I need a computer that can be used as a desktop for 90% of the time, but is also a laptop for traveling...

I need a computer that can be used as a desktop for 90% of the time, but is also a laptop for traveling. Why shouldn't I get this beautiful puppy, with a dock and monitor?

Currently using a 2010 iMac and a 2011 Macbook Pro and I've simply had enough.

Other urls found in this thread:

laptopmag.com/articles/upgrade-ssd-macbook-pro-retina-display
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>surface laptop instead of surface book

why would you do that to yourself?

Cheaper, have absolutely zero interest in owning/using a tablet. Why would I pay more for a feature I neither would use or want?

>glued soldered unupgradeable piece of shit
get something like a W520 or W530 with a quad core upgradeable processor and a docking station like a real man

Why have you "had enough"?

Anyway you shouldn't get it because if(or when) any of the parts fail, including the battery, you have to throw it out.

>T560
Price: $1,367.99

2015 13" Macbook Pro or die

>2 hour battery life
>100 degrees celcius if you watch a youtube video
>soldered trash

No thanks.

>2 hour battery life
No
>100 degrees celcius if you watch a youtube video
The fan won't even turn on just from video, granted I have a 2016 model but still no.
>soldered trash
like the surface book? At least you can replace the SSD and battery in a macbook, you know the parts that will inevitably need replacing long term.

>b-but mactoddler

the new surface pro is the world's first disposable laptop, not designed to be repaired, but replaced

This.

It's literally macshit with a different logo.

Do Macs not exist in your universe?

>t. mactoddler

Uhh

>$680
>$40 for extended battery
>20h battery life actual use

God bless IT budgets and retard upper management that have forced IT budgets to work the way it does now.

Granted I've only owned like 1 pre-built Windows computer and 2 Macs, but I've literally never had a part "die" on me. Is this really a thing that happens?

>*tips 1366x768 TN screen*

Having serviced thousands of laptops, the most common failures on laptops in order is:

1. HDD/SSD
2. Wifi module
3. USB
4. Display (failure, not user damage)

1 and 2 are easily fixed fortunately on most laptops. Macs go straight to the garbage for any problem 1-4.

Don't you have a designated street you need to be shitting at Sanjay?

Why would a SSD die? Is there any preventative measure that can be taken to avoid that?

Technically you are meant to replace the battery in a laptop every 2 years, some say 1. They inevitably degrade over time and eventually funny things happen like inflation, exploding etc. If it's a desktop you won't have this problem.

SSDs also fail inevitably after a number of years depending on usage, but a lot of people replace them before then.

Keep in mind when people say the Surface Laptop isn't repairable they don't mean by yourself, they mean period. You cannot fix this thing if it breaks unless you are some literal microsoft engineer with glue. With the Macbooks you simply can't replace the SSD yourself very easily, although it's actually still doable from what I hear.

They could get away with not having the SSD replaceable but the battery makes it

>after a $300 upgrade
Fuck of Rajesh.

>although it's actually still doable from what I hear.
lmao

>being this poor

SSDs literally just wear out. There is nothing you can do. They inevitably just fail, that's why you always need to have a back up.

laptopmag.com/articles/upgrade-ssd-macbook-pro-retina-display

It is replacable. If not easily by the user it can be replaced by Apple. Good luck getting any support for a surface when it fails.

>it's ok when apple solders ssds
>it's the end of the world if ms does the same

This is how delusional mactoddlers are.

>proprietary trash connector
>only place to get a replacement is pay $800 for a 128GB drive from applel

>only place to get a replacement is pay $800 for a 128GB drive from applel
Even if this was true it's better than the Surface

>b-b-b-but look how macshit is just a tiny infinitesimally less shit than surface trash

I feel sorry for you pathetic fruit religion zealots. You're so stuck in your "holy war" against "M$" you can't even see how much shit you're eating. You literally wallow in a pit of shit along with MS while we all laugh at you.

Hey faggot, did you forget what this thread this is? Of course I am going to compare other laptops to the surface you fucking retard.

>god-tier keyboard (for a laptop)
>god-tier trackpad
>god-tier display

How can winfags compete?

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

show me one (1) place where anyone brought up the shitshow that is the surface book in this thread

haha wait a second you can't because you only know how to repeat the same three talking points for (you)s guaranteed, just like the "t. mactoddler" guy gets from one of you fuckwits every time

I've changed fairly recent macbook batteries out and various other parts from coffee damage, it's a pain but possible
looks like the new surface laptops are designed to not not repairable

What is even the OP's image? Granted not a "surface book" but a surface laptop, but are you even reading the thread?

Also try quoting the right thing.

hell yeah a rossmann video

I'm sorry but these things are beyond sexy. If they ever made one of these with thunderbolt it'd be perfect.

razor blade pro

Can't wait to pick one of these up for $1000 in a few years.

Anyone got a recommendation for a laptop to use a s a CAD workstation? I would need an i7, at least 16gb ram and some sort of Quadro.

Precision with i7-6000 generation CPU.

Who the fuck needs a 32GB memory on a laptop

Are you running several games at one time??

Get a Latitude or ThinkPad with a real dock.

Do you have this pasta on a hotkey or something? Jesus fuck you're obnoxious

Speaking of hardware that's dropped like a rock in price over a couple years, the early Chromebook Pixels are going for pennies now. I'd have picked one up already if it didn't sound like it was difficult to get an actual operating system running, plus I doubt there's much room to change anything hardware-wise

I like this one a lot.

Cheap and upgradable. Easily add more ram for cheap.

12 hour battery life. (I own one, it is more around 10 hours on classic Sup Forums shitposting)

Comes with a M.2 slot for future SSD upgrading.

It's no thinkpad, but it is a good price for a cheap new laptop.

Are there any charging bays for the 68+ batteries?

>surface
why would you ever get a dual core in 2017?

Why would you need more than that in a tablet?

Just get a thinkpad

botnet, get libreboot thinkpad and gentoo or winfag

Lenovo Y520

Thank you user
Nice infographic

Any modern laptop can be plugged into a monitor, if you want to use it for gaming you'd have to spend more and get something featuring Thunderbolt 3.

Very good choice, these are reliable computers.

I personally would choose one with an IPS screeen and with SSD instead of HDD

These are the only good answers here OP.

I guess this would be as good a thread as any to ask. Are the new Thinkpads as Linux-friendly as the 4/530 series and older? How do the newer Latitudes compare?

Using a higher-end model of this line right now. It's pretty reliable and has a good quality hard disk. Not a fan of chiclet keyboards, but it's passable. The only real gripe I have is with the atrocious trackpad, but I've disabled it and mostly use a USB mouse anyways.

That said, if you ever plan to upgrade your computer yourself, it's a bad choice. They are designed to use space as efficiently as possible, so it's a huge hassle to get inside the thing, and even if you do, you'll need specific tools to avoid stripping screws and causing permanent damage and it will take a good while to get where you want to be. Mine has an M.2 socket on the underside of the motherboard, so the entire computer has to be pulled out of the case just to get at it and install an SSD, as there is no underside access. If you don't mind paying some store to install things for you then this should be fine.

>15.6" FHD ComfyView

Why would I replace my MBP battery if it is still reading 90% design capacity? Battery is 2 1/2 years old

This pasta was proven wrong so many times that it's not even funny anymore.
It just means that you are retarded .
So hello retard ;').

>Technically you are meant to replace the battery in a laptop every 2 years, some say 1
What fucking retard told you that?
My Surface 3 holds 92% charge and it's more than 2 years old, has done over 400 cycles.

The only laptops I used with such shitty battery durability are Dells from the mid 2000s.

With most modern laptops with Li-Po batteries, you bet you can get 1000 cycles easily.

Shill harder you pathetic retard.

get a thinkpad with a dock

There used to be a time laptop batteries degraded in like 1-2 years, to basically hold no charge at all

People remember that time very well.

>buy Surface Laptop for $1,300
>better Surface Laptop comes out a year later
>sell old Surface Laptop for $800-900
>buy new one for $400
>rinse repeat

Tell me why this isn't a good idea? Sure you have to put a lot of money up initially, but you get an upgraded laptop every year for cheap. No worrying about outdated parts, upgrading parts or stuff dying.

This goes for anything. But 1300 the first year and $400-500 isn't actually cheap. Especially for a weak machine for surfing and typing. If you even can get that much for a used one, which I doubt.

Get a desktop

Then get a cheaper laptop and use remote desktop / dropbox (whatever you want)

>expecting surface devices to have mac like resell value

Its just so good for note taking.. if they sold a screen that used the pen but required a seperate pc I'd buy that next time

It may be disposable as you cannot repair it..

But in my case, I've been using it 3 straight years and shit doesn't degrade at all. Battery feels like new

I'd be surprised if it didn't last 8-10 years

Because you can literally get an X1 carbon or T470 which will be a significant better computer, and it won't devalue half as much as a disposable surface book after a year.

He's had enough with the MacBook and now he's looking to downgrade to that dual core piece of shit called Surface.

WannaCry ?

If I were to get a laptop I'd get the newest XPS 13 nothing else. But I see this meme constantly popping up and it's kinda bullshit, the only things that hold up to be true in this picture are the shitty cords (yes they do wear easily) and the new CEO being a retard. This picture just shows some cherry picked faulty devices, in fact any device with a lithium battery has a risk of exploding and potentially harming the user. Overheating is something that only happens in some models (and I've even read most notebookcheck reviews); the battery life being less than expected mostly comes from someone upgrading a older model to the latest OSX version.

I recognize those thighs.
S2 never ;_;