OpenSUSE

Why is this so unpopular? Tumbleweed sounds like good rolling-release distro.

Other urls found in this thread:

software.opensuse.org/package/mpv
susestudio.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=r0qBaBb1Y-U
software.opensuse.org/distributions/leap
reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/6htqzx/why_do_you_use_opensuse/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No street cred

have to use this because the webserver i'm in charge of runs it. not fond of it, want debian back

>t. Lunduke
I've never used it, but I've thought of trying something other than Debian on me new laptop. Is it any good?

botnet

What is the most annoying thing in SUSE? Package manager?

You only have like 5 packages and 3 of them are broken and the maintainer wont take responsibility for it thats why

same as Fedora, Ubuntu and other systemd-based distributions, including Arch Linux

it has decent repository, and it's even more up to date than Ubuntu
software.opensuse.org/package/mpv

Tbh, I respect OpenSUSE users the most.

I'd love to use it myself but holy fuck it's bloated, the version numbering is literally retarded and I don't need the GUI tools it offers.

It's great. It's probably the best and most professional Linux distro out there. The problem is it's aimed for enterprise environments so it comes with bloatware most users don't want or need. Powerusers want Arch for "muh minimalism" (and pretending they're a hacker for copying commands into installer) and Linux newcommers are locked into Debian based distributions simply because most normie software is primarily compiled for Ubuntu/Debian.
Although, honestly, I think it's great for powerusers who prefer graphical tools and settings and wouldn't say it's bad for newcommers either considering it's actually more stable than Ubuntu.
There's Gecko Linux which is described as "openSUSE without bullshit defaults". But I have no idea what that implies other than including proprietary format support and dividing into editions with seperate DEs instead of having a single 4.7GB image with GNOME and KDE both included.

Sup Forums doesn't like distros that don't need fiddlin' every 10 minutes.

There is no netinst version and you have to use 4.7 GB image, that really sucks.
I'd like to use it with i3 or any other window manager, but because it has to be so bloated, it's hard to get rid of DE and make OpenSUSE light and simple.

People insist on it being a business/enterprise-only distro because...well, just because.

I liked it back when I used it. (Tumbleweed and Leap at different times.) If you aren't a fan of using the terminal for settings then the KDE version is brilliant - the already-robust settings menu it has, combined with GUI YaST, creates a behemoth of a control center.

OpenSUSE is cool. The problem is that you'll need the unofficial repos (Packman), which are sometimes broken and make zypper dup a cluserfuck. This is especially a problem with Tumbleweed, since you'll upgrade often. I still recommend trying it, but keep in mind it may not always be a smooth ride.

They signed some deal with Microsoft that basically admitted Linux infringed on patents. I don't like them out of spite.

More Novell than openSUSE, but still.

No, the package manager is what's great about it.

Is there a cut down (arch-levels) version of this, I like YaST

It's great if you want to use it as is however it's not a big fan of being riced. Other wise it can be as up to date (if not more so) as Arch. To quote who I think was the president of OpenSUSE "It's bleeding edge with less blood."

That being said it also has less documentation then some others. I just gave it for Arch myself cus it's in a lot of ways harder to get help.

susestudio.com/

youtube.com/watch?v=r0qBaBb1Y-U

What the fuck

Im on arch and i was testing OpenSUSE on a VM runs smooth and just use gecko linux if you dont want bloat but....i should change Arch for OpenSUSE? because the only downside of openSUSE is the lack of some packages that AUR have, and the good part is that it feels pretty stable ( even on tumbleweed )

if you need nvidia drivers, no. Otherwise, yes.

Fedora and ubuntu are unpopular for the same reason, they're run by "the man"

I use Gecko. It's Opensuse without the bullshit.

You can literally install no DE at all if you choose to. There's a server install that gives you a basic system with whatever CLI tools you might want.

Most distros do this in some shape or form. I don't know why so many people think only Arch, Gentoo and Void can be used to make minimalist systems.

I don't see a reason to use it over ubuntu

During installation, when it asks you for what DE you want to use (Gnome, KDE, Server or Custom) select "custom", and deselect everything you dont need. There aren't many things to go through so it won't take much time.

I'd imagine most people think this because those distributions market themselves as "minimal".

suse is a massive commercial success, that Sup Forumsentooman don't use it means nothing

bleeding edge rolling release will always be a clusterfuck, that's why nobody uses that release model for anything serious

how often is SUSE used in commercial settings compared to RedHat?

they have contracts with everyone, cisco/amazon/hp/symantec

they do not need the desktop linux thinkpad market

germans

Seconded, I just installed it on a VM and Gecko had one of the fastest, easiest Linux installs I've ever had. Pretty noob-friendly, I'd say.

It even had all the prerequisite packages for installing Linux From Scratch, so I can easily use the Gecko LiveCD to do it.

This was a good find!

It's pretty good, Gecko can be used if you don't want some bloat

My physics department's local cluster and many others I have access to use SUSE. They all love it for some reason

bump

Leap 42.2 with Gnome
>tfw real engineering, no fagotry

Use server install

How do they handle ABI incompatibilities between library versions? They can't possibly build 50 different versions of a package for each combination of libraries.

>Powerusers want Arch for "muh minimalism"
Arch is bloated though. no other distro compiles absolutely everything into their binaries.
Why does this "minimal arch" meme even exist?

There is a netinstall version, its 85MB. I used to dd it onto a usb drive and install through wifi.

link? I can't find it

>link? I can't find it
mane
software.opensuse.org/distributions/leap
t. eri

shiiiit, my bad man, my bad

Novell did it a long time ago. That was a message to enterprises to not fear of using linux, especially SUSE.
Attachmate separated Novell from SUSE a long time ago.

so what are the cons?

I don't get the arch "minimal shit" argument. All distros have a minimal instal including opensuse.

nVidia maintains a RPM repository for openSUSE and SLES/SLED. It's pretty easy to install and upgrade nVidia drivers on SUSE.

it gets boring when stuff just werks

what? but on the wiki shows that you need to install NVIDIA MANUALLY for tumbleweed versions

Agreed. I've been using opensuse since leap came out. It's pretty damn solid.

Stable KDE 5 implementation as well. Cannot say that about fedoras, some of the fucking KDE apps don't even start on fedora KDE spin :/

I want it to just work. Tired or arch. I realized that I use computer to do tasks. My task is not to make the computer work.

What would you use instead? I don't know anything about physics

so fedora or opensuse? this will hopefully be my last distro hop

Between those two? Debian9

Sorry, i mean openSUSE Leap and SLES/SLED. Tumbleweed is a rolling release, no repo for it.

Opensuse imo. Im a KDE shill though. Anything written using gtk is trash in my opinion.

Fedora KDE is hilariously bad.

I use KDE too, suse with kde good?

What's SUSE stereotypically good for? Like how Ubuntu is good for games and arch is good for shitposting

reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/6htqzx/why_do_you_use_opensuse/

>no repo

then how do they get their apps?

Briefly used OpenSUSE, my findings are:
-smaller repos than debian based distros, can somewhat mitigate by using
-btrfs breaks, try installing and updating it on a small ssd, it will run out of space as defaults for amount of snapshots is set too high by default, high update count might wear out shitty consumer ssds early
-not as well supported as say ubuntu, had to find workarounds for steam games
-no ZFS, would be awesome to have as it is more stable than btrfs AND offers snapshots for everything next to software but openSUSE won't due to licensing

+feels mature, had in repo stuff just work, including KDE
+GUI for everything, feels like Linux in 2017, no I don't hate CLI, I just like having both CLI and GUI as there is purpose to both
+installer wizard, gui configuration, rolling and stable!

you cannot unsee

lmfao did you just make that right now

-smaller repos than debian based distros, can somewhat mitigate by using community repos, much like ppas on debian based.

Sounds great, one question - Leap or Tumbleweed?
I'd rather use newer software, don't know how much is it stable and how often is software updated in Leap.

because it doesn't come with Xorg.
thats literally it.
the only way that its minimal is the amount of effort the devs need to put into it.
its not actually minimal to the user.
unless you are a ricer. to ricers, minimal means starting off without Xorg.

You must be at least 18 to post here.

I remember the first time I tried fedora (2 months ago).
>installer very user friendly
>everything goes smooth
>get to desktop
>1 second later: GNOME has crashed

SUSE is the only stable KDE distro.

btrfs breaks, try installing and updating it on a small ssd, it will run out of space as defaults for amount of snapshots is set too high by default, high update count might wear out shitty consumer ssds early
>shitty consumer ssd

It doesn't broke if you are not faggot

ext4 still exist

I always switched it from BTFS to EXT4 when I used Opensuse

so as xfs

yeah that shit hasnt been working for me for years. i cant login - no login option except novel is working.

OpenSUSE on the first page