Spend years writing game engine in GL

>spend years writing game engine in GL
>vulkan drops
>all of that work for nothing, no one will hire me

Rewrite it in Vulcan? Should have started when they started releasing info on Vulcan

theres literally 2 tuts that I know of and they are all extremely involved and end up in a blank window

Then I guess flip burgers and mop floors for the rest of your life

>spend years bandwagoning on the latest ms shit technology (eg wpf)
>they drop it for something else
>no one will hire you

I'm still working with Opengl and version 3.0 no less

And yeah you should have thought on scalability before working on an engine

>spend years writing game engine
this is where you fucked up

Make shitty apps in WebGL? lol, what were you doing with your life anyway, should have been learning something more general like building shit from the ground up on C or something. I mean at least be curious about the fundamentals if you already have the discipline to spend years on this shit

>spend years writing game engine in GL
I guess you did that on gentoo too? :^)

I have an idea OP if you are still around make the next second life but with a more modern and better optimized engine and less restrictions and yes allowing adult content is a must

Make a compatibility layer? Like have a wrapper for every opengl function you use to actually be using vulkan. (I don't know anything about this)

Just jump on the Android train OP/

were you the one with the 3d game with all the fractal effects?

If it isn't an AAA engine, no hurry to transition to Vulkan.
It will be a few years until hardware vendors stop supporting OpenGL.

gl is a graphics api, you only could do rendering in there not game

your skills were bad if you did not isolated the calls for easier api switching

opengl is gonna be here for a long time. IMO it's better than vulmeme

>writing game engine
Dummy

He's one of those guys who can't code without stackoverflow. He doesn't get hired with good reason.

every dev has stackoverflow open, even JC

>writing game engine

Are you one of those idiots who memorize the syntax and API rather than learn the concepts so you can apply it to any field?

>memorizing something in an age where stone tablets exist

except opengl works great on phones

>user makes his own game engine
>user sends applications for work
>user gets an interview
>user is at the interview and they ask "what have you done during your studies and past free time?"
>user tells them about his "amazing" game engine he wrote himself
>they reply "good but do you know anything about game engines like Unreal? Have you worked with it before?"
>user replies "no"
>the interviewer proceeds to open the door and throws out user

>they reply "good but do you know anything about game engines like Unreal? Have you worked with it before?"
>user replies "no I don't use inferior game engines "
>ez job

This is very likely.
You should be familiar with the alternatives.
It is the same as claiming to be good at a programming language.
You should know other programming languages well enough to be able to say "yes" to all programming languages, even if you don't actually spend much time with them.
Just creating a minimal working example shows you have grasped how to build and run the thing and anything more than that shows you could find the documentation.

Aka everyone in the industry?

What is a good opengl tutorial, that also involves a good guide to compiling?

use wrapper :^)

Whats the fucking point of creating your own game engine when it the time spent on it you could create any fucking game you want in Unity or UE4 or hell even Cry Engine

WWJCD?
BTW, can anyone give me a QR (that's "Quick Rundown" for all you non/pol/ users) on what happened to Carmack recently? I heard that he went to (((court))) for """stealing""" (((VR))) code or something.

JCs are the best!