Browser Thread

We are making a web browser!

In the face of recent changes in Firefox some anons were asking for a Sup Forums's perfect web browser, we have collected here the most wanted and plan on continuing with the creation.

Repository and details: magicpackets.net:3000/proudfeet/netrunner
To join the team contact: [email protected]
To join the IRC: magicpackets.net:6667

Also, general browser alternatives discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/en/jessie/links2
magicpackets.net:3000/proudfeet/netrunner
github.com/5yph3r/Netrunner
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i make the logo

Our logo concept is a blue skinned guy with sunglasses (NetRunner), pretty much the moonman :^)

>gmail.com
Why would I be helping a government agent?

>links
this isn't going anywhere

irc channel is #netrunner btw

complete. now you code fags hurry up, I expect it to be good, and for you to support it for as long as I need it.

yeah, good luck with that lmao

Why not host this project on GitHub like any normal person would do?

OP is banned from github.

Can you even get banned from GitHub? How?

SJW meme

C+= got banned.

there are many alternatives to github.
nobody will use it unless its made in C, and don't do the Electron bullshit or i will kill you in your sleep

where's the github? if you're banned then use bitbucket?

>Sup Forums
>making a web browser
>doesn't host code on public repo
literally why

>nobody will use it unless its made in C
It is a requirement.

Would you make a mirror?

This is supposed to be secret hacker meme browser for only the chosen ones

How's this not public?

ignore the bollocks

I'll bump for interest. I had to move to palememe because I refuse to use pulse audio, making our own browser could be fun.

Was thinking the same. If the browser calls an external application there is no problem to call an audio player for things like sound and music. I hope devs are thinking this.

inb4 this is forgotten in a few days

I'd think about contributing if the code was hosted publicly. I'm not going to waste my time getting in contact with Sup Forums users over IRC. Just host it on bitbucket.

don't bother

Would you please make a mirror? We can add it in the next OP.

Support leek:// protocols, such that leek://URI redirects to leekspin.

I love it.

Lol have fun challenging Google, Also include support for chrome cast if you're actually serious

I make the bitcoin miner.

This

>chrome cast

Please include muh mouse gestures and custom search, I loved Opera if only for those.

shouldnt it be in the face of recent changes of chrome & firefox?

chrome is way more of a shitstorm

im the guy who put up that repo- if you guys want to do it on github go ahead, I just like hosting my own shit.

How is the mailing list going?

Edge is the shit now, don't even bother

*** TRIGGER WARNING, use of problematic terminology ahead ***

Please avoid using the m*ster/sl*ver terminology, along with the k*lling of processes. P*rent and ch*ld should also be avoided.

Love and light.

>light
associating good things with whiteness is racist citizen

Is there anyway I could help without programming?

Probably by open a github/bitbucket account and mirror the contents so the other devs can cooperate. Make it editable by everyone though.

Make a logo

Guys, what was the official reason links was selected over lynx, w3m, elinks, and netsurf?

Name idea: Co/g/nizance (or Cognizance)

No problem over here. I guess hosting in a popular website has its advantages but if we put a little effort in publicizing the project I don't a problem.

>Sup Forums projects
lmao into the vaporbin it goes

I thought links2 didn't have tls support.

1second on google shows packages.debian.org/en/jessie/links2

eww

>eww
>as in the emacs web browser
eww

And why would anyone use a garbage browser made by uneducated and unskilled retards?

>projecting this much

This was meant to be 16x16 but for some reason it doesn't upload

>mfw I don't care what you think
>mfw I am not even going to click on any of the OPs links

I'll just let this project get what it deserves

I love you

If you have nothing of value to contribute you can kindly fuck off.

This

If I make a PR with the chromium source will you accept it?

What do you mean by PR?

>make Firefox faster
Waterfox exists

Firefox can't run in a framebuffer and has bloat like xorg as a requirement.

A pull request. It means I send you email with the patch and ask you to commit it to your repository.

pull request.......

Chromiun doesn't fit the bill.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was agreed that anything chromium based was ruled out because it can't run in a framebuffer.

Are you guys basing it off anything or writing it from scratch?

Servo will be great when it's done. It's just too bad Mozilla had to torch XUL extensions to get there.

You are right.

In the previous thread there was a long list of features and links2 was agreed to work on it as a base.

If I make a PR of the emacs source modified to have C-x C-f run browse-url-emacs will you accept it?

Links2 currently is the closest as a base to what we want, less work to have to do in the end.

Ah ok, what are some ways I can contribute without actually programming?

Reposting the README from magicpackets.net:3000/proudfeet/netrunner

-Granular control over incomming traffic like Policeman (more control than uMatrix in this particular subject).
- Granular control over outgoing traffic like Tamper Data or like Privacy Settings (the addon).
- Easy switch to preset profiles for both like uBlock Origin for incomming traffic and Privacy Settings for outgoing traffic.
- Random presets generator for things like "user-agent" and "canvas fingerprint".
- Custom stylesheets like Stylish.
- Userscript support like Greasemonkey.
- Cookie management like Cookie Monster.
- HTTPS with HTTP fallback and ports management like Smart HTTPS and HTTPS by default.
- Proxy management like FoxyProxy.
- "Open with" feature to use an external application, like for using a video player with youtube-dl and MPV, or for text input with a text editor, and for other protocols like ftp and gopher, and even as a file picker.
- Local cache like Decentraleyes and Load from Cache.
- Option to turn off disk usage for all data (cache, tmp data, cookies, logs, etc.), or/and make cache read only.
- All this in a per site basis.
- URL Deobfuscation like "Google search link fix" and "Pure URL".
- URI leak prevention like "No Resource URI Leak" and plugin enumeration prevention by returning "undefined".
- Keyboard driven with dwb features like vi-like shortcuts, keyboard hints, quickmarks, custom commands.
- Optional emacs-like keybindings (maybe default for new users to have an easier time?).
- Non-bloated smooth UI like dwb.
- Configuration options from an integrated command-line (with vimscript-like scripting language?).
- A configuration file like Lynx.
- Send commands to the background to be optionally displayed in an optional interface, as to use wget web crawling feature like a DownThemAll, and to use and watch other batch commands.
- A way to import bookmarks from other browsers like Firefox.

Cont. in next post...

(cont.)

- Search customization like surfraw, dwb funtions or InstantFox Quick Search, and reverse image search like Google Reverse Image Search.
- Writen in C.
- Low on dependencies.
- GPL v3+.
- Framebuffer support like NetSurf for working in the virtual terminal (TTY).
- Actual javascript support so we can lurk and post in Sup Forums.

>-Granular control over incomming traffic like Policeman (more control than uMatrix in this particular subject).
>- Granular control over outgoing traffic like Tamper Data or like Privacy Settings (the addon).
Expose C API and support module loading?

So a bunch of gimmick features before you even have a working foundation...

Wrong, we search a lot of alternatives and came with one that supports pretty much already. Objectively not all yet, but is pretty close.

see

Does anyone knows how is structured links2 ? Just took a look at the sources but it's huge ! Are there tools that maps which file is linked to which (include, function from another header etc) ?

After trying out both w3m and links2 in a terminal, links2 looks far better with image support and looks less ugly overall. I needed gpm to be enabled to use it without xorg, but that's fine and I think I can disable it by compiling it without support for it.

Ctags and GLOBAL

Thanks, i'll educate myself ;-)

I put a repo up on Github for those who requested it

github.com/5yph3r/Netrunner

BLOAT

Start with a working, minimal browser and then add your meme features as official addons of some kind.

I agree fully, have only the essential features and any extras as an addon system. The base netrunner should only need the ability to show images, HTML5, CSS, and javascript. Anything else will be done via addon system that can be created for netrunner.

- HTML/CSS shit like F12 in FF (better as addon i guess)
- boss key (hide all tabs and display blank page, local html file or whatever. mb unlock by password)

Ultrabloat edition:
- mb something like tab sync but with your own server
- PDF displayer

and btw this but don't fuck up with architecture, it would be really unfortunate if shit like one that happend to dwb will appear

I third this idea

Add-ons created using Lisp or Haskell ? :D

Then should we start from scratch instead of forking ?

Wouldn't it just be easier to remove features from links2 and push them into an addon directory and build upon the minimalized base?

I think starting from scratch would be better, let's make this thing as minimal as possible

Here's the thing.
We should use Blink or WebKit.

We need to agree what features are essential first.

Minimal engine would be really nice, but might end up as another webkit gui with literally 0 features but displaying page.

Or using links as a core and stripping everything "bloat"

I like what this user suggested >images
>HTML5
>CSS
>javascript
I think that's a good list for the absolute minimum for a useable web experience

Thanks

Surf or uzbl are fine enough.

meant to reply to

You don't even know what those features represent. Is all about exposing the interface for things you already do.

This.