State the industry you work in, or what you write code for and the languages you know. Optional: OS

State the industry you work in, or what you write code for and the languages you know. Optional: OS

Job: Physicist
Languages: Python, Fortran and C++

full stack dev
java, typescript, python
arch

>physicist
>listing his languages as top tier
>feeling superior to real devs

top kek how much do you even make?

i'm full stack web dev, mostly back end.

java and javascript, occasionally stuff like Go, Python, Groovy, SQL. node is great honestly, if you don't like it then fuck you you probably don't "get" it.

software architect
in order of preference: rc, sh, js, lisp, Swift, C, ObjC, python, ruby, haskell
osx, openbsd, plan9
>php above node/ruby/js
>c++ in that category
chart was probably built by a tech illiterate/memer

oh and i forgot to mention I use macOS

one time a company gave me a windows laptop and i complained until they bought me a mac. took a couple months. but developing on windows is FUCKING awful.

full stack, dev op nigger rigger
Java/Spring, PHP, Typescript
*nix (distro hopper, Kubuntu at the moment)

>Calls himself a full stack developer
>Really only knows java
>Codes shitty apps for android that he charges 9.99 for
>No-one downloads them
>Insults people on the internet to preserve his fragile ego

that's a webdev for you

what does web dev have to do with android ?

i listed several languages besides java. but of course java is my main language. most of my time is spent developing APIs.

> eating the obvious b8

>Java
>API's
>"Full stack"

Nigger go home

kek
physicist is not a job

can you people read?

i said "mostly back end". sometimes i'm forced to write some front end code in some meme js framework.

>Fortran not in shit tier

neither is being a NEET shitposter

embedded system dev/tester
C, C++, Assembly, Ada, VHDL
windowns and debian

Still the fastest language for numerical calculations. Best parallelization. Pretty good readability. OOP since f03. All the supercomputers in the world have a lot of fortran, and the best scientific facilities also do

Job: Front-End and Back-end developer
Languages: PHP, Javascript

How I rate languajes:

Eldergod tier: C++, C, Haskell, Perl, Lisp

Good tier: Python, C#

OK Tier: Java, Objective-C, Visual Basic

Shit tier: PHP, Javascript, Ruby

Life is suffering.

None of that means it isn't absolutely abysmal to work with and work in.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I think you're doing something wrong, or you haven't use it beyond "hello world' if you think it's abysmal

Well, whatever you say. You are probably more willing to work with garbage than most people are.

robot engineer
mostly C++, but sometimes python.
Everything is linux as ROS is very popular.

Is it even possible to get one of those without an engineering degree?

I feel like without a degree you can only get a job as a web monkey

how do i become a front-end dev?

(i don't have a degree)

High Performance Computer Admin

bash, python, GNU make

Fedora in laptops, windows on workstation

Job: systems/infrastructure engineer
Languages: go, python, perl, nodejs, js, ruby

Pretty much all of the tooling I write at work is in python because no one I work with wants to learn anything better

learn javascript and then learn a framework like react or angular so that you can write meme single page apps

get a degree

probably not but idk
ive only been in the industry for maybe 5 years now but i've never met anyone who does "what i do" without a degree

wdg, infosec
php, js
linux ubuntu

Curious...
How much vhdl do you really do?
I loved to work with fpgas in school, but I don't know what scenarios they actually use them.

>full stack
not coding x86 assembly
you don't know full stack
kys famalam

Well at least here, if you say in the CV you are self-taught some will call you (others will not of course), but for Junior positions many will give you a chance to go through a test.

I.. do have a degree actually, but it is just a high-school tier technical degree in Informatics, plus a 4 month course in PHP, but I have a couple of co-workers in higher positions than I am that are 100% self-taught.

If you have no degree having personal projects to show helps a lot, but I seriously doubt that would be enough to get a job in embedded systems . . .

Some people I know also do freelance jobs, I never got into that but it could be a way to gain some experience, then you could show what you did for the clients in some interview.

I figured as much, this is what I get for not doing uni when I had the chance.

please put php in shit-tier

NEET (have a degree in mathematics)

Languages: Go, javascript, java

>you don't know full stack
tell that my employer :^)

very very rarely anymore, i kinda need to know it for when im testing such systems
much of vhdl development is for asic's, which is where fpga's are used as test platforms as well, but fpga's are used quite often still because of their ability to be reprogrammed
i've nearly only tested such for signal processing applications

its not too late to get a degree desu

You could have always install Linux you know? You're not doing anything OS specific. Fucking motherchod.

Yea, I assumed that the fpga development was leading to an asic design.

Another physicist here, it's true it's the fastest but it still belongs in the trash.
Hopefully will be replaced by Julia or some other more modern language in a few years.

He's a web dev, you can't expect that much

Professional meemer and gaymer (full stack)

RC, AWK, Scheme, C, JS, Elm, Haskell, Clojure, SQL.

Gentoo, Morpheus, OpenBSD, MINIX, 9front.

often it is but not always
an asic take incredible amounts of time to develop so theres a few areas where its deployed on an fpga instead if the time and cost isnt worth the """reward"""

Systems engineer / devops team
Languages: Python and Ruby

Explain why you think it shit tier? Julia is an interpreted language and will never be as fast by a long shot for big calculations. What other language could replace it, maybe C, but a new compiled language is what it needs. But then you'll won't have all that glorious legacy code

fixed

Data Programmer II. I manage and analyze clinical research data.

SAS, R, SQL. I am also learning Python 3 and Haskell.

Windows 7 Enterprise at work. Windows 10 at home.

F A T A L I T Y
A
T
A
L
I
T
Y

haha I love Sup Forums

C++ should be enterprise 2.0 I get 15% performance improvement tier. aka Java 2.0

> student practicing gamedev and networking
> Rust, go (switching go to python because go is shit)
> Fedora KDE

Job: High school student and part time developer
Languages: C++, Ruby, Python, JavaScript, Java. Sometimes Go, PHP and C# (anyone recommend good projects to contribute in those languages?)
OS: Arch on laptop and desktop and server. OpenELEC on RPI, Lineage on phone.

I did install linux but after all the time it took to set it up, X kept crashing and I ended up losing work and wasting time so I switched back to windows.

t. butthurt pajeet

job: medic
languages: C, Lisp

How old are u people?
30 virgin athletic here.

>Fortran not elder god tier
How about you go back to the engineering department?

>projection

>Job
NEET
>Languages
C, C++, Java, bash, Lua, x86, 68k
>OS
Linux

Student with parttime-job in webapp/backend

php (90%), html (5%), js/css (5%)

Win10

Can't get more typical than this.

That's why Ubuntu exists.

QA engineer
Automated testing frameworks for PHP; html/css/js (bare minimum that lets me knows what I'm doing with my tests)
Ubuntu at work, macOS at home

Didn't have any degree or experience in programming before this year, still google all day every day. Wish I've started learning earlier and I'm very glad I did the switch from manual to automated testing job.

>Network Security/Pentester
>Languages: Assembly, C/C++, Perl, Python, Ruby, JavaScript, PHP.
>OS: Debian, FreeBSD, Gentoo, Arch, Windows 7/10 (testing purposes only)

Job: Data Analyst + WebShit (mostly Databases/Backend)
Languages: Java, JavaSript, VBA, C, Ruby, Python
OS: Linux (whenever I can), MS Winblows (when the job requires it)

BTW:
Your picture makes no sense.

If you like Haskell, LISP and Perl, then you would probably love Ruby.

Also "Objective-C".. common, you put this so high because it has a "C" in it, right?

Dude, maybe you should actually use the languages instead of blindly repeating you favorite memes from Sup Forums..

Job: Web Dev
Languages: Perl and Javascript

Can other Perl users share their setups? I'm looking to add some sort of code completion/hinting to my workflow. I don't like needing to look at docs simply to figure out what arguments a subroutine takes or what sort of value it returns, if that sort of thing can be determined

Different guy, but I had to deal with X crashing on 12.04 and 14.04 all the time. Nvidia's proprietary drivers are trash

Isn't Julia almost at C speeds? Also can't you call Fortran code from it?

Junior Data Engineer, split between operations and tooling

Primarily use Python and a little bit of Go. Work with Puppet/Bash heavily. I'd like to get more involved in Go desu, especially for tooling.

Laptop that was provided to me is a newer Macbook, but Monday I'm putting in a request for a Thinkpad since I hate Macbooks and wasn't given a choice when hired.

If you can call fortran from it, why not use fortran? That's not a reason to replace it, you just adding another piece of garbage. Yeah it's almost C speed, on small things they have tested it on, nothing large with no parallel. And even so C is still slower than fortran. Fortran wins everytime

RF engineer
Java, C, Erlang
Fedora

job: still a student
Languages: java and python

job: system architect
languages: assembly baby

Student
Java
Debian

inb4 pajeet

Freelance