/hpg/ - Headphone General

>/Hpg/ Pastebin:
pastebin.com/u/hpg

Please put some effort into your requests and questions and keep shilling to a minimum.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Other urls found in this thread:

headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph
en.goldenears.net/10634
monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Idol trash reporting in.
What's your setup, user?

Reminder: You cannot hear a difference between 16 and 24 bit, or 44.1 khz and anything higher, unless sample rates above 44.1 khz are producing harmonic distortion in your audio equipment by reproducing supersonics, which can happen. All encoding music to anything higher than 16/44.1 accomplishes is increasing file size and possibly creating harmonic distortion.

Friendly reminder, while HD music is a meme, there's nothing magic to 16bit/44.1KHz. It's just what the Audio CD standard does use.
Computers, videogames, DVD movies, digital TV streams and other media tend to use 16bit/48KHz.
Resampling between both formats is discouraged.

Bump

What's a good setup for good fidelity and limit volume (dB) on headphones?
Hardware limit, compressor, both, equalizer, other?

tfw comfy

The Beats by Dr. Dre Studio 2.0 Wireless is the best pair of headphones on the market right now.
>Fashionable
>Noise cancelling
>Bluetooth with 12 hour battery life
>Bass heavy so it sounds good with today's music, rather than being a boring "studio monitor"
Prove me wrong.

Sony MDR100 h.ear wireless costs 180 and looks better, has a 20 hour battery, better noise cancellation software, aptx support and is also on the warm side while also being constructed better.

Izotope Ozone does a really good job at dithering. I've converted 24/96 to 16/44 to save storage space before with no audible difference resulting.

>Bass heavy so it sounds good with today's music
>today's music

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

S A R A C O N
A
R
A
C
O
N

Bluedio T3. Good bass, affordable, and I can use a cable if I need to.

Help Sup Forums, I'm trying to find the frequency chart for a pair of headsets and my google-fu is weak!

Nothing sounds good with today's music

Can I get a second opinion on whether this is a *ballpark" accurate EQ?

headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

?
Why did you link me?
My question was whether I matched my EQ to the graph well or not.

Its not listed.

My bad interpreted it wrong.

>barely move the mids up
>is this an alright EQ?

You tell us m8. How much is 2-3dB really going to help headphones with V-shaped sound signature?

Someone said this last time I asked a related question and they didn't believe me when I told them that the difference was like night and day.

en.goldenears.net/10634 second reference. You should try EQing to both headphone.com and GE's graphs and see which one you like better. EQing to headphone.com's will result in a brighter sound than EQing to GE's.

Thanks m8, i'll test it out. I think I already overcompensated on the treble reduction, so i'm good in that area, unless i've just forgotten what normal treble is like after only listening to DT990's for over 2 years.

GE's graphs are good to EQ to IMO, minus their bass boost. Their curve, minus the bass boost, is close to an ER4S, which many, myself included, consider an ideal frequency response.

This looks like the best place to ask. I brought a pair of Sennheiser HD430's today and for some reason there's only one audio channel that plays in both ears.

Shit's dead, return it.

Never mind, I'm fucking retarded. Pushed the jack connecting into the headphones with herculean strength and now I have both channels

i currently have an O2 amp, would that be enough to drive the HD600 properly?

More than enough. Congratulations. You have reached never upgrade stage.

even if not an upgrade what other headphones would be worth buying just for variety sake?

>smoothed graphs
Fuck off retard

They're fine for EQing purposes. The smoothing only affects high-Q treble peaks/valleys and you shouldn't be solely EQing to a graph anyways; you should be using a sine wave generator as reference for EQing treble, so the smoothed treble peaks in the reference graph are completely irrelevant.

Probably some good planars or headphones known for being pronounced on different sides side of the spectrum.

Just use non smoothed graphs like people who aren't retarded.

Boy, you sure refuted my argument thoroughly by addressing all of its points.

Any decent sub $150 'phones with a built in mic? Preferably closed.

Every one I see of these on ebay for a price I'm willing to pay is in gay fagmo colors.

I'd settle for the silver or black, but fucking pink and red? No thanks

Do you need it to be brand new or you dont mind getting pre-owned / used?

New would be better, I don't think the used market in my country is very substantial.

I'm trying to decide between the Sennheiser 558, the AudioTechnica ATH-M40X, and the AudioTechnica ATH-AD500X/AD700X.

I'll be using these mostly for music and YouTube. I'm not a gamer. I mostly listen to pop, new wave, and rock. I'd prefer a balanced sound signature. Long-term comfort is a factor, but not a deal-breaker.

I think I might be leaning towards the 558. What are your thoughts?

What country?

If you dont mind waiting and have Paypal, there are some really good deals that can be had from ebay international sellers. eg I was able to snag an MDR-1RNC for a hundred dollars shipped.

for those genres I'd say the m40x

HD558 if you can still grab one at a good price.

It's the most comfortable and best sounding from the list of options you mentioned.

They're open but the Philips sph 9500 plus the v-moda boompro gaming mic are probably the best gaming "headset" you can get, both total around $110 on Amazon

im looking for headphones for a poorfag that i can wear all day that are really comfortable, while sound quality being second priority. im bout to cop the BT880 250 amp and FiiO e10k.

Drop the e10k for at least the FiiO Q1. The sound is a little bit better and the bass boost switch doesnt suck.

Trying to pick out replacement pads for my ATH-M40x's. Was using Brainwvz but the right ear pad was fucked up and it was painful to wear after more than 20 minutes. Thinking about maybe the Shure HPAEC1540, but not sold on them. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Why not a DAC X6? It's at about the same price with more power than it and Fulla 2.

Yeah thats alright too I just thought you wanted the portability.

Oh shit, I'm a different user that's just giving suggestions. You're not wrong about the bass boost looking good though. The A3 I think would be better for just amping at the same price.

>bass heavy
>music
kek

Drop the amp and get HD600 instead. They're objectively better and you probably don't need an amp/dac. You should spend your audio money primarily on headphones, not amp/dacs.

You might want the DAC X6 over the E10K as it's a bit cheaper and provides a lot more power.

How's the DAC quality?

Because it was obviously the main thing it came down to after looking at the obvious points like sound quality

>harmonic distortion
IMD*

A good DAC avoids it but a good DAC also makes sure that Redbook is all you need.

What does hpg think of the a550z?

TFW I fell for this meme back in the day.

Monoprice is having a sale. Is it worth picking up this dac/amp: monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567

Sennheiser HD700
Xonar STX soundcard (thinking about upgradign to external DAC & amp but I have some shit to buy before that)

Audeze LCD series headphones are secretly the best headphones for gaming. I've yet to play over 1 hour continuously with this brick on my head.

Is this DAC good enough for my shure srh44?
>pcm2704 USB DAC

>$7 chink USB DAC

Honestly the DAC on your motherboard is probably better, or no worse.

Yea but the one on my laptop isn't loud enough.

why are you looking at DACs when you want an amplifier

>chink
>ok

Look into Schiit Fulla 2.

Can't tell if you're shit posting or not.

At least it's healthy

>>Best, most fashionable headphones.
>>Posts Beats.

>10 ohm output impedance
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING

>HD700

>Bass heavy so it sounds good with today's music
>muddy niggerbass cannons so it sounds like shit even with todays nigger trash music
FTFY

>get Fulla 2
>DT 880 now sounds much better compared to my laptop output

Is this some sort of placebo meme or can the better performance be measured?

Link? Can't find it in white on aliexpress.

DT880 250 Ohm?

Yeah.

That's probably it, they weren't getting enough power or the laptop's DAC is garbage. Probably a mix of both.

My laptop uses some Realtek shit. My main worry was that people were saying that DACs/amps have no effect on sound quality and it's a total scam.

>Philips SHL3265RD
or
>Superlux HD681

what's a decent amp for the dt-990 pro 250 ohm?

>My main worry was that people were saying that DACs/amps have no effect on sound quality and it's a total scam.
DACs and amps have no effect on sound quality and are a total scam past a certain pricepoint. Those pricepoints are $29 for standalone DACs and $100 for standalone amps, save for the exceptional cases of a few super power hungry headphones that a Magni is insufficient for.

I have the same as you but I use a fulla 2 as a dac to go with my magni. I can't see myself changing any of it. Possibly set for life, unless a fulla 3 comes out and has a pretty flawless amp like the magni.

Oh god not this twat again.

Your setup is great, no point in changing any of it. For variety you might as well get some bass cannons for random fun.

It usually is if your the DAC on your onboard sounds fine and if you're getting enough power already to your headphones.
Does absolutely have to be these two choices?
DAC X6/Magni2/Fulla2 so you won't need to get another amp ever again unless you want a big overhaul in the future like NFB-11

Somehow yes, I want something for 30€ that doesn't look and sound like shit

KSC75 or Koss PortaPro. You shouldn't be allowed to have children if you give aesthetics any consideration with regards to audio equipment.

Er, home audio equipment. You're allowed to not look like an autist in public, but if the world's best headphones were pink Hello Kitty headphones you'd be retarded not to use them at home.

>I have the same as you but I use a fulla 2 as a dac to go with my magni.
Idol trash here. Excellent choice.
I considered that, but ended up with the uber modi because I really wanted the spdif coax/optical inputs.
>unless a fulla 3 comes out and has a pretty flawless amp like the magni.
Sure, just don't buy shit for the sake of buying schiit. Getting more headphones is definitely the better idea, if you want to mess around further.

Both are ugly as shit but I'm struggling with my assburgers now to buy them anyway.

They're the best sounding sub-$50 headphones by far. They both use the same drivers; the PortaPro are a bit bass-heavy and the KSC75 are more neutral since they don't clamp as much. The PortaPro are more comfortable.

I'd only get a fulla 3 so I'd have an amp and dac in one unit again, and I'd sell my current stuff to fund it. It's just more convenient having one unit that does everything.

Also, since the PortaPro headband is metal, I'm sure you can simply reduce the clamp by bending the headband to make them more neutral.

Porta pros are actually great looking. Though, I guess younger people won't like them as much. Great sounding headphone for gte money too and you can buy a great little carry case that they fold into.

Lifetime warranty too.