Hackintosh general /osx86/

Links:
>discord: discord.gg/u8V7N5C
>insanely mac: insanelymac.com/forum/
>tonymac (use it if you need references for building a hackintosh) tonymacx86.com/
One of the best guides for a vanilla install out there: reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/68p1e2/ramblings_of_a_hackintosher_a_sorta_brief_vanilla/
Links for other websites:
hackintosh.com/#hackintosh_communities

>how to use the discord properly:
after waiting 10 minutes to become a member type "$links" to get a full list of available sources than type "$link ", if you want something else try asking someone online.

>WHY YOU SHOULD AVOID TONYMAC:
insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/
basically: tonymac software uses outdated kexts, clover, methods, patches; they install them in awful legacy locations; they install too many of them; they're closed-source, hide everything from you, mess with local system directories/files, make troubleshooting a nightmare, and don't credit the real devs, they steal kexts to the point where in most beast installs you can get a message telling you to not support tmac in the boot log.

>why macOS instead of linux?
-best of both worlds (proper third party support)
-simpler experience
-compatibility with *nix applications
-developing iOS apps
-Safari
-the built in applications such as automator, wireless diagnostics, amazing screenshot utility, iTunes et cetera
-reasonably secure

>how to install Sierra: youtube.com/watch?v=IULkDIO0f0I
reddit.com/r/hackintosh/

>guides on how to use macOS for windows and Linux users:
macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/pc-users-guide-mac-how-do-things-3470332/
lifewire.com/what-are-windows-keyboard-equivalents-to-mac-2260203
-How to merge folders: support.apple.com/kb/PH25633?locale=en_US

>obligatory tools:
-Spectacle: www.spectacleapp.com
-Redquits: carsten-mielke.com/redquits.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6BFEAtlT5xc
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/271330908328558593/324687596879872000/Clover_v2.4k_r4089.pkg
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/271330908328558593/321379880459829248/macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg
hwsensors.com/releases
macarchive.download/Mac OS X/10.12.4/Final Release/Install macOS Sierra.zip
macarchive.download/Mac OS X/10.12.3/Final Release/Install macOS Sierra.zip
macbreaker.com/2015/10/install-osx-el-capitan-unibeast-hackintosh.html
asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z68 Pro3/index.asp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Also:
How to get macOS working on Virtualbox:
youtube.com/watch?v=6BFEAtlT5xc
clover:
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/271330908328558593/324687596879872000/Clover_v2.4k_r4089.pkg
developer beta .dmg for macOS sierra:
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/271330908328558593/321379880459829248/macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg
fakeSMC (get the kext file):
hwsensors.com/releases
Sierra download:
10.12.4: macarchive.download/Mac OS X/10.12.4/Final Release/Install macOS Sierra.zip
10.12.3: macarchive.download/Mac OS X/10.12.3/Final Release/Install macOS Sierra.zip

whats the easiest way to add windows (8) to an existing clover setup with os x

owo

Just install other systems on separated hard drives. Clover will ask which system you want to boot to.

needs more illya

uwu

but you already posted that one the other day

>running out of illya wallpapers
for shame owo

i only use ones I make and i haven't found any good pics to make ones with lately (。>﹏

>you will never install apple os on a razor blade
god I wish hackintosh was better

all illya pics are good pics you baka

yes but not all of them can be used for wallpapers

>shell:owo
TELL ME

Hey guys, I just install macOS sierra on my lenovo y50-70! While I wait for my usb wifi ars to arrive, is it possible to use my other windows pc to share my wifi's internet through an ethernet cable? If yes, how?

everything is possible for one who believes

Installed Le Clapistan a year and a half ago, used this guide at the time: macbreaker.com/2015/10/install-osx-el-capitan-unibeast-hackintosh.html

Never had an issue with the normal updates on OS upgrades, running latest Sierra now. I'm happy I've switched, mainly because I don't have to deal with Windows nonsense anymore (we're using Ubuntu at work). If you're smart enough to install Linux or root a Lagdroid phone, I assure you trying hackintosh won't be too much of a hassle, provided your hardware is compatible.

Why don't you just plug the ethernet cable to your lenovo laptop?

It's too far away from my desk

i only have 1 drive

Is 10.12.6 going to support rx 480?

Yes it will just fine. You will only need to do something else if you own pascal cards (which need NVIDIA's web drivers).

Pls guys

Just use a powerline adapter then or maybe buy a USB wifi adapter with compatible drivers.

>what are partitions

>what is there is only 1 efi partition and both clover and windows need one

Anyone running the ASrock Z68 Pro3 Mobo?

asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z68 Pro3/index.asp

After nearly 10 years of using OS X as my primary OS for personal work, I switched away in late 2014. I consider it to be the best tech decision I made last year.

I started using OS X in 2005 when 10.4 (Tiger) was released. I ditched Linux at the time because I needed to print things and Linux was awful at it; OS X wasn't. I was very productive with OS X and had no serious complaints. When 10.6 (Snow Leopard) came out, I was content.

The pangs of dislike started to show up in 10.7 (Lion). The iOS-like GUI and "features" such as Launchpad didn't resonate with me. As things progressed, I became increasingly annoyed with the environment.

By the time I upgraded to 10.10 (Yosemite), my Macbook Pro no longer felt like a personal computer. Each upgrade was spent fighting the newest bells and whistles in order to keep my environment comfortable and familiar. I spent a lot of time going through the System Preferences, figuring out what I had to turn off in order to get my sanity back.

Furthermore, I found that I had stopped using the majority of the primary apps that ship with OS X: Mail, Safari, iTunes, and Apple Creativity Apps/iLife. For the most part, I ran essentially three apps: Firefox, MailMate, and iTerm2. Most of my work was done in terminals. The culture of the operating system at this point was more about sharing than personal productivity.

In short, I was working against the grain of the environment. It was a gradual transition, but OS X went from a useful tool set to get my work done to an obnoxious ecosystem of which I no longer wanted to be a part.

More damning than the lack of personal connection, though, was the complete lack of transparency and general decline in software quality, as I perceived it.

I basically got no useful information prior to system upgrades. Descriptions like "bug fixes" or "security fixes" say nothing and the links provided weren't much more illuminating. Furthermore, I had no idea as to the size of the download, so I couldn't set any reasonable expectations as to the time I was going to spend waiting.

The 10.10 upgrade was egregious. The fact that the upgrade could take multiple hours due to an incredibly slow directory merge is, simply put, the work of amateurs. Knowing about it ahead of time saved me a lot of frustration, but that kind of thing shouldn't ship. And if it does, at least don't get my hopes up by saying "1 minute remaining" for the better part of an hour.

Messages in 10.10 is a complete shitshow. It's a stunning regression. I gave up on it shortly after Yosemite was installed. The content was frequently out-of-order, mislabeled as new, and the conversation usually unparsable.

There are lots of other little things that irk me: mds being a hog, distnoted being a hog, lack of virtualization, other system services mysteriously firing up, bogging the system down. It doesn't help that the Macbook Pro I have is one of those lemons that overheats easily, thus kicking the fans into "rocket taking off" mode. At this point, my default position on Apple software in OS X has moved from "probably good" to "probably not OK". They seem more interested in pumping out quantity by way of more upgrades. It's death by a thousand cuts, but it's death nonetheless.

After reflecting on all this, I came to the realization that I was frustrated and disappointed by OS X, and I didn't see it getting better. I simply wasn't enjoying myself.

So I quit.

Once I quit, I was met with different frustrations, but they didn't feel like hopeless frustrations. I've gone back to a desktop system running Linux (for now) and while I consider it markedly inferior to OS X in terms of usability, it feels like a personal computer again. I'm enjoying the experience and I look forward to working with it, even when it's a monumental pain in the ass.

Maybe I just needed a change of scenery, but I do know that I no longer felt welcome in the OS X world, which is ultimately why I had to leave.

werks for me :^)

it's win7 though

amazing blogpost, keep it up. gilded.

I haven't quit it, but the problems, annoyances, surprises, seeming ineptitude, and creeping iOSification of OS X that the author describes sure do resonate.

Every new major release of OS X is a day or week spent disabling things, shutting down Spotlight again, trying to restore things back to the way they were instead of the way some Designer with a capital D thinks they should be, for no other reason than, "Beauty."

I just dread the idea of moving to Linux again. I don't want to tinker that much. But I am worried sick that OS X is dying, in the sense that it's becoming a platform to deliver people to Apple's (and partners') cloud services and sharing services and that's it. Screw all of that.

One major shot across the bow was the loss of "Save As..." and the change to "Duplicate". WTF, Apple? I now have to do 10 extra steps just to Save As.

It feels like Apple is abandoning its longtime users, the master users, the users who've climbed the pyramid, who've achieved a lot of game levels. It's just going after that huge base of newbies and midlevel people who don't notice or complain about all the changes that really, truly are not improvements. They're just changes. That's the problem in a nutshell: OS X changes because there's new management that wants to put its stamp on things, regardless of whether it improves the productivity of the user or not.

tfw still using osx 10.9 and it still just werks

OSX doesn't have much of a culture of backwards compatibility, and every update tends to pressure developers into the latest greatest thing. Maintaining old software is just not a cultural value.

Once the developers move, the users pretty much have to. I have an iMac from 2009. I had two OS's on it. Windows 7? Everything still works there. Runs fast, new software is great, etc. OSX 10.6.8? DEAD. It's basically useless. I guess it's nice that apple offers free upgrades, except that they mysteriously make a system that used to be lightning fast extremely slow, even though other OS's seem to run just fine..

Is that trough bootcamp? how can I install macOS using clover on a HDD with a windows partition?

Apple has a pretty vicious hardware/software upgrade treadmill.

I resisted updating 10.4 for years; IMO that was the high water mark for OS X, everything has basically been downhill from there. If I could still run 10.4 plus bugfixes and security updates, with modern software, I would.

But that's not possible. They push out new versions of the OS, along with new versions of development tools, which produce software that's not backwards-compatible past a certain point, such that eventually you can't run new software without installing major (0.1) updates. Apple's own products are the worst for this, but eventually you lose 3rd party apps as well.

Even if you resist the demands of new software, you'll eventually get forced to upgrade via hardware. Each generation of Apple hardware has a minimum OS version, keeping you from going back too far. For instance, Mac Pro "quad core" and 8-core systems won't run OS 10.4; Nehalem-based machines won't run 10.6. And Apple has purposely killed off its compatibility layers, dropping first the Classic environment and more recently Rosetta, in order to introduce barriers to running old software.

It's pretty frustrating as a user.

dude bootcamp is for real mac

10.5 to 10.9 was fine, yosemite is were things started to change too much, but I honestly think it's still a good operating system, thing is, when Windows 8 came out everyone complained about metro, nobody likes that shit, some would say that OSX's launchpad is similar but it's way different, it's actually keyboard friendly and if you don't like how it resembles iOS you can still use spotlight just fine.The dashboard is a complete different history imo, it's useless and it was left to rot in newer macOS versions, it has no real purpose other than consume system resources, I wouldn't say the same about the notification center though but at least both can be disabled with the terminal.

buy another one

>redquits

As a Windows user for over 15 years I really cannot understand what is so hard about learning that the default behavior is to close a window and not a program in macOS.

Really I understand macOS has some flaws here and there but some shit is straight duckling syndrome. Dunno how these people have jobs.

is it just me or those Sierra download links return 404?

You may think that but Windows and Linux has some braindead problems as well eg. no tabs on explorer, no built in decompressing and the fact that it took decades for Microsoft to implement multiple desktops. Linux on the other hand doesn't have thumbnails on most DE's file pickers and when some DE has it it's poorly implemented (small thumbnails that don't resize properly) not everyone likes KDE you know...

So Windows has become more sane than OS X in terms of security updates?

Windows 7 was released in 2009 and is still receiving security updates until 2020. 10.6 was released in 2011 and has been EOL'd since 2014. Seeing as both people still want to use these products, but one group is being forced not to, that's why I'm saying OS X is taking a less sane stance than Windows.

Is this false?

Nine out of ten Ubuntu or Mint installs will go off without a hitch, with no weird issues or regressions, and a warm, friendly, comfortable development environment welcomes you. Then there's that one time you install it on your laptop so you have a to-go environment that matches your workstation, and BOOM! your wifi isn't recognized (what year is it again??) or your sound card sputters (damn you PulseAudio!), or your hybrid graphics screws the pooch. Hell, I built this workstation I'm typing on with GNU/Linux and BSD compatibility first in my mind, and I still had issues with some hardware right off the bat. Nothing that can't be fixed with some fiddling, but it's annoying as hell.

Yes, all of the above issues can be fixed, just like the issues you dealt with in OS X. It's a computer, after all; Garbage In (Apple/Linux/BSD developers), Garbage Out. And don't get me started on Windows 8.x; it's finally becoming usable daily, but there are a million reasons I chose to stick with 7 for Windows-specific work, and wait it out until 10 ships.

Apple broke the cardinal rule: If it isn't broken, stop fixing it! They want to innovate and improve and conquer the world, fine; but they need to remember that they had the best OS X release with Snow Leopard (and in my personal opinion, that was the best desktop OS period). In their rush to wow the masses, they broke their OS for those of us who use it to be productive and creative.

At this stage, I feel that a good old fashioned, stable OS like FreeBSD or Slackware Linux or Debian is the best choice for a solid 'nix workstation, something you can get real work done on. But ever since Lion was released, I would rather use Windows Vista on a Core Solo machine than OS X on any Mac.

This has been my experience so far with hackintosh:

>Try it on some crappy AMD build 3 years ago for kicks and then a laptop
>Massive headache to get working, pajeet versions everywhere

>Get a new intel build, a cheap one though
>"Since you have an intel processor why not try hackintosh now?"
>Decide to look for it
>Shit's a little bit complicated but I guess I will try it
>Ah hell mouse acceleration what the fuck
>I want to close a program, how the hell do I close a program
>Every piece of software is paid, what is this nonsense
>I have to do this shit to get sound
>Guess I'll pirate the goddamn NTFS driver

>Months later
>Oh hey I can drag and drop this shit? How the fuck---?
>Every problem that I had is easily fixed with some software or small script, no "alternatives" necessary
>System still running as the first day
>Grab a magic trackpad because people are talking about it
>I hate those things on laptops, I wonder if this will pay off
>It's actually as responsive as it gets
>Gestures even for shitposting
>Learn shortcuts, they are actually pretty logical
>Every piece of software I want that is not games is right the fuck here
>Pretty smooth to work with

>Almost a year later
>Too comfortable in this system
>Someone asks me why I'm not using loonix
>The amount of things I set up here work so well for me that it's just not feasible on a linux distro, even less on Windows
>Everyone complaining left and right about point updates
>No point updates broke my shit, I didn't even bother with backups

Don't use macOS

Believe it or not, I went back to Windows. Sort of. I'm testing the waters. My big issue is iTunes. Yeah I drank the kool-aid and now have an iTunes library of about 100GB. Despite how much I hate what iTunes has become at least is runs on Windows.

Also, it's easier to "turn features off" in Windows than OSX these days. I'm sad about it though. But after 14 years on Mac I'm done. It was the upgrade to 10.10 that finally pissed me off enough to leave.

By the way, anyone know of a good terminal app for Windows? Not too crazy about Powershell. I have been using Git Bash and that's decent so far.

It's perfectly sane for apple to stop supporting older versions of their OS because their customers will defend that decision and buy their newest shit anyway

Thanks. Subscribed.

Both my MBPs (17" 2009, last 17" made (2012?)) had chronic sleep/resume issues, where they would wake up unprompted, either immediately after going to sleep, or after a while (in my bag, turning it into a furnace), or not resume at all when waking up.

The Genius Bar "replaced a daughterboard, which should fix it"[1], which naturally didn't.

In my quest for a solution, I tried everything and met hundreds of poor souls with this problem, of varying technical aptitude - some far exceeding mine.

Changing the sleep mode, examining logs/dmesg/provided no hints, or relief. I gave up and started shutting it down or hibernating.

I don't miss OS X.

Check out my patreon

By the way what's with all the shitty copypasted posts from random sites

Is someone's butt in such miserable pain

Why the fuck would someone setup a hackintosh without having a backup? what's your problem?
This is a Hackintosh thread, we don't really care about shitty Apple hardware.
>being autistic to the point that you resort to blogposts from literal whos to convince someone

I've been considering this for a while -- especially after the Yosemite upgrade, in which my machine has been randomly hanging [0], and in which my machine gets noticeably slower (cmd-tab takes a quarter to a half a second to actually finish switching and repainting windows) over the course of a few days of uptime. OS X software quality is very clearly not a priority at Apple, which is a shame, because this machine is still the best hardware I've ever had the pleasure of using. I don't know what my next machine will be, but if things go at the current pace, I imagine it won't be running OS X.

My previous Linux machine was a Sony VAIO SZ, running Ubuntu 8.04; it did basically everything that I needed, and my only complaint that I'd have if downgrading to it today would be the reduction in battery life. Is there a great set of laptop hardware to run Linux on these days? What do people use when they just want a candy-reduced window system?

[0] MacBook Pro Retina 15", Mid 2012; periodically, usually while I am scrolling through a web page, the machine becomes unresponsive (sound stops, cursor stops), and a minute or two later, the machine powers off. Sometimes it reboots on its own; afterwards, there's no kernel panic log. As far as I can tell, something goes wrong, and after a few minutes, the SMC's watchdog timer gives up, and shoots the machine in the head.

>Why the fuck would someone setup a hackintosh without having a backup? what's your problem?

Not much really. I have the time to set things up again, but I sort of played lottery on that and ended up not having trouble at all. I can understand perfectly why it's a better idea, but still this thing so far hasn't given me problems. At this point I just smirk when someone goes "this hackintosh thing is all wrong, it breaks left and right, it's completely unstable, you have to buy a very, very specific build to make it even work properly" and I have a budget shit PC that I built for games and has nothing but common pitiful hardware.

Now I imagine with High Sierra there's going to be a plethora of issues specially now that they decided to move on to APFS. Which I think could be neat. I use an SSD because otherwise this system would be a bit unbearable to be honest. I did try.

At my last workplace, the OSX laptops were all 2-3+ years old... and were all incredibly slow. I was always surprised that people could get any work done on them. One woman had an OSX laptop that would boot up with the entire 4GB of memory in use, with no applications or agents loaded except maybe spotify. All the shiny UI in the world doesn't make you more productive when you have to wait for a mouse click to register.

The linux machines were whiteboxes of the same age, and while there was a curl or two in setting them up, were still just as speedy and usable when aged as they were when new.

>install a newer version of OSX on a older laptop
"waaah why is it slow"
This happens with windows machines as well, most machines that came with windows 7 don't run windows 10 properly (I found so many people complaining about the 100% disk usage problem when they upgraded to 10 that I'm not even surprised anymore). Thing is, Apple is scum when it comes to their laptops, their desktops are mostly fine but buying an Apple laptop is basically settling yourself to either: installing Linux on it later once newer releases of macOS become unusable or sell it later to buy a new laptop.

I have a Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM & normal HDD and I don't recommend upgrading past Mountain Lion, since Mavericks uses at least 3GB after booting up. I'm guessing Apple engineers are provided with Mac Pro with blazing speeds so they don't understand the pain of using the latest OSX with 4GB RAM & normal HDD.

Apple has been doing a really bad job at UX for the last few years. (Disclaimer: I say this as a person where I'm currently surrounded by two iMac's, a macbook pro, and an iphone, so I'm not exactly a hater).

The weird thing is I don't even know what they're going for.

There are two trends I've seen:

1) Be more like iOS (for example, the dumb reverse scroll (wait sorry, "natural" scroll") and removing things like UI elements reacting to hovering.) I have no idea what's even clickable anymore. That's idiotic. I get consistency, but you shouldn't kick one platform in the knees to replicate the shortcomings of another. OK so touch screens don't have hover. Still, I'd like to have that back on the desktop. It'd be nice to know what's actually clickable.

2) Being more "social". Like now all my OSX devices want to be connected to my phone, and tell me about every goddamn text message. And if I try to ignore this, I get berated by annoying login screens. "Cancel". Hey maybe you want to see that screen again! NO! fuck off! I have no interest in iCloud, stop asking me five times to log in. Apple seems hell bent into annoying you into signing up for a lot of privacy degrading services.

Not only that, but they just choose bizarre fucking defaults. Like, if I sync my iPhone, it will pop up iPhoto automatically with all my recent photos. Jesus christ. On the plus side, I'm boring, so there's nothing really there, but who the hell thought that was a good idea?!? Does apple have any idea what people actually use cell phone cameras for? Sure there are tame uses, but all the same, I mean jesus christ. That's the dumbest default I've seen, and turning it off is basically impossible.