/hpg/ - Headphone General

>/Hpg/ Pastebin:
pastebin.com/u/hpg

Please put some effort into your requests and questions and keep shilling to a minimum.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfeed
innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioM1Mk12012
innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioM1Mk12012.pdf
ebay.com/itm/48V-DC-Phantom-Power-Supply-For-Condenser-Recording-Microphone-US-Power-ED-/132038524415?hash=item1ebe1bfdff:g:DasAAOSwZQRYVtrE`
audiobudget.com/product/boarseman
youtube.com/watch?v=Y_fd3PzoTeY
asa.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1121/1.4984044
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>listening to music on headphones without crossfeed
>ever
Crossfeed kinda eliminates the point of soundstage. Soundstage is only good for virtual surround sound gaming.

>crossfeed
Eww.

I find that it sounds more natural and reduces listening fatigue. Different strokes.

What's crossfeed and how do I use/enable it? Google didn't help much, am audiopleb.

I can understand some panning (50% or less) when listening to Amiga mods on headphones, because it can get ridiculous.
For actual recordings, or any synth that doesn't have such extreme limitations (4 hardware voices, either 2+2 left/right or 4 mono(bothsides)), panning does more harm than good.

Thinking about getting a bluetooth dac+amp to pair with my phone. Any recommendations (

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfeed
It's typically found in VST plugin implementation. The best crossfeed ever was made by Astralstorm at Changstar but it's no longer available anywhere on the net. However, I contacted Astralstorm a while back after I lost his crossfeed in a hard drive crash and he sent me it via email. I just emailed him and asked permission to post his crossfeed where people have requested it over at superbestaudiofriends. I'll post here if I get an OK or if he posts it himself. His crossfeed is the only one I've found that doesn't affect frequency response.
In the absence of Astralstorm's excellent crossfeed, just use BS2B. It produces a very mild treble reduction; gimme a sec and I can measure it for reference.

>bluetooth dac+amp
Literally what?

B2SB's affect on frequency response at default setting. I'm posting these so people can use B2SB in conjunction with a high shelf EQ filter to compensate.

C. Moy setting. These graphs are generated with the program VST Plugin Analyser.

An external dac with bluetooth support like the creative E3.

J. Meier setting. Foobar2k is a music player that can use VST plugins. For movies/anime, if using MPC-HC use ffdshow audio for its winamp plugin support; load VST plugins with the winamp plugin VST Host DSP 1.1.6 for Winamp. For mpv build mpv yourself with b2sb, which I think can be done.

Also, IIRC some mpv builds for linux come with b2sb already built in.

Anyone ever listen to these? I'm in the market for a pair of small, comfy on-ears. I also need something with a laid-back signature because I fried my ears listening to music too loud as a teen, and now anything else kills me.

innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioM1Mk12012
Holy fuck, how's that nigga going to seal consistently?

innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioM1Mk12012.pdf
I can't copy and paste very well

Wow thanks user, will try and see if I like it : )

Speaking of crossfeed, I remember TB Isone being a pretty convincing near field monitor setup simulator, but dropping it because it sounded like it affected frequency response too much. Here's what it does to FR with the Near-Field setup preset and its EQ set to flat. Fucking hell. I'm curious if fixing this with EQ will fuck up the HRTF implementation. I'll give it a try some time when I'm bored.

>inb4 deleted again

>Anime
Hi.
Go to hell.

Posted it in the wrong thread last time.

Now there's a headphone that'd be pointless to EQ.
There are lots of audio/headphone websites you can talk on which weren't explicitly created so their creator could talk about anime and manga with his friends. This isn't one of them.

Hi.
Go to hell.

Canadafag here but looking to get a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones under 150$ preferrably with a detachable cord.

Last pair were Sennheiser 280s and after 1.5years the cord has waned and they're starting to go.

deadass what would be the highest amount of money that would still be worth spending on a set of open cans if you are just going to use 256k aac?

Bit rate is irrelevant

oh please

there ain't no way you're gonna make use of the Orpheus or sr009 with iTunes.......wouldn't it be a waste?

Time to use lossless codecs then :^)

No. First off most audio codecs are audibly transparent nowadays. Secondly, even if you were using files of poor quality they'd still sound better on a good pair of headphones.

380 Pro

Are they comfy? Seems like a really weird build, I got a giant head so I'm a bit worried they wont fit comfortably.

>Pointless to EQ
Not necessarily, the plots don't tell us that. Variance on Tyll's dummy head does not translate into variance on real ears. Tyll purposefully reseats the headphones multiple times into different positions which might not be the case in practical use. This is done to verify seal(how it might or should look like) and to average out the treble range. Compliance, shape and protrusion of the dummy head's pinnae combined with ear cup adjustment, ear pad material and ear pad shape causes variances which are not representative of real world. Dummy heads tend to perform the worst on supra-aural models, too.

It could be very consistent in use but you can't use the plots to EQ.

There is absolutely no correlation like that. Not between money and sound quality or codec and headphone sound quality. Artifacts from lossy data compression are distinctively different from headphone performance. 256k AAC is very high fidelity and should achieve transparency easily. Whether it does or doesn't is down to the skill of the listener, not a feat of the headphone used to listen or money spent. Worth is not up to others to say.

Pads look pretty big and thick. The headband extention goes pretty far. If you liked the 280 Pro's comfort, these would probably be on par or better.

Thoughts on this?

ebay.com/itm/48V-DC-Phantom-Power-Supply-For-Condenser-Recording-Microphone-US-Power-ED-/132038524415?hash=item1ebe1bfdff:g:DasAAOSwZQRYVtrE`

Alrighty. Was eyeing the AKG K240's instead. They seem pretty good, reviews are neat, its half-open, but its also half the price.

I just got some soundmagic E10s, all the eartips apart from the double tipped longer one have almost no bass at all

Do I have autistic ears that need the tips to go in a bit further or is that just normal

>Anime
Go to hell.

Commonplace problem for cheap in ears and the tips they come with. Bass level is a good indicator of proper fit. There should be plenty on the E10s.

Comfiest closest I've worn. They sound good, too, and the cable is detachable.

Idol trash reporting in.
What's your setup, user?

guess i'll wear the ones with bass then

weird how almost all of them don't fit me properly

>Budget
$200AUD (about $150USD) slightly flexible
>Location
Australia
>Source
pc
>Type of headphone
full size over ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
don't really wanna cheap out on comfort but i don't know just show me what you got
>Past headphones
Corsair H2100, fuck wireless that was a mistake

also would like if the headset had a mic, but if its doesn't and its fairly cheap i might consider

>Budget
$70 USD is my absolute maximum ($50 and above is pushing it)

>Location
Northeastern US

>Source
Android smartphone and laptop

>Type of headphone
IEMs

>Comfort level
Not TOO uncomfortable (I want to wear them on my bus ride to work and maybe around the house)

>Sound signature
I listen to a variety of stuff, a lot of it non-music (podcasts, reviews, etc), so neutral or balanced (I don't know the difference between these two) could work. However, as for music, I tend to listen to metal, hard rock, and Eurobeat along with a mix some other electronic stuff. I'm not sure what the ideal signature(s) is/are for that.

>Past headphones
I used a pair of Klipsch S3 IEMs for the past 3 years until recently. The left one started becoming quiet first until everything was barely audible from it, then the right one became the same all of the sudden a few days later (all of this happened over the past 2-3 weeks). I currently use a pair of Sony MDR-XD200s (around-the-ear) around the house.

Built-in mic and/or volume controls are optional, but preferred.

Small included carrying case also strongly preferred (the zipper on my third-party carrying case for my Klipsch S3s is FUBAR, so any excuse for me to stop using that case is more than welcome).

Wireless/Bluetooth not recommended because I don't trust those models to have good sound and/or build quality. Plus, Bluetooth might make music skip/pause for a split second before resuming (I already sometimes have this problem on my phone when playing back music from my SD card, I don't want to make it worse).

Sennheiser HD380 Pro.
>headset
No. See FAQ @op.

Would anyone recommend these? Audio Technica BPHS1

How about chinkshit?
audiobudget.com/product/boarseman
I have both the CX98 and KR49i. The CX98(S) are neutralish bright, idk if brightness is a problem but i do enjoy metal/rock on them quiet a bit. For EDM etc. they may lack bass but what bass is there is of good quality.
The KR49i are more or less the opposite. V-shaped, slightly loose bass but overall still good. Metal/rock are good on them, EDM etc. obv. better since muh bass.
CX98(S) come with a small carrying case while KR49i has a one button remote. All are well within your budget and cost $15-30.

Just get a boom pro and good headphones with a detachable cable.

Recommend any in the 150-250 euro range?

Open or Closed Headphones? Personal preference and why?

Are open headphones fine or do you require isolation?

Open when practical. They sound more natural and the bass response is significantly less resonant.

I would prefer closed but it doesn't really matter all that much.

Open will sound much better. I know it's under your price range, but I'd recommend getting an HD558 and using the following instructions to attach a BoomPro to it: youtube.com/watch?v=Y_fd3PzoTeY
There were historically ~$150 headphones but ever since they got discontinued they've gone down $60 or more in price. They're an incredible deal right now and sound almost identical to the HD598SR which are selling for $170 right now on Amazon.
>but can't I do better if I spend more?
Not really, at least in terms of headphones that can take a BoomPro, AFAIK. In any case, there is no correlation between headphone frequency response and price: asa.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1121/1.4984044

Thanks but that seems like too much hassle for my liking. I appreciate your help though.

Phillips SHP9500 then. You won't need to mod them to connect a BoomPro to them.

Thanks they might just work.

Look into:
* HD579, 599, 598se/sr, 558
* k702

I don't think K702 can take a BoomPro.
I just realized that Sennheiser PC360 Special Edition is at a really good price right now. I think these should have HD558/598 drivers in them, so they should be pretty good, and it comes with a mic.

>I think these should have HD558/598 drivers in them, so they should be pretty good, and it comes with a mic.
I'd investigate that before spending a cent. Never just assume.

I fell for the Phillips Fidelio X2 me me.

The HD598SR is a good option if you must have a mic.

Sennheiser PC360 had HD555/595 drivers in them. I'd assume the newer special edition has either the same or probably HD558/598 drivers. Either would be acceptable.

Not sure if I want to fall for the chinkshit meme, but I'll check them out. Also for non-chinkshit I might look at the SoundMAGIC E10 (there's a version called the E10C with an inline mic, but it seems to be less reliable than the regular E10) and the Audio Technica ATH-IM50.

Didn't even know that was a thing. Where the fuck is the mic?

Keep in mind the drivers aren't the only factor to FR.
Above everything, never trust headphone makers. The actual good headphones/cost are so few when compared to the available options at any price bracket, it makes all the sense in the world to be paranoid.

From amazon:
Two cables provided - a 3 meter cable terminated with a 1/4-inch jack and 1.2 meter cable terminated with a 3.5mm jack that features an in line one button remote with microphone for taking calls.
So I understand the cable has, near the headphone, some module which includes a mic.

Ah. I bet you'd sound distant as shit with that compared to a regular headset mic/boompro right in front of your mouth.

DONT BUY THIS SHIT
Pads will be destroy with one mounth

What's your preferred sound signature, /hpg/? Mine is essentially an ER4S or the Harman target with flat bass instead of boosted bass.

Balanced, with U-shaped in a close second place.

>Anime
Go to hell.

U-Shaped with more emphasis on treble than bass, maybe even bright.

I think this might be the most objectively incorrect subjective opinion I have ever seen.

>Trying too had to say "you're wrong"

(you) didn't bother posting your preference to go with your trash opinion. Try again.

What are some good closed, on ear headphones at $100 or less? Looking for something to use when running/cycling/gymming and I hate IEMs. I'm currently using the AKG K512 but they're too bassy, the cord is really short and they sit too tightly on my head. I just want something flat since I listen to all kinds of music

Don't know if I should post in here or /csg/ but I just got an urbanfun and it's fucking amazing holyshit

>AKG K512
Fug, I mean the K518

>good
>closed
>on-ear
>$100 or less

Thanks for the input, I'm going to use my K712 when I'm out running, you sure sound like you know what you're talking about

Beyer Custom Street/Custom Street i

Noontec Zoro II HD is the best you'll be able to do. It's a bit bass heavy and treble light, though.

And if you increase the budget to $150?

Is there any particular reason that you specifically want closed for running?

To not leak sound when I'm at the gym

ok let me save everyone in this thread a few posts, someone is going to reply with "anime website" then you'll reply with some retort, then people will post images about how Sup Forums was created and aimed at a userbase who enjoys anime. Let us move on now

Sennheiser HD 25/ 25 1-II

here. I actually think is probably a better suggestion upon further review. This measurement is really good; this website's compensation curve usually leads to a peak at around 5-6k with accurate headphones like the HD600, so I wouldn't say the peak here represents excessive treble.

Both of these look pretty good, I might go with the Beyerdynamics though since they look more rugged and I won't have to worry about being rough on them since they're cheaper. I already have different headphones for when I'm out and about, these are just for running/cycling/gymming.

The Beyerdynamics (set to the middle bass setting) look more accurate to me than the Sennheisers based on the measurements.

Honest to God question, what's the point in buying super expensive headphones when mid-priced cans can perfectly emulate them through equalizer adjustments?

I ask because I'm wearing a pair of 40 dollar JVC HA-RX700's that sound pretty damn great with audio adjustments, and to me they're far superior to my ATH MH50X's and MDR6's.

There is none. People suffering from post purchase rationalization will try to convince you that inaudible things are actually audible but they're incorrect.

Take your pick(s): materials, aesthetics, fit/finish, not wanting to EQ to achieve a particular tonality, bragging rights or confidence in a brand/model's reputation.

It's just personal preference, really. You are also assuming that you can accurately reproduce the target sound 100% though simple EQ, which likely isn't true. Could you get it close enough that most people wouldn't know the difference? Probably.

If someone thinks that it's worth it, they'll spend the extra. If not, save that money.

Wouldn't hurt you to try HD600.

There is none, anything past HD600 territory is diminishing returns

>schiit stack
someone got memed

I love my schiit stack, user. It's the schiit.

Why not get the combined amp and dac
If you say the sound quality is superior then you're a retard

The Magni family is good Schiit if you need the extra power over the Fulla2. (Insert inevitable discussion about if HD600 needs more power than a Fulla2 can provide) He got memed hard by the Modi, though; it won't sound any different than the $29 Sabre Tiny.