INSTALL SOLUS

Name 3 reasons why Solus shouldn't replace Ubuntu as the noob/streamlined/shittop distro.
Unacceptable answers: "no packages" - this will be fixed as it keeps growing.

Protip: you can't.

Other urls found in this thread:

solus-project.com/blog/
debian.org/security/
lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/
reddit.com/r/SolusProject/comments/5id8kg/how_solus_team_provides_security_of_their_distro/db7v3gd/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6gyw1q/now_is_a_good_time_to_consider_supporting_solus/diuuwyb/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

go home kevin

>He can't argue without memes
As expected.

INSTALL SOLUS

to the top you go
take my upboat

I don't wanna use some one off distro that will probably be dead in a year or so when the new distro smell wears off. I'm happy with fedora.

CloverOS > Solus

>ubanto is backed up by a company
>solus is backed up by kevin
I'd rather use gentoo though

It has been going for more than a year and is growing.
>Supporting the botnet
Back to Sup Forums.

What is the best distro that is also pretty like this?

Solus

>Gentoo
>botnet
what

>Ubuntu is backed up by a company
What?

Because eopkg is slow as fuck and written in python.
You should've used pacman Kevin.

Kevin uses CloverOS now

>pacman
We're not talking about archfags. eopkg is just as fast/slow as apt.

What about systemd?

No worse than Ubuntu and mainstream GNU/Linux adoption isn't going to depend on systemd. Does anyone who installs Ubuntu actually care about it?

Kevin is a faggot's name. Faggots are horrible programmer's.

Your distro is shit.

I only need one reason not to use Solus.
No packages.

Let's talk when solus is ready.

name 3 packages you NEED that Solus doesn't have.

Krita, Blender, Ardour

meh, another distro that have a 'new' package manager just to being different.

Spotted the 12yo

looks like you have no reason to not use it then.

did you even check? retard

it's mostly because one of Solus's main goals is to avoid making users directly interact with the package manager.

dumb kevin poster

Kevin my g

and why cant you use rpm/deb for that + a frontend so "the users dont directly interact with the package manager." ?
I'm genuinely asking, deb/rpm is not the best thing in the world but what does solus package manager bring that is so great that has to be done from scratch?

if AppImage becomes an standard for distributing software, any meme distro will be viable. Damn, you could even use Linux from Scratch and still use up to date software.

I hope that Linus Torvalds shilling could help to AppImage.

It does not read/source $HOME/.profile
Ikey told me that they should fix it but I have not had the chance to test whether it did or not

Because ubuntu had an existing extensive support network for normies

I was using ubuntu/botnet 10 on hdd, got a new hdd then I decided to check out Solus after the n-th thread made by kevin to try his OS.
I gotta say, it's actually good, the gnome integration is flawless. It's fast and lighter than gnome.
So if anyone want to distro hop or is just a beginner than want an easy linux then solus is the way.
It's funny how solus has a better Software Center than Ubuntu

Yougot me

Can i install .debs?

no

>Name 3 reasons
1) Because Budgie is the new kid on the block regarding desktop environments (DEs), and GNOME has a much bigger development community that has lasted for almost two decades now;
2) Because we have Ubuntu Budgie as a separate flavour for people that still want to use it as their default DE;
3) Because not everything is about you, Ikey.

not arguments.

Why would I use Solus over Ubuntu budgie?

I'm arguing, therefore they are.

no botnet

What botnet, and what security advisories can we expect from Solus

>muh bigger development community
All gnome does nowadays is fuck shit up, is it stable yeah, but so is bugdie
>Ubuntu
Canonical shill please kys

How do we know that if upstream package X, developed by Y, has vulnerability Z, which then gets patched by Y, that the Solus package maintainers update its packages for X in a timely fashion?

> (You)
>>muh bigger development community
>All gnome does nowadays is fuck shit up, is it stable yeah, but so is bugdie
I don't know what 'fuck shit' is, but that's highly subjective and by that argument everyone is already free to choose whatever DE they want to run anyway, so why do you care
>>Ubuntu
>Canonical shill please kys
Not everyone that utters the word Ubuntu is an Ubuntu 'shill', user

>Unacceptable answers: [...] this will be fixed sometime
dropped

is this johnny knoxville

Solus maintains a blog solus-project.com/blog/ that tells you this.

That's a regular blog, user. I don't see any security advisory page or mailing list on that site either.

you asked
>How do we know [...] that the Solus package maintainers update its packages for X in a timely fashion?
and i showed you how.

That's a real shame, because all that Solus has to offer is a simply dev blog which is not nearly what the bigger competitors offer regarding dedicated news channels. Security advisories being an invaluable one.

Examples which Solus all seem to lack:
Dedicated security page with their security philosophy, how it acts on security issues, where to reach the security team, what new CVEs are being resolved within the their repositories, general tips, FAQ, how to participate, and a dedicated security mailing lists
debian.org/security/
lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/

You didn't even tell me if thing like these are even on their roadmap. As of this point, Solus is still a no-go for any serious endeavours and I'd advise anyone to avoid using it *for now*.

dunno, Solus is much smaller than debian. here's a reddit post from Ikey on how he handles security: reddit.com/r/SolusProject/comments/5id8kg/how_solus_team_provides_security_of_their_distro/db7v3gd/
i'd imagine he's planning on getting to those things eventually.

Ubuntu Budgie is far better.

That enlightens at least a fair amount of what one guy manages to accomplish. That's good, at least the main dev shows honest potential and intention, but it seems Solus has still a long, long way to go to offer the same level of support and security that other competitors offer.

So, like I said, they're the new kid on the block, they still need to grow, a lot, and expand their security team (among other things) in order for Solus to become a serious viable option. Until it is, Ubuntu Budgie is at this point a far better alternative to use Budgie with a more mature and reliable OS. Solus at this point is a fun and nice hobby project which you may or may not support in your free time.

>and expand their security team (among other things)
I looked into it further. Apparently Ikey is going to work on Solus full time now, and addressed a similar complaint: reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6gyw1q/now_is_a_good_time_to_consider_supporting_solus/diuuwyb/

Already got five people into Linux from win10 because of how easy Solus is to use. They've moved onto mint now tho, but Solus got them to make the move and get to using Linux.

Thank you, Kevin.

(Also firewall should come preistalled)

Not sure what was going on there but it seems the main dev needs a lot of help and financial support for this to launch, and to gain and maintain velocity. But it's, always very nice to see people dream and believe and make something happen. We need these people.

But Solus is not there yet, so it's unfair of OP to badmouth Ubuntu and saying we can't even name 3 reasons out of a million to not use Solus *yet* until they *do* became a viable option.

>o it's unfair of OP to badmouth Ubuntu and saying we can't even name 3 reasons out of a million to not use Solus *yet* until they *do* became a viable option.
Besides the CVE tracker issue you mentioned in your original post, what else do you think it needs to be considered seriously?

no .deb ? get fucked with this fucking bullshit then

Kys Kevin

solus is shit but the DE looks great. is budgie worth installing on a real distro?

When is budgie 11 coming?

Spotted the spotter of spotted potters

I'm not shilling Solus or anything, but, your security concerns are rather amusing considering you seem to hold Debian up as the gold standard. Debian may be "stable" but it has a pretty shitty security history. Look for yourself.

It's literally a cluster-fucked version of Gnome. It's the one thing I dislike about Solus, desu.

No packages is a perfectly acceptable answer. You're asking people to change for no reason onto a platform with less support. Solus sucks, but I tell noobs to use Gentoo because I don't want more noobs asking for advice on learning C# and Java in all the damn support forums. If I actually like someone enough to want them to into Linux I tell them to use Antergos.

ChromeOS or Xubuntu.

>install ardour and it doesn't work
>blender and ardour don't have icons
>can't use GLSL rendering in Blender

I don't use krita though.

retard

I'm sick of fragmentation and I won't support it anymore. I don't understand why this memer didn't just make a budgie package for a pre-existing distro and call it a day. It's fine if he wants to reinvent the wheel to stoke his own ego, but trying to shill it as competition and breaking the community up even more for no reason isn't doing anyone any favors.

And the lack of packages IS acceptable if it's real, even if it isn't permanent, because your thread is suggesting people use solus right now.

>And the lack of packages IS acceptable if it's real
only if it doesn't have something that you find integral. lots of people say "LOL NO PACKAGES" and don't even check, like this retard.

there's literally no selling pitch why anyone would install $RANDOMDISTRO like yours over something that just works like Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora or whatever.

>Unacceptable answers: "no packages"
no packages. fuck you.

bunsen labs

Shit's gonna be awesome when the migrate to sol

no packages

>Unacceptable answers: "no packages" - this will be fixed as it keeps growing.
Then don't make these threads until it's fixed. Until then it's trash. It's like saying "why are you not buying this car? It has no windshield but that will be fixed eventually so don't worry".

But I Do use Solus on my ESXI box.
I use it a my primary RPing virtual machine.

Retards.

>implying .deb is the only package file format

I did not imply Debian as the gold standard - just as an example. And yes, I'm aware of their issues from the past. But Debian and other distributions have matured in a way that Solus can at least learn from.

>t. Kevin

This. I need the packages now. Also, it should replace Ubuntu as the normie desktop distro (Steam, Spotify, Discord, you know, the average /r/linuxmasterrace user) but nothing more.

The only useful.

Argument where???

>Debian 9 just went out
>It's amazing
>Solus is a meme

Ardour worked fine for me. And it has icons when installed, just not on the software center.