What's stopping webdevs from pre-rendering their sites on the client side and serving users a series of static images?

What's stopping webdevs from pre-rendering their sites on the client side and serving users a series of static images?
No more worrying about slow, bloated client-side javascript for the presentation layer, just render on the server-side and it'll look good on all devices, even outdated non-standards conforming browsers like IE6.
You could embed ads into the text content and serve it as an image, permanently preventing adblocking and automated scraping of your web-content.

I know this would lead to an arms race where web scraper bots would start employing OCR, but it'll be a long fucking time before someone makes an OCR-based adblocker.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_accessibility
youtube.com/watch?v=1JZGFjufJEY
pici.picidae.net/index.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

*pre-rendering on the server-side

My web site does that.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_accessibility

disabled peeps will sue you

My website already does this for the exact reason of stopping Adblock

>blind people can't see ads
>blind people are literally a net drain on your site
lmao fuck them

you still gonna get fucked by ADA lawyers

So just say you don't give a fuck about cripples and tell em to go fuck themselves

My first thought was to talk about how stupid you are for suggesting this, but then I realized a JPG that size is in truth smaller than the multi-meg pages that dipshits like Newegg dish out. It also fixes the issue of scaling. Shit. 15 years ago this would have been the stupidest idea ever and now it has a fucking practicality to it. Fuck.

>I know this would lead to an arms race where web scraper bots would start employing OCR, but it'll be a long fucking time before someone makes an OCR-based adblocker.
Actually, it would lead to a blocklist and addblockers that only load parts of images and relayouting engines.
youtube.com/watch?v=1JZGFjufJEY

i have ptsd from ads. i'll sue u

The server still has to source all this data to render the JPEG, you're not saving any traffic

>jpg
I would sure love to try to decipher some pixelated garbage text

>blocking adblock
are you poor?

That's server side and mostly reading from a local database and image generation. Not a whole lot of network I/O until it's ready to serve the image to the client. Mostly processor based, or GPU if you took that route. If you make a 4 meg image to replace a page that takes 6 megs normally you save 1/3 of your bandwidth. Bandwidth is the biggest and only relevant cost to nearly every host out there.

it would be larger because for every page you want to look at you would have to download a picture while css, js, even re-used pictures are cached if you download it as html.

The fact that once it became popular region clipping ad blockers/browsing engines became popular.

Basically, before your browser'd do a request, it would request a list of relevant parts from a crowdsourced server. Far easier to crowd-source than a convoluted normal website, by the way. Just drawing a couple of rectangles isn't hard.
>inb4 I'd just change positions
Do that too much and your page becomes unusable.
Do it subtle and it still doesn't matter. If your website is popular enough for actual user counts you got that crowded in less than 3 minutes.
Subtlely changing layout each request would make it very easy for simple computer vision algorithms and also costs enough processing power on your side that online advertising isn't sufficient.

And that doesn't take usability issues into account that'd prevent pages like that from becoming popular.

Why not just serve your sites as plain text?

He'd lose his "work-indepent income" from the one-time morons that stumble upon his blog only to never return.

True but you're underestimating just how much new bullshit some sites can dish out per page.

except how do you click a link

I can think of a few ideas:
1. Split image into a bunch of small pieces, add link to small section.
2. If JS is allowed, maybe could do some stuff with with click events and mouse position.

This already exists. You can run a server that you can then use to access the modern web on old laptops.
hownew.ru?

See ember-fastboot

You could reuse most of the userchrome, like menus and the logo and just change out the article which is a rendered image.

>In 2000, an Australian blind man won a $20,000 court case against the Sydney Organizing Committee of the Olympic Games (SOCOG). This was the first successful case under Disability Discrimination Act 1992 because SOCOG had failed to make their official website, Sydney Olympic Games, adequately accessible to blind users. The Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (HREOC) also published World Wide Web Access: Disability Discrimination Act Advisory Notes.[32] All Governments in Australia also have policies and guidelines that require accessible public websites; Vision Australia maintain a complete list of Australian web accessibility policies.

fucking really its the Olympics ffs, its light how nightclubs need to have wheelchair lifts to the dance floor, absolutely insane

I want to sue the Bureau of Land Management for not putting wheelchair ramps near abandoned mines in the desert.

that sounds like hell

What's the software called?

pici.picidae.net/index.php

Oh you mean like they did back before web 3.0 garbage?