Thinkpad T420

Thinkpad T420 is very good, I love using it.
But the screen... Why... :(
Using an extern monitor is not an option for me.
What do /g think about the screen quality?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/3qbhpo/reasonably_priced_x1_carbon_screen_t420_screen/
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=122224
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

absloutely disgusting

It's an ancient piece of shit. Get something new with a hidpi display and a processor from this decade.

bad.
I bought an x230 tablet and i love it.
I mayturn the t420 into a hackintosh just because.

Until recently all thinkpad screens were horrible TN panels. Only with the t460 series and above have they switch the IPS panels.

I read of people replacing the t420 screens to the ips panel used in the x1 carbon. Sorry for the leddit link

reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/3qbhpo/reasonably_priced_x1_carbon_screen_t420_screen/

You can also use the t440's ips fhd display

get a dock nigga

I really love my t420s and it does everything the I need to do, but the screen is unbearable. I want to purchase an XPS 15 but still wonder if I should take the dive. Any thoughts?

>a processor from this decade.
>+2% performance vs T420 i5
LMAO

Is the x220 screen as bad?

This. I love my dock.

> Launch Date Q1'11
>dec·ade
ˈdekād/
noun
noun: decade; plural noun: decades

a period of ten years.

You can get an ips display for it.

My T460p is having a kernel panic so I'm on my old T420 preparing a re-install.

After not using it for more than a year the first thing I noticed is how shockingly bad the screen is compared to a modern Thinkpad.

>and a processor from this decade.

IIRC it's still faster than the ultra low voltage crap they put in pretty much all modern normiebooks.

You can get an IPS screen for it but it has another cancer called 1366x768

T420 i5 2520M gets a 3,566 PassMark score
T430 i5-3230M gets a 3,925
T560 i5-6200U gets a 3,982
>yfw the first two are under $200 and the second is over $700

I know IPS has better colours and viewing angles, but does it still cause eye strain after a few minutes?

just wear your computer glasses my man.

does it get hot, my t420 is burning when docked

Why would it cause eye strain?

>let's design a dock......
>hey let's put some plastic right where the exhaust is, that's a fantastic idea!

Enter here and make me happy

I've used a few Thinkpads (T420+T430) with TN panels and after a few minutes i get eye strain. The screens look fine at first, but they just become more washed out the longer I use them. Haven't had this problem on any other screen.

I wonder if it's flicker from CFL backlights, as opposed to TN vs IPS.

Strange. My T420 is my dedicated laptop for all uses comfy. I have both modern Apple and PC laptops for varying uses, but this screen has been nothing but comfy.

nice DINOSAUR, poojeet

T420 is an awesome laptop which has a non-soldered full voltage processor. You could upgrade to 2720QM without a rework station (I might be wrong!). Add 16 gb of ram, mod to a FHD IPS panel forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=122224 and enjoy your laptop which will be kicking in the teeth of the modern lenovo garbage and warming up your tendies at the same time.

>You could upgrade to 2720QM without a rework station (I might be wrong!). Add 16 gb of ram
You're not wrong, i did that with my 420-chan.

This fucking screen though, can't wait for the non-s FHD IPS mod to be sold by someone.

Most likely because of PWM flickering. I didn't have the problem with my T420 when I was on the 768 panel, but when I upgraded it to the 900 panel shortly after buying it off ebay, I noticed the screen had a flicker to it when the brightness was low. Turns out this is a very common problem on all the Thinkpads of that release range with TN panels. You can sort of relieve the issue with a tool called IntelPWMControl on github that can set the PWM frequency to like 700hz or whatever you find comfortable and runs as a minimal service that tweaks it to that number on every brightness change, unfortunately it's a little trickier to do on Linux, but can be done there too.

How do you connect the eGPU?

ExpressCard.

Link to adapter please. How is it? I did some research in the past but I haven't been keeping up with my Sup Forums stuff for about a year.

I'm using the ExpressCard version of the EXP GDC adapter, bought it on gearbest but it's sold out over there it seems.

Works fine at Gen1 speeds but it's sort of unstable at Gen2 speeds at least with the T420, however it doesn't matter much with a low-end card like the 950, 960 or 1050ti and you're not going to use this thing to run a Titan anyway.

You only need an ATX power supply to make it work and it's very easy to set up.