Sounds dumb as fuck.

Just say latex.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zwp4kxhUgZU?t=2m34s
youtu.be/8HuwiBPLV3A?t=39s
pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#math-rendering-in-html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I usually just call it TeX.

Writing documents in latex is like religion. You do it just because you BELIEVE it is the best option.

>what about math equasions
Both ms and libre office has cool math expression editor and you can write the syntax without clicking gui too.

>text editors are terrible
Just because you cant learn how to use them, set up paragraphs formatting, text flow or splitting words doesnt mean it is garbage.

>it is free
Libre is free too.

>muh caligraphics
Excuse me, i though you wanted to write your documentation / thesis / letter, not play 4 hours with bullshit.

T. Guy who was forced to submit one documentation for his school project in both pdf and tex.

>even txt is better than this

I find latex and variants get more compelling the longer the document gets and when you are dealing with figures.

Because the "X" at the end is not an "ex," but the greek letter "Chi"

Hence, "lay-teCH"

>Both ms and libre office has cool math expression editor and you can write the syntax without clicking gui too.

Fuck that. Those equation editors are pure shit compared to LaTeX.

ive heard people call it "lah-tesh"

SO lay-teh-ki?

Who even cares about LaTeX anymore? Is this 2005?
XeTeX or fuck off.

This, plus automatic numbering.

Have you actually tried them? You can write syntax like in tex if you remember the stuff. Pic related.

I dont know about how long stuff we talk, the most i did was 70 pages diploma stuff with anotations, tables, pictures, citations and index without troubles.

All you need to do is set up behavior like
>put level 1 headline to new page
>enable watcher for widows in text flow
>enforce text to always follow headline
>put manual page break

With latex, you find out that forcing certain text and picture to be on same page is IMPOSSIBLE BY DESIGN. Like how can some latex know better than me what i want?

I can program LaTeX to produce great PDFs with R. Tell me to do it in ms office and Im convinced

>With latex, you find out that forcing certain text and picture to be on same page is IMPOSSIBLE BY DESIGN

You're retarded.

\usepackage{float}

\begin{figure}[H]
\end{figure}

>that typesetting

>mixing latin and greek letters in one word
>also that one greek letter is not only indistinguishable from a latin letter, it's exactly the same
>expect people to pronounce it """correctly"""
freetards will defend this

Also it's not even the same letter actually, X is U+0058 and Χ is U+03A7. Any argument is invalid.

Are there even any viable alternatives to LaTeX, that compile a program-like document into a pdf, while supporting math notation and state machine diagrams and shit?

It's not about religion you dickhead. Have you ever written a math paper with 100+ sites? Belive me latex is a godlike. I am that kind of guy who always wrote his mathematic stuff in MS Word. I never wanted to use Latex because it was awkward. But after the first paper with latex I never used Word anymore. I use Latex for everything now. Its about Makros, about Figures handling, Auto Linking etc. It can plot functions without Octave or Matlab needed.

And its called lateh, because Latex is from a Russian mathematics and X is a H.

>majoring in math
You asked for this

Also poo in the loo

>Also poo in the loo
Trying too hard to fit in, I see. First day in Sup Forums?

>written in latin alphabet
>pronounced like in latin alphabet
>except for last letter because ITS GREEK DUDE LMAO
>Which is also used in latin alphabet and also indistinguishable from it

I suppose that is how elementary kids feel when they have to use Word instead of Wordpad for first time.

Still it's pronounced [ˈlaːtɛχ]. Complaining about the X being a chi is like complaining why Sean Bean's name doesn't rhyme.

Actually, Tau and Epsilon are Greek as well with very similar symbols to their Latin equivalent. It's only Chi that's the special snowflake.

Sjahn Bahn

Word is stupid! I don't understand it, therefore it's stupid and bad

Latex is stupid! I don't understand it, therefor it's stupid and bad.

Seen Bawn

>after first paper
That sounds like something drug addict or god believer would say :-)
But hey fair enough. And all math guys i know from uni are
>different
. Even though i majored in software engineering so by normies i am different already myself, i am still nothing compared to them. Do you still feel human or have you left the humanity behind?

>package not found
>package not compatible
Ans then when it finally compiles without warning it is still off.
So yeah, i am retarded.

I am not shill. Your use case is exotic as fuck in the same way as certain people claim their arch distribution have measurable improvements in their use cases.

Yeah, this is how i felt. But the force certain people forced it down upon us was unbelievable.

You're supposed to pronounce it /latex/, moron.

t. someone who uses neither

XeTeX is an extension to the TeX typesetting system. LaTeX is a format providing a set of macros on top of TeX to make it easier to work with. You can use LaTeX with XeTeX by calling the XeLaTeX tool.

>not play 4 hours with bullshit
>one documentation
LaTeX has a learning curve. If you're just as unfamiliar with Word or Libre and are tasked with creating complicated documents as well, your bound to spend hours as well just messing around with bullshit.

>math major
>poo in the loo
lurk moar before posting

>>That sounds like something drug addict or god believer would say :-)
But hey fair enough. And all math guys i know from uni are

I can read form your text that u've never written a scientist paper. Its Ok but don't call a greate software a piece of software. That's not fine and you shouldn't do that. Instead of wasting your time about complaining about Latex use your Major Degree in Pajett Engineering and write some better Latex sofware which fits your needs.

MS equation formatting is complete trash compared to LaTeX. If you were such a good programmer (protip: you're not) then you would have no problem picking up latex.

>Both ms and libre office has cool math expression editor and you can write the syntax without clicking gui too.

I can tell you've never had to write a serious math paper.

I just like being in complete control over my formatting. Call it autism or what have you.

I'm pretty sure Knuth officially said TeX was pronounced like that. The maker of LaTeX however, I think I heard that couldn't make up his mind? So I'm fine with people calling it "lah-tek" or "lay-tek", but 'latex' is just dumb.

ITT: Fags who don't care about computing history.

youtu.be/zwp4kxhUgZU?t=2m34s
youtu.be/8HuwiBPLV3A?t=39s

It's fucking spelled latex

Do you say jif too?

Markdown is clearly superior anyway, except maybe for math

But can you hack with libreoffice???

I've recently become familiar with a few XML-based document preparation formats. There not exactly alternatives for LaTeX, the rendering part is usually a completely separate technology like XSL FO. MathML would be the equivalent for math notation.

That's only because English spelling is retarded. Literally the most retarded spelling there ever existed.

A teacher forced us to write some math paper with LaTeX.

It would have been better if he actually gave us any basic support and more than 3 days to do the whole thing,

Of course everyone did a terrible job formatting it and developed a phobia of LaTeX

english is the dumbest lingua franca ever

>be me
>need to do a report for college
>fuck yes get to use LaTeX
>smug as fuck
>plebs in my class all use M$ Word
>I use LaTeX
>SMUG AS FUCK
>FEELSGOODMAN.SVG

Does anyone actually use this for math equations ?

I just copy paste text written in Maple. Works like a charm.

Apart from latex hackerpoints, the resulting paper really does look a lot better and your professor will appreciate that. Also, most of the M$ idiots will just give their results as docx, opposed to the much better pdf format.

Honestly, it's math notation. It looks like purest feces regardless.

>most of the M$ idiots will just give their results as docx, opposed to the much better pdf format

Word can export files to pdf since 2010. Besides, has no one ever told those people that they should never submit a document using a editable format?

Of course it can technically export .pdf, but nobody in my course seems to care about that. One guy apparently sent in the pages one by one because he was too dumb to understand that you can export the whole document

Dumbfuck.

>not simply using LyX

>He needs a GUI to do literally anything regardless of complexity

LyX is LaTeX for babies

>Writing documents in latex is like religion. You do it just because you BELIEVE it is the best option.
I am well aware this is not for everyone, but I find it better than the word style documents you seem to hold to a high standard.
>>what about math equasions
I know. I have used word in the past and the syntax is identical to latex.
The syntax in libreoffice is different but it is fine too.
It is slower than latex, but you can achieve similar results this is true.
But the biggest strength is that you have multiple files you build into a single document.
>>text editors are terrible
>Just because you cant learn how to use them, set up paragraphs formatting, text flow or splitting words doesnt mean it is garbage.
Text editors are much better than the editor in word, there is not even a competition here.
>>muh caligraphics
>Excuse me, i though you wanted to write your documentation / thesis / letter, not play 4 hours with bullshit.
Do you mean tikz?
I love to make graphs in tikz, I do not find it to be a waste of time.
If you mean setting up a document, there is no need to spend time on this at all.
>T. Guy who was forced to submit one documentation for his school project in both pdf and tex.
I have heard stories about this.
I don't know how bad your school has to be in order to force students to do this.
I have used it throughout my education.
In the beginning, it was because someone in my group wanted us to do it, but when I got used to the idea, I found it to be a great tool.

Modern Word does has a decent equation input. Trying to input partial derivatives on anything before Word 2010 was pure suffering and the college I went to insisted on students using it. I was fucking floored when somebody showed me latex making hay out of this nonsense.

>Your use case is exotic as fuck

Im a data scientist, so its not that rare

It's pronounced "leh TEK"

Can you explain what the difference is and why it is a good idea?

I have been a lab instructor for 1st semester students for 3 years.
One of the first reports they had to make was in this course.
First year, I told people about latex and that it was an option. 10/26 reports were written latex.
Second year, I didn't mention it at all. 4/30 were written in latex.
The third year, I didn't mention it at all, but I uploaded a short guide on what latex was and how they could use it.
25 / 35 reports were written in latex.
Learning how to use it and submitting to the philosophy of writing a latex document is hard for people.

t. liberal arts babby who's pissed that a professor was sick and tired of atrocious Word documents being submitted

>Both ms ... has cool math expression
stopped reading there.

it's a gui built on top of latex for non-autistic people who want to get shit done and not waste hours googling how to do basic shit in latex

*.jif

You can use Marldown + LaTeX format as it is done on Jupyter notebooks.

Nevertheless the future is TeXmacs if GNU die hards help its development instead of letting it have the Hurd fate.

You've obviously never seen or read French.

Pandoc is a great tool for this sort of thing. Write in Markdown/reStructuredText/asciidoc so it reads better as plaintex, and render to PDF with LaTeX so it looks pretty.

$ pandoc -f markdown -t latex -o out.pdf in.md

They have this for math in markdown HTML too:
pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#math-rendering-in-html

>lay tek
>latex
Both of those are incorrect.
It's "LAH-tek"

I guess you don't know any languages either than English, huh? They're basically all worse.

>the "X" at the end is not an "ex," but the greek letter "Chi"
No, it's not. It's English and it uses latin characters in its name.
It isn't even pronounced like a chi. The sound at the end is a voiceless velar fricative, which is represented in the IPA by a normal latin x. The only reason it's commonly pronounced as if it were a chi is because English doesn't have a voiceless velar fricative sound and many native English speakers can't produce it.

To expand on this, because some people read that the "TeX" in LaTeX is based on greek letters and therefore are greek letters, we do not write out LaTeX as Laτέχ. Knuth based the capitalization of the latin letters on what they look like in the greek word that they're derived from, but formally named it using only latin characters. It's intended only to be a homage to the etymology.