/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wMvyOGawNwo
github.com/i-rinat/apulse
flickr.com/photos/sujith-h/sets/72157611214967816/
github.com/mcrapet/plowshare-module-mega
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

install sourcemage

>get GANOOlinux booting on new Surface Pro
>type cover doesn't work
Well shit.

what's rms up to

At a job interview, they had a fucking personality profile of me ready. They knew my twitter handle, FB, YT channel, everything. Somehow knew about arrests, medical conditions, that my parents had divorced, past jobs I didn't put on the resume, and that I wasn't a property owner. I was fucking shook, and just left.

I realize now that I was the one who told (((them))). At least this interviewer decency not to hide that they knew all this.

I was a retarded normie who traded freedom for convenience. Stallman was completely correct.

I repent.

Why aren't you duel booting Arch vs Debian?

Is it possible/viable to build a new PC and run Linux as the host OS but also Windows as a guest OS with PCI Pass through for muh gaymes?

What GPU/CPU/etc should i look at for this?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Is it possible/viable to build a new PC and run Linux as the host OS but also Windows as a guest OS with PCI Pass through for muh gaymes?
yes, search the web for tutorials

He was always right and his predictions always turned to be right, even down to the one when he said companies will soon start to patent shit that never should've been patented (like apple trying to patent a movie shot with certain composition).

Better sooner than later.

He is drinking Pepsi now. Coca-Cola was being totalitarian again.

What does fglt think about non-Linux GNU systems like GNU+Hurd or GNU/kFreeBSD?

I don't like it when my distributions fight.

I deep down wished Hurd won. It's such a nice concept.

How can I download from Mega, without megatools? I want to use a raspi, and only have access to command line.

They give me a boner, but I haven't tried either of them.

Genuinely interested in trying out Hurd someday. Or even migrating, if a man can dream.

>GNU systems
Fine with me, though FreeDOS needs more love, and Hurd is what everybody hopes to use (me Included).

plowshare
plowdown

>uses the parentheses meme
No wonder you're an idiot.

uh excuse me they are called (((jew gates))) ty god bless

I want to play around with ssh, for learning, but I only have one machine, what do

omg thanks

wtf, plowshare has a mega plugin?

Redpill me on init's.

youtube.com/watch?v=wMvyOGawNwo

Programs should work with any init system.

this

So, now that the dust has settled ...
since Firefox forces pulse now, what do?

no.

>not using memes in a meme sewer
what's wrong with u haha tbqh fampai lol
do u even 9gag??

Support NetRunner motherfuckr

github.com/i-rinat/apulse

- SSH into your own machine, as your own user and as new users that you create.
- Set up virtual machines in your computer.
- Search the web for free shell providers.
- Realise that you do have more machines, and what you thought of as a phone/game console/media player/potato actually can run an SSH server or client.
- ????

thanks, maybe my router can ssh

apulse or use --disable-pulseaudio like a sane person

I don't know of any that have ssh in their default firmware, but if you can put openwrt or some other custom OS on it then you're going to have some fun. Plus you'll learn the differences between openssh and dropbear.

what's wrong with pulseaudio?

Nothing. For some reason some autists dislike software made by LP.

it was developed by pöttering and it was shit when it was developed by him.

>Being this retard to buy street shitter surface pro

is this rms at red hat or microsoft headquaters?

flickr.com/photos/sujith-h/sets/72157611214967816/

>Linux having no drivers means I'm retarded
ok, kid

>not writing your own drivers
lmao noob

>calling it "drivers"

>hardware doesn't work
>must be something other than drivers

>Microsoft product having drivers for anything other than Microsoft operating systems.
You're not the brightest poster out there are you

what's so hard about compiling software?
if you think is hard, please explain why you think so.

Its a pain in the ass to hunt down dependencies. I'm feeling like only 2% of all projects actually follow the INSTALL README LICENSE rule.

Nothing is hard about it.
People are just lazy.

Compiling now is no way like it was pre 00's.

Its wasting useless cpu cycles.

*ful

The one counterexample is server stuff. .NET, MSSQL, and PowerShell are on Linux, PSRemoting is being replaced with OpenSSHd and a VT100/ANSI convertible Windows shell, and MS wrote Linux drivers for Azure and Hyper-V. WSL exists to stop webdevs from switching to Ubuntu laptops.

MS is terrified of losing the hypervisor, cloud, and application wars. They already lost the server war.

I tried github.com/mcrapet/plowshare-module-mega
But fails with the message
meta-MAC mismatch
Failed inside mega_download() [1]

After that Ive use --ignore-crc switch to ignore meta-MAC mismatch but throws
chmod failed

What am I doing wrong?

I have set up the Breeze Dark theme on KDE, however the qBittorrent UI is still light, any idea why?

>try kubuntu for a week
>VMWare broke 3 fucking times
>VMWare doesn't connect to phones (which I need to work via iOS VM)
>For some unknown reason vmmon has been removed
Only good thing, make came implemented by default lmao.

It uses Qt4, which KDE5 doesn't theme. Try KTorrent or bug the qBittorrent devs for a rebuild against Qt5.

Thoughts in zsh/oh-my-zsh?

Thoughts on fish/oh-my-fish?

Zsh has some nice features. Oh-my-zsh is retarded bloat.

People switch to zsh either to be special snowflakes or because they see cool prompts like in OP pic or because they hear it has better completion (not true btw).
Most of them have no idea that the same look can be achieved with bash, that you can embed commands into your PS1 and they probably haven't heard of PS2, PS3 and PS4.
They haven't even heard of ~/.inputrc, they don't know how to add custom keybinds in bash, they don't know that you can change the editing mode of the interactive shell to be Vi-like.
They don't know about incremental search nor do they know about different completion settings.

Also, shell scripting in a non standard shell is pointless, since you still need to know POSIX scripting and in most cases bash, since it has more features than sh and unlike zsh it's everywhere.
If you want to use a sane language for scripting, use python or if you're writing a large script you might as well use a non interpreted programming language like C.

Zsh users are mostly ignorant impresionable people, hipsters of all sorts including nu-male macfag webdev sitting at starbucks types and most of them like to pretend to be cool for using a non standard shell while barely having scratched the surface of bash and I do not want to be associated with them in any way.
In order to make an informed decision about which shell to use, you've got to at least know the basics of both shells (and yes, the examples I mentioned above are basic stuff).
There might be valid reasons to use zsh, but most people certainly don't do it for valid reasons.

This is pasta btw

>better completion (not true btw).
But it does and i dont have to install 50 pearl extensions to get it and it only be half assed

I wish dash had autocompletion so I could ditch bash

Trying to install Ubuntu Server 14.04.5 from CD and I'm getting tons of errors at the start along the lines of
mount: mounting /dev/sda# on /media failed: Invalid argument
umount: can't umount /media: Invalid argument
This is the second try right now. On the first try after 3 of those messages I kept hitting ^C and Esc after which the setup continued as normal until I chose my keyboard layout; after the hardware detection it should go on to network settings but I never got there... just a purple screen with a white line across the bottom where I could type (but actually typing commands didn't do anything), which eventually turned into a black screen. Nothing after that.

Couldn't install desktop version from USB stick either because although the live system booted fine on my laptop, when I tried to boot it on the PC I just got a few minutes of straight beeping until I killed the power.

what font are you all using?

DejaVu fonts pretty much everywhere. They seem to work fine.

I've only used Ubuntu 16.04 on my laptop. If I install Debian 9.0 on it do I have to tweak anything for increased battery life?

be careful who you idolize Sup Forumsuys

Probably.
The fact that you didn't tweak anything on Ubuntu doesn't bode well. I'm fairly certain that your battery life will be better on Debian right off the bat

Does DE affect much? I've tried them all. Cinnamon and GNOME have had the best support for my multiple display/audio device setup but those might eat a ton of battery.

Yeah it does.

Nevermind. Shitty laptop. Trackpad doesn't work with Debian installer so I doubt it'll work with the real thing. Plus wi-fi firmware is not found (even if I use the firmware .iso). Guess I'll just keep Ubuntu on the laptop for now.

Is that Lennart?

I only came here to shitpost, i dont know what a lennart is, im in way over my head here, sorry guys, back to your kde vs genome bullshit. pbuy

Lennart Poettering is a child rapist, no news here.

We all only came here to shitpost

it was supposed to be a stallman

I always thought he is a free softwar developer.

When partitioning a drive for a pure GNU/Linux system: Do I make the /boot partition bootable, or not? (set the bootable flag or not)

yes

Lets make the worst program ever.

What features should it have?
- electron / nodejs based
- pulseaudio dependency
- systemd dependency
- permissive license
?

It honestly looks more like poettering to me

It should be a GUI alternative to an extremely easy to use *nix tool that takes like 3kB on the disc.

You don't have to have a separate partition just for /boot. But whatever partition DOES have /boot should be made bootable.

electron with a c++ extension based on boost libraries.

frontend for wget?

- no licence
- no readme

This is a terribly near-sighted idea and you should be ashamed. What makes you think that most of the worst software projects that you can think of didn't start as a joke? It's all fun and memes, then someone decides to implement it ironically and puts it on github, and a few years later all major software projects have a hard dependecy on it.

is poettering the guy that farted on twitter if you werent a femenist or some shit?

Add a reward/archivement system.

Is it at all possible to get an older version of saved file in GNU/Linux?

I really fucked up when working on a digital painting in Krita, accidentally pressed a keyboard to crop the painting and didn't realize it until hundreds of steps later after I zoomed out, losing hours of work.

I know there's a backup file, but when I open it, Krita throws an error that the file doesn't exist. Is there any other way?

I don't see it man.

teach me your ways, master

camel case binary name

-has code of conduct
-displays things using html, needs qtwebkit
-flat, touch oriented interface, even in desktop PCs

>tfw NetworkManager

ditched it already, such a piece of shit really.

setnet.sh is suprirsingly usable, even on a fucking laptop, once you have a list of wifi networks you use (at work at home at school) wpa_supplicant handles shit on it's own