Other urls found in this thread:

recode.net/2016/3/30/11587388/nest-2015-sales-budget
youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec
twitter.com/AnonBabble

smoke detector needs to shill the fuck out

Why tho.

It's only 30 dollars in bitcoins...

That broom is savage af

I didn't even use the Nest my power company gave me. Figured programming a schedule in my old one is easier than installing and programming that bullshit.

These things used to be run by 8 bit microcontrollers with a 4MHz clock that works boot instantly, no OS. Never lags always responds. But that is hard work in C.

Now it's a 64bit 1GHz monster running loonix x. Takes a minute to boot, randomly lags.

Progress.

It's progress for the lazy ass developers.

What the fuck is that thing even supposed to be?

Literally megaman battle network 3 villains

shit dude youre right

c or assembly?

a little more rom ain't that expensive nowadays

A NESTâ„¢ wi-fi enabled thermostat

When you've got 16K program memory assembly is a waste of time. C has really good optimizers and you can inline assembly whenever it's needed.

intradasting

>But that is hard work in C.
You mean assembly...

>When you've got 16K program memory assembly is a waste of time. C has really good optimizers and you can inline assembly whenever it's needed.
>he thinks C is only used because memory restrictions
kek, gotta love Sup Forums nowadays

People are ok with being spied on and having a security risk in exchange for not having to set up a thermostat schedule.

yeah, people are cattle, soon it will be against the law to not allow this shit in your home, just a matter of time

programmer laziness
it's only getting worse, just look at how people are now trying to shoehorn fucking javascript of all things into systems programming territories

Fucking fireman hacking ur moms oven

My cousin has one. I don't think he really knows what it does

I'm browsing Sup Forums and I don't know what it does either

>one day our sons will jack into electronics and send badass alter egos to fight hackers and save sluts

based cspcom had visions of the future

More like this, please.

I think it's a thing targeted to stupid american boomers. There is literally no point in a device like that other than feeling techno-hip. The internet of things thing is a scam in 99% of cases.

There is a twitter account dedicated to such things, it's called Internet of Shit.

>Boomers
They don't care about internet thermostats. They're getting old and want shit that just works.

my friend has one. It's good if say you are on your way home from work and you want the AC on so your room is cool by the time you get there.

Does NEST make any money?

isn't this on the camaro or some other burgermobile?

If only I could jack into my oven and fight some hacker's navi, while the oven burned my face off. This is the worst timeline.

I can think of several good reasons to deny a shift.

Nest was founded by ex-Apple people in 2010.
Nest was acquired by Google in 2014 for $3.2bn.
Nest's founded resigned in 2016, probably after his 2-year contract with Google expired.

He is probably a billionaire.

"security"

>"muhh dystopian future"
kill yourself lad

That truly does not answer the question. Why do I have a feeling NEST has yet to make a single dollars worth of profit?

Does NEST make money from what it sells (data or hardware Idc)?

Can't find info online.

I am pretty sure it's for emissions, which is not one of the 'several good reasons to deny a shift'

Google makes tens of billions every year by selling your information to advertisers, who pay good money to target the right people with their google ads.

Nest hardware may never be profitable, but Google can use the data it collects from Nest, in combination with all of its other services, to sell ads that target you even better in the future.

it feels like im taking crazy pills here
>inb4 user thinks he knows better than a multibillion dollar company in investments

but what the fuck is going on, we all know our data isnt worth shit, a successful online advertising campaign by a well known brand is 1% click rate, snapchat isn't fucking worth billions and neither is instagram how the fuck does nest get bought for 3 motherfucking billion dollars (), makes no fucking profit, and everyone expects it to be a brilliant business deal??

>recode.net/2016/3/30/11587388/nest-2015-sales-budget

says NEST managed to break thru the 300million in profit, by consulting three anons who "are in the know", only after having bought a company called dropcam

it feels more and more everyday that the entire basis for the internet is built on fucking air, no wonder they been calling it the motherfuckng cloud

Simple, it needs to connect to the cloud to work. That's, like, weather 101, dude.

Google makes huge amounts of money from selling ads, but the question is who pays for those ads?
In truth, the web as a whole is competing with TV for a slice of the advertising budget. TV was king for years, but the web is eating into the pie year after year.

So who pays for those ads? It's mostly gigantic conglomerates that have a specified "marketing budget" annually that must be spent, and if someone says otherwise, he is the antichrist and must be silenced.

If P&G or Coca Cola or Samsung wants to spend untold billions of its budget on Google, Facebook and shitty TV shows, no one is going to stop them. The decision was taken by a board of Very Smart People and there are entire sections of the company dedicated to that stuff - full of executives, managers and thousands of wagecucks. Upsetting that would be suicide.

If you want to see how unnecessary those marketing budgets are, compare the numbers for Apple vs Samsung, or Donald Trump vs Hillary.

>I am pretty sure it's for emissions, which is not one of the 'several good reasons to deny a shift'
No you dumb shit, it's an auto tranny with "manual" override option, look up Tiptronic or some other silly marketing names for it. It's still automatic but lets you change gears manually with buttons on the stick or steering wheel paddles so you can feel a little more like a real man while driving your soapbox. It does however have rev floor and ceiling protection and will deny shift or shift up/down automatically so you don't flame out or burn shit trying to speed up on freeway in 1st.

You can now go ahead and start memeing about manual vs auto transmissions to damage control but the fact is you're fucking wrong about this one.

Pic related, in some models you can also shift the stick to the right in Drive and then tip it up/down to change gears, it's fully electronic control though.

Fucking TOLD

>In truth, the web as a whole is competing with TV for a slice of the advertising budget.

I do understand that user, I do. And i am only going on fee fees here, but I'd wager that a single shitty TV ad has a stronger ROI(which can never be measured) than any multi million dollar campaign on google or facebook.

And you know this, a successful click rate for an ad campaign online is 1%, fucking one percent, a fucking outdoor poster is more effective. There is no way in hell our data is worth anything to advertisers, the only people our data is worth something to are intelligence services world around, Russia, USA, Israel, UK, China. No one else could give a shit, it feels like the entire internet is propped up by these intelligence agencies, theres no other explanation.
>spend that money on marketting on the facebook and the internet thingies

I get that point to, I can see that part of the cake would have to come from those execs who are clueless, but fucking snapchat was valued at 29 billion dollaridoos for fucks sakes

They used to be mechanical, in fact mine still are

>the only people our data is worth something to are intelligence services
What? It's even less important to them. Consumer data is most important for product development and targeting.

Learn to read you fucking waste of a load.

Remember that 400+ dollar wifi connected juicer that Google gave like 100 million dollars to in funding?
And then people laughed at how stupid it was that you could literally just squeeze the juice packages for the exact same effect?
Fuck the internet of things

Mine is fully mechanical (bimetal) as well.

Works decently enough.

The only thing I would like is a "prediction" mechanism that switches off the heater BEFORE the desired room temperature is reached.
Because it always overshoots by several degrees and only gets stable after a couple of swings.
Do cheap electronic thermostats do this?

I've been replaying this game recently. The story would be so downright stupid at times but goddamn is the gameplay and post game content so good. 10/10 game

That's not a Camaro dash you dumbass bitch.

>If you want to see how unnecessary those marketing budgets are, compare the numbers for Apple vs Samsung, or Donald Trump vs Hillary.

This isn't evidence that money spent on marketing is unnecessary, just that there are more cost effective methods of marketing than others.

I work in online advertising, and the reason that data is so valuable is because it allows us to buy relevance. If we know what you are more likely to want, and we show you exactly that, you are more likely to spend some shekels.

The more data you have access to, the more cost effective it becomes.

>Google makes tens of billions every year by selling your information to advertisers
Google doesn't sell your information, it uses your information to sell ads. Big difference.

lmao nice

This

why do they keep making such ugly ass instrument clusters ?

Look at those numbers, each of them have a different orientation in respect to the driver.

The "9" and the "180" are almost upside down.
How do people defend this ? fucking "retro" garbage.

Cars for the Fisher Price generation.

>GM
they have a good history of questionable design choices

>speedometer on left
>tach on right
ew

youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec

That's the old Camaro, the new one looks like this.

looks like an elephant with huge square glasses

>windows ce
nice

1% of what? An outdoor has a 5% inquiry rate, let's say, but only 3000 max people see it a day. But an internet as can't get millions of views. 1% of 10 million is 100 000.

Alternatively you would end up with a rod in the side of the block. I'd rather have to look at a shift denied message.

Muh racecar

Actually you're both right so shut the fuck up you weeb. This was a feature on manual cars like the Corvette and Camaro that forced a 1 to 4 shift under certain acceleration and speed in order to meet emissions requirements. A bypass module could be installed on the transmission to remove the feature.

At least the speedo goes by 5 mph increments. Driving 35 mph in a Lexus is guesswork.

Huh, didn't know the gauges were powered by Nvidia.

Only cause AMD has no drivers.

Stop this fucking meme

It was a joke reply senpai, if anything nvidia drivers are worse these days

>People say this with a straight face

That's a problem with the automatic control system of your thermostat that's designed to have overshoot and then stabilize to the target temperature
You would need a new closed loop controller to have it gradually reduce temperature until target

Don't even need a microcontroller for PID

>it allows us to buy relevance. If we know what you are more likely to want, and we show you exactly that,
so your entire job is predicated on the fucking HOPE that I and other anons will spend real money, and you (or your company) is willing to spend real dollaridoos which will buy you some data that you can then turn around and buy HOPE with. Is that what you're telling me user? And this HOPE makes FB worth billions??

Whats the most successful ROI you have had on online advertising, personal exprience, please do fucking tell me this business model works. and for got sakes dont even say it was a multifuckingnational, because they dont even need advertising in the current world we live in.

>1% of what?
1% clicks for the amount of times the ad is shown, in other words.

For every 100 times the ad is shown, 1 person will click on it.

Clicks don't translate into sales this is known in research, look it up, the research that backs it up that clicks translate into sales is usually research done by google and facebook, who would have known. theres the one study done by ebay in which they decided online advertiisng was shit and they were going to cease spending dollaridoos on it.

Sure I will accept that some amount of exposure online will eventually translate into sales, some products/companies get lucky. I would safely bet that Sup Forums played a big role in the "autism toy" summer madness I am witnessing, was it organic or was it paid for shilling, probably mostly shilling.

However, that does not justify current valuations of billions of dollars for platforms that make nothing and can't even advertise to its users (twitter, vine) as a few examples. remember broadcast.com? yahoo fucking remembers. at some point we have to look at a company objectively and not put billions of dollars into hope, eventually this marketting model on which most of the internet is based on today is going to collapse when everyone sees how utterly useless of a ROI it has