Imposter Syndrome

Do you Sup Forumsuys suffer from Imposter Syndrome?

This is some kind of made-up shit like Aspergers. It doesn't exist. People have always "faked it until they made it" in business, I'm sure since ancient Egyptian camel-shit salesmen.

>have low self-esteem
>don't want to admit it
>call it something new and pretend it's normal

Well, I have that but to be fair I'm an impostor for real.

that picture isn't impostor syndrome, that's being humble

don't make being humble a fucking bad thing

i don't want to have to deal with more actual impostor ass tech retards who think they just have a different area of expertise and they don't know basic shit

if you feel like you don't know enough then you probably don't know enough and you should learn more

I am actually useless so no

What is the opposite?

I have that

Delusions of grandeur

Dunning–Kruger effect

It'd be better if everyone thought like this.

I smell an inferiority complex

Yes, all things equal and I'm an environment where everyone seems competent, I automatically assume I'm the dumbest person there. That's usually true though, so there's that.

look at these smart ass motherfuckers

I have an oedipus complex.

also an electra complex it seems, little girl

Assume everyone is incompetent.

It saved me from having a aneurysm.

>tfw Daddy will never plow my ass while I'm balls deep inside my Mommy and she is calling me a "good girl".

>implying im not coming to pound my princess' thick girly butt tonight
just be prepared

It can be, I know a really good programmer but he freaks out over showing his code and rewrites things a thousand times and then won't post it on GitHub because he doesn't think it's good enough.

>having low self esteem is a good thing
sure user, whatever helps you feel better

I'm smart enough to know how little I actually know and understand, and that also, at least for the most part, 9:10 people I've met are wholly worthless in all regards, even when given the most basic of tasks.

No, because I have a competitive hobby that bluntly and directly shows when I'm good or shit.

It's great for self-esteem, since you can be honest and okay with low skill, as well as legitimately know when you are high skill.

Woah you're the exact opposite

Is 60949903 Indian? They are so fucking arrogant but don't know jack shit.

I tried doing this, ended up with a boss that thought I didn't know shit and was kind enough to train me.
Wish there was a nice end to this story but he doesn't know shit either and isn't very good at training and every day has been an exercise in disappointing him more and more.

Only reason I'm sticking around is because a friend works at this place and I'm learning things from him.

100% sure that if I bullshitted him I coulda came up with something that he wanted and he'd be happy. But as it stands I just fucked myself over for being honest and came across as a beta

/personal blog

that is certainly an extreme case but this image can be interpreted in a different, lazy self-serving way like
Yeah, actually I'm great exactly how I am!
i bet you tell yourself that people who critique you are just assholes because you can't stand not being perfectly competent at all things

>people who like themselves must be massive narcissists
your insecurity and bitterness is showing

you have to go back

....where the fuck you came holy shit

/thread

Sup Forums has been faggots since its creation
you must be new here

something like the term "impostor syndrome" is more likely to legitimize pajeets, than legitimize people who are unjustifiably insecure about what they do is my argument

life teaches you where you are at eventually

but "impostor syndrome" tells you that where you are at is just fine, it's just "impostor syndrome" that is making you unsure

it's a bad term

low self-esteem is something different

what about people who are so broken despite having years of experience and knowledge they still feel dumb and ignorant? happens as result of abuse

Neuefagen

What's the hobby?

imposter syndrome?
lol'd
no I don't suffer from any kind of mental disorder
i am very skilled with computers and have high self sexsteem

Fighting games.

i'm speaking from the perspective of someone who deals with countless retard narcissists who legitimize their poisonous behavior with buzzwords

clearly the label is useful for someone like you describe but it is so wonderfully accessible for someone to co-opt in order to be a fucker that i naturally rail against it

No, that requires you to be good at something in the first place.

Oh yeah I know what you mean, I came across as a site called kodify.io a few days ago and the team on the pics was mostly bimbos and baby boomers trying to look expert and intelligent with meme words, impostors who cant do anything yet wanna act high and mighty

I used to believe i was competent and incompetent at times. Now I just think I'm incompetent. Really I'm just a jack of all trades master of none, that applies to stuff beyond computers.

>tell people i know basic stuff if they ask
>actually am certified master of the gentoes

>countless retard narcissists who legitimize their poisonous behavior with buzzwords
Sup Forums

No, I know that I actually know nothing, but I will present myself as something more than I actually am with as much confidence as possible, reason is simple. Assholes are for some reason trusted more.

n-no actually real life people
i don't use Sup Forums cause it's icky

Better image, OP's image is not helpful

did you just post a FLOWER lmao are you GAY or something?????????? xD

lmao, this is the type of shitposting that keeps me coming back

It's not meant to be anything like Aspergers, like literally not even in the same category. It's just meant to be a widespread behavioral pattern. And from what I can tell, in academia it absolutely is and I'd even say it is kind of a problem for many people. You could just call it "low self-esteem" of course, but considering many people connect to the feeling of being an imposter and recognize the pattern, it is useful to call it like that.

"Imposter syndrome" is just another label of millennials..

The more you know, the more you understand what you NOT know. There are basically 4 stages of knowledge:
a) not knowing and not being aware of ("programming is easy")
b) not knowing and being aware of ("oh shit, there is so much to know")
c) knowing and being aware of ("not bad, I can do FizzBuzz in 3 langauges!")
d) knowing and not being aware of ("I've programmed a lot of things, I can't even remember how much")

Impostor syndrome actually only applies to the last group of people: programmers that are really really good but always feel unsatisfied with their skills.

But most of the time it's people of the second group that claim to have "imposter syndrome": people that just realized they only know a tiny part of what there is to know.

You have to realize this:
You don't have impostor syndrome, you just realized that you suck. And that's great, it's part of the process. Even Linus Torvalds probably had a moment when he realized: "Well yeah, I'm pretty bad."

You have to accepts that you suck and then get better. Every day you suck a little less. And after decades you might feel that you are an OK-ish programmer.

When do you not suck tho?

I've written a compiler and a kernel and I still know I'm shit compared to a ton of people. I also know the retards who can string along two lines of Java plumbing outnumber me by ridiculous numbers tho.

Newfag

Remember when general public freaked out about Rumsfield's comment and called him an idiot?

>The known knowns and the unknown unknowns.

People will always be dumb fucks.

Incest tiers

>God Tier
Father/Daughter
Father/Mother/Daughter

>Good Tier
Mother/Son
Older Sister/Little Brother

>Meh tier
Older brother/Little sister

>what the fuck is even the point tier
Step-siblings
Cousins
Aunt

summer detected

Everybody except the incompetent.

>I've written a compiler and a kernel
no you haven't
literally no one codes on /dpt/
if someone shows actually 300+ lines of code he receives a sea of (You)s because "wow an actual fucking dev on Sup Forums"

Hey user. Have you tried reading? I hear youtube has some good resources too.

That's why I don't post on /dpt/ user.
I know this board is shit, but it's better than having to deal with Reddit while I wait for the decennial post on Lainchan.

I think this post epitomizes Sup Forums and most of Sup Forums for that matter pretty well

Everyday I re-enter and exit the last group. I get constant laurels for saving people's ass and hitting the backlog like it owes me money. I feel like I'm not doing much and that I don't actually feel like I'm as smart as people say I am.

Then I talk to people that have tasks that are high risk of not being completed.. and I realize that the bar is set so low that almost anyone could look amazing... then I realize that anyone could look amazing when compared to those people.. like me :|

>rinse & repeat

>5 PPP has been deposited into your account

I was diagnosed with IS during a government job interview process which included a physiological battery test. Every time someone tries to compliment me for some skill, I deflect the compliment and make up an excuse to demean it's merit.

"Wow, you got your master's in 4 years?"
"well it was at a public university, and the program wasn't that intense."

"I can't believe you remember that obscure mythology fact"
"it's not as obscure as you think. I wouldn't be able to call myself a fan if i didn't know it"

that program you wrote has literally doubled my medical coding efficiency"
"it's just a little script, and the only reason i knew how to write it was because i used to suck at icd10. i wouldn't be passable without it"

Every now and then I can get braggadocious about an accomplishment, but it feels more like I'm acting out a character trying to make people laugh rather than feeling proud about what i've done.

I'm working for $15/hour because I absolutely suck at job interviews, and can't figure out a way to hype myself up enough to not completely self-ridicule myself during face-to-face meetings. But I can't being myself to list it as a disability on the employment forms because then I would spend my entire time at the position hating myself for thinking i only got the job out of pitty.

It goes beyond having low self-esteem, and it sucks. I can hang out with my friends and have fun, no depression. but whenever anyone needs help, i shy away because i don't feel like i'd be able to help them as well as someone else would. i can't drive in a car-pool because i always feel like there's someone else in the car who's a better driver than me, and we would be safer if they took the wheel.

IS locks you into a false mediocrity of your own design. And it's really hard to break away from your own mind and better yourself.

>You don't have impostor syndrome, you just realized that you suck.

/thread
/concept
/condition

No, it's not that simple

KYS
And stop perpetuating these fake conditions.