I thought this was supposed to be a budget card

I thought this was supposed to be a budget card

What the fuck is this shit

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-AMD-Radeon-RX-480-8GB-Never-been-used-for-mining-/282526775330?hash=item41c7e87822:g:DmgAAOSwjk9ZQmQO
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cryptofaggots literally buying every 480 and 580 they see
Welcome to memecoins

tfw sold my 480 on ebay for 400 dollars and bought a 1070

you weren't here in late 2013/early 2014 huh?

its another asscurrency buying opportunity in the near future

>400$
you got ripped off, they are worth more lik 700 now because of ethereum

>Sold rx580 for $420 on eBay
>purchased a GTX 1080 for $480

I got to hand it to miners
I doubled my performance for $60

This might be a stupid question, but since
got a way better card for almost the same price, why do miners not buy things like GTX 1080 in the first place?

Which 1080 did you get?

AMD cards are better for mining because they have more t-flops while NVIDIA is better for gaming because of higher clock settings and cuda cores.

I don't know
I can't imagine a 480 has better Tflops than a 1080.
Maybe because they got 480s at $180 before the price rise.

Just a founders edition from Newegg
My room is always sub 60F so the cars runs at decent temps.

But the GTX 1080 has 40% more Tflops compared to a 480

its the cards architecture, only the 480's something about it is perfect for the algorithm that eth and similar coin mining uses, its better than the 580 even. you get about 3x the khash/sec of a gtx 1080's However if you try mining any other coins you get jack shit because the algorithm is different and RISC has taken over

lol yea I saw that the other day

Can buy two 480s for a 1080 though.

At least, you used to be able to.

>demand goes up
>supply stays the same
>everything gets more expensive
b-b-but muh hidden hand

>sell for more than you bought it for
>ripped off

well it's a duopoly so there is that

>sell for 400
>could have sold for 700
>i-it's not a r-ripoff i swear!

Why won't they just make more cards?

Surely more sales is something amd would want

When the crypto bubble bursts, will coins used for mining be worth anything?

If they are beat to shit I doubt anyone is going to risk buying a used one, which means the market will be destroyed.

OK, so if you are saying the 580 is the "budget" card, which one of these is the best of the best available right now? The 580, or the 480?

when their speculative value is more than what they paid into for the card(s), they begin selling out slowly (generally) so they don't lose everything over night
it'll drop small and people will scatter like roaches, the few remaining will lose everything in the next drop when the value corrects

BUTTCOINERS

>Why won't they just make more cards?

The argument is that AMD is in a lose lose situation. If they make more cards to sell then they will have a surplus of cards when cryptocurrencies crash. This is because all of the miners will just sell their used cards and nobody will buy new ones.

If they just take a wait and see approach they lose out on short term profit.

Actually crypto-mining cards are great because they're run below stock clocks and voltages, and run constantly so there's no thermal cycling. They're just sitting at 40°C and 0.9v or whatever for years on end. The fans are what gets killed by mining, the bearings get worn out. But the silicon is better than an ex-gaming card.

>demand outstripping supply so much that they need to produce more
>lose lose situation

I'm sure they're crying all the way to bank. Their biggest risk is not over production, but underproduction. They lose valuable market gpu market share. It's better to take short term losses due to overproduction if it helps sustain market- and mindshare.

Also they should build 2 cards: a stripped down miner gpu and a gaming gpu that's been modified to make it useless in mining.

>GTX 1080 has 40% more Tflops
not in practice, when it comes to mining it's simply about how many hash/sec you get and what power draw you get it at (or sol/s for zcash).

Theoretical marketing terms and gaming benchmarks mean absolutely nothing when you're looking at a farm with 10 or 100 or thousands of GPUs. It's all about how many dollars of revenue you get for how many dollars of power cost and initial investment. Nvidia cards simply can't compute.

The 580 is just a overclocked 480, it's just a re-brand of the same card. Perhaps it makes sense for pure gaming but if you're going to undervolt the card anyway (which makes sense if you're mining with it) then it doesn't really matter which of them you get. Interestingly some cards came with better coolers (specially MSI) on the 480s compared to the 580s.

It's easy to re-sell cards that have been used for mining, all you have to do is to not put that part in the advertisement. The GPU board and chips on the cards will be just fine and usable even after a year of constant mining - but the fans won't. The fans will probably be really noisy even at very low speeds. Replacing the fans isn't very practical.

On a odd but seriously note, some manufacturer should step up and do something as crazy as making a GPU with Industry Standard PWM fans. What do you do 9" or 12" CPU cooler fan or your 12" or 14" case fan starts whining or dies? You order a new one off any site that sells standard computer fans. Your custom special GPU fan gets noisy? You're screwed.

As usual, butt coin miners ruin everything for everyone

>Can buy two 480s for a 1080 though.
2x 480s were never faster than a single 1080 though.
Cfx a shit
Sli a shit

Is it really easy?
What if I have 100 RX 580's right now? Isn't it gonna look a bit suspicious that I'm selling 100 GPUs?

nigga have you been following any of the thread? we're not talking about crossfire or sli, those are for gaming. mining scales pretty much perfectly with additional cards

>some manufacturer should step up and do something as crazy as making a GPU with Industry Standard PWM fans
sapphire started doing something like this I think, having easily replaceable fans (i'm not sure if they're standard though)

Any EXPERT internet economists here?? WHEN will the prices of these cards go back down?

> WHEN will the prices of these cards go back down?
When NV and AMD sell enough to make miners happy. Also when the difficulty will go up so much, it'll be unprofitable to mine on GPUs. That will take from 2 to 3 years assuming ETH won't switch to PoS.

Would it be worth selling my 8 GB sapphire 480 for $450 then buying a gigabyte 1080 for $500? I'd also eat the cost of shipping.

>budget card
>doesn't list the 1050ti

>When the crypto bubble bursts
crypto is here to stay, where have you been for the past six years?

Hory shit!

I think I need to sell mine too!

ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-AMD-Radeon-RX-480-8GB-Never-been-used-for-mining-/282526775330?hash=item41c7e87822:g:DmgAAOSwjk9ZQmQO