just go do it then, it's not like torrenting is massively intensive.

AMD's IOMMU has always been horribly broken. Even before Ryzen they had problems with the IVRS table constantly being wrong.

>it's not like torrenting is massively intensive
My current build run 4x8tb HGST and 3k torrents and I use it to rape commercial seedboxes with autodl so I need actual performance

Its not impressive.

Also it take 100% of my core2duo, e6700

Is that shit virtualized or you just wanted to post your Internet Explorer

At the time of the screenshot no, I ran three ESXi nodes inside of VMware workstation on Server 2012 R2. After I figured out how to get Nvidia drivers to work in ESXi I installed it instead.

What's the underlying OS? If Windows, then yeah, ok, you need the hordepower...

Bro tell us your pass through set up.

Id love to try and roll something with my r710 just to see if i can pull it off.

Debian

>I know it can't really use a GPU
I beg to differ

>inb4 TP

I want to buy a itx HTCP not a shitbox with 2 dedicated GPUs

>moving goalposts
that's a nice way to win an internet argument

Who said anything about 2 dedicated gpus?

You need 2 to do it

I don't care what you want you to buy. You stated something and I proved you wrong.

A GPU
SINGLE GPU
RETARD

You don't need 2 DEDICATED gpus

You should just kill yourself right now

Who cares you subhuman, integrated+dedicated is 2 already

'kay then, since looks like AMD is not an option, which used stuff I could look to achieve my 775 replacement?

I'm looking for used j1900 computers but they are almost the price of a new pentium g4560 build with 1/3 the perfomance, 10w and pasive cooling is gut so I might consider getting one just to throw all my drives on it

Sume ideas?

See >
>I want to buy a itx HTCP not a shitbox with 2 dedicated GPUs

>2 dedicated gpus
>dedicated

And
>I know it can't really use a GPU but what about CPU/RAM efficiency?

No mention of integrated gpu. I don't careabout your current setup, nor the one you want to get, the fact is, you can use a gpu on a VM. That's it. If your brain can't handle that fact and you need to insult other people because of that I guess there's nothing we can do about it.

Also just 4 sata is good since I can just add more with pci

FUCK OFF WITH GPU YOU PIECE OF SHIT, THAT MACHINE RUN ON REMOTE TERMINAL ONLY YOUR MOM CUNT COULD RUN IT GPU-WISE

That's an awful try on disproving anyone's point.

YOUR POINT IS USELESS
I DON'T NEED GPU TO RUN RTORRENT

Calm down and read my posts carefully, I don't care avout what you need, the point is that, unlike OP said, a virtual machine can use a gpu; and unlike
said, you don't need 2 dedicated gpus to do so.

Also, I din't know if you know this, but you don't need a virtual machine to run rtorrent.

Read OP post you retarded piece of shit

I did, did you read my other posts? It doesn't seem so.

No one cares about your retarded posts and no one cares about wasting time/money/resources to use a GPU passthrough just fucking kill yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2xpxkhitk
~5% worse performance

rtorrent/rutorrent are a real bother, especially if your home server is like mine and lacks an UPS. Tixati is on both OSs and has super sane defaults.

Or Xen, Xen might be better performing I forget.

I need it to private trackers and Tixati is a no fucking way for it

>HEDT/Server Intel
Just werks
>Consumer Intel
Works, but you will probably need the ACS patch if using two GPU's
>AMD
Buggy trash, although things are slightly improving

>Windows host

Great, so everything gets cryptolocked. How retarded can you be

Intel is the only way, I don't even know what the fuck is ayymd trying with ryzen

Linux is just useless on anything but my home server