Is a computer science degree necessary to get a related job ?

Has anyone here tried just getting a math degree and learning programming on their own ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Science
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Getting a degree in Math is much better than CS these days.

A computer science degree will get your feet in the door for internships. Internships will get your feet in the door for a job.

If you go to graduate school for computer science, computer science with a minor in math will help you since academia generally requires heavy math knowledge. Not so much in the industry.

>CS
>Math
>Everybody forgetting about good ol' engineering
Can be helped.

I have a math degree and work as a software engineer, although I work with a group that prototypes data analytics products, so a good portion of us are non-CS majors.

>Has anyone here tried just getting a math degree and learning programming on their own ?

I'm just simply doing the latter and learning on my own. Why get a CS degree when you can just learn all you need to know online FOR FREE. Build some applications for your portfolio and then be honest with your employer that you're an autodidact, or just bullshit and say that you got some online degree (see diploma mills.)

The way I see it is this: If you're really needed and you're GOOD at what you do, then there's no reason for an employer to look for a reason to fire you because you lied about having a legitimate degree, AND if you're producing good work BUT they decide to terminate you "just because" they up and decided to check the legitimacy of your educational credentials, then you don't want to be working for people like that anyway.

Also, there's always freelancing/working from home.

I didn't get a math degree, I got a computer engineering degree, so I can't speak on that directly. But what I can say is you should figure out what you want to do first then figure out how you're going to get there. Just saying "I want to get a job related to computer science" isn't specific enough. Programming alone isn't really a thing you achieve. You want to solve problems and you want to use software to do it. But what kind of problems. Whose problems? Why?
These aren't easy questions to ask or answer but the sooner you do it the better off and more satisfied you'll be.
For me, I knew I wanted to do something with computer hardware or software because I was fascinated by how much thought and detail went into building advanced computer systems. The idea of putting something as complicated as a city on something the size of of a postal stamp piqued my curiosity like nothing else. But whenI got to college and after got my degree I asked myself "what, specifically do I want to DO with these skills?" That's when my education and career became more focused, more fulfilling and quite frankly easier. My point is, you can answer your question by asking yourself different and more important questions. Because implicit in the answers to those important questions are the answers to questions like "what degree should I get?" and "what programming languages should I learn?"

>Why get a CS degree when you can just learn all you need to know online FOR FREE
Because most employers mind your pedigree (aka which Uni did you attend). Even for pajeets to get employed they usually did a bachelor or a CS in an abroad (US/UK/Canada). That doesn't mean they're any good at what they are supposed to know how to do (coding/taking requirements/QA). It just means they finished a degree. These things are a remnant of the old system, were attending Uni meant you were above average, had formal training on doing X or Y and demonstrated how competent you were at doing it.
The real problem is that the field is still too young. I mean, CS doesn't have even 100 years. The software crisis wasn't recognized until the early '70s. You cannot expect it to have the rigour than other fields that have been around longer.

Your theory is fine for CS, but if you take it to other fields (like actual maths or any traditional engineering) because teaching and competence measuring methods are already proven and tested. An actual advantage of doing a degree is that it will open you more job options than just coding for food.

I have a CSE bachelor and MSc in SE. I don't feel like they gave much on the technical side (coding or working with electronics), but they gave me much on the part less discussed on Sup Forums about making software, like how to do system analysis, measure effort, managing teams, pointers on dealing with clients, etc... You can learn those things outside too, but I feel that's a risky venture since you'll be basically learning on the go with a client and if things go shit, it's your name on the line.

Pick what you feel best OP

>math
Maybe you should learn to spell maths before attempting harder stuff like programming, kid.

>I'll take "I never had a job in the tech industry" for 500

reminder to report these threads.

Sup Forums isn't the advice board. Sup Forums isn't the jobs board. Sup Forums isn't the career board

What is (you)

You obviously know nothing of pajeets or you live in some bumfuck state with no real tech industry.

CS has another 10-15 years before half of the job market will be wiped out.

>You obviously know nothing of pajeets
I've met enough both during my MSc and working with them later on. On the MSc many had above average income and had money to blow, but they weren't exactly the brightest tool in the shed.
Working with them is just a frustrating experience but taking the time to talk I found many did a degree outside India, never worked with anyone living there.
YMMV

I think it has at least twice that, but who knows. I'm still waiting for the fall of all manufacturing jobs which basically predicted to end by early 2000s

WTF IS A MSc? That shit isn't American. You know nothing of the pajeets and the tech industry. You have met the pajeets that can get into schools who are obviously several tiers higher than their poo in the loo counterparts. Pajeets run a racket out here in America where the tech industry actually matters. Pajeets that came in the 80s are now management level who only hire other pajeets, especially if they come from the same province. There are pajeets with "certificates" from no name Indian schools and they're taking up all the jobs out here. Some pajeets get hired by Indian agency's who get hired by an American agency who get hired by some American company. These fucks get paid like $15 an hour and live 10 deep in homes. They been taking over entire fucking cities. Fremont California is all pajeet.

I get that education is expensive in america, but getting a degree makes it so easy to get a high paying job.
The ability to learn on your own is necessary, every education requires you to learn on your own.
A university is a place where you can dedicate to learning. There will be some lectures along the way and you get tutors, advisors, teachers and other students to help your way through it.
You learn faster this way.
There is no subject you learn on a university you cannot learn through books or videos you find online.
But staying at home and learning the stuff does not make you the same as one who got a degree.
I know a lot of people in my field because I studied with them.
I can rely on their knowledge because I know what they have learned through their education.
My knowledge has been tested by experts in my field.

I am not saying you can't do it, but doing it all on your own is choosing a worse solution and you limit your options to advance.

>computer
>science

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Science

There are guys with religious studies majors that have learned to program on their own and landed SE jobs.

Maybe you should go get arrested for trying to defend yourself with a butter knife commonwealth faggot.

discrete math master race
our degree was basically CS with the math left in