youtube.com/watch?v=OEmO-v2R4G0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

delid this

>100% LOAD

That's a lot of thermal paste.

Whats this mean?
Whats wrong with this?

Serious question

Intel cheaped out and used thermal paste between the die and heatspreader instead of a soldered solution which would allow for better heat transfer.

>use cheap thermal paste instead of soldering the 1000$ chip for extra high temps!

>muh longevity
>muh soldering microcracks
>muh liquid metal
I have yet to see a proper argument on why soldering is bad when we have been doing it for over a decade now with no issues

Intel is cheaping out again using thermal paste under the heat spreader instead of using solder. Thermal paste is absolute garbage for using between the die and IHS

They use thermal paste instead of liquid metal or solder to thermally connect the die to the IHS.
Everyone is going nuts over this as thermal paste obviously has worse thermal conductivity than liquid metal and solder.
The reason Intel does this however, is that using liquid metal or solder makes the CPU less durable as the solder can crack and liquid metal has to be replaced. But nobody here seems to get that.

>makes the CPU less durable as the solder can crack and liquid metal has to be replaced
Which is why Intel's CPUs from before they cheaped out on the TIM died all the time and aren't still working today and had no issues of dying whatsoever.

You don't seem to get that we've been using solder for the last 2 decades and no CPUs have exhibited this behavior.

older cpus are on bigger nodes

>solder can crack
can that even happen in cpu that are less than 10 years old? I've had over 10 cpus and none of them had this problem, and obviously it's not very common or that would be an actual argument when considering solder vs thermal paste

That's about as relevant to this discussion as JHH's sexual orientation.

dies are smaller now, smaller mechanical tim bonds are more susceptible to the issues which is why they've only started using paste over the last few generations.

Thanks

it is highly relevant as the less surface area of a solder joint the more likely and susceptible to heat and failure it is

Yeah, that explains why they use TIM on 300mm^2 CPUs like Skylake-X

Which is why Ryzen doesn't have this problem either. Glad they switched to mayonaisse like the intel people!

S E V E N T Y O N E D E E G R E E S

ryzen dies are fuck huge.

>dies are smaller now
>skylake-x die is small
Yeah, no.

>$1000 overpriced piece of silicone, plastic and aluminium
>can afford few cent extra for a good thermal paste

Typical jewtel

Is it that retard again that thinks TIM is better than solder? Nobody would ever have said that until Intel damaged controlled that "research paper"(which they made) on how it is.

/soldered/

So it's much worse than X370 and B350 launch. Nice.

Single CCX 4-core Ryzens are smaller than intel's 4 core. and AMD has announced that all Ryzens are soldered

But the process size is the same.
Actually the i9-7900X's die is huge too, so how is this even a counterpoint?

It's gonna die any day now, microcracks and stuff

for non HEDT chips it is true that the dies are too small, however there's no excuse not to solder their HEDT chips. they always have up until this point they stopped at skylake x.

>The reason Intel does this however, is that using liquid metal or solder makes the CPU less durable as the solder can crack and liquid metal has to be replaced. But nobody here seems to get that.
Nope, it's 90% for cost cutting reasons. Stop lying Brian

and people running these chips warm may run into issues in the future. solder cracks won't ruin a chip anyway they will just decrease thermal efficiency.

Well TIM is better for extreme overclockers in that it makes it easier to remove and do direct-die cooling.
It's worse for 99.999% of people.
And it'd be fine for the average person if it was at least DECENT FUCKING TIM.
There are decent non-solder TIM out there you can simply replace the TIM with which performs more than twice as good as the stock garbage. It really makes it clear that Intel uses it as an anti-consumer measure to prevent overclocking, to force people to void their warranty more obviously even to do a minor overclock (or underclock).

>189mm^2
>huge
Kys.

Smaller dies are less susceptible to cracking. That's basic mechanics, try cracking a short stick. In fact the only think that can crack a die is a hammer, silicon is damn hard.

for u

can someone remind me why we started putting cans on our cpus again?

It's more cost cutting to reduce losses for warranty returns by making people void their warranties.
The TIM itself is so absurdly cheap.
A CPU like the 7700k costs well under $80 to manufacture, assemble, and box. Better TIM (like liquid-metal) would add pennies.

lol?
They are smaller than the 7700k.
They aren't even twice the same of a Pentium G4560.
Go back to Sup Forums, retard.

so u could delid dem

You're not fooling me, merchant!

because retards will break the die while setting up the heatsink
there are imbecile on Sup Forums right now who bend pins

retards shouldn't be assembling computers in the first place

get the fuck off this board

And who's gonna stop them?

can't stop them, but you don't have to support them

The problem won't go away.
Just like every retard gained internet with the advent of smartphones, braindead normalshits will also take over every hobby you hold dear.

Core2 was even smaller, and even that used solder. There are plenty of those still kicking around 10 years later. Micro-cracks my ass.

name is wrong, should be "jewripper 16 core" and "shoah 32 core"

>those transistor counts
>now we have 10x the xtor count on CPUs
>meanwhile IPC hasn't improved even 100% since Conroe

The reason might be that lead free solder is utter shit and cracks all the time.

>oy veyy, you dont want superior cooling options!
>just use my thermal jizz instead!

Yup, that's the reason.
I can't tell you how much C2Ds' and Phenoms suffered from this.
I think my SB is showing symptoms too.

What a day to be alive.

The kikes have made an oven to throw themselves into so you don't have to bother.

Yep.
The cracking was fixed long ago.
Sandy Lakes, Bulldozers, and Broadwell-Es are all fine.

This would piss me off if I bought a $1000 cpu.

DELID
DELID
DELID
youtube.com/watch?v=OEmO-v2R4G0
DELID
DELID
DELID

YOU'RE ON FIRE

DELID

THIS