Hacking a eBible

Hello Sup Forums I am in a need of help, I recently bought an eBible which is pretty much the Bible on a mp3 player and I've always wondered what will happen if I hack into it and just make it into just a mp3 player. So I took it apart and I believe I have found the brains but I need help on figuring out how to get this on a computer.

Uhh, does it have any other plugs? You might have to look for a unpopulated serial port. It looks super dumb though. You'll be disappoint.

Damn, that sucks. Thanks for the help anyways Sup Forums hopefully someday I'll find a way

No seriously, flip it over and take another snap. The side in the pic doesn't have anything interesting apart from mentioning an sdcard on the silkscreen.

>Hacking a Bible
Good luck in hell.

the big chip at the top is a 16Gbit (2GiB) flash memory chip
the blob at the bottom is an epoxy-covered chip (which could be anything

this has the same kind of components seen in an SD card, and the silkscreen even has "(sdcard)" written on it, so there's a chance it's literally just as SD card controller under the blob

Pls keep us posted, as to what you find under the blob!

Do you know what kind of os this thing is running?

-- basically what i'm saying is that if it IS just an SD card in a different form factor, you just need to work out the pinout (mapping the connector pins to SD card pins), then you could potentially read/write to that card, or replace it with a normal SD card

i very much doubt the card in the OP is anything more than a storage device

TLDR;
>need halp
>bought eBible
>took it apart
>Sup Forums help turn into mp3 player so i don't have to search for a cheap mp3 player?
>guys you can halp right?
use google/newegg/ebay/amazon/bestbuy/target/walmart to find a relatively cheap mp3 player that will even have a microsd slot. depending on where you go you could find 32gb -64gb micro sd's for around $20-$25 in the states.

I'll try to remove that black blob in the morning. I don't have the best tools so I'm gonna have to improvise.

do not do that
you will destroy the chip
you need special tools and expertise to decap a blobbed chip without destroying it

also, it won't tell you anything (at least not without a powerful microscope to see potential markings)

Dont remove that, you'll break it. Read the pins on the back, look for GND, RX and TX .

Anyway, you won't get far and I have a feeling there was other circuitry in this eBible that might be more interesting.

I assume the blobbed chip is the codec, or mcu. I mean flash and controller are the minimum you need, where is even the headphone jack though.

yea, this looks like it's got everything it needs besides storage

i'm placing my bets on the card in the OP being just an sdcard in a custom form factor (for some reason)

Are those pads near the bottom? Otherwise can you spot any labelled test pads?

This is the right circuit board, the other one is just memory + mcu.

the chip in the OP is flash memory, not ram
if he wants to put his own music on it, that's what he wants to mess with

The memory one is the one you want to modify to put custom music on it though.

Well I'm thinking of you want to put custom music on that flash chip you'll need to grab the datasheet and see what it can do.

Is there not a flash programmer that could be connected to that thing without needing to damage the chip? Regardless, such a piece of hardware is difficult to obtain (especially for cheap) and it's just not worth it to reprogram a 2GB memory chip and risk breaking firmware.