F-Droid lead quit today.

forum.f-droid.org/t/so-long-farewell-and-goodbye/600

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

FREE SOFTWARE DOESNT PAY THE BILLS

Evil always wins

ITS NOT FAIR I GOOGLED ANDORID BROS

F-droid has been abandonware for years. Just open the descriptions for basically anything and you'll see that the last update for most apps was in 2014 or even earlier. Developers have become sensible enough to upload everything just to the Playstore, because the 1000 losers who don't have Google PlayServices installed aren't enough all the trouble to maintaining to repositories.

aren't worth *

what makes me the most mad about this post is that you used a realistic number instead of hyperbole so i can't pretend you're full of shit

Play store builds aren't reproducible - you don't know if an "open source" app has hidden, user-hostile changes in the apk version on the store.

F-droid built all apps, from source, in an isolated environment and with user-visible build logs, that you can repeat yourself. It's just more trustworthy.

>You're a loser unless you make your phone apart of a corporate botnet
really makes me think.......

there was a time some months ago when I saw plenty of new apps and updates, depends of what were you using

>F-droid built all apps, from source, in an isolated environment and with user-visible build logs, that you can repeat yourself. It's just more trustworthy.
a lot of work for nothing, can't blame the guy for quitting.

Except, you know, there are applications that you can find on F-Droid that aren't available in the Play Store because they violate Google's ToS. I'd rather use F-Droid to let those applications auto-update from a known repository, than manually have to update those from their respective githubs.

It's over, Android is finished.

brb flashing Sailfish OS

Symbia or Sailfish OS will rise.
Or both

Symbian the proprietary OS that has been dead for nearly a decade?

Time to make Sup ForumsentooMobile
>Runs on any mobile device, bypasses QC/MTEK driver BS
>Universal ISO (maybe 2 or 3 ISOs for chip architecture but that's it)
>2 UIs: Graphical UI based on Wayland and Terminal UI with onscreen keyboard
>Pacman, Emerge or Aptitude, Ubuntu Mobile Apps and Symbian App ecosystem built in.
>Optional support for Google Botnet APKs (this will mean F-Droid or similar app manager)
>Support tactile screens and physical keyboards (like from PRIV, KeyOne...)
>option of using open source binaries or botnet binaries
>built in internet/gps/cellular killswitch
>support for OTG keyboard, mouse, screen
>support desktop pacman packages
>Support for KDE Plasma Mobile

Someone make this a reality

The only dead thing here is your parents.

>Sup ForumsentooMobile
>onscreen keyboard

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android

This is it. the dream
>Nexus 6 WIP
oh man

we just need someone to "Develop a solution of Wayland based on Android graphic drivers based on libhybris, preferrably sharing framebuffer with Android."

Everything else works fine, it's fun having a mini gentoo on your phone

DELET

What will happen to Clover?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand
nothing valuable was lost.

but thats what Yalp store and APKUpdater is for nigger

I would buy this immediately

Yeah, I noticed the store app is dead and couldn't fetch updates.

>A lot of work
It's an automated build system.

was the new UI really necessary?
it's pure shit
i will never update fdroid again

You can't, their server is shutting down :^)

Screen protectors see a mistake.

Shit sucked ass anyway

>update repository
>its 3mb
>takes 2 hours to download

lmao, destined to fail

That or otherwise enjoy your battery sucking botnet

>Yalp Store
No battery sucking or botnet here

f-droid is great for apps like osmand and lightning that on play store aren't free

i don't think yalp can do that.

Time to switch to a dumb phone.

Lightning is free in general. Dev is just moneyhungry on play store. Fdroid doesn't have the latest version, but you can compile it yourself.

Yalp isn't a competitor to fdroid. It's a complementary thing mainly for nonfree software.

An example of this is how yalp is on fdroid.

it's automated you dumb fuck

Well this ruined my day. As a daily F-Droid user this has me quite concerned. I am questioning whether those interested in FOSS are destined to whither away in an ever shrinking echo chamber.

So is F-Droid kill or will someone take over?

>whether those interested in FOSS are destined to whither away in an ever shrinking echo chamber.
Yes, for sure. Walled gardens and proprietary garbage are the future. FOSS often suffers from chronic usability problems, and to somebody who doesn't care about software freedom (that's most users), those usability problems are all they see.

Not kill, but they do need new contributors.

>brb flashing Sailfish OS
Just waiting for the xperia xzs support

>just waitâ„¢
How long?

Reason for this is Android is essentially a dead platform. Jewggle is rolling out their new Fuchsia kernel soon and completely dumping GNU all together so they can make walled devices. The nail in the coffin was the last few releases of Android, they are wholly proprietary so why even bother at this point to pretend you can run a 'free' phone.

It's dead Jim

I like the idea of Sailfish but in practice it is unusable. No global cut and paste, looking at any webpage is like pulling teeth it's so slow and buggy (with missclicks galore), the phone randomly resets and shuts off and nobody knows why, and virtually ever app crashes. It's where smartphones were 9 years ago basically prototypes.

What we can do is:
- build minimum android build on Nexus devices until they cut all support for it
- build our own apps it takes seconds to do so, write a script that looks for git updates then manually check them to make sure it's not "when Onclick this, send all passwords to China".

Or just go buy a pajeet tier feature phone

This.

What to use for a free phone?

There are no free phones.

Sailfish's GUI is proprietary.

So, is this it? Is this the death of f-droid?

I need this, like, right now

Read the link, it says nothing of the sort.

It's anounced for the xperia x for end of june.. making a wild guess here and say december

Sry, quoted the wrong one

>no retractable solar panels to revive a deal battery

Why the fuck isn't there a linux distro for android yet? That's all I want/need.

termux (fdroid)