/wdg/ Web Development General

goding with Sup Forums

>old thread
>Discord / IRC
discord.gg/wdg
#Sup Forumswdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: rizon.net/chat

>Getting started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
Everything you learn will have these as their base.
The Mozilla Developer Network offers a good intro (no matter your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Getting_started_with_the_web

>Online courses
codecademy.com/
freecodecamp.com/
bento.io/

>Further reading/viewing
youtube.com/watch?v=sBzRwzY7G-k
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md

>Code challenges
codewars.com/
hackerrank.com/
codefights.com/

>Useful resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
libraries.io/ - Discover and keep track of open source libraries, modules and frameworks
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

>Useful Youtube channels
youtube.com/derekbanas
youtube.com/learncodeacademy - codecademy
youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q - funfunfunction
youtube.com/user/TechGuyWeb - Traversy Media
youtube.com/channel/UC8butISFwT-Wl7EV0hUK0BQ - freeCodeCamp
youtube.com/user/shiffman - coding train

>cheap VPS hosting in most western locations
digitalocean.com/
vultr.com/
linode.com/
scaleway.com/
heroku.com/

an in-depth comparison of hosts
webstack.de/blog/e/cloud-hosting-provider-comparison-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Ct7QMf17
formidable.com/open-source/victory/docs/victory-shared-events
intoli.com/blog/running-selenium-with-headless-chrome/
facebook.github.io/jest/docs/en/getting-started.html
gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=Professional ASP.NET MVC 5
developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/CSS/Specificity
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why the pic changed? web dev is more than just some front end babby bootstrap work, please change to this pic. Thanks you.

too noisy and bright :^)

anyway, no harm in having more than one OP pic

>obfuscated js
nah

Lol, that's just minified js. You haven't even seen obfuscated js.

woud SSD disk improve node development? I'm making a complex node + express app and it takes forever to reload it with nodemon..

oh god you're right and so smart

>express
theres your problem

yeah, I'm not changing that.. the app is almost ready and I need to cash in lol

also, I'm pretty sure express has nothing to do with it. I use dozens of complex node modules

>he doesn't use node.js

How long until Angular 1.x is dead in the industry?

>modules
>frameworks
>node.js
>wonders why its slow
kek
>he doesnt use kore.io

anything angular is already dead

that meme came and gone real quick

its not slow, the reloading of the application in develpoment is slow (by slow i mean 5-6 seconds, which eats lots of my time waiting for the shit to reload)

What's a good front-end related project to contribute to?

So I'm pretty new to node, and I got my server to serve the html form, but now I want to take my form data and log it to the console when I click send, but nothing happens. Sorry if my code is sloppy and nonsensical, I'm basically working off of various online tutorials/examples trying to get this to work.

I don't think it will improve it enough to justify buying an ssd just for that. Your bottleneck probably isn't disk based but rather something to do with v8.

the code is running on the server so it won't log to browser's console. run node from the command line (vs code's integrated terminal should work on windows afaik) and you'll be able to see the messages there

It doesn't show up in the command line either unfortunately.

I'm reading forum posts from 2013/14 on various tech sites about how Angular "won" and how all the programmers who use it were acting so smug towards programmers who would criticize it or use older library/frameworks, saying that those programmers didn't "understand" higher level concepts and patterns needed for developing "advanced" web applications that Angular manages "so well". Fast forward a few years, now Google is completely rewriting Angular and breaking compatibility which is an admission that Angular hadn't "won" anything and was shit all along, and was thrown to the framework graveyard in which all JS frameworks quickly find themselves. Those smug developers now look like retards, and their work will be thrown out and rewritten in something else. I wonder how long Angular 2 will last; it would be a miracle if more than 4 years.

you could also run node --inspect and click this button on google chrome (pic related)

... it give such an inspector

I'm interviewing tomorrow for a job that'll be using Angular2(4 or w/e its called). I've used 1.~ in the past, but React ever since then. I really dont want to go back to angular from react :(

i wanna step my game up desu

how2become a better front end dev?

your code should look closer to something like this user. you don't need fs or http modules if you're using express.

pastebin.com/Ct7QMf17

Went use node when there are so many so much superior alternatives?

>he uses server-side javascript

>tfw 24 years old and just getting started in web development
>tfw you see people your age already having incredible portfolios and resumes to die for
Eh, better to start today than 10 years from now

It's a low barrier to entry and any retard can do it. You'll be fine.

become full stack or die trying

Does anybody work with compile-to-js languages? (clojurescript, purescript, elm)

Ayy I it works! Thanks man! Also, I see why people like express so much, saves you a shitload of hassle.

what's the best way to run both Python 3 and 2.7 on my computer? I use Python 3 almost exclusively, but there's a few programs I want to try out that still haven't been ported. I don't want to be continuously changing the PATH variable. I'm using Windows + UBuntu btw. Is there an easy way to have both python versions in Ubuntu?

Hey anons, I'm trying to do a visualization with React and what I'd like to add is that when you hover over the bar in the charts the bar will change color and at the same time a table highlights the specific row / column related to the data that the bar is using.

For visualization I'm using Victory, and it has shared events like gif related that allow you to do something similar, I'd like to do the same but instead of highlighting the pie chart, highlight the data on the table.

>formidable.com/open-source/victory/docs/victory-shared-events

If you have any ideas / links / tutorials or anything similar it is going to be greatly appreciate it, at this moment I've been doing some research and nothing shows up, I don't even know what to Google any more.

Best way to scrap some website highly bloated with JS and Angular? Requires login.

Node or Python? And which libraries?

If it's props, just pass a function to each children that sets the color of the data, and you trigger it when you hover each bar component.

I love you guys for all the support you give and discussion on webdev you create, especially for someone with no friends like myself

don't they have 2 different commands?
like one is python and the other is python2 or something?

How do can you handle tables well at high zoom, and/or low horizontal width? All I know is that i can either squish the columns so the table fits inside the viewport (with almost vertical text), or I keep it at a fixed size and have to scroll horizontally.
Is there a magic one-size-fits-all solution I've missed?

$ python
is python 2.7
$ python3
is python 3.5.2
on my ubuntu.
Check with python -V

Use selenium & co. it has binds for both languages

>upgrade webpack to 3.0
>JS bundle file size went down 21%

Is there something that doesn't start a browser?

All I know of is selenium for python. It's not really fun to work with though.

>tfw semisuck at object oriented JS

nice

no, browser is a thing that makes you able to render html and execute javascript which is exactly what you're trying to do. you can run chrome in headless mode though
intoli.com/blog/running-selenium-with-headless-chrome/

Gaise, how do i into unit testing js

just like get jest facebook.github.io/jest/docs/en/getting-started.html

C++ dev here. Been looking into web assembly recently. Tempting to just write C++ and compile to wasm. Is it even mature and ready to replace js? Or are there just too many frameworks written in js already that it will be just another dead standard?

>Is it even mature and ready to replace js?
no
>Or are there just too many frameworks written in js already that it will be just another dead standard?
no

So if i want to build mvc app with php
for example crud
Where should functions for create/read/update/delete be?
Which files should i have?
Should i put functions in Model? or use model to just call those functions
View for frontend
Controller? Contoller is to see if im trying to for example delete/update..?
Am i getting this rite?

Then is there a future for it in the long run or am I better off learning js that is kind of pig disgusting?

there is, but not very soon. you're better of learning typescript for now

JS is fine. It's CSS and the DOM which are sources of frustration.

any sane replacement for Express.js in 2017?

Has anyone tried koa2? is it mature enough?

ok thanks

y u no like express.js?

Good plugins for VS Code for HTML, CSS and JS?

>Auto Close Tag
>Beautify
>ESLint
>Path Intellisense

is namecheap legit? can i make my domain point to any of my websites like a github pages site or a site on some other web host? it's only when transferring the domain to a different domain service that extra fees are involved right?

that's pretty much the deal with any registrar.
I think you never have fees for transferring a domain away, you are just forced to add 1 year to the domain if i remember correctly.

That's strange. Does your app connect to a remote db instance or hit up really slow APIs synchronously?

I have an interview for a job at a small software shop that uses the microsoft stack. Is web development in C#/ASP.NET + SQL Studio that bad? Currently I only have professional webdev experience with Go/Vue.js/Mongo and some Python. What books can I pick up to learn webdev shit using the MS stack?

Also you can't set it to auto-renew iirc

And Facebook is sometimes very suspicious of some of those TLDs (.tk, .ml, etc). When I set up a site on one of them and sent it to some friends over facebook messenger, they made me solve a captcha

>Is web development in C#/ASP.NET + SQL Studio that bad?
you'll be forced to use winblows, so it's pretty bad.
>What books can I pick up to learn webdev shit using the MS stack?
gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=Professional ASP.NET MVC 5

luckily I can moonlight and do other shit in my free time on linux and in other languages.

At least it's a salaried job with benefits, and they don't force you to work 80 hours a week. If using windows is a trade off, I'm ok with that.

Apparently it's in Let's encrypt blacklist.

It's pretty nice. C# is very good language, Visual Studio is very good IDE, MSSQL is good. On cons non - windows support is weak and you will be using IIS.

Anyone here using Perl? What's your setup like? Do you get code completion/hinting in your editor/IDE? How do you do it?

Is webrtc for peer to peer video still good or has something better came along?

>upgraded to webpack 3.0
>same file size
Fucking liar

Luckily you only have to be semigood to get anything done.

I don't think there are any other options for peer to peer communication in the browser.

So do you guys use Upwork at all? I'm looking to get started with freelancing but just need some examples of work under my belt first before I dive into Upwork...

Bump

>Checking out entry level jobs on indeed
>Almost none of them are actually entry level

Wtf?

how do I get started with elm?
is it even worth it?

how can I override an id with class in css? im applying an effect on a class but i wont work it only works with id, even though I dont even have any code on that id

Post code and result, or a simplified example.

more like
become full stack or die hiring
amirite

this only applies if you use namecheap as a web host though right? if you only use them as a registrar you can use a different web host with let's encrypt?

How do I into design? I have no problem learning new code shit, but for the life of me I can't design.

I need help to start making dosh in e-commerce.

I want to build a site that sells tickets, meaning users can spend money through some payment processor, set a few options about their seat, and are then served a generated final ticket on request.

I did free code camp's front end challenges, and I have a pile of Python which can make tickets, so I'm good on html, CSS, and js, but I have never done backend stuff so I have no clue how to:

>set up payment processing
>connect my python ticket code to users
>set up an account system so people can get back to all the above

How do I go forward, anons? Are there any good resources on actually shipping a website like this?
>

You'll need to redo your work from Python, it's not usable on the web. Instead, download Sql and write your code in it. Sorry, user

Why is JavaScript such a meme that people use it for back end? What is the advantage over using Java, PHP or C#?

Why is there so many meme library's for JS, over the last 4 years I've seen dozens come and go its ridiculous.

I'n Australia job advertisers actually expect you to learn JS meme library's but what is the point if they will be a dinosaur in 2 years time.

C# is comfy programming language, Not being xamarin forms master race.

Does your app connect to a remote db instance or hit up really slow APIs synchronously?

no, I use local db.. but as I said, its not that slow (5,6) seconds. But it is slow enogh to annoy me

subcontract to a designer

Say you want to override an id called "#id-example" with a class ".class-example". You do it by writing it in css like this:

#id-example.class-example { your code }

It all comes down to css specificity. You can read about it on:

developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/CSS/Specificity

Any web designer that works in Ubuntu? How good runs Photoshop in wine? Would you recommend Kirta instead (I hate Gimp). Also any good alternative to Illustrator?

>Any web designer that works in Ubuntu?
sounds like an oxymoron

it's cozy only having to be really good at one language and still have the ability to do everything on your own, no context switching. the idea of code reuse IS a meme, in practice that happens rarely unless you're doing something stupid. it's also an easy language to get really good at and grasp despite what it's critics may tell you. I say that it has so many critics because its easy to understand therefore it's easy to criticize. it has it's shortcomings and gotchas for sure but in real life use those rarely are a problem. if you're using javascript to control life support machines or rockets then yeah, you're going to run into problems, but that's not javascripts fault and I also doubt that people do that...yet.

Well I actually only prefer it for the terminal honestly, but if photoshop worked well on linux I'd definitively switch forever.

You need something like Django for back-end python. And you'll need and SQL server like PostgreSQL or MySQL. You can access the SQL server with SQLAlchemy library. I've done some python but not web back-end so I don't know the details.

Don't listen to this autist

me. you can probably maybe get photoshop and illustrator to work with wine but you'd be better off maxing your ram and running xp and whatever newest versions run in xp in a vm. but user just get over whatever inhibitions you have and use gimp and illustrator. i used to love photoshop and especially illustrator and have lost all interest to use either ever again.

AHAHAHAH FAGGOTS

I'm using hackintosh myself, but you can get terminal emulators on windows.. they work very well, but I cant get used to using windows

is electron gud?

depends on what you're building and your execution. if you're considering it then it's probably your best option.

its glorified wrapper around the web api so i heard electron was a good fit